Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
BoLS really needs to find better authors for their painting articles, as what they're doing these days is just sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

BoLS really needs to find better authors for their painting articles, as what they're doing these days is just sad.

Oh my god.

Now BoLS sucks at hobby articles too?

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

BoLS posted:

Women's faces require special consideration as a subtle touch is required to maintain the appearance of femininity.

*cakes face in mascara, rouge and lipstick*

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Arlaharen posted:

*cakes face in mascara, rouge and lipstick*

Thin your makeup.

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...

richyp posted:

Thin your makeup.

Botox your mold-lines.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Chet AwesomeLaser posted:

My basic work flow is:
- Mechrite Red base washed with Devlan Mud
- Boltgun on the metallic bits washed with Badab
- Calthan Brown on anything I plan on painting copper, follower by Dwarven Bronze
- Highlight the red areas (Red Gore and Blood Red) then a light wash of Baal Red to smooth it out
- One last edge highlight with Blood Red
- The rest is detailing (paint chips, weathering, wire colors, checkers, etc)

Whats the technique for the offwhites? Looks a bit like a light grey highlighted with a white, but i feel there is a wash in there somewhere too.

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...

Miles O'Brian posted:

Whats the technique for the offwhites? Looks a bit like a light grey highlighted with a white, but i feel there is a wash in there somewhere too.

Oh yea, forgot about the whites. I start with Astronomican Grey and wash with Mud, redo the rear end-Grey (:mmmhmm:) and build up to skull white on the edges.

Chet AwesomeLaser fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 28, 2011

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

le crosspost: A Kazak tankhunter:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Found some time to finish a Kan last night!

I also managed to stab myself with the hobby knife I was using (as seen in the 2nd pic) :orks:

My basic work flow is:
- Mechrite Red base washed with Devlan Mud
- Boltgun on the metallic bits washed with Badab
- Calthan Brown on anything I plan on painting copper, follower by Dwarven Bronze
- Highlight the red areas (Red Gore and Blood Red) then a light wash of Baal Red to smooth it out
- One last edge highlight with Blood Red
- The rest is detailing (paint chips, weathering, wire colors, checkers, etc)
RED BASE RIMS :swoon:

When you paint another Rokkit, please paint it like Kermit the Frog. I once had a Pulsa Rokkit that was painted like Kermit the Frog, and it fit really really well for some weird reason.

I ask this because I noticed the smiley face on the one Rokkit.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I haven't painted in over a year and now I'm worried whatever I do decide to eventually paint is gonna look like that :ohdear:

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Newb question. Can I thin out a whole bottle of paint by diluting it with water? Whats the best way to thin out my paints? I think I'm applying too thick.

I will post some pics of LotR Haradrim Warriors I've been working on. Its the first thing I've painted and I'd like to get some advice. Thanks.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Bachtere posted:

Best things I've ever painted:

Real men use the backs of their hands :colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

My blotter paper is a pad of stationary from Blizzard that came in my Starcraft box lo those many years ago.

It's nice paper.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I save every soiled napkin from my trips to McDonald's and slowly work through those. Recycling!

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

visuvius posted:

Newb question. Can I thin out a whole bottle of paint by diluting it with water? Whats the best way to thin out my paints? I think I'm applying too thick.

I will post some pics of LotR Haradrim Warriors I've been working on. Its the first thing I've painted and I'd like to get some advice. Thanks.

Water will thin it out fine. I only thin my paints when I put some on a palette, around 50/50 paint/water does the trick for me (I actually use a mix of water & flow aid that I use to make up Les's wash recipe)

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

Angryboot posted:

Yeah you'll see those on some older GW metal minis; it can be either the mold was breaking down or the pouring temperature was too high or plenty of other stuff that they hosed up on during the cast. I left mine alone since it wasn't obscenely bad and the spots were on the lower half of the mini; if it's bugging you that badly I think you can try thinning down Mr. Surfacer and brush over the surface to fill the pits, then do a light sanding if need after everything dries.

I'm not too worried about it because it's only something that's obvious in photos but I'm glad that it's not something I'm doing wrong.

After the one I painted last night I went lighter on the paint and the next one I did turned out a lot better, plus I changed my mind on how I wanted to paint the infantry with a look a bit closer to the standard Steel Legion. I know the pictures are a little lovely and my light is very orange (I really need to get a new bulb for my lamp) but here's the one I painted tonight on the right next to an old one.

Opinions?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ansith posted:

I'm not too worried about it because it's only something that's obvious in photos but I'm glad that it's not something I'm doing wrong.

After the one I painted last night I went lighter on the paint and the next one I did turned out a lot better, plus I changed my mind on how I wanted to paint the infantry with a look a bit closer to the standard Steel Legion. I know the pictures are a little lovely and my light is very orange (I really need to get a new bulb for my lamp) but here's the one I painted tonight on the right next to an old one.

Opinions?

They look good, I really like the old IG metals :)

If you get a copy of Gimp or have Photoshop you can fix the yellow in the pictures by choosing Adjust levels and selecting the white paper as the white sample to adjust the image to make the colours appear normal. Here's the above pictures after selecting the white paper as the the white sample:

Simpo
May 1, 2008
Made this for the oath thread, thought I'd share

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

drat Simpo that is great. His pose and expression are just perfect. Where is that head from?

Simpo
May 1, 2008
Its all sculpted by me.

Thinking about it, I probably should have taken more pictures before priming him, oh well.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Holy poo poo, that is pretty amazing. Next time you're doing something like that, please do take some pictures along the way! It would be really cool to see some step-by-steps.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Simpo posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9vrfEoc8_g

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Simpo posted:

Wow thats really great! nice to see why the legs you posted earlier looked so awkward. With the rest of the body they look perfect.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
That is insane Simpo, and Captain Invictus that little dude looks badass.

I really want to paint more miniature but my problem is I have like zero interest in any of these games. I'd actually be down to try but none of my nerds friends are into these types of games. I went to the local comic shop and looked for something neat to paint -- there were a poo poo ton of things and series to choose from but I couldn't settle on anything I liked. I guess basically I'm just looking for neat poo poo to paint. I was actually thinking some kind of mech would be cool. I really dig the look of that "Kan" you painted Captain, what is that from? Is that a Warhammer thing? I imagine I could find it at the local Games Workshop place?

I have a couple more of these LotR dudes to finish but after that I'll need something else.

I have a feeling I've applied the paint too thickly. When you guys thin out your paints 2:1 or even 1:1, how many drat coats do you have to apply? Something like Scab or Gore Red already seem really thin when you apply the first coat? Doesn't it take forever to paint the model when you thin like that?

Secondly, how the hell do you guys figure out which parts of the model to shade and highlight and where to cut off the shade/highlight? I read some articles and I get the gist of it but when I try it, it looks stupid.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

visuvius posted:

I have a feeling I've applied the paint too thickly. When you guys thin out your paints 2:1 or even 1:1, how many drat coats do you have to apply? Something like Scab or Gore Red already seem really thin when you apply the first coat? Doesn't it take forever to paint the model when you thin like that?

It does take a while, but the idea is that several thin coats applied over time will look a lot better than one thick coat applied in a rush. That's one reason why Citadel Foundation paints are a godsend - you can quickly get a basecoat down (which makes getting "thin" colors like red and yellow done a hell of a lot easier). It's one of those things you tend to pick up and figure out over time, really.

quote:

Secondly, how the hell do you guys figure out which parts of the model to shade and highlight and where to cut off the shade/highlight? I read some articles and I get the gist of it but when I try it, it looks stupid.

Again, in all honesty, the best teacher for that is experience. I find it helps to look at pics of the model/models you're working on, and try to copy or emulate that. It's like writing, in a way. Many authors feel you need to read a lot in order to write well, and I'd say the same applies here - in order to paint well, you need to study other people's paintjobs. I know in some ways this can be self-defeating (in that sometimes people see a paintjob that's just absolutely amazing, go "well I'll never reach that level" and quit), but I find it helps inspire me.

One rule of thumb I should add when it comes to highlights is, the cleaner and simpler, the better. It'll look better if you have a model with just three colors per area (shade/basecoat/highlight) with simple clean highlights and shades. Again, this is something I feel you'll develop a knack for over time.

Looking at the pics of the minis you posted, I'd say you have a lot of the basics down pat. Colors don't clash horribly and the paint is applied neatly and "inside the lines". I'd just say to continue focusing on making those skills stronger, and work up to the more advanced highlighting and shading as time goes.

One other thing: Citadel Washes make "cheating" a paintjob almost ridiculously easy. On guys like these Red Corsairs I did, it was almost comically simple: prime black, basecoat certain parts Mechrite Red, wash with Devlan Mud, touch up certain areas again with Mechrite Red, highlight Blood Red, wash with Baal Red.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Someone asked me to post pictures of my completed eldar army. These are pics posted online by a friend and an unknown person. The lighting in the hall was very yellow, but you get the gist of things.

(I was still drunk and stoned from the celebrations the night before and didn't put any effort into setting up the army. I was awake for 28 hours straight at this point)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Big Willy Style posted:

Someone asked me to post pictures of my completed eldar army. These are pics posted online by a friend and an unknown person. The lighting in the hall was very yellow, but you get the gist of things.

(I was still drunk and stoned from the celebrations the night before and didn't put any effort into setting up the army. I was awake for 28 hours straight at this point)

I hate seeing stuff like this because now I want to collect an Eldar army on top of Space Marines and Dark Eldar and... :argh:

Seriously, that's some good stuff right there. :)

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I love black and yellow eldar. Thanks Big Willy Style.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This page = pro as hell, qtiyd

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fyrbrand posted:

quotin' dis

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Just in case any Canadian goons care miniwargaming.com is having a 30% off sale June 30th.

Also does anyone think $52.50 shipped is a good price on 2 drop pods NIB?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Fyrbrand posted:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Big Willy Style posted:

Very nice.

It's Craftworld Wyu-Taengg

Fyrbrand posted:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Fyrbrand posted:

If this page were a delightful italian preserved meat, it would be soprossata.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Hey thread. I've been out of the game for a while. I thought I'd share what may have gotten me out of this Painting lull. I apologize for the picture quality, my software is poo poo. Also, I haven't built or bought a light box and my jerry rigged setup is broken.

I don't know poo poo about Infinity, but their models are quite awesome.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Any advice for stripping paint from models? I've got some metal minis, and I've soaked them in Simple Green for two days (granted, old Simple Green that was used to clean up models previously. It's practically black now), and while most of the paint came off, there's still more primer than I'd like stuck in various cracks, especially on fur coats.

I'd normally just dump the jar, and fill it with some fresh stuff to see if that'd help, but I don't know if it's environmentally sound to just dump it down a drain, and I worry about staining the sink.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

demota posted:

Any advice for stripping paint from models? I've got some metal minis, and I've soaked them in Simple Green for two days (granted, old Simple Green that was used to clean up models previously. It's practically black now), and while most of the paint came off, there's still more primer than I'd like stuck in various cracks, especially on fur coats.

I'd normally just dump the jar, and fill it with some fresh stuff to see if that'd help, but I don't know if it's environmentally sound to just dump it down a drain, and I worry about staining the sink.

Simple Green's site says that it is non-toxic and biodegradable, so it should be ok to dump. Then again it also says don't pour it down a storm drain since its a degreaser.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

NecronSchmecron posted:

Hey thread. I've been out of the game for a while. I thought I'd share what may have gotten me out of this Painting lull. I apologize for the picture quality, my software is poo poo. Also, I haven't built or bought a light box and my jerry rigged setup is broken.

I don't know poo poo about Infinity, but their models are quite awesome.

Just for you, Angel Giraldez, Corvus Belli studio painter, did a full thread of WIPs and tips.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

demota posted:

Simple Green is fine. I just used it to strip a battlewagon, and it worked really well. Fresh stuff will definitely improve your results, and don't worry about dumping it down the drain. It won't stain your sink or anything; just pour some water in after it to make sure the paint goes all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fix posted:

Just for you, Angel Giraldez, Corvus Belli studio painter, did a full thread of WIPs and tips.

Wanna click this link but Angel Giraldez basically makes me want to quit this hobby forever.

• Locked thread