Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DjLando posted:

For those who recommended Misfits; thank you very VERY much..
What a great, great show that is! And it has by far the best music ost's ever.

I still say Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes has the best soundtrack. Misfits is still awesome though. Where are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Watching Weeds now. After a few episodes, really liking it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hulu is now adding a new episode of Misfits a week for anyone who wants to watch it. There's only 13 episodes in total, so it won't be long until they are all up.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Just finished season 3 of BSG yesterday. I want to keep plowing through but I want simulate a bit of a break as well.

I'm not sure if I liked it more than season two, but I do like how it got more going on the mystery side. There were tons of episodes I liked, especially Exodus 1 and 2, but also some that seemed like blatant filler (which I understand happens).

Still kind of digesting how I feel about the big reveal in the finale.

Feb 8, 2008
Me and my SO have been absolutely loving Skins (the UK version). First 3 series are up on Netflix instant, with 5 series total.
It pretty much knocks out any other teen drama series ever made. I can honestly say it makes shows like The OC or Gossip Girl look like Sesame Street. Great writing, great acting, well shot, and pretty drat realistic (but with plenty of dry British humor too). It's also nice to see a show about teenagers where they are played by actual teenagers. I'm pretty sure none of the actors are much over 18. Can't recommend this show enough.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

tuckfard posted:

Just finished season 3 of BSG yesterday. I want to keep plowing through but I want simulate a bit of a break as well.

I'm not sure if I liked it more than season two, but I do like how it got more going on the mystery side. There were tons of episodes I liked, especially Exodus 1 and 2, but also some that seemed like blatant filler (which I understand happens).

Still kind of digesting how I feel about the big reveal in the finale.

For me it wasn't season 2 or 3, but rather the intersection of the two that was the apex of the show. The last few episodes of season 2 plus the first 6 or so of season 3 were quite possibly my favorite thing I've ever seen on TV. I felt like season 3 started sliding off in the second half, though.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin

Trig Discipline posted:

For me it wasn't season 2 or 3, but rather the intersection of the two that was the apex of the show. The last few episodes of season 2 plus the first 6 or so of season 3 were quite possibly my favorite thing I've ever seen on TV. I felt like season 3 started sliding off in the second half, though.

Yeah I think I agree with that exactly, actually.

hairytruman
Jun 9, 2009
I've been rewatching Daria (currently on season 3) after having not seen it for 8 years or so. Still very entertaining!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Vivek posted:

I just started season 3 of Friday Night Lights (two episodes in), and I'm not too happy. Where the gently caress is Jason Street!?.

I didn't even realize people liked him. After maybe the first half of season 1 I couldn't stand anything involving him, and especially him and Lyla (for the most part; there was some good stuff).

He has a major storyline in season 3 so don't worry. It's his last season on the show though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Well I just finished watching all of Torchwood. The first two seasons were such utter terrible crap, I honestly had no idea why people recommended it. And then the 3rd season happened.

Holy poo poo. It's like I just watched an entirely different show using the same characters, only run by competent people. I can honestly say I don't think another show has jumped THAT MUCH in quality between seasons.

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.
Ive got so many TV shows lined up. Right now I'm tearing through Rescue Me about halfway through Season 3 on Netflix. When I'm done with that Im probably going to move on to Dr Who and Torchwood.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

qbert posted:

Well I just finished watching all of Torchwood. The first two seasons were such utter terrible crap, I honestly had no idea why people recommended it. And then the 3rd season happened.

Holy poo poo. It's like I just watched an entirely different show using the same characters, only run by competent people. I can honestly say I don't think another show has jumped THAT MUCH in quality between seasons.

Hmm, I tried Torchwood a while back and got like, 3 or 4 episodes in and couldn't stand how in-your-face it was about being an "adult" show. It was like the show had a perpetual smug grin about being the "adult" Doctor Who, and the plot was just boring as poo poo.

Might try it again, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Hmm, I tried Torchwood a while back and got like, 3 or 4 episodes in and couldn't stand how in-your-face it was about being an "adult" show. It was like the show had a perpetual smug grin about being the "adult" Doctor Who, and the plot was just boring as poo poo.

Just skip the first two seasons. They are awful and have such great things as cyberwoman a rapist frog faced "hero" everyone is bisexual, a monster who feeds on orgasms, Spike eying a poodle, and a lot more crap.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

The first two seasons are god-awful, not worth your time, seriously some of the worst sci-fi melodrama out there. Sure, there's a handful of decent moments here and there, but I'm telling you the first two seasons of Torchwood make Doctor Who look like loving Shakespeare.

The 3rd season is incredible and is probably the best thing RTD's written. It's a 5-ep miniseries, just one continuous story. Do yourself a favor and just skip straight to Season 3 because you don't need to know anything that happened in Seasons 1 or 2 to understand it.

Wynter
Aug 18, 2005

Chillaxeing
I've been cruising through Life on Mars and about to start Daybreak. Life on Mars has been really good so far; I love Keitel in tough guy roles and the soundtrack is amazing, plus the little twists of surreality are refreshing. I wasn't entirely sold by the overlying plot at first, but then I learned to kick back and just enjoy the 8-track, and it's been very entertaining.

I also recently finished a second run through Babylon 5 - amazingly well executed sci-fi and storytelling; I didn't even mind the clunky 90s f/x (or notice it really). Charged through the lot of them in a few weeks, plus the movies (which were not bad, but not amazing). Steer clear of the Legend of the Rangers series tho, it's a horrible mutant chud-baby of a spinoff.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Wynter posted:

I've been cruising through Life on Mars and about to start Daybreak. Life on Mars has been really good so far; I love Keitel in tough guy roles and the soundtrack is amazing, plus the little twists of surreality are refreshing.

You're watching the wrong Life on Mars. The one with the notoriously terrible ending. Just warning you.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Superrodan posted:

You're watching the wrong Life on Mars. The one with the notoriously terrible ending. Just warning you.

Plus it only got one season, whereas the good Life on Mars got 2 seasons and Ashes to Ashes.

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water

bobkatt013 posted:

I still say Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes has the best soundtrack. Misfits is still awesome though. Where are you?

Just finished season 2; really looking forward to season 3 but drat, no Nathan :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Plus it only got one season, whereas the good Life on Mars got 2 seasons and Ashes to Ashes.

There are more US episodes of Life on Mars than the Brit one

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Been going through The Shield and Misfits thanks to this thread, intending to watch Day Break and Life on Mars sometime in the near future.

Can anyone recommend MI:5? It's on netflix and although a quick google search tells me a few good things I was wondering if anyone else has seen it.

Oh yeah, and everyone watch Sherlock if you haven't already.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Logan 5 posted:

Can anyone recommend MI:5? It's on netflix and although a quick google search tells me a few good things I was wondering if anyone else has seen it.

If that's Spooks, then the first season is quite good but it gets progressively worse as it goes on.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Flatscan posted:

If that's Spooks, then the first season is quite good but it gets progressively worse as it goes on.

Yeah, it is apparently, MI:5 is the U.S. name for the show. So if I don't have anything else to watch I guess I'll watch it till I get tired of it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I kinda liked certain episodes of seasons 1+2 of Torchwood. Taken as a whole it's not very good, since there's a ton of awful crap, but I have a real fondness for it. It's the only remotely queer sci-fi television series in the entire history of sci-fi television, so I have a soft spot in my heart for it, if only because of that.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I'm binging through American Dad currently. I always ignored it because Family Guy was "no story, crude jokes, flashbacks 24/7" for me (and it still is) and I thought American Dad was the same with a different setting. But it is surprisingly good and fun and does have actual storylines.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Logan 5 posted:

Yeah, it is apparently, MI:5 is the U.S. name for the show. So if I don't have anything else to watch I guess I'll watch it till I get tired of it.

Spooks put me to sleep. I watched the first 5 episodes and it reminded me of 24 with 1/8 of the budget.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
I've never seen Firefly before so after all the recommendations I finally sat down and started to watch it. I'm up as far as episode 8 I think where Jayne is the hero of Mud Town. I couldn't stop laughing when they started singing a song about him.

It's a good show, but so far I think it's been slightly overrated to be honest. I find a lot of the dialog to be very cheesy. But definitley not cancel worthy and a lot better than most of the crap on these days.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

dmccaff posted:

I've never seen Firefly before so after all the recommendations I finally sat down and started to watch it. I'm up as far as episode 8 I think where Jayne is the hero of Mud Town. I couldn't stop laughing when they started singing a song about him.

It's a good show, but so far I think it's been slightly overrated to be honest. I find a lot of the dialog to be very cheesy. But definitley not cancel worthy and a lot better than most of the crap on these days.

You might change your tune about it being overrated when you see Serenity. The movie is basically the next season/season and a half that we didn't get to see, boiled down to 2 hours. It's also a pretty drat satisfying bookend to the series, although there are still plenty of plotthreads that could be picked up.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

dmccaff posted:

I'm pretty sure you haven't watched the best episodes of the series yet.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I'm pretty sure you haven't watched the best episodes of the series yet.

Probably not but I went in expecting a masterpiece after all the rave reviews and outcries after its cancellation. It's a very good show though.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

dmccaff posted:

Probably not but I went in expecting a masterpiece after all the rave reviews and outcries after its cancellation. It's a very good show though.

I thought that the chemistry between all of the characters was spot on.

http://steampunkcostume.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/jayne-hat.jpg

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Firefly isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but I agree that it's pretty drat overrated. I think if it hadn't been hosed with as bad/cancelled it wouldn't be anywhere near as universally praised. Then again, much like Chuck, it seems to be custom-made to appeal to the kind of people who turn into rabid obsessive creeps over TV shows, so who knows?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

dmccaff posted:

The next episode is probably my favorite. I envy you seeing it for the first time.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Superrodan posted:

The next episode is probably my favorite. I envy you seeing it for the first time.

Oh man, Out of Gas was fantastic. That made the show go from decently enjoyable to amazing in just one episode.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I agree that in a twist of irony, Firefly's greatness is in some small part due to its bad handling and early cancellation which was the perfect formula to make it a complete cult classic and helped to validate stuff like the browncoat movement. That being said it is pretty great stuff, but gets overhyped which sort of spoils it for newcomers. Sometimes I wonder how well it really would have held up past about the 2nd season. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I think there's a lot of nobility and maturity for a show's producers & writers to bring it to a conclusion even when they could pad it out for extra seasons due to popularity (eg. House). But in Firefly's case (not being privy to what's inside Whedon's head) I imagine the show would have had a short shelf life of 3-4ish seasons before they started to run out of steam and start running afoul of stretching it too thin.

Anyway, a little while ago I borrowed Carnivale from a friend and must have misheard him because I thought he said he had "only two seasons" and what he really said was "it's only two seasons". Because after finishing the S2 finale I was really looking forward to what happened next (although it was a good finale all in all) and got a bit disappointed/shocked to see that was it. Is there seriously nothing past that? What a shame.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 1, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Yes no more Carnivale. Also Browncoats are the worst people in the world outside of Supernatural fans.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Decius posted:

I'm binging through American Dad currently. I always ignored it because Family Guy was "no story, crude jokes, flashbacks 24/7" for me (and it still is) and I thought American Dad was the same with a different setting. But it is surprisingly good and fun and does have actual storylines.

AD makes a big leap in quality during seasons 4 and 5, and quickly became one of my favorite comedies.

And I just splurged though Avatar: The Last Airbender again. drat that show is fresh.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Just started watching Cowboy Bebop as it's been mentioned as one of the better anime TV shows around.

I'm liking it so far. It helps that it's so goddamn stylish. The music is fantastic.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

SmokinDan posted:

Just started watching Cowboy Bebop as it's been mentioned as one of the better anime TV shows around.

I'm liking it so far. It helps that it's so goddamn stylish. The music is fantastic.

You should check this out.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I still constantly listen to the Cowboy Bebop music. My favorite tune is piano black http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81m8_5mccgA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I was always kinda fascinated by Cowboy Bebop music, because while it was very good it was also so bizarre and didn't really sound like anything else. It's this strange fusion of jazz, funk, electronica, and probably a bunch of other stuff filtered through a Japanese pop sensibility, and there's an imitative quality to it that always interested me. Like, it's the way some Japanese musicians perceive American jazz, as opposed to just being American jazz in and of itself.

It's a good anime though, definitely worth seeing if you like that sort of thing. I still feel like Firefly owes a great deal to Cowboy Bebop, and no matter how much I enjoy Firefly, Bebop feels like the real thing to me.

edit: And the Music For Freelance album is actually my fave bit of Bebop music, because it takes that Japanese-filtered American jazz and has it remixed over again by Western electronica artists, so it winds up being some serious cross-cultural weirdness.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 2, 2011