Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

thisdude23 posted:

Quick question (and need advice). I want to get rid of TEP but are there any alternatives out there? What are the pros/cons? I know of SquareTrade but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

fknlo posted:

FYI, EPRP isn't eligible for this.

I got it on a SERO account 3 months ago asking once in chat after I asked to be upgraded to SERO Premium.

Agent: "Unfortunately, we are unable to provision the discount to your account as you are currently participating in the SERO Plan. This is already a highly discounted plan and no loyalty or company discount is compatible with this plan."
Me: "Oh okay, I understand"
Agent: "I noticed that you are Sprint long time customer and loyal. I consider your association with the Sprint so I can offer you $70 credit if you extend the contract for 2 years."

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Myrddin Emrys posted:

What's ancient about it?

Well that it is just as ugly as it was on the Hero. Same person that designed the hardware look of the HTC Mogul had to design the Sense Launcher. How can anyone like that launcher is beyond me. Thank God for root,and if you can't root thank God for ADW & LPP.

Still good thing is someone will take all the good things about Sense 3.0 and put them on a good ROM that will allow to customize the ugly away once root is available for the 3D. Even already a non-Sense ROM, MIUI, has taken inspiration from Sense 3.0 and made the greatest customizable lock screen ever. It is even better than the Sense 3.0 lock screen.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

change my name posted:

Are there any other phones that use the 3d's big square battery or is it proprietary? Also I read a review that said using 3d features seemed to drain the battery at about a percent a minute, does that sound right?

Well, all phone batteries are proprietary in that an HTC battery won't work in a Motorola phone, etc. That said, I do think the E3D's battery is currently unique to it, but the Evo used the same battery as the TP2 and a few other HTC devices...I'd be surprised if the E3D battery doesn't become one of their new standard batteries.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I took about 40 3D pictures with my new EVO 3D this afternoon, and it was pretty fun. But even better was watching a 3D slideshow on my TV. The pictures look absolutely amazing. It was really a bit like being there. I can't wait to take pictures on my next vacation.

I was also surprised that the phone pulled some stuff over bluetooth from my EVO 4G during the setup process. I dropped the same SD card from my 4G in my phone, restored some ADW EX settings, and I feel like I lost almost nothing.

edit: Good news - when copying 3D pictures to DropBox, there is an option to convert to 2D or use the 3D file. Built-in options like printing or Set As... auto-convert to 2D, and the quality is very good. That makes it a little easier to justify taking pictures in 3D and just dropping to 2D after the fact.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 29, 2011

entr0py
Jan 31, 2004

A real-life robot.
Ported two lines over today from ATT and everything went very smoothly. Props to duckman for the thread and goonerocity.

Coming from an iPhone 3G, the Evo 3D is blowing me away. I could really care less about the 3D aspect and I prefer LauncherPro to the Sense 3.0 launcher, but everything else is fantastic. Using an Android device that is this capable is such a far cry from what I've been used to.

I also picked up an Otterbox Commuter case and it seems great and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. However, when I went to put on the screen protector I did notice a speck of dust under the glass. I did some reading, and while this is extremely minor and barely noticeable, it seems as though build quality has been a concern for HTC in the past.

How spergy would it be if I went in to a Sprint store to get an exchange, pointing out the minuscule manufacturing defect on my 3D?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

change my name posted:

Are there any other phones that use the 3d's big square battery or is it proprietary? Also I read a review that said using 3d features seemed to drain the battery at about a percent a minute, does that sound right?

Folks have been reporting being able to watch green hornet and still have a substantial amount of juice left. I might be inclined to say they mean "using the 3D camera" in which case it might make more sense - double cameras and all that.

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007
I'm thinking it's about time to move on from the Pre, since the contract is almost up. Is there any reason I shouldn't get an EVO 3D from Amazon? They're selling them for $180.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I'm getting an EVO 3D soon and have a couple of questions.

The company I work for directly pays for our cellphones and the cellphone service. I'm wondering if it would be possible to pay for any apps I purchase with my own separate account, I doubt my boss would be very happy if I bought some games on the company dime.

While using the phone as a mobile hotspot can you still make and receive calls? Is there a third party app that lets you bypass the $29.99 monthly fee for this?

I'm coming from a Palm Pre which comes with Sprint Navigation. As far as I know there was no extra monthly fee to use it or else the plan my company has everyone set up on has it included. Is there an extra charge or fee for whatever GPS program the 3D comes with?

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Smoking_Dragon posted:

The company I work for directly pays for our cellphones and the cellphone service. I'm wondering if it would be possible to pay for any apps I purchase with my own separate account, I doubt my boss would be very happy if I bought some games on the company dime.

Your purchases through your phone are tied to your google account and can be paid for with your credit/debit card

quote:

I'm coming from a Palm Pre which comes with Sprint Navigation. As far as I know there was no extra monthly fee to use it or else the plan my company has everyone set up on has it included. Is there an extra charge or fee for whatever GPS program the 3D comes with?

You can use Google Maps as navigation and it is free

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'm getting an EVO 3D soon and have a couple of questions.

While using the phone as a mobile hotspot can you still make and receive calls? Is there a third party app that lets you bypass the $29.99 monthly fee for this?

You can use Google checkout to pay for apps, yes to calls but it will stop being a hotspot during the call, you can get WiFi tethering for free with rooting your phone but this is against the TOS and don't bitch if you get slapped for it, and as far as I have used the navigation it has been free, even though gMaps will do navigation and will probably always be free.

E: I like the way I wrote mine more :unsmith:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Duckman2008 posted:

Let us know your thoughts on the phone!

Thoughts on the Echo after a weekish on it. Granted I'm coming from a Touch Pro 2.

I'm not sure I like Android as a phone system. I don't see any difference between the Android Market then the sprint market on my old dumb phone. It's thousands of crappy apps that I'll try once and realize suck. I have a half dozen pool games on my phone for just this reason. One thing I miss about the TP2 is it felt like a phones operating system. I know that it was because of the HTC skin over WinMo but so far it's irritating trying to get android to act like I want a phone to act.

As for the actual hardware. It's smooth. I love that I click something and it does it. It's nice to want to show off something on my phone and not have to say, "hold on a second it does this some times." When It always did that. If I popped on my TP2 to send a text it was like a minute or two of waiting for it to load or send or anything. As for the duel screens. It's nice for web-browsing and reading comics, but I'd rather have a single screen with a high resolution. I've found a few apps that I was excited to use, but didn't work right because of the odd resolution in "tablet" mode. Battery life is crap, it is prolly because I use the second screen as a keyboard everytime I have to type anything... SPEAKING of the keyboard. You have a whole 800x480 screen for a keyboard, GIVE ME ARROW KEYS! and the loving number row. There's enough space for 2 whole more rows when you use the second screen as a keyboard, but no you're stuck with a crappy cellphone keyboard anyway.

Overall I really like it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

RodShaft posted:

but so far it's irritating trying to get android to act like I want a phone to act.

If you'd tell us what you're trying to get it to do, we could tell you how to do it because you can pretty much make Android work however you want.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

RodShaft posted:

I'm not sure I like Android as a phone system. I don't see any difference between the Android Market then the sprint market on my old dumb phone.

The second biggest marketplace (behind Apple's) and you are not happy? Honestly maybe it is not for you or you yet don't know what to look for.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The Entire Universe posted:

yes to calls but it will stop being a hotspot during the call
Even if you're using 4G? I thought data-interruption was a 3G-only problem.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

SLOSifl posted:

I took about 40 3D pictures with my new EVO 3D this afternoon, and it was pretty fun. But even better was watching a 3D slideshow on my TV. The pictures look absolutely amazing. It was really a bit like being there. I can't wait to take pictures on my next vacation.

I was also surprised that the phone pulled some stuff over bluetooth from my EVO 4G during the setup process. I dropped the same SD card from my 4G in my phone, restored some ADW EX settings, and I feel like I lost almost nothing.

edit: Good news - when copying 3D pictures to DropBox, there is an option to convert to 2D or use the 3D file. Built-in options like printing or Set As... auto-convert to 2D, and the quality is very good. That makes it a little easier to justify taking pictures in 3D and just dropping to 2D after the fact.

Does the phone keep the 3D photo and create a 2D copy, or is the 3D version replaced by 2D? If it's the former, that's awesome.

Duckman2008 posted:

I just hate that the Sense 3.0 Launcher is a grid and you have to flick up to see apps in blocks of 5, instead of a smoother transition. Drives me nuts everytime i play with it. Probably my only gripe on sense 3.0.

My biggest issue is the 4x4 grid on the homescreen. There's so much wasted space it's ridiculous. The layout hasn't been updated since the HVGA screen of the Hero. They could have added a 5th row AT LEAST. I also don't like not being able to customize the dock at the bottom. Because of that I'm using Launcher Pro almost exactly the same way I did with my EVO 4G. It's too bad I don't get to use the Sense widgets, but I'll take the functionality of LPP over the eye candy of Rosie.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

It keeps the 3D one and uses a 2D copy for whatever it needs to.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

letsgoflyers81 posted:

My biggest issue is the 4x4 grid on the homescreen. There's so much wasted space it's ridiculous. The layout hasn't been updated since the HVGA screen of the Hero.
When you're designing a touchscreen interface, the concern is the size of the icons, not the resolution they contain. Screens now are only marginally larger than they were two years ago.

Use widgetsoid and make your own custom shortcut layouts, if you want to stick with rosie.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you'd tell us what you're trying to get it to do, we could tell you how to do it because you can pretty much make Android work however you want.
I just need to buckle down, find and organize some widgets. It's just out of the box it feels like when I got my first winmo phone(an. Like its a nice portable OS and look it can make calls too. And just like WinMo, when I started on a ppc6700), I'm sure as soon as I get it all customized it'll be fine.

I'm still kinda a Android virgin... is there an easy way to swap between programs you are currently using. Like holding a txt conversation while playing angry birds.

nate fisher posted:

The second biggest marketplace (behind Apple's) and you are not happy? Honestly maybe it is not for you or you yet don't know what to look for.
I was just giving my first impressions. I've found a lot of apps I like(and use... mostly anything by google) but there is a LOT of crap out there. Some of my complaint is device specific, I'll find a recommended app like for reading comics and it won't work well in tablet mode. The online user community is next to non-existent for this phone, so it's not easy to know how apps will work when you throw them into a giant non-standard resolution. It reminded me of the sprint store when I'd download a java game or something and it'd run in the top corner because it didn't support my specific resolution. Hell, that continued into my TP2.

I just have minor irritants with the phone. I didn't mean my post to come off as bashing android, It's probably the best mobile OS out there.

One last thing about the Echo. I love the tablet mode for reading comics and web pages and things that are nice with higher pixel counts, but the "run 2 different programs at the same time on separate screens" thing is next to useless. I've not done it once except to check it out. when I show people my cool new phone I don't even bother to show them that bit.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I think the problem here is you have an Echo.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

WoG posted:

When you're designing a touchscreen interface, the concern is the size of the icons, not the resolution they contain. Screens now are only marginally larger than they were two years ago.

Use widgetsoid and make your own custom shortcut layouts, if you want to stick with rosie.

It's not the size of the icons or widgets, it's the enormous amount wasted space between them. Everything is the same size in LPP but there isn't wasted space. As for screen size, premium phones these days are at least 4 inches. In terms of usable space that's actually a lot bigger than than 3.2 inches of the early phones.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

RodShaft posted:

I'm still kinda a Android virgin... is there an easy way to swap between programs you are currently using. Like holding a txt conversation while playing angry birds.
You can hold down Home to get a list of "recently used apps" to quickly switch between them.

quote:

I've found a lot of apps I like(and use... mostly anything by google) but there is a LOT of crap out there. Some of my complaint is device specific, I'll find a recommended app like for reading comics and it won't work well in tablet mode.
That's because it's not really a tablet, it's some weird hybrid and the apps just treat it like a big phone screen with a weird resolution.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

entr0py posted:

However, when I went to put on the screen protector I did notice a speck of dust under the glass. I did some reading, and while this is extremely minor and barely noticeable, it seems as though build quality has been a concern for HTC in the past.

How spergy would it be if I went in to a Sprint store to get an exchange, pointing out the minuscule manufacturing defect on my 3D?

I'm in the exact same boat. Everything is perfect with my phone except the tiniest little black speck under the screen, that isn't even noticeable unless i'm looking for it.

BUT IT'S THERE

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

RodShaft posted:

Echo complaints

If sounds like the cons outweigh the pros. You have 30 days from purchase to return it and get a good device unless you bought it used.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If sounds like the cons outweigh the pros. You have 30 days from purchase to return it and get a good device unless you bought it used.

This, definitely something to consider. I know you (rodshaft) are you tring to save the $10 a month, I guess the only other phones I can think of are the Arrive and XPRT Look at both of them.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

helsabot posted:

I'm in the exact same boat. Everything is perfect with my phone except the tiniest little black speck under the screen, that isn't even noticeable unless i'm looking for it.

BUT IT'S THERE

I have decided for this reason to not try to find a mote of dust under my screen. I will never be able to un-see it

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sorry to ask again, but can I get clarification RE: Tethering options for the EVO 3D?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

traveling midget posted:

Sorry to ask again, but can I get clarification RE: Tethering options for the EVO 3D?

A) pay for it
B) PDAnet

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Vykk.Draygo posted:

A) pay for it
B) PDAnet

Thanks. I assumed HTC disabled the Android-built tethering options like they did on the EVO 4G. Just wanted to make sure before I buy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, Sprint is internally testing Android 2.4 which will be an updated Gingerbread for the Nexus S line. Someone from Sprint posted a pic on the forums and clarified that, since it's internal, they can't show more than the photo showing which version of Android it is and that it contains a few "tweaks" to the OS.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-nexus-s-4g/95120-sprint-working-nexus-s-4g-update-os-2-4-a-6.html

The whole thread is about it, but the last page contains the photos and supposed confirmation of it happening.

I thought that the Nexus line was controlled only by Google. Is this something that Sprint is working on with Google? I've googled and found a few videos that seem to be running 2.4 on the T-Mobile Nexus S too.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

I'm leaving the country in a few months, but I'm one of those crotchety old men that held on to his SERO plan. Is it worth anything to anyone, and if so, how would I go about transferring it to someone? Would they have to take my number as well?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

spidoman posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a really cheap hard case for the Evo 3D? Looking to make my own car mount, so basically just need something simple that will keep it's shape...

Ebay is full of stuff like this.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

superm0nk posted:

I'm leaving the country in a few months, but I'm one of those crotchety old men that held on to his SERO plan. Is it worth anything to anyone, and if so, how would I go about transferring it to someone? Would they have to take my number as well?

It usually involves a conference call between you, Sprint and the recipient of the plan. It's called a Transfer of Liability (TOL). For a while there Sprint was refusing to do them any more but it seems like a few people have been successful lately.

The recipient needs to open an account and just get a temporary account number (no plan on the account as it is being transferred over), then give that account number on the conference call.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Have you guys had any issues with the screen becoming non-responsive? Everything works on the unlock screen and I can unlock it, but I can barely do anything else. App menu/Phone/Customize buttons work, but once I'm in those menus, I can't do anything else. I can hit the menu capacitive button and get into any of those areas, but once I'm in there nothing else works. Search button brings up the list of previous searches, but then I can't click on any of them. Restarting the phone brings full functionality back, but it's happened multiple times now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

superm0nk posted:

Someone would buy this. Heck, if my fiance wasn't on a family plan I would consider it. Is it on contract?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

TLG James posted:

Ebay is full of stuff like this.

Thanks, my 8 dollar mount is now ordered, should actually beat the $40 one.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

sonicice posted:

Have you guys had any issues with the screen becoming non-responsive? Everything works on the unlock screen and I can unlock it, but I can barely do anything else. App menu/Phone/Customize buttons work, but once I'm in those menus, I can't do anything else. I can hit the menu capacitive button and get into any of those areas, but once I'm in there nothing else works. Search button brings up the list of previous searches, but then I can't click on any of them. Restarting the phone brings full functionality back, but it's happened multiple times now.

Yes, it's been happening to me more and more. I thought once I left windows mobile I wouldn't have to deal with stuff like this happening anymore. My pre never completely locked up like this before. If the 3D didnt reboot so quickly, I'd probably be pretty angry. It's still very annoying though.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Someone would buy this. Heck, if my fiance wasn't on a family plan I would consider it. Is it on contract?
Your agreement with us, which started on 06/01/10, will be completed on 05/31/12.

I finally gave in and signed last summer for the phone upgrade. It says it's eligible for a $75 credit towards a new phone now.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Turns out I didn't have to travel down to the Sprint store to check out the EVO 3D, they had one in my Radioshack across the street. As soon as I held it in my hand, I knew it must be mine. Now the new concern: How fast can I get this thing and can I get EPRP rates w/o buying it online? I was only passing by so I didn't have time to ask the sales reps anything. Can I transfer my number from AT&T, buy the EPRP rate online, then pick up the phone in the store? I'm somehow thinking this isn't really possible but I am an impatient man who gets off work in 2 hours and would love to have a new phone before I'm home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just got my 3d and I'm actually posting from it now. First thoughts: the screen is beautiful, and everything just seems so intuitive, even if that's more of an android thing. The keyboards are great, even the portrait one. I definitely like the dedicated button that hides the keyboard. Everything seems super smooth and fast, and the 3d is cool even if I have to hold the phone at arms length straight out for it to work.

Dislikes? I keep rubbing the camera pod no matter how I'm trying to hold the phone. Also the wobbling when you lay it down is gonna drive me loving bonkers. Also the voice to speech screen keeps popping up when I hold it sideways, does anyone know why?