Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Ferrule posted:

Check out Mixtapes.

I have (all of the bands on Kind of Like Records are awesome). They're playing Insubordination Fest and I'm excited to see them.

Speaking of Kind of Like, everyone should check out Great Cynics. They sound kind of like a British version of early Against Me without any of the politics, although someone will probably tell me how wrong that statement is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJTx_C44ck0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

dokomoy posted:

Newb post:

I don't know anything really about punk but over the last couple of months I've heard a couple albums that I've liked and was hoping for some recommendations for similar artists as well as maybe some good/"important" albums representing different times and styles of punk.

My exposure to punk consists almost entirely of Bad Religion(I really liked Suffer, No Control and Against the Grain, but everything I've heard after that has ranged from pretty good to meh) Rise Against(I liked there first two albums a bunch, but I wasn't thrilled with anything after Siren Songs of the Counter Culture) and I've listened to bits and pieces of other bands(Anti Flag, Pennywise, The Descendants) and mostly liked what I've heard.

Thanks

listen to prawn right now

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

hedgecore posted:

In my experience, discussion spirals toward opinions on girl singers when I don't mention that up front - while that's its own debate, and still boils down to personal preference, I just normally find it easier to note in the description.

It's easily and almost always interpreted as exploitative when you put it up front. Even if you don't mean to present it as a novelty, it will be interpreted that way. Nobody is going to assume you are doing that to avoid debate.

Punk bands are just punk bands. Leave your gender at the door.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Nobody is going to assume you are doing that to avoid debate.

Yeah, you are absolutely right. I think I'll just stop mentioning it. People can deal.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LCQC posted:

Some entry level requirements:

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Rancid - ...And Out Come the Wolves
Descendents - Milo Goes to College

It's like I'm 16 again!

Punk in Drublic, too.

Saddr Weirdr
Feb 20, 2011

Are you ready for the
SUMMER?
Dead Ringer, I have listened to your Demo before, and your new stuff seems a definite improvement! I still think shorter songs work better for the kind of music you play, but they didn't feel too drawn out this time, which is good. And Kristia's singing is awesome.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I guess this is the right thread? New Mariachi El Bronx album out in August.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mrpwase posted:

I guess this is the right thread? New Mariachi El Bronx album out in August.

Awesome. The first album was shockingly good considering what it was. I also loved how they did tours with El Bronx opening for The Bronx.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Anyone planning on seeing NOFX in Boston on 10/6? I bought a ticket for it, then realized it's the same night as the Bruins home opener and I'm not missing that. Willing to sell it for $25, I paid $31.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
I'm gonna throw this in the punk thread because there really isn't any other place for: Mission of Burma is working on a new LP.

Truncated
Sep 10, 2010
Didn't see these guys anywhere else but it's a big thread.

Hassan I Sabbah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5BUw8Sjp7Y

Funeral Diner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgR5Z9Fx1is

They're both old school screamo/power violence but they are amazing.

Truncated fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 30, 2011

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Off topic, but man, are all of The Hope Conspiracy's albums as awesome as Death Knows Your Name? Somehow I've managed to go years without ever actually listening to them despite being a hardcore fan that grew up in and around Boston. I finally gave 'em a listen after really getting into the All Pigs Must Die EP and... goddamn.

Everything Hope Conspiracy has done is gold. They're the perfect hardcore band.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Truncated posted:

Didn't see these guys anywhere else but it's a big thread.

Hassan I Sabbah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5BUw8Sjp7Y

Funeral Diner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgR5Z9Fx1is

They're both old school screamo/power violence but they are amazing.

Yeah most guys in the thread knows them. Hassan I Sabbah are douches though. I think their singer or bassist stole some money from people who wanted to buy their old records, then he laughed at them for liking the band.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

TheBlackMallard posted:

They got back together right as LaGrecia broke up. I love Shevchuks music, but he has got to be high maintenance.

Haha, I just noticed this thread and thought I'd scan for NMB. I know this post I'm quoting is old, but what do you mean he has got to be high maintenance?

Lipton Iced Tea
Mar 15, 2011

track 03
Joyce Manor tomorrow night. gently caress yes.

Risky
May 18, 2003

LCQC posted:

It's like I'm 16 again!

Also:

Alkaline Trio - From here to infirmary
Screeching Weasel - Bark like a dog
Dropkick Murphys - Sing Loud, Sing Proud!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I feel like Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose is pretty essential. It's pretty drat pro at least.

Also at this point I'd like to hear which stuff he likes most so we can focus recommendations more.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
If we're suggesting essentials:

I'll see Reinventing and add Eternal Cowboy(it gets sad after this)
Dillinger Four - Midwestern Songs of the Americas
None More Black - File Under Black
The Steinways - Missed the Boat
Bent Outta Shape - Stray Dog Town
Rivethead - The Cheap Wine of Youth(download this)

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
"Forever and Counting" and "No Division" by Hot Water Music are extremely essential.

Lipton Iced Tea
Mar 15, 2011

track 03
Zen Arcade
New Day Rising
13 Songs
Repeater
Jersey's Best Dancers
Kid Dynamite
Double Nickels on the Dime
Chamberlain Waits
24 Hour Revenge Therapy
No Gods/No Managers

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheBlackMallard posted:

If we're suggesting essentials:

I'll see Reinventing and add Eternal Cowboy(it gets sad after this)
Dillinger Four - Midwestern Songs of the Americas
None More Black - File Under Black
The Steinways - Missed the Boat
Bent Outta Shape - Stray Dog Town
Rivethead - The Cheap Wine of Youth(download this)

House Boat's Delaware Octopus, too. And Teenage Bottlerocket, pick an album, they all sound the same.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Just got back from Joyce Manor, awesome show. Talked to their lead singer/guitarist, who's one of the nicest guys I've met.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

LCQC posted:

It's like I'm 16 again!

Dickeye posted:

Punk in Drublic, too.

Picked all of these up. Milo Goes to College was my least favorite album, parts of it were excellent, but I think in general it's something I would have liked a lot more 10 years ago. I really liked Punk in Drublic, Relationship of Command and The Shape of Punk to Come, though I had to listen to the last two albums a bunch before I got them(especially The Shape of Punk). I liked And Out Comes the Wolves too, but not as much as the other stuff.

Thanks

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

dokomoy posted:

Newb post:

I don't know anything really about punk but over the last couple of months I've heard a couple albums that I've liked and was hoping for some recommendations for similar artists as well as maybe some good/"important" albums representing different times and styles of punk.

My exposure to punk consists almost entirely of Bad Religion(I really liked Suffer, No Control and Against the Grain, but everything I've heard after that has ranged from pretty good to meh) Rise Against(I liked there first two albums a bunch, but I wasn't thrilled with anything after Siren Songs of the Counter Culture) and I've listened to bits and pieces of other bands(Anti Flag, Pennywise, The Descendants) and mostly liked what I've heard.

Thanks

In addition to what has been said:

Propagandhi - Less Talk, More Rock
The Lawrence Arms - Apathy & Exhaustion
Scared Of Chaka - Masonic Youth
The Lillingtons - Death By Television
The Queers - Love Songs For The Retarded
Avail - Dixie
Leatherface - Mush
Lifetime - Hello Bastards / Jersey's Best Dancers
Screeching Weasel - My Brain Hurts / Anthem For A New Tomorrow

I dunno, kinda just go through the back catalogs of labels all the bands mentioned were on (Fat Wreck Chords, Epitaph, Lookout!, No Idea, etc.) and pick and choose, as you will probably find mostly similar bands.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
This may be only somewhat related to this thread, but has anyone purchased the I Hate Myself records from iTunes? I wish No Idea would just sell them outright but they don't. I own all of the records on vinyl and have copied them over and made MP3s but I suck at it and they sound incredibly lovely, so I'm wondering if those are good quality. I don't want to go to the trouble of installing iTunes and giving them my credit card if they aren't.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

Dickeye posted:

House Boat's Delaware Octopus, too. And Teenage Bottlerocket, pick an album, they all sound the same.

http://houseboat.bandcamp.com/album/new-album-preview

Another new House Boat song is up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheBlackMallard posted:

http://houseboat.bandcamp.com/album/new-album-preview

Another new House Boat song is up.

I wonder how much of this delay is Sam Traffic Street having hella life issues right around now.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Ariza posted:

This may be only somewhat related to this thread, but has anyone purchased the I Hate Myself records from iTunes? I wish No Idea would just sell them outright but they don't. I own all of the records on vinyl and have copied them over and made MP3s but I suck at it and they sound incredibly lovely, so I'm wondering if those are good quality. I don't want to go to the trouble of installing iTunes and giving them my credit card if they aren't.

I have no input on your dilemma but I've been jamming 2 Songs and 10 Songs a ton again lately. So loving good.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
I don't know why I waited so long to get the new hosed Up. Holy poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Angiepants posted:

I don't know why I waited so long to get the new hosed Up. Holy poo poo.

Has the video for Queen of Hearts been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syg6XGbdUkM

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

Yeah last page, but it wasn't embedded. Pretty cool vid.

Schremp Howard posted:

Had a pretty awesome weekend. Algernon/Snowing was on Friday, both were ridiculous. 1994 wasn't really my thing, and I believe there's a brother of Tigers Jaw in Halfling. They were really nervous but have some potential. My friend's band also played (Trainwrecker for those who care) and did a decent enough job for having a fill-in drummer and a bass pedal that broke. Only about fifty people there though, should have been more.

Yeah, I saw their show at Biko Garage in SB, but really, you didn't care for 1994? I thought they were better than Snowing (just watch their drummer, and you'll be amped), but yeah, Algernon was just good times for all as usual.

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies
This thread makes me feel old.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm fairly sure most worthwhile bands have already been mentioned in this 137-page thread, so I'll limit myself to mentioning a few lesser-known ones, both American and European (at the danger of repeating what others have said):

Adequate Seven: English ska-punk
American Distress: fairly straightforward punk, despite being made up of former members of Choking Victim and INDK (not sure if Stza Crack himself is involved)
Antidote: Dutch hardcore punk band, reasonably accessible.
Antischism: I'm actually pretty sure some of you know them, but I'm going to mention them anyway for being uexpectedly good. Crusty hardcore, but somehow it sounds great.
Ballast: Canadian hardcory crust band. Again, normally not my thing, but they sound pretty good. I only wish they had learned how to record properly before splitting up.
Blitzkid: Misfits-like
Capdown: English ska/punk/metal
Contravene: I'm not even going to try and place them under a specific genre. Check these guys out.
Devotchkas: Female-fronted NYC streetpunk
Eskorbuto: Spanish (Basque?) punk band
Flaming Tsunamis: Everything they released before 2006 is fantastic. Fear Everything didn't really do anything for me.
Funeral Dress: Antwerp-based Flemish Oi!/punk band
Intro5pect: Techno-punk
Morning Glory: Another entry in the endless list of Crack Rock bands, but a good one.
No Cash: Leftover Crack-like. I just realized I must really like Leftover Crack considering how often I'm referencing them in this list.
Oi Polloi: Scottish anarcho-punk, only it sounds good.
Oi! Scouts: Very American-sounding yet very awesome streetpunk band.
Raised Fist: Swedish hardcore-hardcore, somewhat comparable to a heavier-sounding Death Threat.
Rx Bandits: Don't dismiss them as just another fruity, poppy ska-punk band, they are surprisingly eclectic and political.
Slime: Underrated eighties German punk band.
Sonic Boom Six: English ska/punk/metal/hiphop band. Awesome.
Warzone: defining NYC hardcore band.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Speaking of, is anybody else going to the Rx Bandits show at the Middle East on the 15th?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

Speaking of, is anybody else going to the Rx Bandits show at the Middle East on the 15th?

I would but after the clusterfuck that was the Souls shows I'm boycotting that place for a while

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
Playing with Night Fever the past 2 nights has been loving amazing. If they come to your city, you are doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't see them. They are so on point live. Also, Double Negative with the new drummer is loving great. They might even be better than they were before which is hard to comprehend.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
If there are any South East QLD goons reading this thread, then I would like to link you to shows that my band Downpour are playing in Brisbane today and Saturday.

FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE

We are driving 700kms to play these two shows and this time we get to play with a heaps of fun local hardcore bands.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Anyone book shows in TN, Ohio, or Albany, NY? Only have three more tour dates to wrap up. http://deadringernj.com

Also Spraynard/Slingshot Dakota/Cheap Girls/BTMI all killed it last Sunday at FUC. Can't get enough of Funtitled.

hedgecore fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 6, 2011

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT_iVmpCSU8

Music video for the Have Nots song "Proud" off their new album. Song/album/band kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
If Direct Hit! isn't your favorite band you're missing the gently caress out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45BJugC3txU