Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Well I just found out that Nightingales is out on DVD. I remember it being really good - hope this purchase doesn't turn out like the time I bought the also-fondly-remembered 'Brass' (which wasn't very good at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

boner meter posted:

Does the fact that I'm really looking forward to the new series of undercover boss preclude me from posting in this thread/ever having opinions on anything ever again?

I've only seen the one episode of it (Harry Ramsdens), but I rather enjoyed it too. It's interesting seeing the top boss getting to understand their organisation from the ground-up instead of just getting top-down MI reports.

As reality shows about business go, it's also a drat sight better than The Apprentice, which has become the new Big Brother in terms providing a show devoid of real content and consisting mainly of stupid challenges performed by a range of frequently cartoonish stereotypes that wrestling fans would call obvious "faces and heels".

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
http://www.johnnyball.co.uk/

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

thehustler posted:

I just can't hate a man who'll unironically use the word "funtastic".

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Oben posted:

I knew they'd do that.

Collins: http://pastebin.com/8ZQU6Czs
Herring: http://pastebin.com/ZTiZhCXD

Thanks. Interesting and sad.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ultrabindu posted:

How does he know that Jenny isn't in on the whole thing?
Coppers intuition originally. Now that she's killed the pimp's grandson that's a bit of a giveaway.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

thehustler posted:

The guy really deserves a better website.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Flatscan posted:

The only other thing in that episode which bothered me was the laser printer making dot-matrix noises. Sound effects guy needs a smack.

I own that printer. It's an Inkjet.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Ingram posted:

I own that printer. It's an Inkjet.

Even so it should be making swish-swish noises, it shouldn't sound like a robot puking.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Flatscan posted:

Even so it should be making swish-swish noises, it shouldn't sound like a robot puking.
Oh well I can't even remember it making a noise. I was too enthralled in the episode :P

Is it true next week is the last one? If so that really sucks. Also what else sucks is that a show this beautiful isn't available on Blu-Ray.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I had an Inkjet that sounded like a deaf Speak and Spell orgy, so I thought it was pretty spot on.

Printer chat, word.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Ingram posted:

Oh well I can't even remember it making a noise. I was too enthralled in the episode :P

Is it true next week is the last one? If so that really sucks. Also what else sucks is that a show this beautiful isn't available on Blu-Ray.

Yes. It was going to be two feature length episodes, but they split it into four.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

I reckon the prop department made one trip to Argos then pissed off down the pub.

Comlink
Nov 21, 2006

Oh yes, yes, yes.... that's BANG on the money!
enjoying luther, the beeb done good.

Kin posted:

Just caught up with Luthor and it was a nice idea (the dice thing was cool), but the stuff in the office rampage felt odd to me. Maybe it's just the places i worked, but if someone was going at people with a hammer and a waterpistol (albeit one with acid) there'd be more of a bumrush action against the guy than mass evacuation of the 100+ people there.

I mean, the previews for the next one show a guy in a trainstation. If that were Queens or Central, they'd have the poo poo kicked out of them in minutes.

really?
you'd rush a guy that was skulling people with a hammer and squirting a liquid that was making your colleagues scream in agony?

i'll let you go first, because i'd be getting the gently caress out of there.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
New Torchwood? HELL YEAH.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Pablo Bluth posted:

I reckon the prop department made one trip to Argos then pissed off down the pub.

And what do you think an actual police station would buy in for drawers and desks?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

ibroxmassive posted:

And what do you think an actual police station would buy in for drawers and desks?

I think it was the "one trip" bit he meant to stress, as that office is pretty desolate. Any real office would have at least three times as many desks in it. Also, that's not the cop shop, that's the place that gets hammer-timed.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Comlink posted:

enjoying luther, the beeb done good.

really?
you'd rush a guy that was skulling people with a hammer and squirting a liquid that was making your colleagues scream in agony?

i'll let you go first, because i'd be getting the gently caress out of there.

Yes, because surprise surprise, the people I work with aren't strangers. They're people I know and probably care about in some way. In most work environments the staff form an almost family like relationship (it comes from spending 40+ hours a week in their company) so when some nutter comes in and starts going off at them (especially with something as measly as a hammer) you probably would pick up something and go at them, as would, most likely, the other staff.

I don't think i've ever worked in a place where everyone would run off in a blind panic if one of our own was being attacked.

edit: i used to work in Argos, the quality of those desks look a little too high for them to have come from there. For one thing, they're intact which means they got all the screws.

Kin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 30, 2011

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Zorba the Greek posted:

New Torchwood? HELL YEAH.

Hah! You think it's more Children of Earth, don't you?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Flatscan posted:

I think it was the "one trip" bit he meant to stress, as that office is pretty desolate. Any real office would have at least three times as many desks in it.
It's not so much open-plan, as open-plain. Plus look at those shelves, there's nowhere near enough poo poo piled on them.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Kerbtree posted:

That looks very Hollywood, I didn't realise that is what Torchwood turned into. I only watched the first few episodes and just stopped; all I can remember is orgasm alien, cyberwoman, fairies and one to do with cannibalism. The cannibalism one was really good, but the others were pretty mediocre.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Kerbtree posted:

It's baffling how well Children of Earth turned out given the dross that preceded it and how poo poo this looks. Shame though, cos it's a decent premise.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Magic Mango posted:

It's baffling how well Children of Earth turned out given the dross that preceded it and how poo poo this looks. Shame though, cos it's a decent premise.

Well it's not going to have Peter Capaldi to improve the whole thing with horrible, yet brilliant, harrowing scenes.

I'm not holding out much hope for the new one. As long as they cut out the weird "Carry On Sci-fi" with the innuendo replaced with gratuitous shite that the first two suffered from, then it might work out fun.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's not so much open-plan, as open-plain. Plus look at those shelves, there's nowhere near enough poo poo piled on them.

Thought they might be going for a deliberate contrast there. Luther & co work out of an exaggeratedly skanky cramped warehouse full of poo poo; the nice investment bank or whatever is just too clean and tidy.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Magic Mango posted:

That was because RTD was under a lot of pressure with Children of Earth, as the BBC really didn't want to make a third series. Rather than sitting back and basking in the adulation, he actually had to put his nose to the grindstone. Looks like the US network has given him free-rein and he's gone back to making poo poo.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

The cannibalism one was really good, but the others were pretty mediocre.

It's called Countrycide, and it's the only episode of that season that wasn't crap.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Cerv posted:

Thought they might be going for a deliberate contrast there. Luther & co work out of an exaggeratedly skanky cramped warehouse full of poo poo; the nice investment bank or whatever is just too clean and tidy.

Oh yes. This is obviously not a series to be taken literally and visual metaphors abound.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Brown Moses posted:

It sounds like they had a bit of a falling out when Andrew Collins decided to do some shows without Richard Herring, they both just sounded a bit disapointed in each other, it wasn't nasty.
It's Alan Partridge and Sidekick Simon all over again :smith:

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Did anyone watch Kids Behind Bars?

Juvenile rehabilitation/detention centres are a lot less funny when they're not on Angry Boys.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

ChuckDHead posted:

As reality shows about business go, it's also a drat sight better than The Apprentice, which has become the new Big Brother in terms providing a show devoid of real content and consisting mainly of stupid challenges performed by a range of frequently cartoonish stereotypes that wrestling fans would call obvious "faces and heels".

Yeah, last night it seemed to be setting up Natasha for a heel turn to get back at those cookie-cutting cookie-cutter babyfaces for excluding her slightly.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Great the other day I found out Case Histories only has 6 episodes a season and is thus over, now I see we only get one more Luther this season. So frustrating.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
This Planet of the Apeman: Battle for Earth documentary thing on BBC One is hilarious.

It's like an old GCSE Geography program you'd watch whenever the teacher was hungover and could just about bring herself to roll in the telly and video player. I keep expecting to them to pop up with "write this down in your copy books" in a Look Around You pisstake sort of way whenever they flash up with the experts doing facts.

The recreation bits are well done enough, but they look more like they've just got carried away at the greenfields at Glastonbury than actual ancient people. The whole thing is just a hilarious mess. It's a shame it's only two parts because I've thoroughly enjoyed both - even if it's for the wrong reasons.

The BBC often does a great job at documentaries, but they've got this one just wrong enough that it's almost like piss take of the genre. The Neanderthals are basically terminators.

It's interesting that either they had advanced bra technology in 20,000BC or the it's less acceptable to show breasts at 8.30pm than it is people bludgeoning and stabbing each other to death.

Still, it's great fun.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Made in Britain is really good.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Metrication posted:

Made in Britain is really good.

That "Thamestown" in Shanghai was crazy. I thought it was Kingston!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Kerbtree posted:

You know for something affiliated with Doctor Who, You wouldn't imagine it to be something like this.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Listening to Collins and Josie Long doing features from the Collins and Herring show right now, makes me think Herring had a point.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

HoldYourFire posted:

That "Thamestown" in Shanghai was crazy. I thought it was Kingston!

Yeah it did look a bit like Kingston. I read up on wikipedia about it and it's supposed to be a development with other European themed towns like Italy and Spain and that kind of thing.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Cerv posted:

Listening to Collins and Josie Long doing features from the Collins and Herring show right now, makes me think Herring had a point.

What was his point?

It's not great to be honest, although it's quite hard to live up to Adam and Joe.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That Collins piggiebacks on the fame of other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Flatscan posted:

That was because RTD was under a lot of pressure with Children of Earth, as the BBC really didn't want to make a third series. Rather than sitting back and basking in the adulation, he actually had to put his nose to the grindstone. Looks like the US network has given him free-rein and he's gone back to making poo poo.

This isn't quite right.

RTD had very little to do with the early years of Torchwood, and his scripts for CoE were last minute rush jobs.