Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ElwoodCuse posted:

There's no law against any of that but some companies forbid retailers from advertising prices below a certain level, under penalty of getting their sales agreement yanked. So if Mattress Riot wants to keep selling Serta or whatever, they'll play along.

This is also why on some sites, like Amazon or B&H Photo Video, you won't see the price of the item until it's actually added to your shopping cart, because they can't put it on the public listing page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

God drat, do I hate the Geico "That's Amazing!" commercials. They wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have the person actually say the line.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Apparently Domino's has never heard of the Arch Deluxe fiasco, because they have a commercial about how kids will hate their new line of "gourmet" pizzas, but adults will love them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Apparently Domino's has never heard of the Arch Deluxe fiasco, because they have a commercial about how kids will hate their new line of "gourmet" pizzas, but adults will love them.

Right before the end, when they show that kids chalkboard/easel thing, look closely. There's a Noid doll sitting on it. Fantastic touch.

MillionsV
Jun 11, 2010
Speaking of Domino's, I can't stand that "OMG WE'RE GIVING AWAY THREE-TOPPING PIZZAS FOR $7.99!!!!" commercial.

I flinch every time the cook says "This pizza is worth at least TWICE that!"

Seriously? gently caress you, cook! There's not a person alive who would pay $16 for a loving Domino's pizza! :argh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MillionsV posted:

Speaking of Domino's, I can't stand that "OMG WE'RE GIVING AWAY THREE-TOPPING PIZZAS FOR $7.99!!!!" commercial.

I flinch every time the cook says "This pizza is worth at least TWICE that!"

Seriously? gently caress you, cook! There's not a person alive who would pay $16 for a loving Domino's pizza! :argh:

KFC is back to talking about their "certified cooks" as well. I'd love to know what that certification entails.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

DJExile posted:

KFC is back to talking about their "certified cooks" as well. I'd love to know what that certification entails.

Filled out the job application with under the minimum amount of spelling errors committed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They're shown a picture of a chicken and a picture of a dog turd, and they have to identify the chicken.

They get two guesses.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

DJExile posted:

They each wear a big button that says COOK on it and passed their food handler permit classes.

edit: or they're all on the sex offender registry

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

God drat, do I hate the Geico "That's Amazing!" commercials. They wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have the person actually say the line.

Geico gets a pass for a while solely based on the Foghorn Leghorn commercial.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJExile posted:

Right before the end, when they show that kids chalkboard/easel thing, look closely. There's a Noid doll sitting on it. Fantastic touch.

That right there is amazing.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Quandary posted:

Geico gets a pass for a while solely based on the Foghorn Leghorn commercial.

Also, dogs chasing cats. Seriously one of my favorite ads currently on TV.

unhwillneverwin
Oct 16, 2010

Smashing through the boundaries
Lunacy has found me
Cannot stop the battery!
I am sad to see the sexist, stupid directions of the Bud Light commercials, because even though I don't drink their swill they did have some amazing commercials. The speaking to animals one has always been my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UHKB6nQrzM

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's really sad to me that Joe Pesci is doing Snickers commercials now, rather than doing some real acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys0cmMiW6bI

Eh, the guy retired from acting to coach kids' softball in New Jersey. I can't hate on him for that. And that commercial is a lot funnier than the Richard Lewis/Rosanne one...

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

CobiWann posted:

Eh, the guy retired from acting to coach kids' softball in New Jersey. I can't hate on him for that. And that commercial is a lot funnier than the Richard Lewis/Rosanne one...

I think the best one wasdefinitely the Aretha Franklin/Liza Minnelli one, but only because I love Lucielle 2Liza Minnelli.

And I may be remembering the commercial wrong, but I don't know if Dominos is saying "Kids hate this pizza, but cool adults will" so much as they're saying "Get this pizza, and get a second one discounted in case you or someone you're eating with doesn't like it. Probably kids."

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

DrBouvenstein posted:

At the very end of this commercial (theres a shorter cut that doesn't have it) one of the kids chucks a soccer ball at his teachers face or something. That really bothers me for some reason.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"

unhwillneverwin posted:

I am sad to see the sexist, stupid directions of the Bud Light commercials, because even though I don't drink their swill they did have some amazing commercials. The speaking to animals one has always been my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UHKB6nQrzM
I feel like at some point, Budweiser must have realized that no one cared about their lovely beer and said, "Let's just make commercials that are funny and/or sexy (but in a totally G-rated, network-friendly way) and then finish them off with, 'Bud Light!'"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

stray posted:

I feel like at some point, Budweiser must have realized that no one cared about their lovely beer and said, "Let's just make commercials that are funny and/or sexy (but in a totally G-rated, network-friendly way) and then finish them off with, 'Bud Light!'"

51% of all beer consumed in the USA is a product of the Budweiser corporation. :smith:

What I find interesting is, I was watching season 1 of Cheers, and there was an episode where Norm and Cliff were worried about Cheers becoming a gay bar, and they made a joke about how everyone would start drinking light beer. It's amazing how in 29 years, (utterly tasteless, and generally terrible) light beer has become the preferred drink of the masses.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

dominator posted:

At the very end of this commercial (theres a shorter cut that doesn't have it) one of the kids chucks a soccer ball at his teachers face or something. That really bothers me for some reason.

I love it because it looks like that kid puts some serious loving velocity on that ball. Like he's some freak mutant baseball prodigy we'll see playing in the majors at age 12.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

I love it because it looks like that kid puts some serious loving velocity on that ball. Like he's some freak mutant baseball prodigy we'll see playing in the majors at age 12.

Somewhere Dr. James Andrew just yelled out 'FUNKY BUTTLOVIN!'

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I don't know if these even air outside Alberta, but I've only heard them here in Edmonton. Which worries me, because it means the Syph is an epidemic here or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HTWcwShmEw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqlb1pBpnPE

OH GOD it's actually a thing
http://plentyofsyph.com/

Here's the other ones I was looking for. These annoy me so much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBR6ikoCIr4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4rC0nB4HFs

Antioch fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 30, 2011

aquatic sideshow
Nov 21, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
These FALLING OFF THE BONE ribs at Golden Corral are FALLING OFF THE BONE. *stares at small child across the table while aggressively tearing off a hunk of meat with teeth* I CAN'T BELIEVE THESE ARE JUST 10 DOLLARS.

FALLING OFF THE BONE.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

aquatic sideshow posted:

These FALLING OFF THE BONE ribs at Golden Corral are FALLING OFF THE BONE. *stares at small child across the table while aggressively tearing off a hunk of meat with teeth* I CAN'T BELIEVE THESE ARE JUST 10 DOLLARS.

FALLING OFF THE BONE.

The way you describe it, it sounds like the guy is eating that kid's infant sibling and will go to work on them next.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

dominator posted:

It's not the teacher, it's one of the Dominos people. And it makes that commercial totally worth it.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
There's a commercial involving a kid getting SUPER STOKED for "Social Media" and "The Almighty Cloud" on his phone. What loving kid says things like that?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Steak Justice posted:

There's a commercial involving a kid getting SUPER STOKED for "Social Media" and "The Almighty Cloud" on his phone. What loving kid says things like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgXObaM9i2Q

aquatic sideshow
Nov 21, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is that what it's about? I could never watch the entire commercial, for some reason I have this compulsion to change the channel as soon as screeching obnoxious children are shoved in my face!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!
Is it just me (or my cable provider), or do there seem to be a fuckton of ads for insurance companies on lately? Allstate, Farmer's, State Farm, 21st Century, Geico, Progressive, The General, and that's just the ones I recall off the top of my head.

Speaking of the General, why does he roll with a penguin? Is he a big fan of Linux as well?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grandpa Pap posted:

Is it just me (or my cable provider), or do there seem to be a fuckton of ads for insurance companies on lately? Allstate, Farmer's, State Farm, 21st Century, Geico, Progressive, The General, and that's just the ones I recall off the top of my head.

Speaking of the General, why does he roll with a penguin? Is he a big fan of Linux as well?

I'm speaking strictly to life insurance here, but it's one of the very few commodities that's actually gone down in price over the years because people are living longer. Seems to be the same in auto because by and wide, people are driving safer and safety technology in cars is improving. Likewise for homes made of better building materials, less fire hazards, etc.

I believe one of the first General commercials had him in Antartica for... some reason, and a bunch of those penguins were around. Guess he just stuck.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

DJExile posted:

I believe one of the first General commercials had him in Antartica for... some reason, and a bunch of those penguins were around. Guess he just stuck.
iirc, that.

Admittedly, I kind of like the General commercials.

aquatic sideshow
Nov 21, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Dear ad wizards, if you need to LITERALLY spell out the joke (Geico), it's not only not funny, it's offensive.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

aquatic sideshow posted:

Dear ad wizards, if you need to LITERALLY spell out the joke (Geico), it's not only not funny, it's offensive.

The radio ads are so much worse than the tv ones.

"Does a rolling stone gather no moss?"
*20 seconds of soft banging*
"No moss, you're gonna have to trust me on this."

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
This is a pretty stupid reason to hate a commercial, but the same drat commercial has been playing in front of every single blip video I've watched in the past week (and I watch a fair amount of blip videos). I forgot what it was even for, I think an HTC phone. But it begins with some piano notes and a guy saying "YOU are the next trending topic..." and ends with a little girl singing a song, of which only four words are audible until it's cut off for more narration.

I'm sure that girl is talented and that song is probably not terrible for how old she is. But goddamn, I wouldn't know, because I only know four words of it that run on a loop in my head throughout the day. I shouldn't be this annoyed about it, but it plays so often before blip videos and on TV that I have to dive for the mute button every time, and even then just knowing it's on puts that four-word song in my head over and over and over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

This is a pretty stupid reason to hate a commercial, but the same drat commercial has been playing in front of every single blip video I've watched in the past week (and I watch a fair amount of blip videos). I forgot what it was even for, I think an HTC phone. But it begins with some piano notes and a guy saying "YOU are the next trending topic..." and ends with a little girl singing a song, of which only four words are audible until it's cut off for more narration.

I'm sure that girl is talented and that song is probably not terrible for how old she is. But goddamn, I wouldn't know, because I only know four words of it that run on a loop in my head throughout the day. I shouldn't be this annoyed about it, but it plays so often before blip videos and on TV that I have to dive for the mute button every time, and even then just knowing it's on puts that four-word song in my head over and over and over.

We are the same person.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

"When I grow older, I will be stronger..."

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

Jubs posted:

"When I grow older, I will be stronger..."

Is that what it is? I couldn't even hear the second line, I thought she said she was going to be taller, which made it even stupider.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Have you guys seen the one for furniture face? It is supposed to make your couch cushions not sag. We tested it with SUMO WRESTLERS and it still works!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Who doesn't love adorable kittens? :shepface:

John Stamos
May 17, 2009

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpX1rPCCUig

K'naan - Wavin' Flag

It was pretty much the theme song of last year's World Cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

John Stamos posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpX1rPCCUig

K'naan - Wavin' Flag

It was pretty much the theme song of last year's World Cup.

Oh, well color me informed. In spite of the fact I was in Paris for a full week of the World Cup I learned exactly nothing about it except how popular it is everywhere except here.