Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Boat posted:

Every now and then the internet just smacks you upside the face with how small it's made the world.

So that was your car, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

RoboCriminal posted:

giant sailboats

No.

That is not a "Giant Sailboat"

Neither is this, but it is a "Horrible Mechanical Failure"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leq_nxsqWvE
America's cup catamaran capsizing... note the man going THROUGH the wing sail, he's exceeding lucky that he didn't hit a spar or get tangled up in it and drown.

Better, although more talky, less destructy video from Oracle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOURLUtXdkw

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 24, 2011

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

jamal posted:

ha, just saw this on a friend of a friend's facebook:

Lucky friend of a friend. I actually got there just as the firemen were pulling up to it but I wasn't able to get into my apartment and retrieve my camera until after they had put out the fire.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

sharkytm posted:

No.

That is not a "Giant Sailboat"

Neither is this, but it is a "Horrible Mechanical Failure"

If we're posting America's Cup mechanical failures you really can't go past this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA-REPv-ReY
Takes less than a minute.

Sorry for the crappy video but its the only one I could find

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
your car has a flat tire? sure, i'll look at it.

sorry, can't fix it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Breast Pussy posted:

your car has a flat tire? sure, i'll look at it.

sorry, can't fix it.

It's not in the sidewall, just patch it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That is far too long to patch.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

EightBit posted:

Pffft. Use mushroom plug-patches. :hurr:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

EightBit posted:

Oh come on, the little black worm things in my patch kit are at least a good 4 inches long and there's like 4 of them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EightBit posted:

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

iastudent posted:

Lucky friend of a friend. I actually got there just as the firemen were pulling up to it but I wasn't able to get into my apartment and retrieve my camera until after they had put out the fire.

A couple years ago my dad was at his Rotary meeting (civic organization in US) and they announced a car-fire in the parking lot. Word got around that it was a mini-van, so my dad relaxed and finished the meeting. Then he came outside to discover the mini-van was parked next to his car.

Complete loss.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh dear...

Backstory?

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I don't understand how something that hosed up can be so clean. Why isn't it coated in oil / coolant / gas / etc?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
It's completely coated in oil, just really clean oil. Maybe someone didn't read how much oil was supposed to go in?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

JD Brickmeister posted:

Why isn't it coated in oil

That could be the backstory.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Looks like the endcap let go. You can see what looks like the remains of it sitting on the counterweight.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

JD Brickmeister posted:

I don't understand how something that hosed up can be so clean. Why isn't it coated in oil / coolant / gas / etc?

The oil is what is causing the shavings to clump like that. That is indeed some serious failure, there. 2nding the back story request.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

A car forum posted:

I was driving and minding my business when I hit a small pot hole, and it turned out to be a bigger pot hole after my car drove over it. It went from a 4 inch wide pothole to a 2 foot wide one.. The ground underneath the pothole gave away and f*ck me over.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

peepsalot posted:

For some reason this made me think of those cookies you can pull apart and just eat the filling.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh dear...

Backstory?

i don't know exactly how this happened. a friend sent it to me.

I do have the backstory on this though:

my friend with the mustang posted:

I should have bought bigger injectors a while ago.

Little bit to lean, all 8 look the same. Except for the #8 intake valve. The seat was cracked and why I was loosing compression. All of them white as snow except that one that is blacked out.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 28, 2011

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
nevermind.

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 28, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

peepsalot posted:

now THAT'S a 2 piece wheel :haw:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm sure BBS loves it when people put real center caps on replica wheels, then the crap wheels fail and BBS' reputation takes the collective hit.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I don't want to be all "let me see here". But there is very clean oil. I doubt this engine was run long. It appears to be the drivers side of a pre-1980 (or aftermarket) chevy small block. The rear of the block is to the left in this photo.

The blackening of the bearing journal and the presence of may pulverized bearing shells makes me wonder if there was an oil pump drive failure of some sort. Maybe the distributor never engaged the oil pump. Maybe the pump drive shaft failed somehow.

edit: I almost forgot, hopefully he didn't forget to put the "rear crossover gallery plug" here:

Yep that could do it

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 28, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
^^^ Lack of oil pressure = that?!?! vvv

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
"If this plug is missing, the engine will chew off its own elbow and poo poo money all over the place.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
You would think that a warning like "the engine will not have oil pressure" should be at least bolded or in a giant font or something

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yet another reason to run the oil pump with a drill with a pressure gauge attached.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I still want to see pictures of what happened when DJCommie converted the X1/9 to Megasquirt and EDIS and left out the distributor that he didn't need for ignition anymore. It was also supposed to drive the oil pump.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
In high school, I took an engine rebuilding class. It was mostly to cheese a credit since I had already rebuilt engines and all that good stuff long before then so I was more or less a teacher's aide. Anyway, this kid was working on a 350 and it was almost ready to run. All we had to to was fill the oilpan, prime the system and stab the distributor. 5 quarts of oil goes in, I show him how to line up and get into the oil pump. He gets on the drill and starts priming. About that time, a Loony Toons-esque oil gusher erupts from the end of the block, near the distributor if I remember correctly. Turns out he forgot one of the galley plugs and it turned into a high pressure stream of oil that doused a nice area of the shop.

I can only imagine how fun that would have been if we hadn't primed it first.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Lowclock posted:

I still want to see pictures of what happened when DJCommie converted the X1/9 to Megasquirt and EDIS and left out the distributor that he didn't need for ignition anymore. It was also supposed to drive the oil pump.

:(

Its too much of a pain to take the pan off, otherwise I would. It probably just needs rod bearings.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

:(

Its too much of a pain to take the pan off, otherwise I would. It probably just needs rod bearings.

Yeah, no kidding. They would probably be so much nicer to work on without the second little trunk back there.

Sorry for it being off topic, but you would probably know. Do all these cars have a condenser in them even if they didn't have air conditioning? Mine sure as heck doesn't have a compressor and I don't know if it has an evaporator, but I wonder if maybe the PO removed it or something.

truckramrod
Dec 11, 2004
Black Culture Thief!?!

FuzzKill posted:

Another L67 bites the dust. SUPERCHARGED!

Not sure if that vehicle was included on the recalls, not that the recall fixed the fire issues anyhow.

I'm a tech at a dealer and I don't believe that the park avenues or lesabre's were included in either the V/C gasket or plug wire retainer recall's.

That pic is exactly why I changed both of my VC gaskets and threw away the factory plug wire retainer on my 3800.

I've seen some cars that would puff a cloud of smoke on every startup from the oil leaking on the exhaust manifolds.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Splizwarf posted:

"If this plug is missing, the engine will chew off its own elbow and poo poo money all over the place.

haha pretty much.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Raluek posted:

Yet another reason to run the oil pump with a drill with a pressure gauge attached.

Where would one want to put the oil pressure gauge?

DELETED posted:

I can only imagine how fun that would have been if we hadn't primed it first.

Would using assembly lube eliminate the need to prime the pump, or do you do that for other reasons?

....learning....

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Scientist posted:

Would using assembly lube eliminate the need to prime the pump, or do you do that for other reasons?

....learning....

On most motors there will be a port in the front cover/oil pump area where you can thread a gauge in. It might be the factory sender location, so you pull that and put your shop gauge on for the test.

Assembly lube + getting oil circulating is the best plan. In combination, not one or the other. The assembly lube is there to keep things from getting scratched up for the short period of time before you get oil everywhere its supposed to be, as well as to get the sacrificial coating of zinc (ZDDP) you need on high pressure parts like cam lobes and flat tappets.

Some oil pumps are a bitch to get primed after a tear down. The one I'm working on now is notorious (Buick 215-derived Rover V8), and most people actually fill it full of vaseline while assembling to help get the prime started.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

3 months old. I have no clue.

[...backstory...]
At work we have a 1990 C2500 diesel that used to get used in the 90's but has mostly sat since. We recently decided to give it a second life by getting rid of the useless winch assembly on the back and put on a flatbed. When I went to start taking it apart I noticed the electric lift pump wasn't doing so hot so I replaced it. The whole fuel system was coated with a thick, sticky varnish substance (probably due to previous biodiesel use) along with what appeared to be pulverized rust or something. So I systematically clean everything in the fuel system. The tank had to be emptied, steam cleaned, dried, repeat. After that, this new sending unit/dip tube went in. 3 months later, the truck is running like crap again. After checking everything else possible I finally decide to check the tank. That above is what I find, covered in rust/varnish/vaseline/?, plus a tank interior that looks just like someone had coated it vaseline and threw black sand at it. 3 MONTHS. How in the hell did this happen? Help me.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Scientist posted:

I've just used the sender location. On a SBC that's on the rear part of the block right behind the intake manifold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Joe Mama posted:

3 months old. I have no clue.

[...backstory...]
At work we have a 1990 C2500 diesel that used to get used in the 90's but has mostly sat since. We recently decided to give it a second life by getting rid of the useless winch assembly on the back and put on a flatbed. When I went to start taking it apart I noticed the electric lift pump wasn't doing so hot so I replaced it. The whole fuel system was coated with a thick, sticky varnish substance (probably due to previous biodiesel use) along with what appeared to be pulverized rust or something. So I systematically clean everything in the fuel system. The tank had to be emptied, steam cleaned, dried, repeat. After that, this new sending unit/dip tube went in. 3 months later, the truck is running like crap again. After checking everything else possible I finally decide to check the tank. That above is what I find, covered in rust/varnish/vaseline/?, plus a tank interior that looks just like someone had coated it vaseline and threw black sand at it. 3 MONTHS. How in the hell did this happen? Help me.

how did you clean the tank and did you coat it afterwards? red kote, por15, fuel, etc...