Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

brc64 posted:

I now have a nice happy Ubuntu server in place on my network for media management, and it occurs to me that putting SABnzb+ on there makes more sense than having it on my Windows PC. The install was all of two commands, so that was pretty simple, but I was wondering if there was any way I could migrate my configuration from my Windows install to the new Linux install.

SABnzbd+ stores its configuration in sabnzbd.ini. Go to the "config" page of SABnzbd+ and look for where it says the config file is located.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Grayham posted:

SABnzbd+ stores its configuration in sabnzbd.ini. Go to the "config" page of SABnzbd+ and look for where it says the config file is located.

I just ended up going through the wizard, which wasn't as bad as I was expecting. But now I have a new issue. I'm trying to follow the instructions to set this up as a daemon, but I seem to have hit a wall. I've edited /etc/default/sabnzbdplus as described, but when I try to do /etc/init.d/sabnzbdplus start, I get:

code:
 * Starting SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber                                                                                    
/etc/init.d/sabnzbdplus: 25: start-stop-daemon: not found

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

brc64 posted:

I just ended up going through the wizard, which wasn't as bad as I was expecting. But now I have a new issue. I'm trying to follow the instructions to set this up as a daemon, but I seem to have hit a wall. I've edited /etc/default/sabnzbdplus as described, but when I try to do /etc/init.d/sabnzbdplus start, I get:

code:
 * Starting SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber                                                                                    
/etc/init.d/sabnzbdplus: 25: start-stop-daemon: not found

http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/install-as-a-unix-daemon isn't needed on ubuntu as the repo contains the init.d already. If you overwrote it, fix it up before trying to use it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

duz posted:

http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/install-as-a-unix-daemon isn't needed on ubuntu as the repo contains the init.d already. If you overwrote it, fix it up before trying to use it.
I did the apt-gets, ran sabnzbdplus, followed the wizard (interestingly enough, running it manually listened on 8085 instead of the default 8080.) I shut it down, added host, port and user to /etc/default/sabnzbdplus and tried to run the command from above. I didn't do anything with the shell script, since the note at the bottom of the page said Ubuntu had its own init script.

Did I mess up somewhere?

Edit: Nevermind, I guess, it's working now. Sickbeard, too!

brc64 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 27, 2011

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anybody using SABnzbd (and/or SickBeard) storing files over NFS (on ZFS system)?

I'm having a bit of trouble with ACLs/permissions...

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I am using NFS on top of BTRFS sharing across a few Linux VMs, no additional ACL configuration being done from SABnzbd, too.
Running Ubuntu 11.04 across the two.

Only gotcha for me was the underlying permissions on BTFS. In your case, ZFS. Are you using Solaris, OpenFiler, FreeNAS, or what?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I had a weird issue the other day downloading something. The download failed, saying there weren't enough blocks to repair. I don't really know why, but I decided to try re-downloading it (same exact NZB), and on the second attempt it downloaded fine. The only difference was that I didn't apply a custom category to it this time.

The category thing wouldn't have made a difference, would it? I can't see that it would... would this just be a case of Astraweb being lovely again? And along those lines, is there any way to make SABnzbd re-download just the PARs or something?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

When the download fails, hit the Retry button next to all the little icons for that file in your finished queue. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

JerkyBunion posted:

When the download fails, hit the Retry button next to all the little icons for that file in your finished queue. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Where is the Retry button? I just had the little down arrow, clock, whatever the gently caress the quick check icon is and the wrench.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

brc64 posted:

Where is the Retry button? I just had the little down arrow, clock, whatever the gently caress the quick check icon is and the wrench.

It will generally show up next to the Wrench. Sometimes it doesn't show up for whatever reason, even if the thing failed.

I'm downloading something now that failed the first time (Missing 1 block in a 10gb file) and now on the retry it seems to be going through. If it fails again, I'll screencap it for you.

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010

brc64 posted:

I had a weird issue the other day downloading something. The download failed, saying there weren't enough blocks to repair. I don't really know why, but I decided to try re-downloading it (same exact NZB), and on the second attempt it downloaded fine. The only difference was that I didn't apply a custom category to it this time.

The category thing wouldn't have made a difference, would it? I can't see that it would... would this just be a case of Astraweb being lovely again? And along those lines, is there any way to make SABnzbd re-download just the PARs or something?

I've had that same issue with Astraweb this week with some stuff downloading and missing so many blocks that even with PAR's I couldn't repair. I just finished my download block last night so I grabbed a 200GB block from blocknews to try out for now.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

I don't think anyone uses Newzbin anymore but this might be of interest to UK users:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13927335

They're trying to get one of the largest ISPs in the UK to block access to Newzbin.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I guess I don't fully understand all the politics behind Newzbin, but why is it that they're getting cracked down on so hard while all the other usenet indexing sites just keep on truckin'? What vital mistake did they make to make them legally vulnerable that the other sites (apparently) didn't do? Now that there are basically better indexes out there, it doesn't make much sense why legal types continue to focus on Newzbin.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

io_burn posted:

I guess I don't fully understand all the politics behind Newzbin, but why is it that they're getting cracked down on so hard while all the other usenet indexing sites just keep on truckin'? What vital mistake did they make to make them legally vulnerable that the other sites (apparently) didn't do? Now that there are basically better indexes out there, it doesn't make much sense why legal types continue to focus on Newzbin.

I could be wrong but I think it's just a case of the tallest nail gets the hammer.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

io_burn posted:

They're based in the UK.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Isn't Newzbin the NZP that basically advertised, "WE HAVE ILLEGAL CONTENT FOR FREE, COME DOWNLOAD IT!" and got their rear end handed to them because everyone in the court knew they were actively facilitating copyright infringement?

Posts Only Secrets
Jan 22, 2005
Breaking the NDA...

Odette posted:

Isn't Newzbin the NZP that basically advertised, "WE HAVE ILLEGAL CONTENT FOR FREE, COME DOWNLOAD IT!" and got their rear end handed to them because everyone in the court knew they were actively facilitating copyright infringement?

No. And that was covered in the OP:

quote:

Q: But wait, isn't Usenet like . . getting sued or something?
A: That was Usenet.com, not actually "Usenet" as a whole. Usenet.com hosed up, hardcore. They were a lovely third-rate host, they specifically advertised "LOL DUDEZ C'MON DOWN FOR DA FILEZZZ! USENET IS TOTALLY THE BESTEST PLACE FOR DA FILEZ NOW THAT P2P IS GETTING SHUT DOWN LOLLLL!!!!!", they ATTEMPTED TO COVER THIS UP when they got sued, and as such they were violently raped by the RIAA. Sucks to be them. Luckily, none of the hosts anyone should care about have websites like that.

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums

Kachunkachunk posted:

I use Newshosting, personally. You could look at a premium provider that your programs promote as well, but I haven't really tried.

I just don't know if the 900+ days of retention is realistic. I usually don't have success for stuff that's 700 days or so old; it just will not repair successfully and I'd be missing one to five chunks. Screw that.

Thing is, if one day they had 300 day retention and the next day they had 900 day retention, wouldn't it take 600 days for the 900 day retention to actually fully be in effect, seeing as they wouldn't have any files older than 300 days?

The fact that they retain stuff is surely not binding in that they have to have had it in the first place.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Running my own indexer and boy howdy does it take a long time to index everything :geno:

tofufish
Jan 3, 2007
:D

Murodese posted:

Running my own indexer and boy howdy does it take a long time to index everything :geno:

Assuming you're using nn+, you can import a large zip of nzbs to save scraping it all yourself. Just jump on their IRC and ask around.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

haywire posted:

Thing is, if one day they had 300 day retention and the next day they had 900 day retention, wouldn't it take 600 days for the 900 day retention to actually fully be in effect, seeing as they wouldn't have any files older than 300 days?

The fact that they retain stuff is surely not binding in that they have to have had it in the first place.
Yeah that logic makes sense. I've been with Newshosting for a very long time and their site over the last couple of years regularly updated with longer and longer retention. It did gradually reach 900 days 600 days after 300 was promised. :)

I just have been observing some misses and problems despite that and I'm honestly unsure if it's my provider or maybe momentary issues with my network/connection, or something.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Posts Only Secrets posted:

No. And that was covered in the OP:

Incorrect. A large part of the reason they lost their case in the UK was because their admins actively encourage infringement.

RealisticFiction
Jun 30, 2011
Hi, I am just getting into usenet, but find it a pretty neat hobby so far. I got my SABnzbd, Sick Beard, Giganews, and NZBmatrix setup and linked properly.

Today I cant access NZBmatrix.com. I checked out NZBmatrix.info, and it says the site up, and I can access it from my iphone (with wifi off only), so I think Comcast is up to no good.

I tried using googleDNS, and openDNS to no avail, but I could access nzbMatrix using a proxy called hidemyass.

I am pretty tech savvy, but don't know much about DNS or proxies... cause this America, not some Arab Spring country! Do I now need to go full VPN or something?

Any suggestions?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

RealisticFiction posted:

words

Thanks for registering to tell us what :filez: you are downloading. You are going to get this thread shut down. Knock it off. Your problem is probably temporary and will fix itself tomorrow.

RealisticFiction
Jun 30, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Thanks for registering to tell us what :filez: you are downloading. You are going to get this thread shut down. Knock it off. Your problem is probably temporary and will fix itself tomorrow.

I'm sorry. Good point. Have you seen problems like this before?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

RealisticFiction posted:

I'm sorry. Good point. Have you seen problems like this before?

I seem to recall having the same issue a few weeks ago (or it might have been nzbs.org) and it fixed itself. I'm not on Comcast though. I kind of doubt they let you access the site one day and denied you the next.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

NZBMatrix were undergoing some updates the other day, but that wouldn't be the cause of being unable to access the site.

The internet likes to do that sometimes, just visit the site later and it should be up.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Kachunkachunk posted:

I am using NFS on top of BTRFS sharing across a few Linux VMs, no additional ACL configuration being done from SABnzbd, too.
Running Ubuntu 11.04 across the two.

Only gotcha for me was the underlying permissions on BTFS. In your case, ZFS. Are you using Solaris, OpenFiler, FreeNAS, or what?
I'm using Solaris Express 11 with ZFS shared over NFS and CIFS/SMB.

The problem is that SABnzbd seems to perform a chmod (even if you leave the settings blank in the config) on the downloaded files. After the chmod the ZFS ACLs are removed and then I have problems accessing the files from Windows.

I'm thinking about just using the CIFS/SMB shares instead of NFS to avoid the problem but I'd like to stick with NFS since it's more native to Unix/Linux and seems "better" for this situation.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Okay, cool. So from what I understand, SABnzbd is placing files on an NFS share (that is, Solaris runs your storage and SABnzbd is run from another box, correct?).

Before you check your mountpoints and stuff, look at ~/.sabnzbd/sabnzbd.ini and see if there's a permissions option/directive set. Then check /etc/default/sabnzbdplus and see if there's something in there. It should pretty much just have a port number and address... but it overrides what's in the configuration file in my experience.

Anyway here's what I have, maybe it'll help. Changed usernames, folder names, etc.

SABnzbd box:
code:
# mount -t nfs -o rw,soft 192.168.0.200:/storage/btrfs /storage/StorageBox
$ mount
192.168.0.200:/storage/btrfs on /storage/StorageBox type nfs (rw,soft,vers=4,addr=192.168.0.200,clientaddr=192.168.0.220)

$ less /etc/default/sabnzbdplus
(nothing really that points to ACL/permissions).

$ less ~/.sabnzbd/sabnzbd.ini
(nothing really stands out... but: 'permissions = ""')

$ ls -la /storage
drwxr-xr-x  4 kachunkachunk kachunkachunk 4096 2011-06-21 12:06 Downloads
drwxrwxrwx  1 4294967294 4294967294  140 2011-06-24 18:07 StorageBox
Downloads = Where files are temporarily stored (some symlinks in here to the actual storage box... just some magic while using SABnzbd categories)
StorageBox = Where files are moved from categorization, but it's also the actual mountpoint.

So nothing special on the SABnzbd box. Looking at my storage box (192.168.0.200 in this example):
code:
$ less /etc/exports
/storage/btrfs          192.168.0.0/24(rw,async)

$ ls -la /storage
drwxrwxrwx  1 root root  140 2011-06-24 18:07 btrfs

$ cd /storage/btrfs; ls -la
drwxrwxrwx 1 root       root         140 2011-06-24 18:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root       root        4096 2011-06-09 16:01 ..
drwxr-xr-x 1 kachunkachunk kachunkachunk   150 2011-06-25 21:56 Teh Pronz
drwx------ 1 kachunkachunk kachunkachunk   452 2011-06-11 02:50 Weird Personal Pronz - no touchie
drwxrwxrwx 1 kachunkachunk kachunkachunk   232 2011-06-28 23:53 Place for you to put moar Pronz kthxbye
So from here I just control who can do what via file system permissions. No additional work is done to ensure SABnzbd can read/write files here and I've kept it as simple as possible so it's easy enough to troubleshoot. I also didn't have to play around with sticky bits or anything.

There's also some Samba crap going on in StorageBox, but that isn't being used between the Linux boxes.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 30, 2011

nValid
Jun 30, 2011
I used Giganews and Newsbin in the past and just 2 weeks ago signed up for a new Giganews account. I was sold on the VyprVPN and not having my ISP see what I'm downloading. Worth the $35 a month to me...

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

nValid posted:

I used Giganews and Newsbin in the past and just 2 weeks ago signed up for a new Giganews account. I was sold on the VyprVPN and not having my ISP see what I'm downloading. Worth the $35 a month to me...

I'm a dual US/UK citizen and got annoyed some country restrictions when each respective country, and still go back and forth a lot so to me its worth it for the choice of US/UK VPN.

If I didn't use it I probably would just go with the supernews account but if you think you'll use the VPN at all, its a really great service they offer.

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005

nValid posted:

I may be wrong about this, but doesn't an SSL connection to the server already provide this service? Your ISP can see you are connected to a news server but if they can also see what you're downloading then I'm not sure what the point of SSL is. Or are you using the VPN just for general internet use?

CheeseDog
Apr 22, 2005

Hagrid: "An' they haven't invented a spell our Hermione can' do."
It appears that a few of the summer specials are appearing.

Astraweb has its $96/yr plan plan out at the moment.

Easynews also has a 100GB/14Day trial for all new accounts

Red Marx
Dec 21, 2005

Lord Dekks posted:

I'm a dual US/UK citizen and got annoyed some country restrictions when each respective country, and still go back and forth a lot so to me its worth it for the choice of US/UK VPN.

If I didn't use it I probably would just go with the supernews account but if you think you'll use the VPN at all, its a really great service they offer.

A few months ago I had considered upgrading my giganews account to get the vpn, but this was before they introduced the uk exit and all I had really wanted it for was a reliable way to watch iplayer.

Now they do have a UK exit, but I've since switched to supernews, and I can't really justify paying three times as much for the same service.

This really isn't the place, but does anyone have a quick suggestion for a uk vpn for around $10/month? A PM would be fine if you don't want to clutter up the thread.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

CheeseDog posted:

It appears that a few of the summer specials are appearing.

Astraweb has its $96/yr plan plan out at the moment.

Easynews also has a 100GB/14Day trial for all new accounts

For what it's worth, even though Astraweb seems like a great deal, I had a bunch of random issues with articles missing. It wasn't a constant thing, but just enough to be annoying. YMMV.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I've noted my own issues on Newshosting, but I still haven't done the research into whether it was my problem or not.
I think it's probably a good idea to start watching what groups you you specifically have had problems with and see if it's some underdog group that's not uh... synched properly or something.

Disclaimer:
<---- knows poo poo about how a newsgroup hosting provider works.

Either way, look for patterns!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

io_burn posted:

For what it's worth, even though Astraweb seems like a great deal, I had a bunch of random issues with articles missing. It wasn't a constant thing, but just enough to be annoying. YMMV.
Setting the US Astra server as a primary and EU Astra server as a back-up solved my Astraweb problems when I used them as my unlimited.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't it all the same content in the end? I have the same issues too so I`ll see if your solution works.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Dodoman posted:

Isn't it all the same content in the end? I have the same issues too so I`ll see if your solution works.

If they are coming from two different locations, there is less chance of the same files being corrupted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
One of the more recent issues I'm having is deleting files after I've downloaded them. Nearly every time I do, I get a pop up about "Thumbs" files and can't continue - no matter how many times I click "Try Again". The file isn't open in any media player or file viewer (win explorer, etc).

What's going on?