Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Joe Mama posted:

Microorganisms? Stuff can grow in diesel if there's some water in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Joe Mama posted:

3 months old. I have no clue.

[...backstory...]
At work we have a 1990 C2500 diesel that used to get used in the 90's but has mostly sat since. We recently decided to give it a second life by getting rid of the useless winch assembly on the back and put on a flatbed. When I went to start taking it apart I noticed the electric lift pump wasn't doing so hot so I replaced it. The whole fuel system was coated with a thick, sticky varnish substance (probably due to previous biodiesel use) along with what appeared to be pulverized rust or something. So I systematically clean everything in the fuel system. The tank had to be emptied, steam cleaned, dried, repeat. After that, this new sending unit/dip tube went in. 3 months later, the truck is running like crap again. After checking everything else possible I finally decide to check the tank. That above is what I find, covered in rust/varnish/vaseline/?, plus a tank interior that looks just like someone had coated it vaseline and threw black sand at it. 3 MONTHS. How in the hell did this happen? Help me.

You know how at the pressure regulator on the fuel rail of some efi cars (can't vouch for diesels) will bleed of excess fuel pressure and circulate it back to the tank? Perhaps the fuel rail, fuel filter, intake plenum or something else that the fuel comes into contact is filthy with poo poo that the diesel can dissolve before going back into the tank. Or perhaps the fuel filter is so old its decaying into that black poo poo. Or perhaps it somehow has something to do with the truck being from a generation before the use of ultra-low sulfur diesel?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have to ask, is a timing belt considered basic maintenance? My brother snapped his timing belt and gave all sorts of excuses as to why he didn't do it, including "it shouldn't have to be done/a shop should have told me/it's not basic maintenance."

The belt is cracked and looks terrible, along with the idlers and tensioner. Stupid, preventable poo poo like that pisses me off.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Timing belts are indeed considered to be basic maintenance (on cars that use them), though many people either ignore them or don't bother learning what maintenance is supposed to be done. They don't need to be looked after nearly as much as, say, oil changes and air filters, and if he's used to driving newer cars, he may not have owned a car long enough to worry about it before. Or he's just been lucky.

The owner's manual of every car with a timing belt should have a service interval specified. But that would require actually opening the manual. :effort: Depending on the car, it should be changed anywhere from 50k-120k miles and/or 4-10 years. Most cars on the market now have a manufacturer-recommended interval of 90-120k.

Hopefully it's not an interference engine. And tell your brother that it's not a shop's responsibility to hold his hand.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 1, 2011

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

I have to ask, is a timing belt considered basic maintenance?

Yes. Especially when the failure of that single slice of rubber can mean an entirely wrecked engine. The timing belt is sacred and not to be hosed with.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

If you want to be a dick about it (you do, he deserves it), pull the owner's manual, turn to the page about maintenance, and show him where it says timing belt. Then suggest that if it's too hard for him to read the owner's manual, perhaps you could read the rest of it to him or try to find a "book on tape" for him.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.
Are there ever warning signs or noises when the timing belt is about to go? Or does it come down to watching the odometer and having a look every now and then?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

teh jhey posted:

Are there ever warning signs or noises when the timing belt is about to go? Or does it come down to watching the odometer and having a look every now and then?

Pretty much the only warning sign you get that the timing belt is failing is the sound of your pistons smacking into the valves. So that would be "no".

If you are changing your timing belt at the right interval, you should be able to lay it down next to the new one and not tell them apart.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ratbert90 posted:

I have to ask, is a timing belt considered basic maintenance? My brother snapped his timing belt and gave all sorts of excuses as to why he didn't do it, including "it shouldn't have to be done/a shop should have told me/it's not basic maintenance."

The belt is cracked and looks terrible, along with the idlers and tensioner. Stupid, preventable poo poo like that pisses me off.

For your brothers sake, I'm hoping you mean serpentine belt. Which is also basic maintenance. If your brother is looking to blame this on a shop that didn't tell him he needed it done... then smack him for me.

trouser chili posted:

If you are changing your timing belt at the right interval, you should be able to lay it down next to the new one and not tell them apart.
Funny thing about that, you're right. And it sucks when you have a terrible short term memory.
"Oh gently caress... which one did I take out?"

While we're on the topic:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

[img timing belt carnage]

You know how they have shock pics of diseased lungs on cigarette packs? They should have pics like this on the face of service booklets.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Ola posted:

You know how they have shock pics of diseased lungs on cigarette packs? They should have pics like this on the face of service booklets.

This is a brilliant idea, maybe even put some average repair costs for said damage.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

how did you clean the tank and did you coat it afterwards? red kote, por15, fuel, etc...

...and The Scientist...

No coating, just new fuel. It is possible that something got flushed back in through the return side because I couldn't clean every last thing.

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
I am the ones who are the balllickers.
Grimey Drawer

Joe Mama posted:

No coating, just new fuel. It is possible that something got flushed back in through the return side because I couldn't clean every last thing.

If there is rust in the gas tank, just cleaning it won't fix it. It will just come back. The previous owner of my old Scirocco rally car "cleaned" the tank a year before I bought it. At the first testing day, the newly formed rust stirred up and caused tons of problems.

I had to drain and drop the tank, and send it to a gas tank renu place that sandblasted the inside of it and then coated it inside with a sealer. That stopped it. Then I rolled it :(

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

For your brothers sake, I'm hoping you mean serpentine belt. Which is also basic maintenance. If your brother is looking to blame this on a shop that didn't tell him he needed it done... then smack him for me.

Nope, it was the timing belt, snapped right at the crank pulley. I will pull the head today.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

StimpyBoy posted:

If there is rust in the gas tank, just cleaning it won't fix it. It will just come back. The previous owner of my old Scirocco rally car "cleaned" the tank a year before I bought it. At the first testing day, the newly formed rust stirred up and caused tons of problems.

I had to drain and drop the tank, and send it to a gas tank renu place that sandblasted the inside of it and then coated it inside with a sealer. That stopped it. Then I rolled it :(

That sucks man, there is a recall on Scirocco gas tanks for rust so you could have gotten a new one for nothing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Billy Tully posted:

That sucks man, there is a recall on Scirocco gas tanks for rust so you could have gotten a new one for nothing.

ding! ding! ding! we have a winner!!!
if you're not looking to replace it than etching it could work (although it's a total pita)

Get a bunch of phosporic acid (home depot sells phosporic etching acid with a rust inhibitor built in) and swirl a few (properly diluted) gallons around in your tank with some sand or nuts and bolts or whatever other abrasive to knock the worst of the rust off.

Then coat it with a tank liner if you feel so inclined.

Another option is electrolysis. (sorry to those who don't have the archives upgrade. you'll just have to google it)

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ding! ding! ding! we have a winner!!!
if you're not looking to replace it than etching it could work (although it's a total pita)

Get a bunch of phosporic acid (home depot sells phosporic etching acid with a rust inhibitor built in) and swirl a few (properly diluted) gallons around in your tank with some sand or nuts and bolts or whatever other abrasive to knock the worst of the rust off.

Then coat it with a tank liner if you feel so inclined.

Another option is electrolysis. (sorry to those who don't have the archives upgrade. you'll just have to google it)

Or just use Works toilet bowl cleaner. Its like 20% hydrochloric acid by weight.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I suppose this counts:

It was during an 'enduro' race with a bunch of demo derby cars last weekend.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
As far as timing belt breakage being anyone else's fault, it's not. I am a service writer at a (lawnmower) shop that serves commercial customers for a major metropolitan area. Even if you buy our premium commercial tune up in the spring, you'll need to do a lot of the steps again by July and again in September. We're not going to give you a list of stuff to do, the hour meter is right next to the key switch. Don't bitch if your spindle bearings poo poo because you haven't greased them for 300 hours.

You read your manual and you tell me. Or just pay the piper.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

teh jhey posted:

A regular check is definitely a good thing too. The previous owner of my car had the belt changed but skimped on replacing the tensioner, which then wore out and the belt started slipping off the gear and shredding itself against the plastic cover. I took it to a garage for a yearly service and they were horrified when they removed the cover and it was full of shredded fluff and the belt was barely clinging on. After seeing the pics in this thread, I can just imagine the bullet I dodged there.

edit: and I'd put off getting it serviced by a month or two as well.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Shroomie posted:

I suppose this counts:

It was during an 'enduro' race with a bunch of demo derby cars last weekend.

I like that the guy in the striped shirt is pointing, like the giant fireball is something that may be missed.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

meatpimp posted:

I like that the guy in the striped shirt is pointing, like the giant fireball is something that may be missed.

It's within the realm of possibility that he is saying this:

"No Bobby - it's BEHIND the giant fireball..." :colbert:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

peepsalot posted:

If it was a pothole, especially a newly formed one, check and see if local law holds the town/city accountable for damage caused.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GWBBQ posted:

If it was a pothole, especially a newly formed one, check and see if local law holds the town/city accountable for damage caused.
Isn't it the other way round? If it's been there a while and they've been previously notified about it, then they're liable?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

InitialDave posted:

Isn't it the other way round? If it's been there a while and they've been previously notified about it, then they're liable?

No, its the way he said. Picture a huge sinkhole opening up. Until they have a chance to react and put up signs there's some sort of insurance cover-their-rear end in effect while the first 30 people drive into it.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

It's not my wheel

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

Good luck I had a pothole rip a tire straight off a rim once and didn't get poo poo. Chance are if you live in a populated area and there was a pothole big enough to do that to your car, chances are it did something to 10 other cars and you better believe less than half are getting settled.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
But why would a local city council ever take time out of their "busy" agenda to legislate that they be held accountable for anything? I can't imagine how laws like that could ever be allowed to exist.

I was thinking about making a thread for "unique" solutions to mechanical problems - like how I once used a ratcheting cargo strap to compress a leaf spring on the front of a ford ranger so that I could get the spare tire on (in a pinch). I was doing it for a bunch of morons on the side of the road that I pulled over to help; the strap was rated for 10,000 lbs and I said "it shouldn't break, but if it does you can say that you curled 10,000 lbs. But if you here that loving truck so much as groan or creak, you get the gently caress out of there."

I wish I could think of more examples that I've used in the past, but they escape me at the moment. What do you guys think, what a thread like that go over well?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kronix posted:

Good luck I had a pothole rip a tire straight off a rim once and didn't get poo poo. Chance are if you live in a populated area and there was a pothole big enough to do that to your car, chances are it did something to 10 other cars and you better believe less than half are getting settled.

This. I once hit a manhole that had sunk 8-10 inches below the surface of the road and trashed a snow tire and the wheel it was attached to. When I contacted the city their response was "we've been running notices in the local paper about that for two weeks now, you should have known about it." The fact that I live 30 miles away and therefore was not a subscriber to the local paper didn't seem to register, nor did my question as to why they couldn't be bothered to put a cone on it to warn people.

Oh, and I never got any kind of reimbursement either.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
The town directly west of me let a 4 lane state route artery get so awful people were trashing suspension daily. There was a class action suit, the city had to resurface the road, then pretty much told everyone they were bankrupt and laid off half their police and fire people.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Scientist posted:

I was thinking about making a thread for "unique" solutions to mechanical problems - like how I once used a ratcheting cargo strap to compress a leaf spring on the front of a ford ranger so that I could get the spare tire on (in a pinch). I was doing it for a bunch of morons on the side of the road that I pulled over to help; the strap was rated for 10,000 lbs and I said "it shouldn't break, but if it does you can say that you curled 10,000 lbs. But if you here that loving truck so much as groan or creak, you get the gently caress out of there."

I wish I could think of more examples that I've used in the past, but they escape me at the moment. What do you guys think, what a thread like that go over well?

I vote yes, we need a jerry-rigging/redneck repair/git-r-dun thread.

Ratcheting straps, is there anything they can't do? :allears:

(I have a whole bunch of the drat things for securing my bike to ferries etc., the really cheap flimsy ones are the best thing ever.)

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

KozmoNaut posted:

I vote yes, we need a jerry-rigging/redneck repair/git-r-dun thread.

Ratcheting straps, is there anything they can't do? :allears:

(I have a whole bunch of the drat things for securing my bike to ferries etc., the really cheap flimsy ones are the best thing ever.)

I've heard of people using ratchet straps to replace the top "dog bone" engine mounts on '90s era GM cars.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

My favourite use of ratchet straps was pulling Juniper bush stumps out of the ground, it made me enjoy pulling stumps which is one thing I always loathe doing.

Godzilla525
Sep 28, 2010

Sponge! posted:

No, its the way he said. Picture a huge sinkhole opening up. Until they have a chance to react and put up signs there's some sort of insurance cover-their-rear end in effect while the first 30 people drive into it.

Unless it's maintained by PennDOT, in which case they won't be liable for anything thanks to a law enacted in the late '70s. Assholes. I had three wheels get bent last winter.

There was one sinkhole on I79 that looked like it caused a semi truck to roll judging from the guard rail and skid marks. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture, but that section of highway has since been replaced. I just have to deal with the Turnpike now, which in some sections is worse. Since that's NOT maintained by PennDOT, people might have better luck getting compensated for damages.

By the way, Subaru steel wheels are apparently made of butter.

Cop
Nov 14, 2007

Godzilla525 posted:

By the way, Subaru steel wheels are apparently made of butter.

I think mostly all steel wheels are pretty crappy. I went through about 2 or 3 one winter from hitting potholes.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Sponge! posted:

Or just use Works toilet bowl cleaner. Its like 20% hydrochloric acid by weight.

That does not do the same thing at all. Phosphoric acid 'converts' the rust to non-reactive Ferric Phosphate. HCl just removes the rust and leaves the metal bare ready for more rust reactions.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

DELETED posted:

I've heard of people using ratchet straps to replace the top "dog bone" engine mounts on '90s era GM cars.
That was me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

DELETED posted:

I drove a '68 Dodge Charger with a 440 that ripped drivers side motor mounts out with alarming regularity (putting divots into the hood in the process normally). After having the bolt fail in a solid motor mount, I just gave up and used some old logging chain and bolted the drivers side of the engine down front and rear, directly to the frame. Worked like a champ.

Sadly, no photos of that era in my car life have survived to my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thereifixedit.jpg