Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So apparently Ford has had a TSB out on the noise pre-2009 Mustangs make when going over speedbumps. Looks like new UCAs. And all this time I thought it was just a noisy car (driving an NA miata for most of my life made me resistant to rough rides).

Just as my warranty ran out :/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

shodanjr_gr posted:

So apparently Ford has had a TSB out on the noise pre-2009 Mustangs make when going over speedbumps. Looks like new UCAs. And all this time I thought it was just a noisy car (driving an NA miata for most of my life made me resistant to rough rides).

Pretty sure TSBs aren't tied to warranty coverage. I know the '94/'95 head gasket issue was still covered well into 2003.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

frozenphil posted:

Pretty sure TSBs aren't tied to warranty coverage. I know the '94/'95 head gasket issue was still covered well into 2003.

TSBs are not necessarily recalls. They're just updates on known maintenance issues. Don't go into a dealership with a printout of a TSB from teh internet demanding your pound of flesh, you won't get free service and you won't make many friends.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

shodanjr_gr posted:

If that's the TSB I'm thinking of it's no big deal, the noise won't get any worse and it won't damage anything. There's an updated lower control arm with improved bushing. If you want to PM me I can double check the coverage for you.

A.o.D. posted:

TSBs are not necessarily recalls. They're just updates on known maintenance issues. Don't go into a dealership with a printout of a TSB from teh internet demanding your pound of flesh, you won't get free service and you won't make many friends.

TSBs are never recalls. Recalls are FSAs or "customer satisfaction programs."

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
TSBs sometimes have a repair through date. They do expire though as they don't want to be on the hook 100 years from now to fix something they don't have the tools or parts to fix.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Wow. Those videos make me wish I could magically swap that motor into my subaru.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Elephanthead posted:

TSBs sometimes have a repair through date. They do expire though as they don't want to be on the hook 100 years from now to fix something they don't have the tools or parts to fix.
But my Model T has a damaged vulcanisor! :argh:

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

pienipple posted:

If that's the TSB I'm thinking of it's no big deal, the noise won't get any worse and it won't damage anything. There's an updated lower control arm with improved bushing. If you want to PM me I can double check the coverage for you.

I've been thinking of doing some suspension work anyway so it might be worth doing that as well.

You got an email? I'm a cheap bastard that can't afford PM.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

New TSB (11-7-7) out for '11+ Mustangs and F150s with the 5.0 engine. It's basically just a warning to dealers to look for aftermarket tunes because people have been popping engines using the Bama tune. Instead of singling one company out, Ford is telling dealers to look for any aftermarket tune before honoring engine warranty work.
The .pdf of the TSB

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's not just honoring warranty work - it's full on warranty cancellation according to the flowchart in that doc.

Seems like a bit of an about-face from their previous mod-friendly stance when originally only people with increased rev limits were having clutch issues. Shame that assholes who mod their car, blow the engine, and expect Ford to cover it are ruining it for everyone, though.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's not just honoring warranty work - it's full on warranty cancellation according to the flowchart in that doc.

Seems like a bit of an about-face from their previous mod-friendly stance when originally only people with increased rev limits were having clutch issues. Shame that assholes who mod their car, blow the engine, and expect Ford to cover it are ruining it for everyone, though.

Eh, Magnusson-Moss won't let them ditch the entire warranty. I agree, though. A few bad apples spoils the bunch. I can't really blame Ford, though. The people with lovely tunes from American Muscle/Bama were posting all over the place blaming the problems on Ford instead of their lovely tune. Ford had to do something to stem the negative tide, and unfortunately this is the route they chose.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Eh, Magnusson-Moss won't let them ditch the entire warranty. I agree, though. A few bad apples spoils the bunch. I can't really blame Ford, though. The people with lovely tunes from American Muscle/Bama were posting all over the place blaming the problems on Ford instead of their lovely tune. Ford had to do something to stem the negative tide, and unfortunately this is the route they chose.

I like their little flowchart. What's stopping a guy running a tune from flashing back the original then disconnecting a battery terminal for good measure?

Also the whole "you're running a tune, any tune, WE NO WARRANTY" seems extreme...hell, Ford Racing offers tunes...

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

I'm very glad I never got a tune from AM/Bama. Now what happens if I pick up longtubes? I'll need a tune to get anything out of them right?

Also, what about the tune from the FRPP catalog?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

I like their little flowchart. What's stopping a guy running a tune from flashing back the original then disconnecting a battery terminal for good measure?

Also the whole "you're running a tune, any tune, WE NO WARRANTY" seems extreme...hell, Ford Racing offers tunes...
There's a run in period of around 75 miles that you need to complete to trip the flag in the ECU that says "this vehicle had the ECU hosed with recently". There's a whole bunch of things you have to do like idleing a certain amount of time with the AC on and off, etc... You can do it, but the ECU still reports how many miles it's been since it was reset, so you're still screwed if they care to look that hard.
Basically, if your dealer was cool with mods before, they probably still are.

kronix posted:

I'm very glad I never got a tune from AM/Bama. Now what happens if I pick up longtubes? I'll need a tune to get anything out of them right?

Also, what about the tune from the FRPP catalog?
No clue, but that is a good question regarding the FRPP tune.
I guess I don't see this as that big of an issue. If you gently caress with the tune and your engine pops, why would you expect Ford to honor their warranty? You wouldn't expect a motherboard manufacturer to honor their warranty if you tried to flash the BIOS with a 3rd party version and bricked the board would you?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

frozenphil posted:

There's a run in period of around 75 miles that you need to complete to trip the flag in the ECU that says "this vehicle had the ECU hosed with recently". There's a whole bunch of things you have to do like idleing a certain amount of time with the AC on and off, etc... You can do it, but the ECU still reports how many miles it's been since it was reset, so you're still screwed if they care to look that hard.
Basically, if your dealer was cool with mods before, they probably still are.

I thought that the ECU would throw a P1000 if you pulled the battery anyway. Guess I was wrong.

quote:

No clue, but that is a good question regarding the FRPP tune.
I guess I don't see this as that big of an issue. If you gently caress with the tune and your engine pops, why would you expect Ford to honor their warranty? You wouldn't expect a motherboard manufacturer to honor their warranty if you tried to flash the BIOS with a 3rd party version and bricked the board would you?

It's a case of "correlation does not always equal causation". Especially since an engine probably wouldn't explode right after flashing the ECU.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Eh, Magnusson-Moss won't let them ditch the entire warranty.

True, but let's face it, with this they could pretty easily cancel the entire powertrain warranty.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

It's a case of "correlation does not always equal causation". Especially since an engine probably wouldn't explode right after flashing the ECU.

The problem with the tune that has been popping engines is that they sold hundreds of them, but only a few people have had an issue and some of them only happened months after the tune. If you aren't going WOT with lovely gas you'll probably never have it happen to you. However, if you do happen to get a bad tank and decide to go WOT, kiss cylinder 8 good bye.
Who would have thought turning off the knock sensors while commanding a global fuel decrease and spark increase would be a bad idea? :v:
It's like they went, "What do these knock sensors do? No idea. Yeah, let's turn that poo poo off then".

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

That throws off a code which will make them wonder about why the system was cleared or battery unhoooked. They don't mention it in the bulletin, but with the "call for hotline" step I'm sure Ford Corporate has some ECU parameters or a way to look at the ECU to tell if it was reflashed. I doubt they'd actually go through all that trouble unless you majorly gently caress up the engine, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot by deterring one of the biggest Mustang selling points if they deny engine warranties because a coil pack dies and hey is that a tune?

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 1, 2011

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Who would have thought turning off the knock sensors while commanding a global fuel decrease and spark increase would be a bad idea? :v:

What does turning off the knock sensors get you? Seems like it'd only be something you'd do in certain situations where you didn't mind risking the engine, like professional drag racing or something like that.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

What does turning off the knock sensors get you? Seems like it'd only be something you'd do in certain situations where you didn't mind risking the engine, like professional drag racing or something like that.

A very aggressive map might have occasional slight knock, or sensitive knock sensors might trigger when none are actually present. The knock signal can trigger a CEL, cause the ECU to pull timing, or put the engine into a limp-home map.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 1, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

Literally nothing. Bama turned them off because they didn't add horsepower, so they must be useless, right? :v:

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Literally nothing. Bama turned them off because they didn't add horsepower, so they must be useless, right? :v:

Bama literally killed the entire Mustang mod scene in one fell swoop. You can't do anything on the later year Mustangs without needing to get into the computer. Who's going to give up a powertrain warranty especially with how finicky some of the MT-82s have been?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Some of y'all are kinda hard on Bama on this issue. I don't know a lot about the situation, but on various forums I read that at least one of the popped engines was on the FRPP (Ford Racing) tune, and others have been stock. Can anyone point me to data or information that "implicates" Bama?

I'm following this closely because I'd like to use a tune to perk up* my 5.0, but I don't want to get into a warranty issue.

*I don't even feel like I need more power, but Ford's stock throttle response is not crisp, and the auto tranny shifts like an old man's Cadillac. The 5.0 automatics need a tune just for driveability.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS
Just speaking from dealing with motor guys and companies, especially in hot markets, some will put out a kinda poo poo initial product and improve it later just so they could be among the first to market. Dunno though

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Number_6 posted:

Some of y'all are kinda hard on Bama on this issue. I don't know a lot about the situation, but on various forums I read that at least one of the popped engines was on the FRPP (Ford Racing) tune, and others have been stock. Can anyone point me to data or information that "implicates" Bama?

I'm following this closely because I'd like to use a tune to perk up* my 5.0, but I don't want to get into a warranty issue.

*I don't even feel like I need more power, but Ford's stock throttle response is not crisp, and the auto tranny shifts like an old man's Cadillac. The 5.0 automatics need a tune just for driveability.

I've been all over this and I've only seen Bama implicated with actual facts. There was a guy who tried to blame Livernois, but magically disappeared when Livernois asked for his info so they could see what version of their tune he bought so they could give him a new engine and free tune upgrades to others.
I've never heard of FRPP being implicated.
Check out modularfords.com. You'll have to do a lot of digging and read between the lines and look and post history to see what mods they bragged about buying before their engine popped as no one is willing to say whose tune popped their engine over fear of litigation.

The Mustang modding community is full of retards, but if you know how to read between the lines and who to listen to you can find out the real deal on stuff.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

I've been all over this and I've only seen Bama implicated with actual facts. There was a guy who tried to blame Livernois, but magically disappeared when Livernois asked for his info so they could see what version of their tune he bought so they could give him a new engine and free tune upgrades to others.
I've never heard of FRPP being implicated.

I agree Phil, it looks really bad for Bama. I remember reading something written by one of their tuners on the forum claiming that his canned tune was being used by quite a few people who were having issues after supercharging and getting a dyno tune. A lot of the guys at tuning shops like Bama have quite a presence in the forums and it wouldn't surprise me if they had employees and friends implicate other shop owners to save a little bit of face.

Number_6 posted:

I agree I couldn't give 2 shits about anymore power but it definitely feels like the car cuts power somehow between gears. It could also be the traction control loving with me but merging on the highway and going 25-80 I feel like the car hesitates for an instant when I grab a gear and go WOT. I've read others say with a tune they're chirping the wheels in 3rd gear thanks to better throttle response.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Is realtime mapping not available? Subaru peoples have been using it to get around the same dealer issue for awhile now.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

kronix posted:

I've read others say with a tune they're chirping the wheels in 3rd gear thanks to better throttle response.

I do this with the 3.7l and a tune.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Internet Meme posted:

Is realtime mapping not available? Subaru peoples have been using it to get around the same dealer issue for awhile now.

Not with the stock ECU, no.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

thetechnoloser posted:

I do this with the 3.7l and a tune.

Do you have the pony package v6? I'd just be even more impressed if you did. That 3.7l is nuts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Does anyone have a size comparison pic of the 3.7 and the 5.0?
I'm just curious how different they are in size, all things told.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Number_6 posted:

I may be wrong but I'm reasonably sure mods from FRPP are a-ok for your warranty, even the tunes. We don't do a huge amount of Mustangs but we've had some with FRPP mods and it wasn't a coverage issue.

They're actually not too cancel happy, unless your aftermarket stuff is directly causing the problem you can swap your stock stuff back in and usually get the problem covered. How easy that is is another story, usually with our customers it's telling them to remove the plug-in chip and pop the stock airbox back on their diesel trucks.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

pienipple posted:

I may be wrong but I'm reasonably sure mods from FRPP are a-ok for your warranty, even the tunes.

If you're nervous, have the dealer "install" the tune for you and keep your warranty.
http://fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12346

quote:

Unlike our competitors, all Ford Racing Power Upgrade Packages are 50 state emissions legal and eligible for limited warranty when installed by a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury Dealer

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

frozenphil posted:

If you're nervous, have the dealer "install" the tune for you and keep your warranty.

Just saying the air filter makes that entire kit worth every penny. :psyduck:

Should have made it funnier and put a Fram Air Hogs in with it or something.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Hey sorry if this isn't the place to ask, I haven't ever really posted in AI.

So anyway I'm getting a 97 mustang for really cheap from one of my friends, and the only catch is that it needs new paint. Its fixable, but I'd like a different color anyway.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how I should paint my car without looking like an rear end in a top hat? I really like this shade of blue (hex #467b5), sorry for not having an image of it, but would something like that look good on a car?

I'd like to have it looking nice, since everything else on the car is in excellent shape and I'm getting it for almost free anyway so cost isn't a huge issue.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 5, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how I should paint my car without looking like an rear end in a top hat?

Don't. The car isn't worth what it would cost to put a decent paint job on it, even if you do it yourself.

Edit: Like, even if he gave you $2,500 to take the car it still wouldn't be worth it.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
It isn't? Well poo poo. Is it an awful car or something?

That's good advice though. I'm probably going to sell it in a year or so anyway now that I've thought of it.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 5, 2011

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

So anyway I'm getting a 97 mustang for really cheap from one of my friends, and the only catch is that it needs new paint. Its fixable, but I'd like a different color anyway.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how I should paint my car without looking like an rear end in a top hat? I really like this shade of blue (hex #467b5), sorry for not having an image of it, but would something like that look good on a car?

I'd like to have it looking nice, since everything else on the car is in excellent shape and I'm getting it for almost free anyway so cost isn't a huge issue.

Wrap it in vinyl of some type thats all i can offer sorry. maybe try matte white... maybe.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

Hmmm... isnt bama and stuff getting way more power than this? i dont seem to get it, is it because theyre custom? im pretty ignorant about this

"Approximate peak increase of 16 hp / 7 lb-ft on 93 octane fuel"

is this at the wheels?

I ask because my cousin wants to get his ecu tuned but he doesnt want to touch that poo poo with a ten foot pole because hes afraid if anything goes majorly wrong with his engine he'll be stuck with the bill as theyll try to void his warranty. He has heartthrob x-pipe, corsa extreme axle back, thats it, so maybe custom doesnt matter that much. He'll jump on this immediately probably even though the gains aint that great

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

1) You can't just paint a car a different color and expect it to look ok even at all without a lot of money and prep. The only way to reasonably paint the car is keeping it the exact same color.

2) Car colors aren't like picking colors for your webpage. If you pick any color the car didn't originally come in, it generally looks silly. The louder the color and the more daily driven the car the more sillier.

3) If the paint is bad it's not in excellent shape. Even if the car was kept outdoors if it was properly cared for the paint should be fine. In my experience, a hosed outside means other things are hosed. Also, keep in mind 97 wasn't the best year for a Ford anything. They really didn't get their poo poo together until the mid 2000's.

4) This is the most important thing ever and probably should've been #1. DON'T loving BUY CARS FROM FRIENDS ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Buying old cars from other people is a bad idea if you ever wish to see this person again. There will be bad feelings if something goes wrong with the car and you'll always have in the back of your mind that they knew you were getting hosed and just didn't care. No friend will sell you a 15 year old car and tell you it's in excellent shape if they have any clue what they're talking about.

Sorry to be a Debbie downer but there's lots of decent Mustangs of that vintage hanging around looking for a good home, especially the V6's. Don't buy one as a project, please.