Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Qu Appelle posted:

I want a wife :ohdear:

Work ended up going a lot better than planned. I apologized for my little meltdown, and my boss said "Hey - it gets to everybody."

Then he did something awesome. I have a lot of bugs that I have to concentrate on for my work. He actually arranged them by *category*, and taped them on the wall right in front of my test machine. Then, he has me tackle each 'category' systematically. Makes things a LOT more organized for me; and I'm getting a fair bit more done at work as a result. And the depression went away now that I'm back on the Dex full time. This is apparently My Drug. I need to stop fighting it.

That is so great :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

NeilPerry posted:

Okay so my mom is against me going to the doctor for more info because in the end it'll come down to me being prescribed ritalin(I don't think adderall exists in Belgium) and she's pretty certain about it killing your creativity or something. Can anyone comment on that?

Are you of legal age? Then your mom has no say.

It doesn't destroy your creativity at all. If anything, it helps it I've found, because you have the attention span to do the various drudgery aspects that go along with whatever creative venture you pick up.

I'm sensitive to this issue; my mom apparently knew that I had ADHD since I was a child, but didn't confirm it until I was an adult. And she hid it because she was against ADHD medication. That would have been really helpful to know at least for college, because my college experience was completely and totally miserable...because of the ADHD.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Met my Dad and my Brother for lunch today. Finally told them I take medication for anxiety and ADHD. Basically got yelled at. Horray for family support!

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Goodpancakes posted:

Met my Dad and my Brother for lunch today. Finally told them I take medication for anxiety and ADHD. Basically got yelled at. Horray for family support!

My aunt is like that too, except she takes it further and tells me to just drink or smoke a joint. With some family its just best not to tell them anything.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

fagalicious posted:

My aunt is like that too, except she takes it further and tells me to just drink or smoke a joint. With some family its just best not to tell them anything.

Because illegal drugs are safer than taking heavily monitored prescription that has decades of science and testing behind it.:psyduck:

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

2508084 posted:

Because illegal drugs are safer than taking heavily monitored prescription that has decades of science and testing behind it.:psyduck:
yep, especially illegal drugs that have the opposite effect of said medication!

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I don't know if it's common for ADHDers to be night owls or if it's just me. After like 1am, it's like I get a second wind.

I'm a web developer and sometimes I do part time, side work in addition to my main job. So after my 8-5 day job, I try to start working on part time assignments when I get home. Before being diagnosed, it was a struggle to try to work on my assignments after work instead of firing up the XBOX or riding my bike.

Now that I'm medicated, what I've started doing is taking the medication later in the day so that it's still working when I get home. You know what's awesome about that? When you time it so that it works and keeps you focused through most of the night. Then, it probably starts to wear off, but then it's 1am or something and now my night owl mode kicks in.

I did that last night and managed to plow through a task for a potential employer. Started in the evening and Adderall kept me going strong and in the zone and I'm sure as it wore off, my body just took it from there. By the time I finished, it was almost 3am and I wasn't even remotely tired. Crap! I had to get up at 6! :(

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
After it wears off it still takes your body a couple of hours to get ready to start falling asleep. Insomnia is common. Take your pills earlier and see what happens

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
So, I'm 27, was suspected of adhd in kindergarten, was diagnosed at 20, and just started taking concerta about two months ago. My parents and I had always made it a point of pride that I didn't take ritalin like other 'problem children', and since my grades were lovely we hand-waved the entire adhd thing at the time. Haha, yeah, so there have been problems since, most easily summarized by reciting every symptom of adhd alphabetically. Since starting concerta - well, past the first three days, which absolutely sucked - I don't eat or booze when I'm bored, I'm significantly less anxious, less depressed, not kinda angry all the time, content to listen to someone else in the short breaks when I'm not talking, and instead of surfing the internet for ten hours a day, I actually work on my writing, music, etc., etc. Kinda pissed I didn't start this a lot earlier in my life. I was terrified I'd lose all creative impulse, and I've found those fears to be entirely irrational. Would recommend treating the ol' disorder.

So, I'm pitching this question out not to seek medical advice, because I'm seeing a psychologist, but because I wanted to see if other people have had the several adjustment problems I've been having - apologies if all this has been covered earlier in the thread, only managed to give it a quick skim. Went from 18mg to 36mg, and my shrink increased that to 72mg after I called her to complain about some diminishing results, which were kinda expected. I'm a big (fat) guy and my 100lb fiance takes 36mg, so whatevs. Unfortunately, I don't have a great read on how the new dose is affecting me, because the day I started it, my mom got some unexpected bad medical news + other lovely family drama, so I can't really tell if I'm feeling off because this dosage is a little high for me or because my family is the standard 21st century clusterfuck.

So... has anyone here found themselves a little over-prescribed and figured they needed to pull it back a little bit? I'm gonna talk to my shrink, but I kinda think she's... bad. I started seeing her two months ago with the intention of trying adhd meds, and she really forcibly sold my on paxil (anti-anxiety) as well. When I asked her if there were any side-effects, she paused, looked shady, and said 'no'. Three days later, after my sex drive split like NINJA VANISH I spent four seconds on google and found out the poo poo is prescribed for premature ejaculators and wrecks the junk of 30-70% of takers. And also causes weight-gain and balding, so she totally just coerced me into medicine I didn't want that also tends to cause all the poo poo a 27-year-old man would absofuckinglutely not want. So I'm seeing a shrink that strikes me as an over-medicating liar. Anyone have advice on avoiding adhd over-medication or have insight on its affects on anxiety management? Like I said, I'm asking my shrink, but would love a preemptive second opinion.

tl;dnr: Love how the medication's working but may be on a few mg too much, gonna ask my shrink but I think she is poo poo. Looking for non-medical professional opinions and anecdotes on too-high dosages of adhd meds and anxiety coping, given that I have less anxiety now than before I started the meds.

VVVVVVVVV Yeah, I threw the paxil at a stray cat the moment I felt my sex drive disappear, more using that as an explanation for why I'm going to ask these questions to both my shrink and an internet message board. And also to complain about my shrink.

Luegene Cards fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 1, 2011

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I think its important to be informed about your treatment plan as much as possible. You can simply say- I am not going to take Paxil, the documented side effects are not worth it to me. I'm not sure how your shrink or a shrink would react to a smart phone being whipped out, but my gen practitioner loves it. In her cute indian accent she says- yes, be informed, very good which cracks me up every time we do the dance. I feel the same about wishing I had been diagnosed and treated, except I have about ten more years of regret piled on there.

Yes, I am a night own. I am high functioning on low amounts of sleep. On lovely film shoots when everyone shuts down usually after midnight, I usually end up being de-facto First Assistant Director to keep the schedule and get it done. My second wind kicks in. Question- do you have really good night vision? My eyes adjust to darkness really quickly and I can see much greater detail than anyone else I know.

Edit: You can simply say- it made my wiener stop working. That's usually enough for any doctor to go- okay that's not gonna work.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So when you guys were getting a diagnosis, were you subjected to IQ testing? I did half of my test battery last week and I'm going in tomorrow for the second half. I looked up the book/testing materials I went through last week and apparently it was the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale. I dunno if I want to know the results.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

signalnoise posted:

So when you guys were getting a diagnosis, were you subjected to IQ testing? I did half of my test battery last week and I'm going in tomorrow for the second half. I looked up the book/testing materials I went through last week and apparently it was the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale. I dunno if I want to know the results.

Huh, I looked up that test and its the one I just went through. I didn't do too terrible. I really tanked one particular section due to not remembering long division at all. My composite was alright. I did the best on the section that involved building with those blocks. It confirmed my suspicion that I am terrible at "coding"

It was a long test battery but I actually rather enjoyed it. Was an interesting experience.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Goodpancakes posted:

I really tanked one particular section due to not remembering long division at all. My composite was alright. I did the best on the section that involved building with those blocks.

I got stopped in that math section at binomial equations, and blew through the blocks and other spacial thinking stuff. I think the hardest time I had was remembering numbers.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Luegene Cards posted:

And also to complain about my shrink.

I don't know about anyone else but I find the term shrink kind of offensive.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
post edited due to further education on the subject making some of my old posts becoming misinformation to others.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 9, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hamburglar posted:

Do you have teeth impressions on the sides of your tongue?

What is this a symptom of? I have had this for as long as I can remember, and I've never known anyone else who had the same.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
post edited due to further education on the subject making some of my old posts becoming misinformation to others.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Hamburglar posted:

The technical term is a scalloped tongue, and it means your jaw is either too narrow (you might have crowded or crooked teeth in the very front of your lower jaw) or it means your tongue is simply too wide. It's extremely common for people who have it to have a form of sleep apnea known as UARS. It's not as bad as sleep apnea as you don't usually completely stop breathing, but it's (unnotoicably) way, way harder to breath in your sleep resulting in completely poo poo sleep even though you think you slept fine.

If anyone here with this on their tongue has the symptoms of ADHD, extreme exhaustion, "laziness", or lack of energy, seriously consider purchasing something that pulls your jaw forward while you sleep. Saved my life.

Holy poo poo I have this bad too. Do you have links to these devices? Or brand names / technical names?

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!
Not 100% sure on this but I've heard that the tongue thing is often a sign of thyroid issues.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hamburglar posted:

but it's (unnotoicably) way, way harder to breath

Now I'm wondering if this is why I have problems with high intensity cardio. Whenever I have to breathe really hard for an extended amount of time, my jaw hurts. wtffffff

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

I don't know about anyone else but I find the term shrink kind of offensive.

It's kind of derogatory, but seeing as clinical psychiatrists have generally charged me a hundred bucks or more an hour, I figure they can treat themselves to a lexus if they get their feelings hurt. In all honesty, though, I have huge respect for people in the profession, my current doc excluded since she lied to my face about common, awful side-effects of a medicine she frequently prescribes. I'm considering writing the counselor who recommended her, because my counselor was awesome and this other lady really gives off the vibe that she doesn't give a drat.

I mean, I get that 'shrink' is a relic of a general consensus that psychology was bullshit and that using it may propagate those feelings, and could even end up preventing some people who need help not getting it, and I did drop it in a context critical of a particular doctor. I respect the powers of connotation and etymology, but I also think that psychology is respected enough now that it can survive the gentle ribbing of old slang, especially in a thread that highly recommends treatment for mental/emotional health.

Ugh, but I guess that I did come from a background that distrusted psychology enough that it took me an extra twenty years to get treatment, so maybe 'shrink' is carrying more weight than I intended it to. poo poo, I really did intend to categorically disagree with you. Not to derail, but anyone else have feelings on 'shrink', or anyone besides me delay/refuse treatment because of a parent's/your own belief that meds are bad?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Hamburglar posted:

I guess it can be, hell you can have an enlarged tongue because you're slightly allergic to something and not realize it. Point is you shouldn't see your teeth marks on the side of your tongue. It took me until 29 years old to figure that teeth marks on your tongue isn't normal.

Holy shiiiiiiiiiit.

My dentist used to tell me all the time that this would lead to gross abscesses and stuff, and that I needed to stop doing it. How do you stop chewing on your cheeks and tongue when you don't even realize you're doing it!?

I'm going to look into getting those mouthguards sometime soon because this is kind of frightening and weird...but at least I know what it's all about now.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
My dentist pointed out the ridges on my tongue, and said I'm probably stressed and pushing it up against my teeth a lot. I also grind my teeth at night and have a mouth guard for that. I'm pretty convinced I have some kind of sleep problem that is causing my ADD symptoms, but getting a sleep study done has been inconvenient. I believe I am going straight to REM sleep and waking up before I get to the deep sleep phase. But I don't know how often that happens, just that I can have a long-seeming dream and then wake up and see that I've been asleep for 15 minutes.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hamburglar posted:

I found something similar for you scouring the net that you can try since the Somnoguard AP is not being sold, it's called SnoreMeds (http://www.snoremeds.com). Don't be fooled by the name; snoring isn't just for old people or people with a deviated septum. It can be a side effect of UARS or apnea. In fact they regularly prescribe these things to people with mild sleep apnea or people who can't tolerate a CPAP.

The SnoreMeds is way cheaper and does the same thing (it's just not adjustable so when you mold it just push your jaw out as far as you are comfortable with). For the record, I get the same problem as you when I do cardio.

Thanks for this, I've spent more money than this on poo poo that hasn't worked, might as well give it a shot!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hamburglar posted:

What types of stuff had you bought?

Well, I was just talking in general terms, not for sleep aids. I have a killer back pain problem, and I've bought several muscle relaxers and painkillers (with prescriptions) along with cortizone injections and I still have daily tension headaches due to back pain radiating up into my shoulders, neck, temples, and it even causes my sinuses to constrict. I've got bottles of flexeril, xaniflex, valium, mobic, tramadol, amitriptyline, and some other stuff that says I shouldn't drive if I'm taking it. Hopefully, one of these days I will find one that does the job my doctor says it does.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Does anyone get really bad rage? Someone's girlfriend contacted me on messenger and now I just have this teeth grinding rage over her whining I was trying to hit on her boyfriend (online. not even in person).

Anyone have some resources for handling it in the context of adhd?

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Hamburglar posted:

Though there's really no solid study showing what causes ADHD (they just know it can be hereditary), there's a lot of speculation that sleep deprivation can cause it (this brilliant doctor named Steven Park of New York basically dedicated his life to this stuff).

Sucks about no insurance ( :911: ) but let me see if I can help. Do you snore? Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night with your heart beating fast or sweating? Do you need the a/c on when you sleep even if it's cold outside? Do you regularly wake up to piss only to not really have to go all that much? Do you have teeth impressions on the sides of your tongue?

Let me know which, if any of these, you experience.

I can buy that sleep deprivation can make anyone have some ADHD symptoms. I can't buy that it causes ADHD.

I don't snore much, I don't think. My wife says I do sometimes but I never notice it. I hardly ever wake up in a sleep, I have woken up sweaty or with my heart beating fast but it's pretty rare. I do like it cold, but that's just comfortable. If I wake up to pee it's because I have to pee for a minute or 2 straight. I don't think so about the impressions but my tongue is big (and magical according to the ladies :downsrim: )

Lately I have been staying up for 24 or 30 hours then sleep for 5-6 and then do it again. I've actually felt better this way. Not sleepy and tired all the time. I know I shouldn't feel better, and I expect to be really tired and crash sometime, but it hasn't happened yet.

I've seen maybe 2-3 shrinks and they have all been worthless. Maybe that's just me. In my experience, it's kind of like paying a small child to repeat the word "Why?" for an hour a week or so.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Aculard posted:

Does anyone get really bad rage? Someone's girlfriend contacted me on messenger and now I just have this teeth grinding rage over her whining I was trying to hit on her boyfriend (online. not even in person).

You.. might want to contact your doctor. That's not normal in the slightest.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

2508084 posted:

You.. might want to contact your doctor. That's not normal in the slightest.

I've always had really bad mood swings into anger/depression though, last time I talked to my doctor he said that it was normal for people with adhd. Fffffffu- I'm gonna be angry if it isn't.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Aculard posted:

I'm not diagnosed with ADHD(yet) but I do get extremely bad mood swings sometimes. Before I went to college this resulted in me throwing around books or flipping tables because I got so frustrated with school life. The anger itself has mostly changed except for when I was studying for finals and I was having a lot of difficulties concentrating. Instead of them helping me by sharing their notes with me they told me they decided not to share it with anyone. The idea that my friends are refusing to help me while I was struggling to concentrate for longer than ten minutes almost made me throw my macbook across the room.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

2508084 posted:

After it wears off it still takes your body a couple of hours to get ready to start falling asleep. Insomnia is common. Take your pills earlier and see what happens

Interesting - I thought that when the medicine wears off and it's late, your body will start getting tired. On the weekends, I don't mind that though. I actually even take my pills later in the day on purpose so I can really be productive all night long.

TheBigBad posted:

Yes, I am a night own. I am high functioning on low amounts of sleep. On lovely film shoots when everyone shuts down usually after midnight, I usually end up being de-facto First Assistant Director to keep the schedule and get it done. My second wind kicks in. Question- do you have really good night vision? My eyes adjust to darkness really quickly and I can see much greater detail than anyone else I know.

Same here, the wife gets tired around 9-10pm, but that's when I really begin to feel like I'm waking up. I can also function okay on little sleep. I'm not sure if this is the best use for the meds, but with the baby, I've found it easier to stay up later on work days so I can already be awake when he cries for his milk. I then end up getting 4-5 hours of sleep. But, I use the medication to when I get up to really wake me up. On top of using it for my usual needing to focus at work.

Regarding night vision, I've never really compared my night vision to anyone. I think I probably have normal night vision. Oddly enough, my regular vision is pretty good. I usually test as 20/15 and sometimes 20/20.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Aculard posted:

I've always had really bad mood swings into anger/depression though, last time I talked to my doctor he said that it was normal for people with adhd. Fffffffu- I'm gonna be angry if it isn't.
I thought you were talking about it as a side effect of meds, oops. Yeah I lose my temper quite easily, always have.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Aculard posted:

Does anyone get really bad rage?

I rarely get genuinely angry, just frustrated a bit, because I have learned to contain it. When it shows though, I am absolutely livid. Usually it goes away very quickly after it pops out because I am just like oh poo poo gotta stop being angry.

Last time I got really angry was about a year ago. I had just gotten off a closing shift as a waiter and the last table had us open 30 minutes later than normal hours and left a lovely tip. I had plans to go to a friend's house, and these people were going to make me late. During the drive over there, a can of Dr. Pepper exploded under the passenger seat, so I had that mess to clean up, and I couldn't deal with it until I got over there. I was also hungry by this point, and cleaning up the soda was going to make me spend even more time before I could do what I had planned.

When I got up to my friend's apartment gates, I did the whole intercom buzz you in thing, and someone pulled ahead of me, taking my entry, so I would have to call up a second time to drive in. With that last straw, I punched and broke my windshield.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 9, 2013

Thunder from Down Under
Jul 4, 2005

Whoa
I recently had my post battery test consultation and told that I have ADHD, something ive know but didnt bother to attempt to get it looked at for fear of being labeled with drug seeking behavior, I nearly failed out this past semester so I went and got diagnosed. I will be seeing a doctor recommended to me by the psychologist who did my consultation, what I am wondering is what should I expect to be put on, In past years I had taken adderall a few times during major projects and it was really solid and I never experienced any crashes like what I hear people talk about.

I should be seeing a doctor in the next week or so and I have about two month till my last semester at uni starts and I want to use that to find the right med for me. I know adderall works great for me, but I dont think asking for a specific drug would end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Thunder from Down Under posted:

I never experienced any crashes like what I hear people talk about.

If you don't abuse the drug, this won't happen.