Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

What, if any, are some species of sea stars or brittle stars that would do good in a small, say 20 gallon, tank? 55?

Always debating on a marine tank. I'm in love with Banggai cardinals and would love to do a small 55 setup with them.

My used (and abused) 24g aquapod came with 2 stars, one almost 7" across banded serpent and a brittle star that's so big that his body has never been out of the rockwork, he just reaches his arms around the tank to grab whatever he can.

They never eat any of my inverts and stay in the rocks most of the time. I don't think I could even get the brittle out without tearing down the tank. Notice the two brittle legs sticking out in the upper left. He's huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Are LEDs really that great or are they just the latest and greatest bandwagon that everyone is hopping on?

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Anony Mouse posted:

Are LEDs really that great or are they just the latest and greatest bandwagon that everyone is hopping on?

They are pretty great, especially if you can invest in some of those nice dimmable drivers and hook them up to a controller (APEX, etc). You get a lot more Watt/gal from what I've seen and read, and it's obvious your electric bill will benefit from it greatly. I know you can get as good or better depth penetration than MH with LEDs as well as a similar shimmer effects.

tl dr;

They are loving amazing.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Not to mention if you need a chiller because you had metal halides pouring heat into your tank from on high, you can probably ditch the chiller with equivalent LED lighting.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Bought a 50w LED fixture to replace my 150w Halide and it's incredible. No overheating issues, amazing color and my corals love it :D Also it's way cheaper to run 50wX10hrs as opposed to 150wX10hrs.

Emancipator
Mar 6, 2001
Sanchezz, that is one big loving starfish.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Emancipator posted:

Sanchezz, that is one big loving starfish.

He's awesome though, if his body is in the middle of the rockwork, he can reach from end to end in that 24g haha. It's funny putting some mysis in his foot/hand/appendage? and watching the bristles do the wave as they pass it down to his body.

I'll try to snap a pic of his flailing arms when I'm feeding tonight haha.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 17, 2011

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So the big guy decided to forage around last night, here's a shot of him. The tank is 19.75w"x17d"x20t" so that gives you an idea of just how big he is..

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
You're just feeding it mysis? No bigger chunks, krill, etc.?

Emancipator
Mar 6, 2001
Small animals? Perhaps a severed limb or two?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Emancipator posted:

Small animals? Perhaps a severed limb or two?

Well, some of them do have a tendency to go hunting if your fish likes to sleep in the rockwork...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

arioch posted:

You're just feeding it mysis? No bigger chunks, krill, etc.?

I very seldom feed it, It's been in there for just over a year (came with the tank, so I dunno how long it's been in there total) but yeah, he tends to mind his own business. Occasionally if he catches some mysis the mandarin will snatch it out of his little feet. it's pretty funny.

The serpent that's in there mostly lives on the sand behind the rocks. I dunno what he eats as I've never fed him. Although, once he decided to wander around the tank and a ricordea took off a good 2" of one of his legs which is almost back to full size now.

And surprisingly with invert predators that are that big, none of my CUC has gone missing :D

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 21, 2011

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That is a big loving starfish, holy poo poo. I actually just got a new starfish, cleaner shrimp, and 2 Ocellaris Clowns. The Ocellaris Clowns are so cute! When I ordered my first starfish from LiveAquaria, a Serpent Sea Star, it was part of the BYO reef pack. I meant to order another of the same type of starfish, but I guess I ordered the wrong one. Ended up getting a Serpent Sea Star, Fancy Tiger Striped. That thing gets to be like 14 inches in diameter! My girlfriend will freak if we have a starfish that big. I think I may have to find another home for it at some point.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Mine looks like this, but with one :downs: leg thanks to the ricordea.

Bonus:
YWG is mad about sand on his head

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 22, 2011

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
So my murderous clownfish seems to be on his way to killing yet another LPS coral by hosting in it. He killed the frogspawn he originally hosted in which I may have mentioned, and then moved on to my hammer which was pretty big beforehand. Now it is shrinking and looks like it's on its way to death. I admit I am not very knowledgeable about the compatibility with anemone and other things in the tank. Would it be OK to get one(not sure which kind yet) if I just have a tiger watchman goby and a bunch of inverts+clownfish? Will it hurt other LPS coral assuming they are far enough apart? I just want to find some solution beyond just giving the clownfish LPS after LPS to hump to death.

Emancipator
Mar 6, 2001
It's not a 100% sure thing that your clown will take to the anemone. He may murderize all of your LPS and then decide that hosting on a powerhead is the right thing to do.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

a duck posted:

So my murderous clownfish seems to be on his way to killing yet another LPS coral by hosting in it. He killed the frogspawn he originally hosted in which I may have mentioned, and then moved on to my hammer which was pretty big beforehand. Now it is shrinking and looks like it's on its way to death. I admit I am not very knowledgeable about the compatibility with anemone and other things in the tank. Would it be OK to get one(not sure which kind yet) if I just have a tiger watchman goby and a bunch of inverts+clownfish? Will it hurt other LPS coral assuming they are far enough apart? I just want to find some solution beyond just giving the clownfish LPS after LPS to hump to death.

My clownfish hosts my open brain coral very happily even after murdering a frogspawn. He loves it so much he leaves the new frogspawn alone, thankfully. And the open brain doesn't seem any worse for the wear even after 9 or so months of hosting.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

DenialTwist posted:

My clownfish hosts my open brain coral very happily even after murdering a frogspawn. He loves it so much he leaves the new frogspawn alone, thankfully. And the open brain doesn't seem any worse for the wear even after 9 or so months of hosting.

My clowns host the pulsing xenia, which responded by growing even fatter and out of control :(

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I managed to avoid this problem by using my other tanks: I temporarily took out the frogspawn and hammer corals and put them variously in the sump and other tanks, and the clowns eventually gravitated to my anemone.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
My first pair host a corner of the 34g tank, while the other, larger pair in my 90g host some sort of kenya tree which came with them when I bought them :D

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of clowns and pairs--I picked up this little guy from Doni's Reef ... ~3/4-1" long. Now I'm waiting for a picasso or snowcasso to pair up with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYxAQ8qYdg

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

arioch posted:

Speaking of clowns and pairs--I picked up this little guy from Doni's Reef ... ~3/4-1" long. Now I'm waiting for a picasso or snowcasso to pair up with it.

He's gorgeous :D I'd love to get some snowcassos, but they're just so drat pricey :(

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

arioch posted:

He's cute :) he looks a lot like my semi-picasso except for the extra splotch on the face.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It's going to be striking as hell once all the black fills in, too ... you can kind of tell where by that video already.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Been building a 24 LED hanging fixture for my Elos Mini, pictures below for anyone interested. Just waiting on my ALC for my reef keeper so I can set the tank up.

http://imgur.com/a/bzyYN#5clEj

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

MECH VITAE is already stupid.
Would this:
http://www.aquatraders.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=54261
be overkill for a 20 gallon (tall)?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I'd just go with something with 4 T5 tubes for half the wattage.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Do MH bulbs have to be replaced every year? That is one overlooked fact about T5's is that you're paying like $10 a month for the bulbs.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
So I'm hoping in a few months to upgrade a 55 gallon brackish tank with 2 green spotted puffers in it to a FOWLR salt water 75 gallon tank.

Does anyone here have any experience with GSPs and suggestions for possible tank mates? Unfortunately they never got along with any of the BW fish I put in their tank, I'm hoping with the much greater variety that exists with SW and the slightly bigger tank I'll finally be able to keep something else in there. Currently every time a non-fish person sees the tank the first comment is always "that's an awfully big tank for 2 little fish" and it DOES look pretty empty in there.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

revmoo posted:

Do MH bulbs have to be replaced every year? That is one overlooked fact about T5's is that you're paying like $10 a month for the bulbs.

IME it was every 6 months or so.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Oh hell, it's a 250W MH with 4 T5 tubes. I'm gonna go ahead and say that's too much for a 20g tall. At 24" across I'm not actually sure what kind of tank at that size would benefit from that much power.

Also, supposedly, Odyssea fixtures have a terrible terrible track record.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

optikalus posted:

IME it was every 6 months or so.

I replaced mine every 18 months or so, never noticed any coral growth difference really..

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

arioch posted:

Oh hell, it's a 250W MH with 4 T5 tubes. I'm gonna go ahead and say that's too much for a 20g tall. At 24" across I'm not actually sure what kind of tank at that size would benefit from that much power.

Welp, problem is it's already on its way due to my raging stupidity. MH's are not dimmable are they?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

arioch posted:

I had a dual 250w MH Odyssea. They're fine if you just need a good place to put your bulbs. Their bulbs are cheap and will shift after around 4 months use. Their ballasts (which are sometimes not even good to the wattage they claim) will last maybe a year. If you replace both, you'd have a great system (and still be cheaper than a good prepackaged system elsewhere).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Vitae posted:

Welp, problem is it's already on its way due to my raging stupidity. MH's are not dimmable are they?

Nope. On the bright side (heh) you can probably keep SPS and high light loving zoos and crap on the bottom of the tank.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Vitae posted:

MH are not dimmable. If you end up sending it back and really want an MH for some reason.. I have a 150w Current Sunpod that I'd be willing to part with. Upgraded to LEDs and I'm planning a new tank build :D

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

arioch posted:

Nope. On the bright side (heh) you can probably keep SPS and high light loving zoos and crap on the bottom of the tank.

I see what you did there :v:
Actually I was wanting to keep some high light requirement corals, pretty sure with that much output I could get a clam, I've always wanted a clam..

Also, I'm going to pick up a hanging kit from it, so I can hang it at least really high off of the tank.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.
Hello all, I lurked SA since the early days but only registered this year. Great that there's a saltwater discussion!

I've only been into saltwater aquariums for about 1.5yrs but I've had a very healthy successful 65gal with a 20gal sump running for over a year now. There are ~15 fish, ~15 types of coral which are predominantly soft, my favourites being toadstool leathers.

I currently have a project tank that I'm slowly building for the purpose of SPS grow-outs; it's a ~90gal 5' acrylic with 2x400W MH and the hood had T12s but I'm going to use an old T5 ballast for supplement lighting if I feel it needs it. The project is on the cheap so it's a matter of slowly acquiring pieces off of craigslist/canreef members. I really only need a skimmer and return pump now.

Full tank shot from about a month ago:

My favourite fish & coral (Starry Blenny and green polyp'd toadstool):

The sump banditos (3 flame scallops hang out with the macro algae, they're over 6 months old now.)

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Those flame scallops will haunt my dreams.

My tank has been coming along fairly well. I got a few various snails and some blue-leg hermits to eat the hair algae starting to grow and a couple blue chromis as my hope-they-don't-die first fish. All the tests say it's OK and I really didn't think they would but there's always that first livestock ever nervousness. I also got a couple clove polyps from a guy I sold my crappy-rear end skimmer to. From what I've read they grow like weeds so they should do well enough. I'm hoping I won't have to remove them in the future. Coralline algae is also spreading like crazy on every rock now. Really happy about that. Next weekend I plan on getting a couple oscellaris clowns.

I was browsing this thread again to look at the pretty pictures and I noticed someone posted a picture of a flat black slug waaay back. I have one of the same and I found out it is an elephant slug. Pretty neat, my favorite hitchhiker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Just a head up for all the salty goons, Petco is currently having the $1/gallon sale until mid/late July. I'm going to go this weekend and pick up a 40br and 20L for this bad boy :)

(Arsits's rendition)

Going to be drilling it and fitting with the overflow kit from glass-holes.com!

• Locked thread