Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I got a Kindle a bit ago and, based on your recommendations, I gave GotM a try.

I'm going to quote this from the Sci-Fi/Fantasy thread because I still find it hilarious and I have been showing it to people when they asked me "hey, what are you reading":

quote:

Malazan grabbed me by the balls about a third of the way into the first book. It's just a specific flavour that some people love and some people hate. I enjoy books with a million characters and no idea what the gently caress, personally. Infinitely rereadable because there is no time wasted "introducing" people or "settling you in" or "explanations" or any of that pansy poo poo. Instead it's just like BAM THERE'S A WAR BAM IT'S 30 YEARS LATER BAM YOU ARE IN A FAT GUY'S DREAMS BAM A FLYING PYRAMID IS SHOOTING THINGS AT YOU FFFF

I have to say, I'm just getting back into the whole "reading" business (I used to read quite a bit, but most of the things I wanted to read are just not published here, so now that I got a Kindle I have the world's largest backlog), and at first I found the whole "let's drop you in the middle of things" deal to be quite daunting; but Erikson pulls it off amazingly well, and you never feel "cheated" or "off the loop", if things are not quite clear it's because you're missing pieces of the puzzle that are going to be revealed later and it leads you really well into wanting to learn more about the world, the characters and just keep reading.

I've read comments about how his writing starts getting better, so I really look forward to the following books.

On this particular one: I was kind of expecting/hoping that Adjunct Lorne would get fed up (or finally snap) with being the Empress' Adjunct and just leave with Tool, ride to the sunset and show up again in a few books completely changed. Instead, she got shanked by a fat thief. Oh well.

Kruppe: I have to admit, when I hit his first chapter I hated the fat bastard. Then he started growing on me, and suddenly wham, he's the Eel. And two chapters after that wham, he's facing down a Jaghut who just battled 5 dragons and telling him "well, now you're in my dream, and I'm going to gently caress you up". And after all that? He's still a jolly fat man who eats cake and is happy to see his friends. Oh, and I loved Circle Breaker getting his due for his loyalty.

Oh, and finally, I loved when everyone in the book goes "Hood's breath..." and Whiskeyjack suddenly says "Hood's balls". I have no idea why that stuck, but It caught me by surprise and gained me some weird looks when I laughed in the bus.

Sorry about the big spoiler block, I don't know how you guys are handling spoilers around here. I didn't read the whole thread for fear of spoiling myself, but wanted to come by and do a quick trip report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I got a Kindle a bit ago and, based on your recommendations, I gave GotM a try.

I'm going to quote this from the Sci-Fi/Fantasy thread because I still find it hilarious and I have been showing it to people when they asked me "hey, what are you reading":

I have to say, I'm just getting back into the whole "reading" business (I used to read quite a bit, but most of the things I wanted to read are just not published here, so now that I got a Kindle I have the world's largest backlog), and at first I found the whole "let's drop you in the middle of things" deal to be quite daunting; but Erikson pulls it off amazingly well, and you never feel "cheated" or "off the loop", if things are not quite clear it's because you're missing pieces of the puzzle that are going to be revealed later and it leads you really well into wanting to learn more about the world, the characters and just keep reading.

I've read comments about how his writing starts getting better, so I really look forward to the following books.

On this particular one: I was kind of expecting/hoping that Adjunct Lorne would get fed up (or finally snap) with being the Empress' Adjunct and just leave with Tool, ride to the sunset and show up again in a few books completely changed. Instead, she got shanked by a fat thief. Oh well.

Kruppe: I have to admit, when I hit his first chapter I hated the fat bastard. Then he started growing on me, and suddenly wham, he's the Eel. And two chapters after that wham, he's facing down a Jaghut who just battled 5 dragons and telling him "well, now you're in my dream, and I'm going to gently caress you up". And after all that? He's still a jolly fat man who eats cake and is happy to see his friends. Oh, and I loved Circle Breaker getting his due for his loyalty.

Oh, and finally, I loved when everyone in the book goes "Hood's breath..." and Whiskeyjack suddenly says "Hood's balls". I have no idea why that stuck, but It caught me by surprise and gained me some weird looks when I laughed in the bus.

Sorry about the big spoiler block, I don't know how you guys are handling spoilers around here. I didn't read the whole thread for fear of spoiling myself, but wanted to come by and do a quick trip report.

Haha, the short lived Malazan wiki we goons tried to make was called "Hood's Balls." :D

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Generally speaking, this thread is really good about spoilering things that happen later on. I think we may have grown a bit lax about this since the 10th and final book came out earlier this year, but feel free to scroll through some past pages without reading, and you will see a WHOLE LOT of spoiler blocks. :)

Habibi fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 27, 2011

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Just finished House of Chains and I gotta say I'm getting pretty tired of this poo poo. Despite the fact there were a couple of plotlines going on I feel the book is intimately connected with Karsa Orlong's journey: Badass action-packed start, tortuous ages spent doing nothing whilst someone spouts endless pointless words at you leading to no real resolution making me question why I set out to read the drat book (or quest forth from my homeland, to continue the metaphor) in the first place. Seriously? One thousand and thirty four pages to establish a couple of characters? Ugh.

Does it get better or worse from here on out?

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Fargo Fukes posted:

Just finished House of Chains and I gotta say I'm getting pretty tired of this poo poo. Despite the fact there were a couple of plotlines going on I feel the book is intimately connected with Karsa Orlong's journey: Badass action-packed start, tortuous ages spent doing nothing whilst someone spouts endless pointless words at you leading to no real resolution making me question why I set out to read the drat book (or quest forth from my homeland, to continue the metaphor) in the first place. Seriously? One thousand and thirty four pages to establish a couple of characters? Ugh.

Book four was probably one of the weakest in the series, in my opinion, though I still loved it. Book 5 is a completely new cast of characters, and is the best in the series imo, book six is crazy badass, seven is damned good, and books 8-10 vary in quality depending on who you ask.

To be honest, though, if you didn't like book 4 you probably won't want to bother finishing the series. Lots of people love em, but they dont change that much, so if you're hating it and that bored they're not going to change pace suddenly.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah, you have to hang on until you get introduced to the Bonehunters, they're the most badass collection of characters in the series.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

A Nice Boy posted:

Book four was probably one of the weakest in the series, in my opinion, though I still loved it. Book 5 is a completely new cast of characters, and is the best in the series imo, book six is crazy badass, seven is damned good, and books 8-10 vary in quality depending on who you ask.

To be honest, though, if you didn't like book 4 you probably won't want to bother finishing the series. Lots of people love em, but they dont change that much, so if you're hating it and that bored they're not going to change pace suddenly.

Fair warning. There's plenty of stuff I've liked in the books so far; I don't think I put the book down for the whole Chain of Dogs. But I spent most of four waiting for the story to start. And then it ended.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Fargo Fukes posted:

I enjoyed the series but it has its ups and downs, its also definitely not for everyone. I would say it gets worse from your perspective and that it isn't your thing so I would move on. If you want to give it another shot then Midnight Tides and The Bonehunters are better books but after that the series can be fairly uneven. A few of the later books especially are almost exactly what you disliked.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

I would say it gets worse from your perspective and that it isn't your thing so I would move on.

I have a similar perspective.

I'm halfway through Midnight Tides, but House of Chains was the best book for me. Action != plot movement, and HoC was PACKED with revelations. The internal journeys of characters are also becoming the most significant part, so if a reader doesn't follow on that level then it's better to stop reading.

Not sure how one can say that HoC is only introducing a couple of characters. It does almost everything on every level. Even making a list is almost impossible.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I'm really not fussed about more revelations about a D&D campaign setting. Or internal journeys of characters so difficult to connect to. Was I the only person really nonplussed by Whiskeyjack's death? I felt like I'd been given no reason to care about the man. All the characters talk about how awesome he is but I could've done with some evidence, personally For all the expansive detail of the setting I've found it really difficult to screw up an emotional response beyond "Huh" to lore reveals. I guess I'm not the target audience.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah, WJ died too early. I still cared, but not so much. I still HATED Kallor though, and I think it's a testament to Erikson's amazing character writing that he made Kallor not only empathetic, to drat near a hero turn. His will, his long, agonizing life, the decisions he's made, the guy is a tortured soul, and his character progression, I'd put on par easily with a Jamie Lannister. It's just there's so much other poo poo going on, it's kind of a buried gem.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah, Kallor is one of my favourite characters which is pretty impressive for someone who killed his newborn children by dashing their heads against a wall.

Also the Tor reread has just finished Memories of Ice, and SE has commented in the thread about it and also mentioned that he's halfway through Kharkanas One, which is feeling to him like MOI did when he was writing it. Hopefully a good omen.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Funny how I just finished commenting how Kallor is a shallow character (as of MoI).

Fargo Fukes posted:

All the characters talk about how awesome he is but I could've done with some evidence

There's plenty of evidence. In fact every scene from his PoV is meant to do that. I have the opposite opinion: it's shown so much that it makes it unnatural.

There's absolutely nothing "abstract" with him being considered the way he is. In fact the scene where he and Rake face the witches is made entirely to show WJ's choices and how those choices make an impact on the rest of the army. You just can't have more explicit "evidence" than that.

The problem about "not caring" overall is that Malazan is written without "slices of life" scenes, so there's not much traditional space to sympathize with the characters.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Fargo Fukes posted:

I'm really not fussed about more revelations about a D&D campaign setting.

I guess I'm not the target audience.

I'm sorry to say this, but your problem seem to be one of prejudice.

It's quite obvious that you don't consider yourself as the target audience because you believe the target audience is the same of the D&D campaign setting. The problem is there, it's the opposite.

If you are there for the action scenes then most of every book will feel like a burden.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
You get shown and told many, many times how great WJ is. The only thing you never hear or know about up until a certain point was his physical prowess.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

The Gunslinger posted:

I enjoyed the series but it has its ups and downs, its also definitely not for everyone. I would say it gets worse from your perspective and that it isn't your thing so I would move on. If you want to give it another shot then Midnight Tides and The Bonehunters are better books but after that the series can be fairly uneven. A few of the later books especially are almost exactly what you disliked.

I have to agree here, Midnight Tides and Bonehunters seem quite a bit better, though I still enjoyed HoC a lot.

BTW, I have to thank all of you in the thread. I was on a long stretch of time where I did not have any good series to read and was just frankly bored of reading trash or reading old books over and over again.
Then I happened to stumble on this thread and gave this series a chance.
:cheers: to everyone here.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

You get shown and told many, many times how great WJ is. The only thing you never hear or know about up until a certain point was his physical prowess.

Indeed. The scene where he volunteers to kill the people so Rake doesn't have to was pretty great insight into his personality, and why his troops would follow him into hell and back.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
My name is Spermy Smurf, and I'm an ICE hater.

I read Night of Knives and hated my life for the 2 months it took me to get through it.

I got RotCG as a gift, and figured that I was waiting for GRRMs new book to come out (hahahaha, never gonna happen) and I started reading it despite saying I never would.

I'm 50 pages in, and I dont hate hate hate it like I did NoK. Does it get worse?

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

Spermy Smurf posted:

I read Night of Knives and hated my life for the 2 months it took me to get through it.

I got RotCG as a gift, and figured that I was waiting for GRRMs new book to come out (hahahaha, never gonna happen) and I started reading it despite saying I never would.

I'm 50 pages in, and I dont hate hate hate it like I did NoK. Does it get worse?

I'm 200 pages in to RotCG and it seems better than NoK.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Spermy Smurf posted:

I think it gets better as it goes along. The ending is pretty epic.

Meanwhile, I just started Stonewielder, and about 100 pages in. Plot is fine so far, but man, ICE's conversation/characterization is pretty rough. His people don't talk or act like real people a lot of the time, but caricatures of people. He also doesn't like convo flow without interjecting constantly.

Still, worth reading so far.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lunchtray posted:

I'm 200 pages in to RotCG and it seems better than NoK.

It's better than NoK, but still 10x worse than Erikson at his worst. The characters don't act like complete nonsensical morons as they did in NoK, but they're all drawn in very broad two-dimensional strokes.

Also everyone in the Malazan world has fantasy type names, and then there's one dude named Kyle.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Bar. Iron Bar.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Yeah, why does he have to call him "Bars?" What the gently caress is wrong with "Iron Bars?"

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Abalieno posted:

I'm sorry to say this, but your problem seem to be one of prejudice.

It's quite obvious that you don't consider yourself as the target audience because you believe the target audience is the same of the D&D campaign setting. The problem is there, it's the opposite.

If you are there for the action scenes then most of every book will feel like a burden.

Yeah, I'm prejudiced.

I believe all the things you say I do. Normally it's difficult for people to grasp the exact beliefs of another person across the internet, especially over the course of two, one-paragraph posts, but you have managed it so easily and accurately that to you my whole personality and reading comprehension are "obvious".

All books are hard for me because I am so thick.

:downs:

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!
I make some stupid comments to my friend at work who got me reading this series. Started RotCG and I was all "Kyle" are you serious?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

There's a character called Will in Stonewielder.

Also every name has four letters. Maybe five if ICE is feeling racy.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I know Kyle is dumb, but what is this hostility against regular names in fantasy novels? I dun get it. Does it rip you out of the world? GRRM has Robb Stark and probably a few I'm forgetting, Sam is a main character in LOTR. Does anyone even notice if its spelled Kile? Or Kyill or something?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Loving Life Partner posted:

I know Kyle is dumb, but what is this hostility against regular names in fantasy novels? I dun get it. Does it rip you out of the world? GRRM has Robb Stark and probably a few I'm forgetting, Sam is a main character in LOTR. Does anyone even notice if its spelled Kile? Or Kyill or something?

Sam is a short for Samwise. :eng101:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I can accept names like Sam and Will in a fantasy setting because they sound fairly old-timey, and can be abbreviations of longer names that don't come from our world (in the LotR example, Sam is short for Samwise and not Samuel), but Kyle just sounds really goofy for some reason. It's like having a Knight of a High House named Mike.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Yeah, it's not like there's some list of what's acceptable and what's not. It's just about what sounds good, really. If there was a warrior named Bob or Zack it'd be stupid as hell, but I can deal with Robb or even something like Charles.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
His name should have been Kryle. There, that was easy enough to fix.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Grammaton posted:

His name should have been Kryle. There, that was easy enough to fix.

"What is this? Some kind of Kruppe rip-off? ICE sucks Eriksons dick and expects us to assume he's a real writer?"

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Whenever I see Kyle pop up I think he's a fourteen year old farmboy and then ICE starts discussing his giant mustache and it jars me out of the story.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007

bigmcgaffney posted:

Whenever I see Kyle pop up I think he's a fourteen year old farmboy and then ICE starts discussing his giant mustache and it jars me out of the story.

This, I keep imagining him as a young kid who'd been pulled into the crimson guard. Especially since there's so many in there that seem to be "looking out" for him.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Lunchtray posted:

This, I keep imagining him as a young kid who'd been pulled into the crimson guard. Especially since there's so many in there that seem to be "looking out" for him.

Seconding this? Then again all ICE's characters seem juvenile to me.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

I haven't read the ICE books so I don't have any sense of Kyle the character but the name sounds out of place compared to the rest of the names in the Malazan world. Erikson did a good job of conveying a sense of culture and ethnicity with the names he uses. Marines have marine names, but almost everyone else has a name that feels connected with other names from the culture they come from. Its not perfect but it's something I noticed and liked about the books. Quick Ben's name kinda sticks out, but so does a lot else about him so that could well be intentional. I haven't heard anything about Kyle that mentions the oddness of Ben so the name is kinda strange.

In general I don't have a problem with normal names in fantasy books. But when done poorly or mixed randomly with fantasy names its distracting. It would be weird if the three musketeers were Athos, Porthos, ans Sean, right? Its also kinda weird that it's Greymane, Tayschrenn, and Kyle (I haven't read the books, are the three ever even in the same room?).

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

Juaguocio posted:

I can accept names like Sam and Will in a fantasy setting because they sound fairly old-timey, and can be abbreviations of longer names that don't come from our world (in the LotR example, Sam is short for Samwise and not Samuel), but Kyle just sounds really goofy for some reason. It's like having a Knight of a High House named Mike.
There are those who call me... Tim.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Okay so I'm almost finished with book 3 of the series, and while it's been fairly exciting and set up a lot of places for the plot to go I just have a hard time caring about any of the characters.

Paran didn't seem very interesting to me when he first showed up. And now that he's changed so much I still don't feel like he's a full fledged person. In fact all of the characters strike me this way. Whiskeyjack is cool, Quick Ben is cool, Kalam is cool, but they don't actually seem like real people. And then there's guys like Rake and Icarium which I don't care even a little bit about. Then you have your token wacky/funny characters like Kruppe or that Shadow priest from the second book who add a little flair but still seem sort of empty as characters. Maybe it's because all these guys are adults and experienced in ways that your typical fantasy protagonist who is still growing up isn't. But I just find it really hard to identify with any of these "people."
In fact my favorite character might be Tool. Just because he doesn't really pretend to have a character. Except the one time in book 3 he got all weepy. That seemed forced.

Anyone else get this problem?

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

Ccs posted:

Okay so I'm almost finished with book 3 of the series, and while it's been fairly exciting and set up a lot of places for the plot to go I just have a hard time caring about any of the characters.

Paran didn't seem very interesting to me when he first showed up. And now that he's changed so much I still don't feel like he's a full fledged person. In fact all of the characters strike me this way. Whiskeyjack is cool, Quick Ben is cool, Kalam is cool, but they don't actually seem like real people. And then there's guys like Rake and Icarium which I don't care even a little bit about. Then you have your token wacky/funny characters like Kruppe or that Shadow priest from the second book who add a little flair but still seem sort of empty as characters. Maybe it's because all these guys are adults and experienced in ways that your typical fantasy protagonist who is still growing up isn't. But I just find it really hard to identify with any of these "people."
In fact my favorite character might be Tool. Just because he doesn't really pretend to have a character. Except the one time in book 3 he got all weepy. That seemed forced.

Anyone else get this problem?
Icarium and Rake are two of the best written characters in the series as you slowly learn more about them (Icarium shouldn't be mentioned without Mappo, though). Tool gets even more awesome, too. But if you're almost through book 3 and you didn't care about anybody on the Chain of Dogs in book two, or Itkovian and Gruntle in this one, or Fiddler ALWAYS, then this series just might not be for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

LtSmash posted:

Quick Ben's name kinda sticks out, but so does a lot else about him so that could well be intentional. I haven't heard anything about Kyle that mentions the oddness of Ben so the name is kinda strange.

It is pretty odd that the short form of his name is "Ben," since his full name, Adaephon Ben Delat, seems to suggest a Hebrew or Arabic type of patronymic system. If that were the case, his name would mean something like "Adaephon, son of Delat," but since he uses different parts of that name as aliases throughout the series I don't know if that's what Erikson intended.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 4, 2011