Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

!amicable posted:

I think doing some white balance will help your photos a ton. Here's a quick WB courtesy of Picasa.

Thanks, totally had a brainfart on doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Tonight's work:
Not as much fun as Mauler, but hay, he is made of rocks and poo poo.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

S.J. posted:

Thought about that, I did get used to painting grey when I was doing my Space Sharks. And I already know a great way to do a darker bronze color for the metallic trim, and throwing blue into the right places is easy enough. I was also thinking about doing a Khaki color, but I wouldn't know what colors would be best for that.

I use a base of Deneb stone, hit it with a sepia wash then high light up using Vallejo GC Bone White then Dead Flesh.

Here's a sloppy picture of my current WIPs:

Almost everything is nearly done there. I just need to seal and base them.

!amicable fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 1, 2011

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Snollygoster posted:

Ok so I read about richyp throwing together a perfect Incubus in like two loving hours and died from a rage embolism. Now I am a ghost and I want to know what techniques I can employ to speed up my work without sacrificing quality.

To give you an idea: I have 2000 points of Dark Eldar in boxes for half a year. I have painted... 10 wyches. They're almost done - I just need to black and highlight their little hair scrunchies, touch up their gloves and weapons, then color/flock the base. But it's like a labor of Hercules to get myself up to it mentally.

I can concentrate for about 10 minutes, hunched over and tickling little highlights on space sluts, until my neck and back hurt too much to continue or I just get bored or frustrated. I have a little plastic palette. I use a brush to plop a couple paint puddles onto it, thin them out with a plop or three of water till they're easy to work with. By the time those puddles of paint dry, I'm sick of painting and have made barely any progress to show for it.

Here is a visual aid! Someone please help me paint faster. :(

My back starts to hurt pretty quickly which is part of the reason I like to paint fast. All the suggestions (dvd/music/rewarding yourself/painting faces first) are all things that I do too. If you dont have one see if you can get a painting lamp with an adjustable arm, I use one all the time because it's clamped the desk and can be extended toward me which means I can lean back and paint without being in my own light.

Depending on the time of day and whether I have any work on or not its usually:

1) Grab some beer
2) Prime white ( I find it faster to paint on white than black though it is much less forgiving)
3) Do some work
4) Wash the models with black and brown to make it much easier to see the details and to cover any bits I might miss with the paint later. (3-5 at a time)
5) Hairdryer them to accelerate wash drying time
6) Smoke <- personal reward
7) Paint the base colour (3-5 at a time)
8) Smoke
9) Paint the faces (light colour first, wash with devlan, highlight up)
10) Realise you just drank from the cup of dirty paint water instead of beer
11) Mix up some highlight with lots of water and apply one at a time, it shouldn't dry out if it's thin enough
12) Smoke
13) Repeat 11-12 for each highlight
14) Paint gems/hair etc..
15) Take an 8 month break and try to convince yourself your back's telling you your too old for this poo poo.
16) Accidentally look at the forums
17) goto 1

After every squad I like to paint something different, either a character or something completely different (range/army) just so you don't get tired of repeating the above 100 times.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
This is what a couple hours of dubstep got me tonight

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Inverse Icarus posted:

This is what a couple hours of dubstep got me tonight

Liking the green a lot, drum and bass in general is pretty good for painting like a coke addict, here's 2 albums worth from this morning (cross-posting shameless plug):

The Klaives need painting properly and I'm waiting on some resin bases, but I'm really happy with how they turned out, especially since they take about 1/2 as long as the two other test schemes I tried and wasn't happy with.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
So a wet palette is just baking sheet on a sponge in tupperware + water?

Because I have all these things.

Figured out my white cloak recipe last night (the trick was picking a light source and putting the washes away for a change), and the only problem I had left was the mixed paint drying way too fast.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sassassin posted:

So a wet palette is just baking sheet on a sponge in tupperware + water?

Because I have all these things.

Yes, yes it is.

richyp posted:

Liking the green a lot, drum and bass in general is pretty good for painting like a coke addict, here's 2 albums worth from this morning (cross-posting shameless plug):

The Klaives need painting properly and I'm waiting on some resin bases, but I'm really happy with how they turned out, especially since they take about 1/2 as long as the two other test schemes I tried and wasn't happy with.

I somehow both love and hate you at the same time. They look fantastic!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

How do you guys get your paint onto your palette with minimal waste? I have a 10ml syringe but its going to get gunked pretty quick and annoying as gently caress to get stuff out of the new citadel pots.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dishwasherlove posted:

How do you guys get your paint onto your palette with minimal waste? I have a 10ml syringe but its going to get gunked pretty quick and annoying as gently caress to get stuff out of the new citadel pots.

I mostly use Vallejo paints that have their own dropper. For the GW stuff I usually just transfer it with a paintbrush.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I use a cocktail stick to transfer drops. Handy for stirring the paint in the pot (and mixing with water on the palette), and gives a reasonably precise and repeatable measure when I'm mixing ratios on the fly.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Crosspost as promised

Finished these buggies a while ago...

*the rokkits are added, kinda a lame conversion and not very hard...

I like the old school style, spruced up with some new figures (kept old parts and one pair classic for the nostalgia) and the hazard stripes and white letters just scream 2nd edition or gorkamorka to me for some reason.

And here are my landspeeder buggies...

*The lamenter is MasterSlowPoke's as a reference to show I tried to "loot" his painting style vehicles.

Up close :supaburn:...
Buggie #1

I can have smiling missiles too!

Buggie #2

Buggie #3

*these are the ones out of my oath that might win me (plz:allears:) the conversion contest

Their arms are magnetized and I have a few schorcha arms if I ever feel like I want less rokkits on my orks (never)

*picture came out like poo poo on this one...*

I tried some basic weathering, happy with what came out.

What'ca think?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/CONTEMPTOR_PATTERN_DREADNOUGHT_BODY.html

Forgeworld finally releases the pre-heresy space marine dreadnought, and it is huge and awesome.

I already have four painted dreads, but gently caress it. Another (or two) can't hurt.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I somehow both love and hate you at the same time. They look fantastic!

Thanks, you were asking for the recipe earlier and I posted it in the 40k thread. I started some Kabalites earlier and I took a shot of the post washing stage, so here's a shot of step 2 after hairdrying the washes (I've already painted the skin and hair on two but the armour is just wash + hairdryer on all of them).

The trick is to apply the wash slowly so it doesn't pool and bubble, after this it's a case of mixing up some very thin bone colour and lightly layering it over the wash, leaving the recesses like they are here.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
^^richyp, do you add Matt Medium or similar to your washes to help stop them from pooling too?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Uber Kosh posted:

^^richyp, do you add Matt Medium or similar to your washes to help stop them from pooling too?

Nah thats just straight from the bottle, if it pools I just drag it around with the brush to another area or dab it up with a dry brush. I do use it to make washes though add a drop to glaze medium + paint to get custom washes.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Gaaaaah I really messed up his skin tone.

In the pics last night it was a little too red, so I mixed up some paint that was khaki and white mostly, and I thinned it with water / mixing medium. I was hoping it would be thin and translucent, but now his skin is just a light khaki color.

Oh well. At this point I figure adding more paint is going to start killing details on the face, so I slathered on some wash.

I also tried, for the first time ever, to paint an eyeball on a model. You can't see it at all in the picture (I really need to get my light tent out again), but they're just white lines with a black dot. Not terrible.

In the background you can see my neglected Raptors unit. In the last pic you can see how angry he is about not being finished.

"OH COME ON, YOU'RE PAINTING DWARVES NOW?!"

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

S.J. posted:

Anybody got any sources/pics of alternate Cygnar color schemes? I'm not sold on straight blue as the way to go.

Here are a few with links to a few more:

http://i.imgur.com/aVhSZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aUQL4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OADRc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iRFCH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uvhAv.jpg

Yes, I think the Centurion looks awesome.

vvvvvvv Yeah, that's a super well done T-head, but it's no Centurion. :smug:

Aranan fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 2, 2011

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.

Aranan posted:

I think this Thunderhead looks awesome too. I do wish most of the alternate Cygnar schemes weren't just gray with some blue thrown in. But it's hard to do red/white/green without looking like Khador/Menoth/Cryx etc

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Here's some Khador stuff!

Meatslam
Apr 9, 2009
I love the blue horse.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Salamanders Techmarine- red armor with some green here and there, or vice-versa?

I'm inclined to do the latter. Not only is it easier :v: but I think aesthetically it would look better.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Red armor always looks cool. It's hard to do red and green with out invoking Christmas, which sort of sucks.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

My army grows. Still not the greatest at taking photos, but maybe someday I will actually get to play this game.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
richyp: how did you do those pink dark eldar loincloths?

[fake edit] Oh god, I click "Submit Reply" and there's a magical spinning troll. I dig those nails and the rocky bits on his shoulders/chin, rzal. They're orange and he's orange, but there's enough contrast that it stands out.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fyrbrand posted:

Salamanders Techmarine- red armor with some green here and there, or vice-versa?

I'm inclined to do the latter. Not only is it easier :v: but I think aesthetically it would look better.

I wouldn't do a flat 50/50 ratio of red to green, but use green as more of an accent color. Maybe paint the left arm (the one with the chapter emblem) green, maybe one of the knee pads or, depending on the head you use, the frontal face plate.

You could also have him spewing promethium from a flamer mechadendrite and have the OSL kinda take away from the scheme entirely. :v: Either way, don't let the fear of having a model look "Christmas-y" prevent you from trying it.

The Techmarine on the GW website has the model painted mostly in blue with red accents instead. And if the Ultras can get away with it I'm sure the Salamanders will be fine. :colbert:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 2, 2011

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

I wouldn't do a flat 50/50 ratio of red to green, but use green as more of an accent color. Maybe paint the left arm (the one with the chapter emblem) green, maybe one of the knee pads or, depending on the head you use, the frontal face plate.

You could also have him spewing promethium from a flamer mechadendrite and have the OSL kinda take away from the scheme entirely. :v: Either way, don't let the fear of having a model look "Christmas-y" prevent you from trying it.

The Techmarine on the GW website has the model painted mostly in blue with red accents instead. And if the Ultras can get away with it I'm sure the Salamanders will be fine. :colbert:

Yeah I didn't mean a 50/50 ratio, I should have been more clear. Basically I was thinking like you said. I have the same model they did in Ultramarines style.

Actually in looking at the website, I forgot they did one of the Thunderfire Techmarine pics as a Salamander. Looks like they did the helmet and a few other details in a dark red, with the rest of the armor the standard green. That looks pretty decent.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 2, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You could paint the hands red, to symbolize his hands being sanctified or some lame space barbie bullshit like that, loser.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Fyrbrand posted:

Do a rich brown-red, like a brick color so that it doesn't contrast too sharply with the green shoulder pads. That is what I would do, at least.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Aranan posted:

richyp: how did you do those pink dark eldar loincloths?

[fake edit] Oh god, I click "Submit Reply" and there's a magical spinning troll. I dig those nails and the rocky bits on his shoulders/chin, rzal. They're orange and he's orange, but there's enough contrast that it stands out.

Base is Hormaguant Purple + Warlock Purple, then layer through pure Warlock with a highlight of Warlock + the bone mixture I use for the armour (White+Yellow+Brown 4:2:1 ish)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Picked up some InstaMold from the FLGS a few weeks back, and after having some trouble trying to make a decent cast of a Meltagun, came across this brilliant idea. :aaa:

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
Give some help here dudes. I'm painting up some Death Guard in the 2nd edition style (hodge-podge armor that's dark green, black, and leathery), and I'm kind of stuck on how to base them. I'm thinking a red wasteland Mars kind of thing to make the greens pop more, but I'm not entirely sure. I'd give a color scheme reference pic, but can't find any online, sorry.

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006
I'm looking for a good recipe for carved ivory. I'm using these pictures as references:

http://heluva.com.au/2010/03/elephant-ivory/

http://www.cinoa.org/antiques/d/loango-west-african-kongo-peoples-carved-ivory-tusk/48974

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gserafini/475327044/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Unfortunately I can't use any washes as there's no relief on the model, I'm just going to freehand. Any thoughts?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I still cant get over that forums title, jesus christ goons. :ughh:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I picked up a resin Vampire Countess today. She looks awesome. Her sword is a bit bendy though. Part of me is thinking of lopping the blade off and replacing it with one from a plastic skeleton instead.

I'm totally afraid of ruining my lovely €12 model though.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Mr_Happy_Pants posted:

I'm looking for a good recipe for carved ivory. I'm using these pictures as references:

Unfortunately I can't use any washes as there's no relief on the model, I'm just going to freehand. Any thoughts?

Why not use the wash any way and just apply it carefully where you want it, like a paint?

Demiurge
May 29, 2008

Mining for the Greater Good.

richyp posted:

I know this was from a few posts back, but do you prime them on bases and then remove them and put them on different bases?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

PaintVagrant posted:

I still cant get over that forums title, jesus christ goons. :ughh:

I'm baffled that it is allowed to exist when the company policy has been to ban racism on sight.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fearless posted:

I'm baffled that it is allowed to exist when the company policy has been to ban racism on sight.

I never cease to be amazed by how prevalent casual anti-semitism seems to be among goons. I think we need our fairy godadmin to give him a 40k baby avatar, and ban whoever bought him that one.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I never cease to be amazed by how prevalent casual anti-semitism seems to be among goons. I think we need our fairy godadmin to give him a 40k baby avatar, and ban whoever bought him that one.

Rape is still cool though, right?

• Locked thread