Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Scissorfighter posted:

I think a lot of it had to do with effects. 2 had some crazy practical gore (They actually built a dummy full of fake blood and guts to smash under the plate glass) but the fakeness of 4's deaths took out a lot of impact.

4's deaths were too predictable as well; the cause of death was generally what you'd expect when the sequence started. None of the whole "he dodges 17 deaths only to have a ladder go through his eye," or "she dodged the pipe - nope, airbag pushed her head back through it" touches that made the 2nd great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Darko posted:

4's deaths were too predictable as well; the cause of death was generally what you'd expect when the sequence started. None of the whole "he dodges 17 deaths only to have a ladder go through his eye," or "she dodged the pipe - nope, airbag pushed her head back through it" touches that made the 2nd great.

It also has the dude who gets crushed by the falling pane of glass, one of my favorite deaths in the series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rne8gwWP2w

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It would really suck glass to die like that. :downsrim:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

toxick posted:

The thing that had me rolling my eyes first was when the medium explained that their son's astral body was being held prisoner in "The Further" and all that. It just got worse from there and the last 30 or 40 minutes destroyed what atmosphere and suspence they'd managed to build (although when they showed the demon's face early on my expectations immediately sank).

Insidious didn't reach A Haunting in Connecticut levels of stupid, but it came close.

Insidious at its core is a spiritual remake of Poltergeist, so it's tightly wound with pounds and pounds of purestrain camp. It's supposed to be enjoyable, not terrifying. The demon looked sufficiently campy without sacrificing any creepiness, and the Tiny Tim song was also simultaneously hilarious and unsettling. It's a cinematic ghost story and couldn't have been better.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
The last two Final Destination movies annoyed me because of the cynical way they expected you to laugh at each death. Like, I could almost hear laugh track after each kill.
I mean, sure, viewers often cheer during death scenes in lovely unscary horror movies, but here the authors weren't even trying to get any other reaction, or create emotional connection or suspense... :effort: "Eh, gently caress it, just look at some deaths, that's what you came here for, right?"

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

woodenchicken posted:

The last two Final Destination movies annoyed me because of the cynical way they expected you to laugh at each death. Like, I could almost hear laugh track after each kill.
I mean, sure, viewers often cheer during death scenes in lovely unscary horror movies, but here the authors weren't even trying to get any other reaction, or create emotional connection or suspense... :effort: "Eh, gently caress it, just look at some deaths, that's what you came here for, right?"

I've spoken to a few people who said they find part 3 to be far to cruel with some of the deaths.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

Slasherfan posted:

I've spoken to a few people who said they find part 3 to be far to cruel with some of the deaths.

The tanning salon scene was just vicious.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The nail scene was pretty vicious too. Two had the right tone for the series; 1 worked due to being new, but in 3, they tried to apply 1's tone, and it didn't work as well because we already didn't take things too seriously at that point, so it wasn't as cool to do more "mean" deaths. Especially mixed in with stuff like the silly gym death scene.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I've never used a tanning bed in my life and the death scene in 3 pretty much confirmed I never will :gonk: That was brutal. I get really freaked out by "claustrophobic" death scenes, like in that scene, Buried, close call in the vents in Rec 2, etc.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I used a tanning bed once.

Worst 7 days of my life, directly after having used that tanning bed.

So you aren't missing out.

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat

scary ghost dog posted:

Insidious at its core is a spiritual remake of Poltergeist, so it's tightly wound with pounds and pounds of purestrain camp. It's supposed to be enjoyable, not terrifying. The demon looked sufficiently campy without sacrificing any creepiness, and the Tiny Tim song was also simultaneously hilarious and unsettling. It's a cinematic ghost story and couldn't have been better.

I thought Insidious was going for the same atmosphere that Drag Me to Hell went for. Whenever I was laughing I assumed it was deliberate and loved the first demon reveal. I've hated the Saw movies and was pleasantly surprised. Is Dead Silence worth giving a try or is that one just plain ol' bad?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I enjoyed Dead Silence. It has some scary and creepy moments.

There is something in that movie that has haunted me since I saw it. I can't forget it, don't worry I won't do spoilers.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dead Silence and Insidious are almost the same exact movie just replace ghosts with puppets.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dead Silence is not as good as Insidious but it is as enjoyable, if that makes sense.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Final Destination is fascinating to me because essentially there were 2 film makers battling over the series. 2 & 4 were directed by David Ellis, while 1 & 3 were made by Morgan & Wong. The reason 2 works best is because the writers (Who also wrote Butterfly Effect) realise how ridiculous the premise is (And say as much on their pretty good commentary). Their whole script is basically "You know this is ridiculous, so do we, so lets just have a blast with it". For some reason Morgan & Wong hated that and decided the films should be more serious, which is odd given their sense of humour as shown on their X-Files and Millennium episodes.

However, FD3 strikes me with the overwhelming feeling that Morgan & Wong HATE their characters. Both that and their Black Xmas remake are sadistic movies. It's as if they write the most annoying characters possible and then just gently caress them up.

My favourite bit of trivia is that the kid getting crushed with the glass was supposed to be a 10 year old, but the studio decided it would've been in bad taste.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
My friends and I saw Dead Silence right around the same time we rented Darkness Falls, the 2003 flick about the killer tooth fairy who hated flashlights or whatever.
The only reason I remember this is they were similar in a lot of ways that drew out the irritating qualities in either movie.

I enjoyed myself, but only because we saw it in a rowdy theater.
When the credits rolled a girl to the right of us remarked, "That was some bullpoo poo."
That summed up the audience sentiment pretty well, and for a while became our shorthand for disappointingly trite experiences.

So I wouldn't recommend it I guess is what I'm saying.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I enjoy when Final Destination tries to be a bit darker which is why I really like 1 and 3. I think 2 is also really good but 4 is not great, it's way to goofy, far to much cgi and the acting by the leads is pretty bad in it. The producers of 5 are saying it's going to be much darker and much more serious which I'm looking forwards to. Sucks to Americans are getting it 2 weeks earlier then us, going to have to avoid spoilers.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Sorry for double post but I didn't want this to get confused with my FD postings.

The full announcment for Frightfest has been announced, for full details see https://www.frightfest.co.uk

Here are the listings so far, Main Screen.

Thursday 25th August 2011

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark
Final Destination 5 - 3D
The Theatre Bizarre

Friday 26th August 2011

Rogue River
The Holding
Total Film Interview
Urban Explorers
The Glass Man
Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil
Vile

Saturday 27th August 2011

Troll Hunter
The Wicker Tree
Panic Button
Fright Night - 3D
The Woman
Chillerama + Bad Moon Rising

Sunday 28th August 2011

The Divide
Short Film Showcase + Andy Nyman Quiz
The Innkeepers
Saint
Kill List+ Shifter - 6 Min.
Detention

Monday 29th August 2011

Guinea Pigs
Deadheads
Sennentuntschi:
Curse Of The Alps
Inbred
A Lonely Place To Die

Discovery Screen

Friday 26th August 2011

The Man Who Saw Frankenstein Cry
A Horrible Way To Die
Midnight Son
Rabies
Blood Runs Cold
Kidnapped
Stormhouse

Saturday 27th August 2011

The Dead - Live DVD Commentary
Atrocious
My Sucky Teen Romance
The Caller
The Devil's Business
A Horrible Way To Die

Sunday 28th August 2011

Kidnapped
Rabies
Blood Runs Cold
Midnight Son
The Man Who Saw Frankenstein Cry

Monday 29th August 2011

The Caller
The Devil's Business
Atrocious
My Sucky Teen Romance

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

I enjoy when Final Destination tries to be a bit darker which is why I really like 1 and 3. I think 2 is also really good but 4 is not great, it's way to goofy, far to much cgi and the acting by the leads is pretty bad in it. The producers of 5 are saying it's going to be much darker and much more serious which I'm looking forwards to. Sucks to Americans are getting it 2 weeks earlier then us, going to have to avoid spoilers.

See I hate that, and as per my post above that's why I think FD2 got it right. Why is there this need to go dark? The series boils down to "Death is just a dick". It's the ultimate slasher film. If you're going to churn the same thing out at least make it fun. FD3 fails because it has a nasty streak running through it that's a little off putting and because the characters are so terrible. At leas the second film got some laughs out of the cast.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Final Destination is really a deconstruction of the whole slasher genre that completely removes the middleman. It takes the thing that everyone started looking for in the 80s (killer stalks someone, buildup, creative kill), and brings it completely to the forefront, removing the killer itself. Doing that in a completely serious, dark, tone doesn't "feel" right - it then stops feeling like a deconstruction and more like a standard horror film - pretty much the same issue Scream 3 had.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
I guess I just like it when characters seem to take the situation seriously and don't seem in on the joke in the movies.
It's like Child's Play, Ilove Bride Of Chucky and enjoy Seed Of Chucky but I'm always disappointed the series turned into comedys.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

But I don't think that that's an issue with something like FD2. They're perfectly aware of the seriousness of their situation, that doesn't mean the tone of the film can't be tongue in cheek. It's the deaths themselves that cause the biggest laughs because in the second film they're so brilliantly constructed. That whole scene at the dentist is fantastic because it builds and builds and builds and then nothing happens. Then they blindside you with it.

The characters take it all very seriously but the film doesn't. Appointing some arbitrary 'darkness' into something is as bad as shoehorning in some laughs.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Slasherfan posted:

I guess I just like it when characters seem to take the situation seriously and don't seem in on the joke in the movies.
It's like Child's Play, Ilove Bride Of Chucky and enjoy Seed Of Chucky but I'm always disappointed the series turned into comedys.

Depends on the film. The tone of Nightmare on Elm Street 1 was great, for instance, but by 3/4, it can't hold that tone any more, and works better when you completely run with the premise, as it did. The problem with horror sequels is that you can't really maintain what is initially scary - you then have to explore the premise and attempt to either make it enjoyable or scary in a different way.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Speaking of, the only way I think you can make Final Destination interesting now is if the characters figure poo poo out quickly and try killing eachother in an effort to escape death. Lord knows how it would actually work, but it would add extra tension to the film. Like 'Battle Royale' but with Death getting super pissed off.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

Speaking of, the only way I think you can make Final Destination interesting now is if the characters figure poo poo out quickly and try killing eachother in an effort to escape death. Lord knows how it would actually work, but it would add extra tension to the film. Like 'Battle Royale' but with Death getting super pissed off.

2/4 addressed the "suicide" thing; I'm sure that Death would probably gently caress it up somehow if they attempted to kill each other, too, although that could be quite the amusing film (and I hope they do that).

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Darko posted:

2/4 addressed the "suicide" thing; I'm sure that Death would probably gently caress it up somehow if they attempted to kill each other, too, although that could be quite the amusing film (and I hope they do that).

From the trailer of 5 is looks like they are trying something like that "It's Kill of be killed". Also there is a shot in the trailer of one person and it looks like they are about to push someone in front of a bus.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Final Destination 2 is one of my favorite horror sequels. It had me at the trailer.
It seemed to say, "Remember that post-Scream slasher where people were killed by happenstance after surviving an accident? Consider it a proof of concept. Here's the execution."
And the movie didn't disappoint. The second they killed off the car full of teenage stereotypes, I was sold.

My favorite part was the scene where they figure out that they're all only alive because the freak occurrences that killed the people in the first movie led to each of them narrowly avoiding death themselves.

You get the sense that their big adventure was just an accident of fate resulting from the flight 180 incident. That they all happened to be on that stretch of highway for different reasons when the car pileup occurred raised serious implications about the cosmic nature of what they were up against. That, and the implication that it left Ali Larter's character alone in the nut house only because she couldn't affect the destinies of others. It was just a good extrapolation on the concept- the reason that this was happening was these people not being dead was causing serious problems with the fabric of fate.

3 and 4 didn't really play with it as much. 3 had the Say Cheese and Die thing, and 4 toyed with the reality-bending nature of the premonitions, and topped off with the implication that none of their preceding survival was their own doing, but it felt like they were just piling gimmicks on top of an already pretty stretched premise.

My hope for 5 is that, like 2, the overarching narrative will use the concept as a jumping off point- not just roll with it and try to make it good on the way, but really find something interesting to do with it.

Cubone fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 3, 2011

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

I think I posted this earlier, but I think a couple cool things they could do with the series are either the main character uses their precognition to save other people from death to make death's catch-up list longer and longer to save themselves, or the characters find out they can't die out of order and exploit their invincibility for something. Maybe one of the characters imprisons the others to try and keep them alive so he can't die.

I really like FD2, but I think FD3 is my favorite in the series. I think the tone and deaths were dead on, and the trailers from 5 are reminding me of it a lot. It has to be better than 4 at the very least.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Cubone posted:

My favorite part was the scene where they figure out that they're all only alive because the freak occurrences that killed the people in the first movie led to each of them narrowly avoiding death themselves.

You get the sense that their big adventure was just an accident of fate resulting from the flight 180 incident. That they all happened to be on that stretch of highway for different reasons when the car pileup occurred raised serious implications about the cosmic nature of what they were up against. That, and the implication that it left Ali Larter's character alone in the nut house only because she couldn't affect the destinies of others. It was just a good extrapolation on the concept- the reason that this was happening was these people not being dead was causing serious problems with the fabric of fate.

I think that's what makes 3 and 4 not quite work for me; they have no connection to the first two, the way the second had to the first. It becomes episodic once they take that out, instead of capitalizing on the whole point of a sequel: carrying on the premise. Not having Tony Todd reprise his role took out the connection even further (and doing a brief background voice doesn't count).

I always see these movies anyway because the premise is fun, but I didn't really enjoy the last two much. I would absolutely love the franchise as a whole if each film made a point of mentioning that this whole series is due to some domino/ripple effect resulting from the first one, and now death is coming for the people who were tangentially affected. I don't know why they can't just add a quick little exposition scene in each one. It would make things loads better. Instead we have no context for what's happening. And a guy who gets his guts sucked out his rear end at the bottom of a pool. Just...why?

Bonk fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 5, 2011

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Keep in mind that FD3 has the "Choose Their Fate" DVD extra where you could end the whole film after about 20 minutes by just having them not board the roller coaster in the first place. That alone makes it a pretty great movie.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

lessthankyle posted:

Keep in mind that FD3 has the "Choose Their Fate" DVD extra where you could end the whole film after about 20 minutes by just having them not board the roller coaster in the first place. That alone makes it a pretty great movie.

This is a feature I wish they toyed with a bit more. With Blu ray you can fit so much on the disc they could be tons of alternatives. I guess it's tough to no only film a movie in 3D but film tons of scenes that would just be a DVD extra.
I always thought it would be cool to make a slasher movie where you could change it compleatly, have differnet final girls, different killers, even have a version where no one dies.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I've only seen Final Destination 1 and 2, and watched the death scenes for 3 and 4.

I guess the first movie would be the one whose tone the others should be judged by, which would mean the series is about people being killed in Rube Goldberg-esque deaths that are uncomfortable to watch (and also buses). The second movie, then, wouldn't be as good since it takes the "punch" out of most of the deaths. I enjoyed the second movie a lot more though BECAUSE of that, though. I don't really want to feel that uncomfortable, with slow hanging deaths a wall away from oblivious parents or being cooked alive in tanning beds.

So yeah, 3's deaths are a mixed bag, and 4's deaths are... there's really nothing all that interesting about 4 one way or another. Now looking at the trailer for 5, I think we're back to "uncomfortable" again. Don't really want to watch someone slowly getting a laser burning through their eye, you know?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Scissorfighter posted:

I think a lot of it had to do with effects. 2 had some crazy practical gore (They actually built a dummy full of fake blood and guts to smash under the plate glass) but the fakeness of 4's deaths took out a lot of impact.
Yeah, #4 looked really fake compared to the others. It felt like a made-for-TV movie.
Unfortunately the trailer for the new one has that feeling to it, too. Maybe it'll be better in the actual release, but I suspect I'll do what I did with #4 and wait for it to hit DVD and rent it (unless people post in this thread saying it's a significant step up from the last one).

I can't remember, was Tony Todd in the 4th one? I know he'd been in the first three, so bringing him back (I guess?) is pretty cool. Tony Todd is pretty great.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
OK, the Final Destination 5 posters are kicking all kinds of rear end.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Slasherfan, the guinea pigs on the main screen at Frightfest do those have anything to do with the Japanese Guinea Pig movies?

Salsa McManus fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 5, 2011

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Salsa McManus posted:

Slasherfan, the guinea pigs on the main screen at Frightfest do those have anything to do with the Japanese Guinea Pig movies?

No.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

Slasherfan posted:

No.

Alright, did not think so.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Slasherfan posted:

OK, the Final Destination 5 posters are kicking all kinds of rear end.

I got really confused and thought this was an exploding oil well, which raised my hopes for a There Will Be Blood + Final Destination mashup.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Juanito posted:

I enjoyed Dead Silence. It has some scary and creepy moments.

There is something in that movie that has haunted me since I saw it. I can't forget it, don't worry I won't do spoilers.

I must know what this is. Please tell me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Slasherfan posted:

This is a feature I wish they toyed with a bit more. With Blu ray you can fit so much on the disc they could be tons of alternatives. I guess it's tough to no only film a movie in 3D but film tons of scenes that would just be a DVD extra.
I always thought it would be cool to make a slasher movie where you could change it compleatly, have differnet final girls, different killers, even have a version where no one dies.

That's not a film, it's a video game.