Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Streebs posted:

I thought it was his best book by far. Yes there is a lot of world building and setup but there is a contained storyline and the world building is pretty loving awesome

The stormlight and the soulcasting (even though we don't know much about it) is one of the coolest magic systems I have seen...well, imagined how it would look. I love how the ecology of the world is completely different as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

My theory is that Sanderson wrote WoK after a marathon session of Morrowind.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I finished Mistborn a few days ago, it's a really good series, and he managed to tie up pretty much everything without me feeling it was rushed or forgotten (despite thinking a few times "Jesus will you just get to X already?!)

Starting Way of Kings, can't say I enjoy it as much, but it's definitely something.

Is there a free Mobi or Epub of Warbreaker, or is it just the PDF? Anyone tried the PDF on a kindle?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I just bought all his remaining books (Elentris, Warbreaker and Way of Kings), see you in a week thread.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Casao posted:

I finished Mistborn a few days ago, it's a really good series, and he managed to tie up pretty much everything without me feeling it was rushed or forgotten (despite thinking a few times "Jesus will you just get to X already?!)

Starting Way of Kings, can't say I enjoy it as much, but it's definitely something.

Is there a free Mobi or Epub of Warbreaker, or is it just the PDF? Anyone tried the PDF on a kindle?

You can convert the pdf to kindle format via Calibre. You might get some wonky page breaks and copyright notices (I did) but it's easy to ignore when the price is all of $0.00.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Casao posted:

Theres an HTML version which converts to Mobi or Epub perfectly well. Better than the PDF, at any rate.

EDIT: In fact there's a Word document and .prc here: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/book/Warbreaker/page/20/WARBREAKER-Rights-and-Downloads

I don't know if Kindle's can show .prc, but it'll convert to .epub and .mobi just fine, the Word .doc would a perfect conversion too.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 28, 2011

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Xachariah posted:

Theres an HTML version which converts to Mobi or Epub perfectly well. Better than the PDF, at any rate.

EDIT: In fact there's a Word document and .prc here: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/book/Warbreaker/page/20/WARBREAKER-Rights-and-Downloads

I don't know if Kindle's can show .prc, but it'll convert to .epub and .mobi just fine, the Word .doc would a perfect conversion too.

I was about to say that it's only like 2.99 anyways, but apparently its 7.99 now.

Calibre is great and will automatically convert to the format you need for your device when you click "send to device" - whatever the original format is.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chapter two is up. :clint:

http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/06/the-alloy-of-law-excerpt-2

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

More good stuff. There's one of his standard lackluster attempts at humor in there, though. Oh well, nobody's perfect. I like where the plot is going and the new allomancy details are interesting.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:
Started reading the prologue then forced myself to close it. I'll enjoy it so much more when I can just binge-read it.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Yeah it's hard as hell, but I never read these preview chapters...I have to wait for the book itself.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

A Nice Boy posted:

I'm reading Wok for the first time and I just got to another one of these:

Someone: "You've got quite a mouth on you sometimes."
Shallan: "Only sometimes? Where is it the rest of the time?"

*pounds face into desk*

I could totally see myself making that response to that statement. :colbert:

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Charlz Guybon posted:

*pounds your face into desk*

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Charlz Guybon posted:

Maybe it's Mormon humor. Are you Mormon? You may want to consult a professional for diagnosis.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Charlz Guybon posted:

I would, too, but that's because I'm an annoying git and not out of any mistaken belief that it would actually be funny.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brandon Sanderson's twitter posted:

In other news, I've been reviewing a Mistborn video game proposal, and am impressed. We're going to accept, assuming contracts work.

I can't announce what type of game, what company, or even what platforms yet. Maybe soon. (WoT fans, your games are in development already.)

So who would do this justice and who would screw it up? (Activision)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Assassin's Creed, but I have to say it's a decent basis for a Mistborn game. That said I doubt Ubisoft is going to put their Montreal team on an untested new franchise based on fantasy novels.

In other words I wouldn't expect too much.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Cartoon Man posted:

Ubisoft could probably rock out a Mistborn game pretty well, it'd be like Assassin's Creed with magic

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

treeboy posted:

Ubisoft could probably rock out a Mistborn game pretty well, it'd be like Assassin's Creed with magic

Knowing Ubisoft's usual business practices, it'll use the Just Dance engine :suicide:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

I just started reading the first Mistborn book. This is the first Sanderson book that I've read, and I figured I should give it a shot because I appreciate his podcast. I'm maybe a quarter of the way in, and so far it's engaging and fun, but feels very much like a YA novel. I think the magic system has more depth than the characters or much of the interaction, but I'm actually ok with that for now. The magic system is interesting.

I haven't read any fantasy in a few years, but if this continues to be engaging I'll probably finish the series. It's by no means what I'd consider the best of the genre, but on the other hand it's much better than the worst of the genre. Seems like it might be solid entertainment.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

anachrodragon posted:

I just started reading the first Mistborn book. This is the first Sanderson book that I've read, and I figured I should give it a shot because I appreciate his podcast. I'm maybe a quarter of the way in, and so far it's engaging and fun, but feels very much like a YA novel. I think the magic system has more depth than the characters or much of the interaction, but I'm actually ok with that for now. The magic system is interesting.

I haven't read any fantasy in a few years, but if this continues to be engaging I'll probably finish the series. It's by no means what I'd consider the best of the genre, but on the other hand it's much better than the worst of the genre. Seems like it might be solid entertainment.

Part of Sanderson's shtick, especially with some of his earlier novels, is extremely detailed worlds and magic, but relatively shallow characters - the characters improve somewhat over time, but the plot is really what drives his books. And trust me, the world and characters of mistborn is a LOT more complex and less black and white than it appears at first glance.. :) Sanderson has excellent plot twists.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Heres a video interview with Brandon while he was in Europe. Audio sucks though...

http://fantasy-faction.com/2011/brandon-sanderson-interview

quote:

but it was with the release of ‘Way of Kings’ in 2010, that Brandon really cemented his name in Fantasy. The book, which is one of the longest first installments to a series… ever went on to win a David Gemmell award and became recognised throughout the blogging community as one of the finest Fantasy books of the decade. If we take a walk over to Goodreads.com we can also see that it averages a 4.6/5 from readers… therefore out scoring the likes of Game of Thrones, Wheel of Time and yes… even Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter!

:crossarms:

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Cartoon Man posted:

Heres a video interview with Brandon while he was in Europe. Audio sucks though...

http://fantasy-faction.com/2011/brandon-sanderson-interview

:crossarms:

Hahaha. I loved the book and I love Sanderson, but come on. Finest of the decade?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I finished Hero of Ages the other day. Badass ending.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Quick (?) question about Alloy of Law

The main character can allomantically push metal by burning steel plus he can make himself lighter/heavier with Feruchemy. Can he make himself weigh several times his own weight in order to make his pushings that much more effective?

I recall in Mistborn you had to have an anchor, can he be his own anchor? If so then he (walking around 3/4ths lighter most all the time) has probably saved up a lot of weight and should be able to push like a motherfucker.

OR!

Would his body not be able to withstand such an increased weight? I can't remember if Sazed used pewter at the same time or not when he made himself weigh so much as to crush Koloss?

Chamberk posted:

I finished Hero of Ages the other day. Badass ending.

True story, I cried when it ended.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Affi posted:

I just finished the book a few days ago, and also admit it made me a little teary. Or should I say MISTY? Ho ho.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Affi posted:

The main character can allomantically push metal by burning steel plus he can make himself lighter/heavier with Feruchemy. Can he make himself weigh several times his own weight in order to make his pushings that much more effective?

I recall in Mistborn you had to have an anchor, can he be his own anchor? If so then he (walking around 3/4ths lighter most all the time) has probably saved up a lot of weight and should be able to push like a motherfucker.

OR!

Would his body not be able to withstand such an increased weight? I can't remember if Sazed used pewter at the same time or not when he made himself weigh so much as to crush Koloss?

Sazed was tapping strength to make himself able to move his increased weight. Wax couldn't anchor himself, since there'd be nothing to push off of, but he could push much heavier things while increasing his weight, or use smaller things as anchors if he makes himself weigh less. It's like a newton's 3rd law type thing, where when they push there's an equal and opposite push back, and one thing's gotta move.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Affi posted:

OR!

As I remember it, you can't use yourself as an anchor because the body isn't made of metal, and the metals inside are immune to allomancy. However, making yourself heavier, and burning pewter, would allow someone like Vin to push against something heavier, thereby negating Kelsier's rule "never get into a pushing contest with someone heavier than you."

So yes to your first question, and no to the second...I don't think you can make yourself an anchor unless you were wearing a suit of armor or something.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Why are we spoilering this? He means someone makes themselves extremely heavy so they don't need to push against other metal and get smooshed. They just push one way and they're so heavy they don't move/smoosh.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
HOW DARE YOU RUIN NON PLOT POINTS WHAT THE gently caress MAN

I have no idea why I spoilered it...I guess because the guy before me did. :(

MajesticMonkey
Mar 31, 2011
Another quick question about Alloy of Law.

How come Wax can only use Feruchemy to change his weight (mass?)? That allomantic powers grow weaker over generations was established in the original trilogy, but I dont remember anything about feruchemy being likewise affected. As far as I can recall all the feruchemist(?) could use all of the feruchemy powers....

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MajesticMonkey posted:

Another quick question about Alloy of Law.

How come Wax can only use Feruchemy to change his weight (mass?)? That allomantic powers grow weaker over generations was established in the original trilogy, but I dont remember anything about feruchemy being likewise affected. As far as I can recall all the feruchemist(?) could use all of the feruchemy powers....

If I remember right, the only Feruchemists were from Terris who did a lot to hide that it still existed, and it wouldn't have spread out as much as allomancy did prior to the original books. Once they ended up intermixing with the non-Feruchemists, I guess the same thing happened as did with Allomancy.

MajesticMonkey
Mar 31, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If I remember right, the only Feruchemists were from Terris who did a lot to hide that it still existed, and it wouldn't have spread out as much as allomancy did prior to the original books. Once they ended up intermixing with the non-Feruchemists, I guess the same thing happened as did with Allomancy.

There's one problem with that theory though. Allomancy had a single source the first mistborn ate the god metal that was restorations body or something. And each subsequent generation grew a little bit weaker. The Mistborn of Vin's era were a lot weaker than the Lord Ruler's, even with the noble families trying to breed it into their lineage. But there were no mention of Feruchemy having a single origin, were there? Or that the Lord Ruler's Feruchemy were stronger or more versatile than Sazed's?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

MajesticMonkey posted:

There's one problem with that theory though. Allomancy had a single source the first mistborn ate the god metal that was restorations body or something.

There's another source for Allomancy: The mists caused people to Snap and become Mistings. That's how either the Lord Ruler, pre-Lord-Ruler-ness, or the guy he was supposedly following found the Well of Ascension - whichever one of them it was was a bronze Misting and could sense the pulses from the Well. In other words, being a Mistborn is hereditary (i.e. every Mistborn is descended from the ones who ate the body of Preservation) but not all Mistings are descended from that same source.

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 5, 2011

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
From the Mistborn wiki for what that's worth:

quote:

If a Feruchemist taps an ironmind and steelpulls or ironpushes, then they can increase their weight to become the anchor for the pull, even if an enemy also manipulating the piece of metal weighs more, or the metal weighs more than the user. One could also decrease their weight to gain more movement of your body from each push or pull.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just finished the book. It was good poo poo!

I can't decide wether or not it started out too confusing, too many introductions, too many different people/races/countries thrown at you at once. Very confusing.

Favorite moments;
Shallan painting the weird figures, that was so loving scary and intense.
Her being poisoned was also a very intense moment.

Karadins remaining squad executed because of one mans greed. I felt that was a really well done betrayal. As was Saedas abandoning Kholin.

The reveal at the end was good too, the king being the mastermind.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Somebody asked Brandon about when to expect Stormlight book 2.

Brandon's twitter posted:

I should start writing it by the end of the year, with a best-case release date next fall.

It wouldn't be the first time he released a Stormlight book and a WOT book in the same year...

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Affi posted:

I can't decide wether or not it started out too confusing, too many introductions, too many different people/races/countries thrown at you at once. Very confusing.

I felt this way for a little while, but I really liked how the different story threads connected, and I love each one of them.

It reminded me of some of Harry Turtledove's alternate WW1/WW2 books, where you have a bunch of different characters in different walks of life, all experiencing events from different angles.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chapter 3 is up.
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/07/the-alloy-of-law-chapter-three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Pretty cool how harmony is communing with his worshippers through the use of hematology (good kind though, not the human sacrifice kind)because every Pather has an earring made by the Kandra.

I wonder what exactly the survivorists worship. Probably definitely Kelsier but in what way?

Also the robberies; stealing allomancers is something we recall Ruin doing, maybe this is Marsh creating more Steel Inquisitors?

What is a bendalloy? They never explain I think.