Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
^^^ That is featured.

Here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422683

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Godzilla525 posted:

I just have to deal with the Turnpike now, which in some sections is worse. Since that's NOT maintained by PennDOT, people might have better luck getting compensated for damages.

What is PennDOT always doing out there loving up traffic then? Are they subcontracted by whatever state entity owns the Turnpike? I always thought PennDOT owned it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Wish I still had the photo of when the starter bolt failed on my friend's automatic and I had to wedge the starter in with a pair of wrenches to get the thing rolling back to his place.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

I had to check my PO box today and there was a sick castered-out HHR parked out front

(clickable for bigger, in case the oopsies isn't clear enough)

Not that I care, but hopefully that's just some slipped lugnuts and not something that'll ruin the drop boxes for a day or two till someone gets it towed. Especially towed, since the parking lights were on with no sign of a driver nearby.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The start of the positive camber movement?

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Gorilla Salad posted:

The start of the positive camber movement?
I think you mean the return.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's not an actual 'movement' until cashed up yobbos start doing it to their rusted-out VWs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

I drove a '68 Dodge Charger with a 440 that ripped drivers side motor mounts out with alarming regularity (putting divots into the hood in the process normally). After having the bolt fail in a solid motor mount, I just gave up and used some old logging chain and bolted the drivers side of the engine down front and rear, directly to the frame. Worked like a champ.

This was actually the GM approved recall fix for the same issue on the '67-'72 C10.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Motronic posted:

Some departments use foam on car fires because it will go bad sitting in the tank before we get to blow our loads on a real job.

Yes, I've been a volley in some really sleepy towns.

This is from a few pages back but it reminds me of when the "Art Barn" at my elementary school burned down, and the firefighters decided to use foam...

...and sprayed it onto the building from the side directly opposite the creek, where a population of endangered salmon live.

The stuff floated downstream and the local salmon-based non-profit had dozens of volunteers out for months scooping the stuff out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

What is PennDOT always doing out there loving up traffic then? Are they subcontracted by whatever state entity owns the Turnpike? I always thought PennDOT owned it.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike is owned by the....wait for it...wait for it....Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. They fight with PennDOT like carts and dogs, as PennDOT has been trying to take over or get millions of dollars of highway funding back from PTC. They owe them something like $450 million dollars a year now, and all they get is some lousy maintenance.

The bonds issued to build the turnpike were paid off on schedule and it should be a free road now according to the bill of goods sold back then. Surprise, that's not going to happen.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

The stuff floated downstream and the local salmon-based non-profit had dozens of volunteers out for months scooping the stuff out.

I'm not sure how soap bubbles can last for months.......

I think you're misremembering something here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's not soap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Godholio posted:

It's not soap.

That was sarcasm, but only to a point.

Most firefighting foam is primarily hydrocarbon and fluronated surfactants with some glycol ether to stabilize it and act as a solvent.

Regardless of what kind it is, the foam doesn't last for months.

Yes, I am a fire investigator.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Motronic posted:

The Pennsylvania Turnpike is owned by the....wait for it...wait for it....Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. They fight with PennDOT like carts and dogs, as PennDOT has been trying to take over or get millions of dollars of highway funding back from PTC. They owe them something like $450 million dollars a year now, and all they get is some lousy maintenance.

The bonds issued to build the turnpike were paid off on schedule and it should be a free road now according to the bill of goods sold back then. Surprise, that's not going to happen.

Is this one of those turnpikes owned by a sovereign wealth fund through a bunch of shady companies that Matt Taibbi writes about?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

evobatman posted:

Is this one of those turnpikes owned by a sovereign wealth fund through a bunch of shady companies that Matt Taibbi writes about?

Not yet. They have been trying to sell it off to a private company to raise money for the satecommonwealth budget for a few years though....

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Motronic posted:

I would argue that if the PA turnpike was well-maintained the tolls would be justified. Here in Ohio I'll gladly pay a few dollars to use the Ohio turnpike because they actually do a good job of maintaining it and its 3 lanes from Toledo to Youngstown (minus a few miles in the middle between Ohio route 8 and 480.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

I would argue that if the PA turnpike was well-maintained the tolls would be justified.

I agree with you completely. I'd be happy to pay reasonable tolls. Two problem with that....as you pointed out, it is not well maintained. In addition, the amount of money they raise in tolls is rumored to be well beyond what they would actually need to properly maintain it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
This is a funny discussion because I never felt bad about paying ~$1.25 to get somewhere on the PA Turnpike but since I moved to just south of DC it takes twenty-five loving dollars to drive back to Philly on I-95 (180 miles). I know there's workarounds for some (probably all) of those tolls but I've taken most of them and they universally suck a big fat dick. A special gently caress-you goes out to Delaware on this one, 95 is in Delaware for what, 13 miles? And it costs five bucks? What does it cost to cross PA on the Turnpike now (at least 100 miles longer than my trip), like $18?

:sigh:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure how soap bubbles can last for months.......

I think you're misremembering something here.

I could be; I was little then, so I might've misremembered how much time they (and sometimes I, since my mom works for that organization) spent scooping foam out. I'll check with her to get the actual details.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Splizwarf posted:

This is a funny discussion because I never felt bad about paying ~$1.25 to get somewhere on the PA Turnpike but since I moved to just south of DC it takes twenty-five loving dollars to drive back to Philly on I-95 (180 miles). I know there's workarounds for some (probably all) of those tolls but I've taken most of them and they universally suck a big fat dick. A special gently caress-you goes out to Delaware on this one, 95 is in Delaware for what, 13 miles? And it costs five bucks? What does it cost to cross PA on the Turnpike now (at least 100 miles longer than my trip), like $18?

See this bullshit right here? That red line costs you $2.42. It is less than 200m long.

Approximately 3 people use this per day.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Splizwarf posted:

What does it cost to cross PA on the Turnpike now (at least 100 miles longer than my trip), like $18?

I think its been higher than that for a while. Last time I crossed PA on the turnpike (leaving from Edison, NJ to Ohio) it was something like $21 or so and that was in 2008 (on return trips to Edison I've taken 80 instead, its about the same distance and no tolls and just as boring.)

Just checked the toll calculator...to take 76 from the PA/OH border to the Delaware River Bridge is currently $30+ (even more if you're not using an EZ Pass.)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Puddin posted:

See this bullshit right here? That red line costs you $2.42. It is less than 200m long.

Approximately 3 people use this per day.

2.42? Psh the Verrazano is up to 13 now.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
The turnpike in OH is actually pretty awesome. It only takes a few bucks to keep most of the derps out. And depending on where you're headed it cuts out quite a few miles.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Wiglaf posted:

The turnpike in OH is actually pretty awesome. It only takes a few bucks to keep most of the derps out. And depending on where you're headed it cuts out quite a few miles.

Its been kind of annoying ever since they raised the speed limit to 70 though. I still cruise at 75 and people tailgate me in the middle lane now. And don't even get me started on Michigan drivers...

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

FatCow posted:

2.42? Psh the Verrazano is up to 13 now.

I live in Staten Island and nobody ever wants to visit me :(

RoboCriminal
Sep 21, 2007
Sup
Automotive Insanity > Post Conversations of 70 Year Old Retirees

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RoboCriminal posted:

Automotive Insanity > Post Conversations of 70 Year Old Retirees

In Italy the freeways are quite expensive - but just try to drive virtually any long distance without them and you will understand why. WELL worth the $50 or so to cross northern Italy and save at least 10 hours if you're in a hurry.

Then you get to the Matterhorn tunnel and it's another $50 (round trip), but again, worth it.

BTW - I heard an interesting argument on NPR the other day - someone was bitching about how nowadays passenger trains are never profitable. The perfect comeback was that roads aren't profitable either, but we build them.
:can:
sigh...

edit: also, get off my lawn.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

JD Brickmeister posted:

In Italy the freeways are quite expensive - but just try to drive virtually any long distance without them and you will understand why. WELL worth the $50 or so to cross northern Italy and save at least 10 hours if you're in a hurry.

Then you get to the Matterhorn tunnel and it's another $50 (round trip), but again, worth it.

BTW - I heard an interesting argument on NPR the other day - someone was bitching about how nowadays passenger trains are never profitable. The perfect comeback was that roads aren't profitable either, but we build them.
:can:
sigh...

edit: also, get off my lawn.

Well when you're in control of where the road goes to, they can be profitable. If you're also the tax authority, if you build a new road, and a strip mall springs up on it because the land was cheap, you now have a source of income.

Quite literally it is a SimCity scenario. Pay out the rear end to build a good road, and pray people build along it before the loans come due.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wiglaf posted:

When I leave Miami, I usually take "95 Express," which is two lanes in each direction cordoned off from the rest of the road. Since I don't drive in peak hours, it's basically 25¢ to not have to deal with trucks, merging, or exits and the idiocy they entail.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Geoj posted:

Its been kind of annoying ever since they raised the speed limit to 70 though. I still cruise at 75 and people tailgate me in the middle lane now. And don't even get me started on Michigan drivers...

At least we don't come into your state and drive 5 under the speed limit in the left lane like Ohio drivers do in Michigan.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

At least we don't come into your state and drive 5 under the speed limit in the left lane like Ohio drivers do in Michigan.

Not my fault you've got a bunch of exits and ramps on the left side of the highway. I don't apologize for driving 5 under, either. 17 MPG at 70, 20 MPG at 65. :dealwithit:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

No that's because when I drive through Michigan they look for any reason to pull you over if you have out of state plates like Ohio. I have been pulled over for 5 over when people were passing the cop at 70 (gently caress the UP goddamn so many people where pulled over on my ride through that hell) and I got pulled over for doing the speed limit on the interstate and that time they never even gave me a reason. Hell they said it was cause of our plates and that we weren't speeding!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

You're right, going 5 under the limit is much worse than going 25 over the limit and acting like an entitled asshat when someone doesn't immediately pull over on the shoulder to let you pass.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

To be fair pretty much any car registered in Ohio is a deathtrap. AFAIK its where PA cars go to die when they won't pass inspection...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Try to understand the mentality of your average Michigan driver. When he says "5 under the limit" what he really means is "5 under the 20 over everyone here typically drives." Back when I would go to Michigan for work on a routine basis it wasn't uncommon for me to go 85 in a 70 and get tailgated in the far right lane.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

You're right, going 5 under the limit is much worse than going 25 over the limit and acting like an entitled asshat when someone doesn't immediately pull over on the shoulder to let you pass.

It is actually, in the US most places specify that vehicles in the left lane always yield to faster traffic regardless of the actual speed limits (of course, moving right when it's safe to do so). I've seen police throw on the sirens to clear someone doing 80mph in the left lane so they could go 100. If someone can pass you on the right you shouldn't be in the left lane.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 4, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Muffinpox posted:

If someone can pass you on the right you shouldn't be in the left lane.

Who said anything about sitting in the left lane? Its not uncommon for me to have a car with Michigan plates tailgate the gently caress out of me in the middle or far right lane when I'm already doing 10 over the limit.

Muffinpox posted:

It is actually, in the US most places specify that vehicles in the left lane always yield to faster traffic.

Also, most places in the US also specify that you're supposed to obey posted speed limits. If I'm active passing someone/a line of slower moving traffic in the left lane I'm not going to get over until I'm done passing because someone else thinks that 95 is an acceptable cruising speed and they own the road.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 4, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

Who said anything about sitting in the left lane? Its not uncommon for me to have a car with Michigan plates tailgate the gently caress out of me in the middle or far right lane when I'm already doing 10 over the limit.

The guy you quoted and responded to.

Also tailgating in any lane is just being an enormous dick, no argument.

Geoj posted:

Also, most places in the US also specify that you're supposed to obey posted speed limits. If I'm active passing someone/a line of slower moving traffic in the left lane I'm not going to get over until I'm done passing because someone else thinks that 95 is an acceptable cruising speed and they own the road.

Left lane is yield regardless of speed limits. Anyways, you're doing it right since you're actually passing and moving over when there is room. Someone who isn't passing in the left is in the wrong though, if someones driving like a douche let them go and let the cops deal with it.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 4, 2011

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

People from other states are bad drivers. Just like people of other ethnicities are bad drivers. And other genders. Basically anybody not you is a bad driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Basically anybody not you is a bad driver.

I think we can all agree with this. Those of you who agree are also wrong, because it only applies to me, but at least you're close.