Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I just watched both the EyePhone and Holiday episodes. They're both bad, but the EyePhone was less bad. Maybe. It's a hard call.

I don't like tests with too many choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Perhaps I'm in the minority in that I enjoyed every episode this season and the others, even if some are slightly weaker in places than the norm. :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There was something in every episode to enjoy, don't get me wrong. They were all watchable and had a few funny bits here and there, they're just not memorable to me at all, with the exception of probably two great episodes.

That's just my opinion though, obviously don't expect anyone to agree with me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Martytoof posted:

There was something in every episode to enjoy, don't get me wrong. They were all watchable and had a few funny bits here and there, they're just not memorable to me at all, with the exception of probably two great episodes.

I didn't HATE the eyePhone episode. How can I hate something that gave us "Scruffy turned a reg'lar board inter a divin' board"?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

eyePhone had a couple really amusing parts but the rest of the episode was terrible. And the Holiday epiosde, yikes. That one was just bad from start to finish.

Martytoof posted:

Pretty much this. I've enjoyed most of the new episodes but none of them really stick with me as being great episodes except The Late Philip J. Fry, the one where Fry, Bender and the Professor get stuck in the time machine and go through all the historical periods.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shugojin posted:

I didn't HATE the eyePhone episode. How can I hate something that gave us "Scruffy turned a reg'lar board inter a divin' board"?

So much for a pleasant swim in vomit :getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought the holiday special was funny and the eyePhone one was okay. :ohdear:

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
The eyePhone episode would have been much better without that godawful Mom subplot. For a show that usually has great nerdy humor, that whole "We will transmit this virus once someone has 1,000,000 friends!" bullshit is just insulting dumb. It needed more vomiting and more Bender being great. Eh, on second thought, forget the vomiting.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As I said, I don't dislike the Eyephone episode, and I don't dislike the holiday one either. I thought the Cat one was much worse than either of them (though it wasn't unbearable or anything) and I know most people really like it but my least favorite episode of the half season was easily the evolution one, which is also my least favorite episode in general. Hell I though Garden of Eden one, while not bad per se, was worse than the Eyephone one.

Just for the record the best episode of the season so far is still easily the body swap one followed by the Time Travel.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 2, 2011

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

axleblaze posted:

and I know most people really like it but my least favorite episode of the half season was easily the evolution one, which is also my least favorite episode in general.

I don't want to live on this planet, anymore.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Martytoof posted:

Yet another witty crossover that probably like two people will get!

I get it!

OOOOH!

NOW I get it!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Futurama: "Winter is coming."

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Correct!

no wait, the other thing --

Wrong!

Your music opinion is bad and you should FEEL bad!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I can't hate the eyePhone episode because it gave us this.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I can't hate the eyePhone episode because it gave us this.

This is from a GBS photoshop thread, what does the episode (which is really terrible) have to do with this?

vvvvvvOh. OK.vvvvv

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 3, 2011

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

This is from a GBS photoshop thread, what does the episode (which is really terrible) have to do with this?

That's the exchange between the guy at the mom store and Fry

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

In my eyes all Futurama episodes are equal. :colbert:

EVEN THE MOVIES!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you honestly think the eyephone episode is 'terrible' you have bad taste and should feel bad. Man that one episode that was a parody of Titanic sure was better!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you honestly think the eyephone episode is 'terrible' you have bad taste and should feel bad. Man that one episode that was a parody of Titanic sure was better!

But the Titanic one is good because they waited a while to parody it, so it wasn't anything fresh or new, as opposed to the eyephone one where they waited a while to parody it, so it wasn't anything fresh or new.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Oh how I wish I could believe or understand that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To be completely fair, when the Lucy Liu episode first aired in 2000-something I pretty much wrote it off as "topical guest star" trash too, but in time I came to love it because it integrated her so seamlessly.

Plus it didn't hurt that I haven't heard her name once in like ten years since then, so she doesn't seem like such an obvious celebrity insert.

I really doubt I'll feel the same way about any of these "topical" episodes, but maybe they'll grow on me. Who knows.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

To be completely fair, when the Lucy Liu episode first aired in 2000-something I pretty much wrote it off as "topical guest star" trash too, but in time I came to love it because it integrated her so seamlessly.

Plus it didn't hurt that I haven't heard her name once in like ten years since then, so she doesn't seem like such an obvious celebrity insert.

I really doubt I'll feel the same way about any of these "topical" episodes, but maybe they'll grow on me. Who knows.

I still feel that episode is one of the more dated. I mean the main plot involves a Napster reference. I just don't really care for that episode in the general though. And yes, It has a few good lines, but what episode doesn't?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Titanic episode was better in that it had multiple funny jokes and such.

Also I don't remember a thing about the Holiday Spectacular except thinking it was alright at the time. Maybe I should rewatch it. Honestly though, even if the iPhone episode was funny as hell all the way through but still had the boil thing I'd still consider it a bad episode - I don't know how that got through so many people and ended up in the show. I've never found anyone who liked it, and with good reason.

However the rest of the episode wasn't funny and instead was "every joke that had already been made about the iPhone and Twitter but set in the future". It had some good one-liners, sure, but they all do.

EDIT: hahaha ^^

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

axleblaze posted:

I still feel that episode is one of the more dated. I mean the main plot involves a Napster reference.

Hey, if it worked for The Italian Job.

Oh wait, no it loving didn't.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only bit on Futurama that's been so dated it really bothered me was the Pat Buchanan joke in Future Stock.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

haveblue posted:

The only bit on Futurama that's been so dated it really bothered me was the Pat Buchanan joke in Future Stock.
The "Obamacare" line from the most recent episode is probably not going to age very well either. But everyones praising the glory of that episode!

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Coleman posted:

The "Obamacare" line from the most recent episode is probably not going to age very well either. But everyones praising the glory of that episode!

No I'm pretty sure I posted one page ago about how the most recent episode was poorly written.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Brett824 posted:

No I'm pretty sure I posted one page ago about how the most recent episode was poorly written.
I actually quite liked the episode, and I suppose I didn't mean *everyone*, but a lot of people have been praising it. I dunno, if "topical" is the only reason to dislike an episode then, I guess I'm a bad fan. I didn't hate the eyePhone episode, I didn't hate So I Dated a Robot, or A Flight To Remember.

There are plenty of episodes I like less than others (which I will decline to mention because I know at least one of them is very popular), but it's never due to "oh that joke won't age well."

I mean have you guys never watched South Park? If it weren't for topical humor that show would've been off the air 5 years ago. And most people still accept it for what it is and maintain it's only gotten BETTER with age.

WentWhere
Oct 28, 2006
to the store

Coleman posted:

I mean have you guys never watched South Park? If it weren't for topical humor that show would've been off the air 5 years ago. And most people still accept it for what it is and maintain it's only gotten BETTER with age.

South Park turned its whole premise into parody of pop culture/current events. They can pump episodes out in like two weeks or less, so episodes are a little more "disposable". They're meant to be enjoyed around the time that they're created, and then if they hold up over time that's awesome, but if they don't corporations will still pay for ad time and ad space so who gives a gently caress.

Comedy Central seems to want its other animated shows to be able to follow the same model, but hand-drawn animation takes so much longer to produce that you can't really rely on pop culture references that aren't going to be relevant 6 months after they're written into the show.

Lots of animated shows have been trending toward more parody or character-development driven storylines because with parody you have a preexisting audience and with character-development/multiple-episode based story arcs you build viewer loyalty. This is my own cynical hypothesis as someone who works in the lower levels of television animation.

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Coleman posted:

It already wasn't funny when it aired. It was a great example of how not to do topical references (directly in random one-liners). The ghostbuster reference, on the other hand, was awesome and hilarious.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

The point is, shows add in Topical Humor all the time. Even topical non-humor, serious shows referencing real world events, people, what have you. I just don't get why it's some huge deal if it doesn't hold up 10 years from now.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Even if people don't remember Napter the joke still works because they'll assume it's a random company name and then the sign will break revealing it's actually kidnapster.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
The problem with a lot of topical jokes is that they aren't actually jokes, even though they're played as if they are. Like, Bender screaming "OBAMACARE!!!" is played like a punchline of some sort, but it's not, really. It's just Bender referencing a thing that exists. That's not funny.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

DirtyRobot posted:

The problem with a lot of topical jokes is that they aren't actually jokes, even though they're played as if they are. Like, Bender screaming "OBAMACARE!!!" is played like a punchline of some sort, but it's not, really. It's just Bender referencing a thing that exists. That's not funny.
Actually, it is a joke about how "Obamacare" is a huge bogeyman for conservatives. Whether it's a funny joke or not is up to the viewer; I personally thought it was pretty funny. I was actually surprised by the mixed reactions here to the newest episode, because I thought it was great and easily the best of the three new ones so far.

Also, I recently watched all of the last half-season's episodes except for the holiday one (which I didn't care for at all on the first viewing) and the EyePhone one is the only one I'd say I actually disliked. That's not because it was too topical; it was just kind of obnoxious and not very funny minus a few good lines.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think we can all agree that the Obamacare line is timeless compated to the Kardashian reference in the Bender clone episode. Not only was that a bad, reference that would have been dated a year ago, but it didn't even make any sense. I mean with Obamacare line at least there was a vague joke there (that Obamacare is somehow miraculous, when no matter how you fall politically, I think it can be agreed that it is not). It worked in the ironic sense. On the other hand the Kardashian reference was just senseless and confusing. I liked that episode but that line was inexcusable. It was pointlessly topical.

Topical jokes on Futurama are kind o bad in the first place. Given the setting they're just distracting and rarely funny. They have to at least be funny, rather than just being a reference to a thing. With that joke it was a reference to a thing that didn't even make sense.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 3, 2011

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When I watch old episodes of the Simpsons, I am consistently infuriated that I no longer understand old jokes about President Clinton.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I thought the Obamacare joke was funny because of the absurdity that it would still be on the books in a thousand years, much less remembered.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Vogon Poet posted:

Actually, it is a joke about how "Obamacare" is a huge bogeyman for conservatives. Whether it's a funny joke or not is up to the viewer; I personally thought it was pretty funny. I was actually surprised by the mixed reactions here to the newest episode, because I thought it was great and easily the best of the three new ones so far.
Yeah, I guess that's valid, but stick me in the didn't-think-it-was-that-funny camp.

I actually did really like the most recent episode, that line aside.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Leovinus posted:

President Clinton.

Who? I skipped a lot of ancient egyptian algebra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Misrule
May 5, 2011

Manos del Sino posted:

I thought the Obamacare joke was funny because of the absurdity that it would still be on the books in a thousand years, much less remembered.
But it won't be remembered. So when some poor nerd is watching the episode a thousand years from now, that reference will go right over his head. And he'll wonder why nerds a thousand years before didn't bitch and moan about the topical references and save him from his confusion. But this thread, like Obamacare, will be long forgotten.

THE SCARY DOOR

• Locked thread