Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Oak panels for my center console!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

thetechnoloser posted:

Last weekend: Airaid CAI

Yesterday: 93oct Bama tune. (Duh not pictured).

Completely changes the character of the car. 2012 Mustang V6, with the new 3.7l.

Wow, they sure didn't go out of their way to make that intake manifold look good.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Augmented Dickey posted:

Snazzy!

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Replaced the front brake pads.
Replaced a broken interior door handle.
Replaced a 3.5mm to RCA cable that had a short in it.
Hit the drivers side mirror on a gate and now it's really loose :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Augmented Dickey posted:

Classy!

I drove the TT on Mid-Ohio yesterday and today for the 15th annual AudiFest HPDE. :D

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

rotarybob posted:

Wow, they sure didn't go out of their way to make that intake manifold look good.

Some complain about engine covers, some complaint about functional parts looking ugly. Can't win.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

After several failed attempts, I finally fixed the cracked intake hose on my parent's Celica using silcone sealant.

I took it for a test drive and found that while the bogging was gone, the clutch was slipping. :suicide:

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!
Bolt and washer shift knob.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Found out that my AC system compressor is completely shot. The clutch doesn't spin at all and when I tried to charge the system with dye the compressor lit up under a UV lamp like the bed of a seedy motel room. maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnn.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced the pads and rotors on my brother's Grand Am. Rounded off one of the carrier bracket bolts, but the drat bolt was so soft I was able to hammer a size-smaller socket onto it and still remove it. Bought a new bolt from the local hardware store and was good to go.

His passenger side was metal on metal :(

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Someone in a high clearance(?) SUV(?) opened their door into my new car producing my first real metal dent. I called the store which I think this happened in and the security manager was more than happy to play detective and see if they can pull the plates of the vehicle from security footage.

If they left a note with an apology, I would have probably let it go since its a small dent but now that I have no idea who this person is, they're going to get the full might of State Farm insurance company.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 6, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

If they left a note with an apology, I would have probably let it go since its a small dent but now that I have no idea who this person is, they're going to get the full might of State Farm insurance company.

Yes yes yes.

If someone is polite enough to leave a note for a small ding, I likely wouldn't bother dealing with getting it fixed, especially not as an insurance claim, and thank them for being honest. But if someone dings my door, doesn't leave a note, AND I could find out who they were via security tape? Then hell yes I'm going to track them down and make them pay for it just out of spite for them being a total dick.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Shaocaholica posted:

Someone in a high clearance(?) SUV(?) opened their door into my new car producing my first real metal dent. I called the store which I think this happened in and the security manager was more than happy to play detective and see if they can pull the plates of the vehicle from security footage.

Does anyone know if it counts as a hit-and-run if its in a parking lot? If so you could really stick it to him/her.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Probably not; standard traffic laws don't apply on private property.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bucephalus posted:

Probably not; standard traffic laws don't apply on private property.

If someone backed into your car that was in your driveway, then sped off, it would still count as a hit-and-run.

Traffic laws do not apply on private property, but criminal ones still do :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's awesome that the manager was willing to help. In every parking lot in my city there are signs that read "We are not responsible for damage done to parked cars." And at grocery stores they add the line "by shopping carts."

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Rhyno posted:

That's awesome that the manager was willing to help. In every parking lot in my city there are signs that read "We are not responsible for damage done to parked cars." And at grocery stores they add the line "by shopping carts."

This is different though. Those signs are just saying that the store itself isn't responsible for keeping your car safe. This guy isn't going after the store, he's going after the person that did it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Lightbulb Out posted:

I replaced the rear shocks on my 1991 318i. I'm doing the front one's at a friend's tomorrow.

Let's hope it all stay's together, I'm always paranoid I did something wrong.

No worries, I'm in CR tomorrow. If I see you on the side of the interstate, with one of your wheels on the opposite side of the interstate, I will pass by and surely wave.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Rhyno posted:

In regards to the carts, having a sign that says that doesn't mean they still can't be held responsible. I've seen cases where those didn't hold up in court.

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
Finally got around to changing the differential oil in the Ranger. Unfortunately, I cracked the diff cover while peeling it off, so I just slathered a bunch of rtv on it and slapped it back on. This will have to do until I can find time to source another one. :sigh:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

wav3form posted:

In regards to the carts, having a sign that says that doesn't mean they still can't be held responsible. I've seen cases where those didn't hold up in court.

Pretty much every large retail chain has a fund for paying off customers that take vehicle damage possibly attributable to a rogue shopping cart. It's cheaper than the bad press, especially for local or regional chains.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Billy Tully posted:

Does anyone know if it counts as a hit-and-run if its in a parking lot? If so you could really stick it to him/her.

Hell, they do in Australia. It counts as a road related area. I have investigated hit and runs in carparks before, being the recipient of door dings and keying before, I love getting the victims insurance in touch with the driver, and giving them a fine to boot. Unfortunately its rare we catch them.

In other news today, I;

- Ran amplifier power cable from engine compartment into boot.
- Removed rear seats and parcel shelf cover.
- Removed rear stock 6x9s.
- Ran accessory wire to rear cigarette lighter, just need to splice it in.
- Laid speaker wire from boot to front doors and sealed up floor rails.
- Removed left door skin and removed left stock 6x8 speaker.
- Bolted ground to under rear seat and ran ground into boot.

Tomorrow I can finish the wiring and install Alpine SPX-17PRO splits in the front doors, Pioneer TS-D6902R 6x9s in the parcel shelf and a Kenwood KAC-X4R amp in the boot.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rhyno posted:

Those signs aren't legally binding, they can be responsible and you can get them to pay damages.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

trouser chili posted:

Those signs aren't legally binding, they can be responsible and you can get them to pay damages.

I figured as much but it's a huge pain to fight in Indiana. My Dad's car got hit by a cart train and it took 3 years to get the repair paid for.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I rebuilt the carb on my push mower today... My god, dirt can find its way any where into a small engine. Thank goodness I stocked up on carb cleaner.

Sure its not a big hooptie, but hey, It was my push around the lawn.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I rebuilt the carb on my push mower today... My god, dirt can find its way any where into a small engine. Thank goodness I stocked up on carb cleaner.

Sure its not a big hooptie, but hey, It was my push around the lawn.

We have a thread for it too! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3302145

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

It's hard to show with a picture, but I installed LED turn signal bulbs to go with my LED DRLs today. Pain in the rear end; had to remove the entire splash guard in the wheel well. It's a subtle difference, but to me, they look a lot better than incandescent bulbs.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

illamint posted:

It's hard to show with a picture, but I installed LED turn signal bulbs to go with my LED DRLs today.

Loves me some LEDs.

I did the first oil change on my 2011 Silverado 1500. The oil life computer wasn't warning me yet at 7050 miles, but I didn't have the nerve to push it much longer, even though I've been driving like an old man. 2011 is the first year for Dexos (if you want to keep your warranty); fortunately Mobil 1 was certified not too long ago, so I didn't need to visit the dealer to buy oil.

Also the first test for my new plastic ramps. My old steel ones are too narrow for the pickup tires. Since I change my oil on my gravel driveway, I built some "shoes" for the ramps to distribute the load and prevent them from digging in. Worked pretty well.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Crawled under my dads forester while he was here to look into a "Gas smell". The driver side part of the tank was wet as hell and was dripping nice fresh gas.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

One Day Fish Sale posted:

I have those same ramps :coal:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

trouser chili posted:

Yep, you can't force people to waive liability with a sign. Same thing applies to the sump trucks with "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN WINDSHIELDS." Sorry bub, you still are if your load isn't secured.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Got one door done and shredded my hands reaching up into the dash feeding wires. :(

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I replaced the headlight on my Mazda 6. The manual says you should take it to the dealer to have it replaced.

Projector beam headlights aren't exactly easy to swap bulbs on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

One Day Fish Sale posted:

Also the first test for my new plastic ramps. My old steel ones are too narrow for the pickup tires. Since I change my oil on my gravel driveway, I built some "shoes" for the ramps to distribute the load and prevent them from digging in. Worked pretty well.

That's awesome, I should do something like that as a run-up to my ramps - my MS3's low air dam rubs before my wheels hit the ramp unless I drive onto some plywood first.

Nerobro posted:

I replaced the headlight on my Mazda 6. The manual says you should take it to the dealer to have it replaced.

Projector beam headlights aren't exactly easy to swap bulbs on.

Is it as bad as the HIDs on the 3? Step 1: Remove front bumper.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Finished returning my brother's Focus to stock so he can pass emissions, he had installed a SVT exhaust header/cat and the lack of EGR on the header was making the car throw a lean condition code.

Drove the car 20 miles to complete the emissions monitors, then drove it another 10 to my parents' house. He started the car back up and the CEL came on :smithicide: I'm hoping its his downstream O2 sensor (we had to extend the wires) because I'm out of ideas otherwise. He's getting codes pulled this afternoon.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
What I did today was yell swear words at my car for idling funny and losing power (until I noticed the A/C was still on from defogging my windows in the rain this morning) :ughh:

CornHolio posted:

Replaced the pads and rotors on my brother's Grand Am. Rounded off one of the carrier bracket bolts, but the drat bolt was so soft I was able to hammer a size-smaller socket onto it and still remove it. Bought a new bolt from the local hardware store and was good to go.

His passenger side was metal on metal :(

Isn't replacing something like that with some random poo poo from the hardware store a really bad idea?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

heat posted:

Isn't replacing something like that with some random poo poo from the hardware store a really bad idea?

In general, yes. But likely the worst thing that will happen is a flat (from the brake caliper grinding through your rim as it pivots when you're braking) if one of those falls out or breaks.

I wish I didn't know that.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

heat posted:

What I did today was yell swear words at my car for idling funny and losing power (until I noticed the A/C was still on from defogging my windows in the rain this morning) :ughh:

Uh no. Most hardware stores stock automotive grade hardware. It is definitely not a good idea to grab stuff from the general hardware section though!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Paul Boz_ posted:

Uh no. Most hardware stores stock automotive grade hardware. It is definitely not a good idea to grab stuff from the general hardware section though!

Did you LOOK at the picture?

The key word here is "random", as opposed to finding appropriately sized grade 8 bolts and nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Lets see.

Last Friday:
Rear pads - I thought I had about another 4,000 miles left from eyeballing before I embarked on the trip, but, eh, by the time I got into town I was pre-braking about half a block away and using enough pressure that I could have been driving something that predated ABS and power assist.

Since Tuesday:
Got it up on a lift - assessed undercarriage damage from avoiding a car that swerved into my lane trying to gawk at an elk elk (superficial, just a little bit of rubber worn away beneath. Someone paid for undercoating before I got the car. In the desert. :haw:)

Three oil changes (two different vehicles - one including 10-30w in the manual transmission as designated)

Two coolant flushes (like a dumbtard I guess I accidentally put a little green in the blue system when I wasn't thinking - wasn't brown - was just a top off, but still - duh..)

One call to insurance - some rear end in a top hat backed into me when I was away and gouged my paint down through the plastic bumper cover - and looks like I get to eat it - no footage and under deductable. gently caress you random Montana white car. :dance: