Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Wow, Heaven's Gate? I wonder if it'll be the original 5 1/2 hour version. But I guess they'd have plenty to talk about in the extras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

FitFortDanga posted:

Mailer/Mahler

I hope they are getting Ken Russell's Mahler. I don't believe it has an American release yet. It somehow manages to be really touching at one moment and completely nuts at another and not suffer at all because of it. Easily one of my favorite biographical movies. I think the trailer sums it up pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GC6KnOoPJA

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Wow, Life of Oharu? It'll be great to have that one. Of course I'm excited for the Apu trilogy too.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

That sure is some crazy magic if that's the original resolution of the image.

FitFortDanga posted:

Gorin
The Bridge
Dr. Seuss
Any ideas what these are?

I'd much rather have Celine and Julie than Paris nous Appartient but it's nice to Rivette finally arrive.

I'd be interested in seeing what they do with Heaven's Gate, it's certainly something that could have some very interesting extras/commentaries.

Trial of Joan of Arc is Bresson's best, so that's great news, and L'argent might be the opportunity for me to revisit it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd buy Criterion Spartacus! It's one of the Kubrick movies I don't own.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

bowmore posted:

I'd buy Criterion Spartacus! It's one of the Kubrick movies I don't own.

Do you mean in blu-ray or in general cause you can buy it any time right now.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Blu-Ray

It's a shame that Criterion only ships to North America and Canada and I have to go through Amazon.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That sure is some crazy magic if that's the original resolution of the image.

Confirmed Jim Carey in The Grinch and Mike Myers Cat in the Hat Criterion set.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Dr. Seuss could be a collection of Private Snafu shorts. There's already a few sets out there, though.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Seuss one could be 5000 Fingers of Dr. T. It'd be an unusual kind of pick for them, but not totally unheard of.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I was personally hoping for Criterion editions of those "animated" Dr. Seuss books which are really just still frames of drawings from the books with narration. I'd buy those, actually. :geno:

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

This The Bridge sounds like something Criterion would release.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Green Vulture posted:

This The Bridge sounds like something Criterion would release.

I don't know why I didn't think of that. It's an excellent movie. Great performances by the kids.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If Mahler indicates Ken Russell, that's amazing. I would love to see more of his stuff on Criterion. Imagine being able to just stroll into any barnes and noble and buy Lisztomania.

Slavman
Jun 11, 2011

Something that would make it even better is when they have that fifty percent off sale.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

morestuff posted:

The Dr. Seuss could be a collection of Private Snafu shorts. There's already a few sets out there, though.

Thunderbean just put out a DVD set of the complete shorts, all remastered in 1080p from 35mm: http://www.amazon.com/Private-Snafu-Golden-Classics/dp/B004G6FHCU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1309286392&sr=8-4

He only wrote the scripts to a few of them, though.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Archyduke posted:

If Mahler indicates Ken Russell, that's amazing. I would love to see more of his stuff on Criterion. Imagine being able to just stroll into any barnes and noble and buy Lisztomania.

If Criterion put out either "The Music Lovers" (which just came out on DVD in the UK; the first time it's been on DVD anywhere) or "The Devils", I would die a happy man. I saw both at a retrospective last year in 35mm and they were jaw-dropping on the big screen.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

If Criterion put out either "The Music Lovers" (which just came out on DVD in the UK; the first time it's been on DVD anywhere) or "The Devils", I would die a happy man. I saw both at a retrospective last year in 35mm and they were jaw-dropping on the big screen.

Yeah, I saw that restored print of The Devils last year as well. At the time I was pretty sure we'd have seen a DVD by this point!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
"The Devils" was cancelled a month before it came out on DVD by Warner Bros. It showed up on iTunes last year and was quickly taken down again. For the record, the print that Warner has in circulation is technically uncut (the X-rated US version), but does not include the film's most infamous scene or the extended ending. Note that Ken Russell has a print with all those scenes intact, and has shown it a few times in the UK, but I don't think it's ever seen the light of day in the US.

Cryptic Criterion Notice posted:

Heaven's Gate

Not a big "Heaven's Gate" fan but I'm sure the supplements on it would be well worth the price of admission. If you guys haven't read the book "Final Cut", pick it up ASAP. Probably the definitive making-of book. In fact, I hope Criterion goes back to their protocol of including books with their packages in order to have that nice little tome alongside the movie. I'd love it if they included the long-missing 139-minute cut.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
It's been a while since I've seen a copy, but I remember Final Cut being a pretty massive book. I can't imagine that it would fit inside any sort of regular packaging.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

kaujot posted:

It's been a while since I've seen a copy, but I remember Final Cut being a pretty massive book. I can't imagine that it would fit inside any sort of regular packaging.

Really? I have it on paperback and it's not that big a book at all. Are you sure you're thinking of the same book?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Definitely. It's very likely that my memory is playing tricks on me, though! Amazon has it at 432 pages, but that's sort of in the middle between a small and large book.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

Robert Denby posted:

If you guys haven't read the book "Final Cut", pick it up ASAP. Probably the definitive making-of book. In fact, I hope Criterion goes back to their protocol of including books with their packages in order to have that nice little tome alongside the movie.
Final Cut is definitive in that it was written by someone who was generally on the sidelines during production, thousands of miles away from the actual set, and thus padded out the book with long history lessons on United Artists and brief notes on other UA movies in production at the time, written in the driest manner possible (I don't think Cimino even shows up until a third of the way through the book). Not terrible per se, but the definitive making of on Heaven's Gate has yet to be written.

If you have about 90 minutes to kill, watch the documentary on the movie, also entitled Final Cut. Much more concise and entertaining (and will hopefully show up on the upcoming Criterion).

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
How are the Eclipse sets, generally? I ordered one online today (Late Ozu, he's somebody I've been meaning to get into) and judging by the description, it's doesn't have any extras. Will the rest of it (packaging, picture/sound quality, etc) be close to regular Criterion releases?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

barkingclam posted:

How are the Eclipse sets, generally? I ordered one online today (Late Ozu, he's somebody I've been meaning to get into) and judging by the description, it's doesn't have any extras. Will the rest of it (packaging, picture/sound quality, etc) be close to regular Criterion releases?

Eclipse releases are always without extras (I think a few of them have trailers). They're packaged in clear slim cases with an essay printed on the inside cover. The cases are held together in an O-ring slipcover (i.e., open at both ends, so be careful pulling them off the shelf). Quality varies, but in most cases they're more than acceptable, and likely the best you'll ever see.

One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't check out the magnificent Saura set before it went out of print. Now it goes for about $150 on average. :(

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
I'm also a huge fan of the Eclipse sets, I own about half of them. The idea behind them is that they're barebones releases of films that might otherwise never be released -- or at least not released with as much care as Criterion puts into them.

The Late Ozu set in particular is fantastic and is definitely one of my favourites.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I think the only Eclipse set I've actually seen is the one with the Louis Malle documentaries, and they were all astoundingly good.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I think the only Eclipse set I've actually seen is the one with the Louis Malle documentaries, and they were all astoundingly good.

That's good to hear. I've been really into Malle lately and was considering picking up that set when the next sale comes around.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Seconding the Malle recommendation. Also, look into the Nikkatsu Noir set, the Kaurismaki set, Klein set, Dearden set, Late Ozu, and the Akerman set.

Edit: And the Oshima set. Can't believe I forgot that one.

fix yr hearts fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 4, 2011

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
I second the Nikkatsu Noir set. It's the only Eclipse set I've seen, but all the movies in it were really cool and interesting. Take Aim at the Police Van is a personal favorite from the set.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
The Nikkatsu set's another one I've been looking for. I'm not familiar with most of the directors there, but it's got one by Seijun Suzuki, who's made a couple movies I liked, and I assume the rest of the set is in that vein.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
If you're looking for extras, obviously the Eclipse sets aren't going to satisfy, but as far as video and audio quality, you can get something of an idea from the DVDBeaver reviews, including comparisons with other editions. i linked them all below to be servicey. Of the Eclipse discs i've seen, all were a substantial improvement on any other way i could've watched the movies, so i didn't really have any quality complaints. (The Eclipse sets offer breadth rather than depth.) My favorite of the sets I've encountered is the Lubitsch set, but Lubitsch is always a good bet as far as I'm concerned.

1. Early Bergman
2. The Documentaries of Louis Malle
3. Late Ozu
4. Raymond Bernard
5. The First Films of Samuel Fuller
6. Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy
7. Postwar Kurosawa
8. Lubitsch Musicals
9. The Delirious Fictions of William Klein
10. Silent Ozu
11. Larisa Shepitko
12. Aki Kaurismäki's Proletariat Trilogy
13. Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women
14. Rossellini's History Films: Renaissance and Enlightenment
15. Travels with Hiroshi Shimizu
16. Alexander Korda's Private Lives
17. Nikkatsu Noir
18. Dušan Makavejev: Free Radical
19. Chantal Akerman in the Seventies
20. George Bernard Shaw on Film
21. Oshima's Outlaw Sixties
22. Presenting Sasha Guitry
23. The First Films of Akira Kurosawa
24. The Actuality Dramas of Allan King (no review)
25. Basil Dearden’s London Underground (no review)
26. Silent Naruse (no review)
27. Raffaello Matarazzo's Runaway Melodramas

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
It should be said that the essays included in the Eclipse sets are often really great, as to be expected from Criterion. I don't ever feel gipped with an Eclipse set because of lack of extras.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Silent Naruse is one of the coolest things they've released, in my opinion.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Criterion really needs to send the A-Team to steal the rights for Tarkovsky's films currently held by Kino.

I would do almost anything for a copy of Mirror with remotely accurate subtitles and color grading. Hell, even the 35mm prints are messed up. The subtitles are absolutely, positively unreadable.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Kino has really gotten their act together for their blu-ray releases. The Sacrifice is an excellent edition, as are all their Keatons and their WKWs.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Crackpipe posted:

I would do almost anything for a copy of Mirror with remotely accurate subtitles and color grading. Hell, even the 35mm prints are messed up. The subtitles are absolutely, positively unreadable.

The current Kino subtitles really are amazingly bad, it's like they decided to cut everything that wasn't pertinent to the plot. A typical conversation might go:

"blah blah blah...
[no subtitle]
...blah blah blah"
[Where were you born?]

"blah blah blah...
[no subtitle]
...blah Moscow blah blah blah"
[Moscow]

Impossibly frustrating, particularly since Tarkovsky's dialogue tends to run towards the poetic.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The current Kino subtitles really are amazingly bad, it's like they decided to cut everything that wasn't pertinent to the plot. A typical conversation might go:

"blah blah blah...
[no subtitle]
...blah blah blah"
[Where were you born?]

"blah blah blah...
[no subtitle]
...blah Moscow blah blah blah"
[Moscow]

Impossibly frustrating, particularly since Tarkovsky's dialogue tends to run towards the poetic.

YES! I've been trying to get a Russian-speaking friend to watch it with me just so I can get a better idea of what I'm missing.

The theatrical print is even worse. You get the same abridged dialogue, but everything is in 0.001pt, thin white letters. They're literally half the size of normal subtitles, and each character is about the same width as a sheet of paper. At the end, the credits listed the subtitles as being done in 2000 or 2001. You would think that by the 21st century people had figured out how to make subtitles work. Not the people in charge of the Mirror print.

Side note: White subtitles on B&W footage are always, always, always a terrible idea. I don't give a poo poo if people whine that yellow "doesn't fit". YOU CAN READ IT.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Crackpipe posted:

Side note: White subtitles on B&W footage are always, always, always a terrible idea. I don't give a poo poo if people whine that yellow "doesn't fit". YOU CAN READ IT.

Jesus, yes. This seems to be a huge trend in theatrical prints of almost any foreign film, and they always blur in. I don't understand why, if you really feel that dedicated to white fonts, you wouldn't add a black stroke around them just to make them stand out and be readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
I actually subtitle films for a living and, unfortunately, poo poo tends to get confused at some levels. A studio will usually have the same subcontractor do all the subtitles for a release: that includes closed captioning, placed subtitles, etc. as well as every language they want to include it in. In order to keep things consistent, they come up with a bunch of rules that usually take some things into consideration (which is why subtitles don't usually cover burnt-in text) but the color/look of the film doesn't usually factor. We also usually work with a pretty low-definition file for performance purposes, which means sometimes the person making the subtitles doesn't necessarily notice a huge clash.

I know that in my employer's case, the software doesn't actually allow you to change the color unless the color change corresponds to some sort of rule (i.e. italics are blue)é

That having been said, the subtitling business has come a long way. I've only been at it for a few months but I really notice glaring mistakes in older releases. If those Kino movies are ever re-released, expect to see much better subs!