Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Spotted in a local electronics store:

If only...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

I went from a Blackberry Curve to touch-only Android land and wouldn't look back. Took maybe a week to get back to the same speed.
I'm of the belief that anyone who says they require a QWERTY keyboard on a phone simply hasn't used a halfway decent Android or iPhone handset. If you simply give yourself time to adjust, you will be typing faster in a week or two.
I'm sure the prospect or practice of using S60v5 would scare most users from ever really adopting a touch-only OS, but it makes way more sense when you realize every modern smartphone OS has, y'know, been designed for use with touch, instead of being a poorly-implemented, shoehorned addition.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I know where you're coming from, but I'm now using the Nokia E7 and it's got the best keyboard I've ever used. Is it worth the price they ask for it? Maybe not, but Nokia gave it to me when I started with them. I tried the N97, and the E7 is not nearly so bad.

Posted from my E7.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

sleepwalkers posted:

I'm of the belief that anyone who says they require a QWERTY keyboard on a phone simply hasn't used a halfway decent Android or iPhone handset. If you simply give yourself time to adjust, you will be typing faster in a week or two.
Onscreen keyboard eats display real estate and text prediction doesn't work so well in every language. Especially when writing in my native finnish I often find myself missing my N900, though in every other way I prefer my Nexus S despite Googles localization being just terrible. Give me E7 with any other OS than Symbian and I'd buy it in heartbeat.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Stubb Dogg posted:

Onscreen keyboard eats display real estate and text prediction doesn't work so well in every language. Especially when writing in my native finnish I often find myself missing my N900, though in every other way I prefer my Nexus S despite Googles localization being just terrible. Give me E7 with any other OS than Symbian and I'd buy it in heartbeat.

There are dozens of keyboards, each with their own text prediction engines and dictionaries. And if you're typing on your phone, you're not reading paragraphs so it's not like the screen real estate argument has any real meaning.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm finally using my N82 on 3G. Yeah, I had to fly to Italy to do it, but dammit, there it is. 3.5G even. I'm using it with Joiku Spot to keep my locked iPhone on the up and up.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
I had to switch to a Nokia C3-00 since my HTC Android phone bit the dust. The OP has tons of information for newer phones, but is there anything I can do to improve the C3-00? I'm specifically looking for better a better SMS application, a better email application, and any power user utilities... but any other resources would be appreciated.

The Nokia store is pretty terrible, the search doesn't work very well. I get frustrated trying to find any products that might match my needs.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
The c3 is s40 so you're pretty much restricted to java apps. I found with my x3 that google is a way better app discovery tool than ovi.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Womworld sent me to Nevada for the weekend to meet the cowboy from the Astound commercial. Activities included horseback riding, bbq and getting blackout drunk.

We also dropped tested some phones. 25 foot drop from the 2nd floor of a barn. The Samsung survived.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
N9 press pics leaked. Should be announced later today with more details.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Dr Tran posted:

N9 press pics leaked. Should be announced later today with more details.

It's amazing how few leaks we've had on tomorrow's announcement. Can't confirm/deny how genuine those pics are, of course - I've not even seen the main product being released tomorrow, but what I've heard over the internal network at Nokia sounds pretty exciting.

Nokia's summer party is on Wednesday, so I hope they'll let us have a hands-on.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
Nokia site for N9: http://swipe.nokia.com/

Also qwerty version is now officially N950 but only limited amount will be produced and they'll be sold to developers only.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Haven't really looked around, but there seems to be lots of good info here:
http://www.developer.nokia.com/swipe/ux/

Seems a lot of the media like this thing. Weird.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Tran posted:

Haven't really looked around, but there seems to be lots of good info here:
http://www.developer.nokia.com/swipe/ux/

Seems a lot of the media like this thing. Weird.
Maybe because Apple is Apple and there's 5 new android phones on the market every week. At the very least it's something new from an established company.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
It's nice to see that the N9 has an offline GPS with navigation. It's the one thing that differentiates Nokia phones from iOS and Android devices that rely on assisted GPS.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Septimus posted:

It's nice to see that the N9 has an offline GPS with navigation. It's the one thing that differentiates Nokia phones from iOS and Android devices that rely on assisted GPS.
It takes loving forever to acquire a satellite without network usage though, if the E72 is any indicator .

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Septimus posted:

What? I used my iPhone's GPS in Europe while offline. It worked fine.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Peven Stan posted:

It takes loving forever to acquire a satellite without network usage though, if the E72 is any indicator .

Judging by my experience with the N900, and the Galaxy S (World's shittiest GPS in a phone), this is generally the case. At least for getting a "cold lock".

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I remember when I first got my N95 the GPS was so slow to lock on after turning it on and a later patch added AGPS. The difference was like night and day - locks took a matter of seconds rather than minutes and traces were far smoother.

Depending on your plan, it may not be that expensive to use AGPS abroad as the amount of data involved is miniscule, and only needs refreshing every 12 hours or so.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

HPL posted:

What? I used my iPhone's GPS in Europe while offline. It worked fine.

You're right, there are a few apps for iphone that navigate offline, like the TomTom one.

Does Nokia Maps compare favorably with what you used? Did iphone get a lock quickly?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Septimus posted:

You're right, there are a few apps for iphone that navigate offline, like the TomTom one.

Does Nokia Maps compare favorably with what you used? Did iphone get a lock quickly?
Offline GPS took ages to get a lock on my N82. The iPhone was surprisingly swift by comparison. I was using an Open Street Maps app for navigating around plus there are lots of travel guides like Amsterdam2Go which work great because they have so much info plus mapping all built in and designed to work offline.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 15, 2014

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Slopehead posted:

Nokia seems to makes incredible hardware. I beat the poo poo out of my old XpressMusic candybar and it never failed.

My N8 is covered in dents and scratches, but it still works perfectly and the screen is blemish-free. And my old 5800XM survived a drowning with no ill-effects as well.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Great set of hands on videos of the N9 here

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PL399857D286DC01A8&feature=mh_lolz

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Slopehead posted:

Nokia seems to makes incredible hardware. I beat the poo poo out of my old XpressMusic candybar and it never failed. If this new model is everything the press material shows me, I'll not only jump ship from android but my carrier as well.

Just avoid anything that slides or flips. Nokia never seemed to get the hang of that.

Edit: re GPS without a mobile data connection - most modern smartphones will use wifi positioning to assist a GPS lock so try getting a lock when connected to a wifi network. Should be nearly instantaneous.

dissss fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 23, 2011

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Slopehead posted:

I am really digging the sample quality of the n9's camera. I've noticed that I take a ton of photos with my phone camera and would really enjoy not having the noise/brightness issues I've been having with the G2. I would sacrifice the ecosystem I've adopted with all its perks and faults for access to a device with better chops than this.

You are comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing a well-lit photo in the shade probably shot at a low ISO to an dim indoor photo with much higher contrast probably shot at a higher ISO. Granted, HTC isn't known for the prowess of their camera modules. The issues you are having with noise are common to small-sensor cameras in lower light.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
The only good thing I can say about my N8 is that the pictures turn out quite good

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
Anna update available to various models with in a month or so.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/06/21/symbian-anna-available-starting-july/

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Older S60 devices are getting updates rolled out OTA apparently.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/231383/nokia_upgrades_older_symbian_phones.html

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Slopehead posted:

Both of those photos I took and were outdoors. Even in well lit photos I have noise issues. I can't change the photo size in CM7, nor do I have a brightness bar anymore so that can't be adjusted because Cm's solution to their poo poo being broken is just remove it instead of fix it. Additionally I don't know what this has to do with the fact that base image quality on the n9 is going to be superior due to better hardware, let alone my rather mediocre skill at balancing contrast, saturation, and sharpness in an image before snapping it on a bloody cell phone.

Outdoors yes but the lighting was challenging in both your pictures (but not in the Nokia sample)

Basically you have unrealistic expectations of a phone camera - the N9 is still going to totally suck for types of photos like the two you posted. It WILL be better than the HTC granted but you're still going to have to pay attention to lighting (especially backlighting) to take good pictures.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I'd also like to point out that there are a bazillion other camera apps on the market that give you a better experience than the admittedly poor AOSP camera app that comes with Cyanogenmod.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
What the hell, Nokia is planning to release a S40 dumbphone with a capacitive display, 1GHz processor and 512mb of ram. Is S40 even synonymous with dumbphones anymore?

http://www.gsmarena.com/1ghz_s40based_nokia_c3015_pictures_surface_is_the_first_of_many-news-2902.php

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

My N8 arrived today and you guys are giving me serious buyers remorse.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008

Trickjaw posted:

The N8 is a great phone, camera, and gps device. Web browsing is even pretty good with Opera Mobile. I bought mine for my trips to Europe and after three months with it in Russia, I couldn't be happier with the device.

That said, I don't think I'd use it as my regular phone here in the states. Email isn't handled as nicely as my iPhone and typing with T9 is painful once you're used to qwerty, whether of the E71 or iPhone persuasion. I suppose it all depends on the intent behind choosing the N8 over your other options.

The thing with the 1GHz S40 phone is stupid though. Jesus Christ Nokia, are you trying to make people upset? Why does S40 need that?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Trickjaw posted:

I have it, like it despite a few minor irritating bits, but will continue using it until something seriously better comes out in the future. It's far from perfect but I wouldn't say I regret it.

If they released an app where I could watch Netflix on it, then I'd be happy.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I'm a nerd so, wont be happy until I have a tricorder, but the options available ( Uk here) This was the best, and the E series just didn't do it for me.

Thanks for reassurance, I dont mind the size, but its a pain to set up how I want.

e: and playing with the camera just blinded myself with the flash, there is an imprint of me of the wall behind.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 20, 2011

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Trickjaw posted:

*#0000#

Check the firmware version
If its v20, you should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

*#0000#

Check the firmware version
If its v20, you should be good.