Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
well I guess the dude at the store meant "yeah we play our instore music on a table, so there is one in the store" kinda thing, so I just blindly bought two things that I have no idea what they are, just looked cool

Process -- "Regeneration"

The O Voids -- s/t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Ron Burgundy posted:

No, not the label, the playing surface! I received a crate of records that looked like this.

They were free, but still, radio is a hard life for records.
dear lord, I wouldn't play it at all out of spite

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

This is pretty much why I never got into Queen, I guess I've really only heard the radio songs and sports game poo poo. But then I saw Flash Gordon and decided that I must own the soundtrack to that movie. I've yet to come across a copy, but then again I've been holding off buying any music for a while. I'm guessing it won't be too difficult to find.

Queen II is a work of art. Nothing is similar to what's played on the radio, as the main single, Seven Seas of Rhye is pretty much ignored.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I was killing time in Best Buy and they had an "open item" Stanton T.62 for $90. I now have a turntable for my bedroom.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Admin Understudy posted:

I was killing time in Best Buy and they had an "open item" Stanton T.62 for $90. I now have a turntable for my bedroom.

Some of the Stanton straight-armed systems were really hard on records because the geometry was designed for scratching only. Don't know if this is one of them, though, I seem to remember them being branded STR8.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ron Burgundy posted:

No, not the label, the playing surface! I received a crate of records that looked like this.

They were free, but still, radio is a hard life for records.

What kind of sick degenerate would do a thing like this?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

CPL593H posted:

What are you some kind of fancy-pants music connoisseur? People don't want to hear deep cuts, they just want the same 40 songs played over and over on every station.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

CPL593H posted:

Probably some jackass DJ kept being a loose canon and playing nothing but b sides and 14 minute tracks to take toilet breaks. The program manager had enough.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

What causes skipping/repetition?

I use one of these (inherited from deceased father-in-law) to play records. It generally sounds superb and is one of my most favorite things. However, I've found that the arm (a Shure SME 3009) is extremely picky and prone to needing adjustment after a move. Otherwise it sounds excellent. Lately, I've noticed some of my LP's skip at random times. I've made sure the record is dust/lint free, there's no scratches, and yet some of my records end up skipping or stuck in a particular section and I manually have to correct the arm to continue listening. As expected, this completely kills the mood. It doesn't happen to all the records (the majority of classical vinyl I inherited from him is mostly flawless, particularly the ffrr recordings) but it happens enough to irritate me.

Ideas?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 2, 2011

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Sounds like tracking force, easy adjustment, don't know how its done on your turntable. After any move a turntable probably needs some adjustment, and its a PITA to move one well. Locking the arm, taking off the platter, etc.

Tracking force is basically how the arm and needle stay perfectly in the middle of the groove as opposed to one side or the other. That's a great table and never get rid of it! If tracking's set too far on one side the needle won't go towards the middle of the record, if set not far enough, it'll do the opposite. Read your instructions or download some online?

faustcf
Jun 1, 2004

My beard! I broke my playoff beard!!
I know ebay is a terrible place to buy records but this is just mindblowing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orange-9mm-LP-Driver-Not-Included-Downset-Helmet-/280700971177?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item415b14e8a9

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

faustcf posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orange-9mm-LP-Driver-Not-Included-Downset-Helmet-/280700971177?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item415b14e8a9

I would buy it but because the one done bad reputation of by the reason of it I'm refraining from the bids.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

hatelull posted:

A 125 with a 3009

WOW what a killer setup!

Sounds like tracking force might be a bit too light, add a little weight.

Almost forgot, you really need that weight on the string, I hope it's not missing!

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 2, 2011

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

faustcf posted:

But it's :catdrugs: VERY MEGA RARE!:catdrugs:

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

faustcf posted:

quote:

Special mention : Because it is used goods, I ask by a no objection, a no return.

I do not exhibit the article which a state too has bad.

Because there is individual difference in condition, please understand it.

There is the case that correspondence and shipment are late for for circumstances of the work. When it takes approximately 1 week till I send out an article, there is it.

The one done bad reputation of by the reason of it please refrain from the bids.

Sounds legit!

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Ron Burgundy posted:

WOW what a killer setup!

Sounds like tracking force might be a bit too light, add a little weight.

Almost forgot, you really need that weight on the string, I hope it's not missing!

No, the counterweight on the end of the string is there. I have the original Thorens manual, but not the manual for the 3009. Normally, when the turntable gets seriously out of balance (it's happened before) I take it to a local record store in Houston and they do what's necessary. They never charge me for just adjustment and cleaning, although I usually drop $50-$60 in vinyl when they help me out for free.

Thanks!

For content, picked these up today:

Ornette Coleman - Shape of Jazz to Come
Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner
Other Lives - Tamer Animals

Post-Script I think the rubber mat on this Thorens has warped. Watching an LP play at eye level and there's a decent amount of wave. Can anyone recommend a viable replacement?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 2, 2011

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
You have to register on the site but it's free, but here's every piece of documentation about the 3009.

They also have a forum which is OK, but that library has so much sweet stuff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

You have to register on the site but it's free, but here's every piece of documentation about the 3009.

They also have a forum which is OK, but that library has so much sweet stuff.

Vinyl Engine forums are great because if you ask something, a guy with a moustache and an intense stare will always answer (usually something very useful). Except if you ask something about Technics SL-1200s, in which case the moustache guy will also answer but then you'll get 10 pages of flamewars.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Vinyl Engine forums are great because if you ask something, a guy with a moustache and an intense stare will always answer (usually something very useful). Except if you ask something about Technics SL-1200s, in which case the moustache guy will also answer but then you'll get 10 pages of flamewars.

What the hell's so controversial about 1200s?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

What the hell's so controversial about 1200s?

Old people hate them. EDIT: And people who believe what old people write, of course.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 3, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Old people hate them.

Old people hate everything. gently caress 'em.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
If you can get past the huge amount of awful, awful audiophiles on that forum, there is occasionally some good advice to be had. And yeah don't talk about a 1200 or the rubber band boys will be out in force.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

If you can get past the huge amount of awful, awful audiophiles on that forum, there is occasionally some good advice to be had. And yeah don't talk about a 1200 or the rubber band boys will be out in force.

No no no no the idler wheel is the optimal solution because :pseudo:.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

No no no no the idler wheel is the optimal solution because :pseudo:.

...THORENS 124...

...GARRARD 301...

...ORTOFON SPU...

ad infinitum.

edit: It's bad that I know you're talking about Alec's avatar.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 3, 2011

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I use a 1200 for at-home listening, I feel slight guilt about it like keeping a tiger in captivity

But it's a great table

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

I use a 1200 for at-home listening, I feel slight guilt about it like keeping a tiger in captivity

But it's a great table

At-home listening is what is for designed for so...

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

At-home listening is what is for designed for so...

Authorial intent is irrelevant; furthermore,

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

I get it now. It's because audiophiles think direct drive is worse than the holocaust. "The motor is too close to the media and it produces an audible hum!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

stupid audiophiles posted:

"The motor is too close to the media and it produces an audible hum!"

It's much more intricate than that. And it's always backed by a lot of pseudo-science, engineering misconceptions, and references to writings by idiots who have made a name for themselves in the audiophile world by using a lot of pseudo-science and engineering misconceptions to discredit perfectly good kit.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Guys, How do I get chocolate off my needle?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BigHustle posted:

What a great idea in June.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigHustle posted:

Holy poo poo, that is the worst idea.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Holy poo poo, that is the worst idea.

Especially since we all know that beef-jerky is the best food medium for high quality audio.

Although I guess virgin-chocolate is okay. But only if it is virgin.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Of course, chocolate records are no innovation but in the past (I forget which decade, I'm guessing 1930's) they used to be covered in tin foil, at least. (I read this in the same book from which I learned there used to be chocolate spoons to make giving medicine to children easier.)

CharredBronson
Jan 22, 2004

I've been scouring craigslist for a while, looking for a decent used turntable.

I nearly jumped on a questionable Dual 1019 on a junky plinth, untested, with no cartridge for $100. Then I thought about it a little bit, and realized that I don't care enough to deal with the dumb thing if it breaks on me. I was all aboard the cheap 70s turntable bandwagon, but I think in the long-run, reliability is what would make me happiest.

That lead me to looking at a 1200, because I've used them in the past, they're built like freaking tanks, and parts (that I probably won't need) are easy to come by. My issue is price. Finding one under $400 bucks in decent condition seems to be challenging (in the NYC area at least). I guess demand has gone up since they stopped making them or something.

Then I landed on the ATLP120, which I guess LOOKS like a 1200, but is way cheaper. Not being an audiophile in any sense of the word, and being the type of person that will likely only listen to the odd 7" or special edition only available on vinyl, am I really going to notice much of a difference? I'd just be hooking the thing up to a Pioneer 1018AH-K, which is more of a home theater unit than anything, and have no plans of ever messing with an analog unit.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

CharredBronson posted:

Then I landed on the ATLP120, which I guess LOOKS like a 1200, but is way cheaper. Not being an audiophile in any sense of the word, and being the type of person that will likely only listen to the odd 7" or special edition only available on vinyl, am I really going to notice much of a difference? I'd just be hooking the thing up to a Pioneer 1018AH-K, which is more of a home theater unit than anything, and have no plans of ever messing with an analog unit.

I've got one of these and it works really well all-around. It's sort of like the Squier to the 1200's Fender in that the budget variant works almost as well as the higher-priced original, and you'll only notice its shortcomings if you care way too much about pristine audio quality. It's a really solid option for a manageable price, although it helps if you find yours on the street :whatup:

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

CharredBronson posted:

I have one. It's great and I don't mind having a ripoff of one of the best turntable models ever. Affordable and good.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
This is a question for any Australian's that read this thread: what turntable do you use and is it good?

It's just that most of the turntables mentioned in this thread aren't available here unless you import them and pay extreme shipping fees, then have to worry about converting voltage and all that. I'm interested to know what some good ones are.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Charred Bronson" posted:

It's a pretty good entry level table and if you're just going to use it casually I'd recommend it. I actually own this turntable and I've never had any major complaints. I did however replace the cart it comes with with an AT440MLa. The cart they give you uses some pretty heavy tracking force. But it's totally up to you if that's going to be a problem. A heavier tracking force means more wear and tear on your records. Don't expect it to be the same quality as a genuine Technics 1200, because it's not. But for the price it's probably your best option. Most tables I've seen in the same price range as the ATLP120 are total poo poo.

fozzie dunlop posted:

I've got one of these and it works really well all-around. It's sort of like the Squier to the 1200's Fender in that the budget variant works almost as well as the higher-priced original, and you'll only notice its shortcomings if you care way too much about pristine audio quality. It's a really solid option for a manageable price, although it helps if you find yours on the street :whatup:

That's a good way of putting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

dflanny posted:

Australians: what turntable do you use and is it good?

I'm in Perth and I still recommend a 1200. The good thing is that bedroom DJs would have bought two before they realized they'd never be Tiesto, so there's plenty around.