Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
nobody's taking this metaphor thing to the next stage:

swimgus posted:

That simile is as bad as stepping on a stingray, but the rest of that article was as decent as my mom's apple pie. The purpose of that simile was as misused as a donkey with a spinning wheel. Is it that it was as bad of an idea to send Marge to sensitivity training as it would've been for the Japanese to bomb Pearl Harbor again? Because he could have done a lot better than that abortion of a sentence.

I guess Rick Reilly was as okay as Adlai Stephenson. Presently, though, he's as bad a columnist as a fish is at riding a bicycle.

Rick Reilly used to idolize Jim Murray. Murray was excellent at utilizing metaphors or similes to direct the reader to a point. He once famously said "why say a boxer got beat up when you can say 'he looked like six feet of lumps'?" He also wrote this great article on stars in sports focusing on the word "star;" how they aren't brief flashes of talent, but beacons of long-lasting brilliance; how the fans use those stars to navigate the playing eras; and so on. Wish I could find it.

Reilly likes to use metaphors and similes to make off-beat jokes. Whatever works, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimgus
Oct 24, 2005
Camlin bought me this account because I'm a Jew!
Thanks, you're good at that.

BackInTheUSSR posted:

What's so bad about similes? He overuses them now and they're part of his schtick but in the pieces we linked to they're fine. I think you're getting too angry over nothing.

That Marge Schott story - which I had no idea existed, holy poo poo she was nuts - was well researched, extremely well sourced and had good bookends. That simile about the Rolex convention was really enough to convince you he's worthless? It's a literary device. I don't mean to get all "GET OUT OF YOUR PARENTS BASEMENT, NERD," but a lot of people like their writers to include color in their stories, rather than fact - quote - fact - quote.

I think figurative language is just fine, so long as it's actually used to make some sort of point, but 99.9% of all of Reilly's billions of similes either don't make sense or are incredibly stupid or about teeth or all three. Usually all three.

edit: Fixed the quote.

swimgus fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 6, 2011

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

swimgus posted:

Thanks, you're good at that.

What's so bad about similes? He overuses them now and they're part of his schtick but in the pieces we linked to they're fine. I think you're getting too angry over nothing.

I think figurative language is just fine, so long as it's actually used to make some sort of point, but 99.9% of all of Reilly's billions of similes either don't make sense or are incredibly stupid or about teeth or all three. Usually all three.

Oh, I like(d) Reilly. I haven't read anything by him in a few years (for a reason), but he still came out with decent columns between the "it's no longer about the game" and the "this kid has persevered despite severe injury" columns.

There's nothing wrong with the occasional simile, and sometimes the overuse of simile--W.P. Kinsella wrote a great novel that overused similes to draw a point about symbolism in baseball. But you and I agree, using similes (the weaker of the two) to make a random joke undermines your point.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Not really going to comment on the article, but I sure laughed when I read the title:

http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/derek-jeter-could-show-real-leadership-by-volunteering-to-bat-eighth-or-ninth.html

"Derek Jeter Could Show Real Leadership by Volunteering to Bat Eighth or Ninth"

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
This article was published in Texas Monthly 13 years ago, but I just discovered it and it really, really owns. The level of detail is strong.

unhwillneverwin
Oct 16, 2010

Smashing through the boundaries
Lunacy has found me
Cannot stop the battery!
I don't know how anyone can write this with a straight face.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/columns/story?columnist=marchand_andrew&id=6736177

The reason Jeter has such a high fielding percentage is because he has no range to get to any balls he might make an error on!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

unhwillneverwin posted:

I don't know how anyone can write this with a straight face.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/columns/story?columnist=marchand_andrew&id=6736177

The reason Jeter has such a high fielding percentage is because he has no range to get to any balls he might make an error on!

B-b-b-b-but he's the captain!!!!!!

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

seiferguy posted:

Not really going to comment on the article, but I sure laughed when I read the title:

http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/derek-jeter-could-show-real-leadership-by-volunteering-to-bat-eighth-or-ninth.html

"Derek Jeter Could Show Real Leadership by Volunteering to Bat Eighth or Ninth"

Not even the dumbest article on NESN today http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/is-jason-varitek-a-hall-of-famer.html

The author seems to argue that Yogi, Bench, Fisk played in better offensive eras than Varitek

quote:

Like all other Hall of Fame debates, it's tough to compare Tek to the 13 current Cooperstown backstops. Sure, guys like Johnny Bench, Yogi Berra and Carlton Fisk have better numbers than Varitek, but as we all know -- and have a tough time coping with, when it comes down to the old "should he or shouldn't he" debate -- it's a different game than it was when those legends manned the dish.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

leokitty posted:

Not even the dumbest article on NESN today http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/is-jason-varitek-a-hall-of-famer.html

The author seems to argue that Yogi, Bench, Fisk played in better offensive eras than Varitek

hahaha 63% say yes

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
A local columnist wrote an article where he pretended to ask President Obama random questions about sports. Then he pretended to answer them?

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110705/SPORTS11/107050340/Lopresti-Let-s-hear-White-House-weigh-sports-debate

quote:

Question: As you know, Mr. President, this was the last weekend of Wimbledon. By the end of the fourth round, every American woman was gone -- meaning every Williams sister. The last U.S. man -- Mardy Fish -- was beaten last Wednesday, assuring the drought for American men in Grand Slam events will go to 31 over eight years.

When, sir, can we expect that dry spell to end?

Answer: It didn't happen overnight and it won't end overnight. If you think the housing recession is bad, you should see the men's world rankings. Two Americans in the top 39, or one fewer than Serbia. Spain has 10 in the top 50.

And since Fish is 29 and Andy Roddick is 28, we're not talking young phenoms.

This government is determined to put a man both on Mars and at Centre Court on Sunday at Wimbledon. I'm just not sure which will happen first.

Q: Mr. President, what is your reaction to reports that Charlie Sheen used steroids while filming his Ricky Vaughn role for "Major League?"

A: The way Congress works, I wouldn't be surprised if they subpoenaed Ricky Vaughn to a hearing. I do think this will hurt his Hall of Fame chances.

Q: What did you think of the NBA draft?

A: Did they have it already?

Phew, what a knee slapper. Am I right?

midwat
May 6, 2007

Badfinger posted:

A local columnist wrote an article where he pretended to ask President Obama random questions about sports. Then he pretended to answer them?

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110705/SPORTS11/107050340/Lopresti-Let-s-hear-White-House-weigh-sports-debate

Phew, what a knee slapper. Am I right?

Has the fake interview ever, in the history of the world, been funny?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bob Shabazz posted:

hahaha 63% say yes

Can't wait for the :qq: articles when he gets like 1%

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

midwat posted:

Has the fake interview ever, in the history of the world, been funny?

The Onion

midwat
May 6, 2007

Mornacale posted:

The Onion

Never really seen them do that Q-and-A style that hack columnists use. I guess they could make that format work but, like 99 percent of the time, Q-and-A comes across as "Hey, look at me put words in this famous person's mouth."

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Captain Charisma posted:

Can't wait for the :qq: articles when he gets like 1%

It will be more than 1% because there are a ton of idiots who believe his game calling nonsense

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.
Varitek could turn into Jim Rice 2.0, you never know.

e: I mean the drop off from Rice to Tek is huge don't get me wrong. But with the BBWAA you never know.

Mandoira fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 7, 2011

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Mandoira posted:

Varitek could turn into Jim Rice 2.0, you never know.

The most feared pitch-caller of his generation.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Nerokerubina posted:

The most feared pitch-caller of his generation.
Nothin but heat, right down the middle of 5'8" off the ground...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

leokitty posted:

So good-not-great catcher plays in a harder era than 3 of the greatest of all time, two of which played in the dead ball era. Ok.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

So good-not-great catcher plays in a harder era than 3 of the greatest of all time, two of which played in the dead ball era. Ok.

Im not trying to lend any credence to the Tek to the hall camp, but none of those catchers played in the dead ball era.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
are you on the DL and want to fly to Guatemala to adopt a kid? Too loving bad, according to Steve Rosenbloom. That means you have disrespected the team!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-are-the-cubs-dumber-than-carlos-zambrano-20110707,0,7555893.column

SomeFuckingIdiot posted:

For now, the story is that Zambrano threw a bullpen at Wrigley instead of in Washington because the Cubs didn’t want the big goof to further hurt or strain his back sitting on an airplane. This spasm of lucidity could impact the Cubs’ chances reaching first place in the Frickin' Idiot League.

Now get a load of this: Zambrano plans to fly to Guatemala over the All-Star break to prepare for the adoption of his son. Can you say “utter disrespect,’’ boys and girls?

What’s more, the Cubs have not said they will stop him. Dopes all around, it looks like. Zambrano continues to clown his team the way he clowned his manager with that bat-over-the-knee-episode and the team apparently says, “Thank you, sir, may I have another?’’

I can't even fathom what must be wrong with someone to hold opinions like this.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
How in the hell can you poo poo on a kid's adoption? How is it even possible to be that callous and ignorant? :psyduck:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

SporkOfTruth posted:

How in the hell can you poo poo on a kid's adoption? How is it even possible to be that callous and ignorant? :psyduck:

He should have been dedicating 100% of his time to rehabilitation for the Cubs' sure playoff run.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

But how can he love a child when he has not loved the Cubs? Checkmate.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Cubs franchise is like a small child in many ways so I can see how you would come to that conclusion.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

quote:

NEW YORK -- On the eve of Derek Jeter's return to pursue DJ3K,

gently caress you.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

BackInTheUSSR posted:

gently caress you.

3000 hits is kind of a Big Deal but he is having such an ungodly lovely year that they really should't be hyping it so much...but The Captain, etc.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I believe the big issue is that it was shortened to DJ3K. At least, that's what made me roll my eyes.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Bigass Moth posted:

3000 hits is kind of a Big Deal

It shouldn't be, though.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bigass Moth posted:

3000 hits is kind of a Big Deal but he is having such an ungodly lovely year that they really should't be hyping it so much...but The Captain, etc.

I hate Jeter now as much as the next guy, but...really? They shouldn't hype it up because he's bad now? I can't even begin to count how many things are wrong with that statement. At the very least did you consider that most players are well into their decline by the time they get to 3000 hits? Biggio had been in decline for years (masked by his home park). George Brett had a .397 slugging percentage the year he hit 3000.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Captain Charisma posted:

I hate Jeter now as much as the next guy, but...really? They shouldn't hype it up because he's bad now? I can't even begin to count how many things are wrong with that statement. At the very least did you consider that most players are well into their decline by the time they get to 3000 hits? Biggio had been in decline for years (masked by his home park). George Brett had a .397 slugging percentage the year he hit 3000.

I know but looking back in history there aren't many 3000 hit guys who were in their prime except for maybe Pete Rose and Ty Cobb so it is still a big deal. Especially for a True Yankee.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

Bigass Moth posted:

I know but looking back in history there aren't many 3000 hit guys who were in their prime except for maybe Pete Rose and Ty Cobb so it is still a big deal. Especially for a True Yankee.

God, I hate that last bit.

Player X approaches extremely rare milestone - "He's almost there, good for him :unsmith:"

Yankee approaches extremely rare milestone - "OH MY GOD WE'LL NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT :qq:"

e: i mean, it's true but come on this is a pretty cool thing happening

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

DONT READ THIS POST posted:

Player X approaches extremely rare milestone - "He's almost there, good for him :unsmith:"

Yankee approaches extremely rare milestone - "OH MY GOD WE'LL NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT :qq:"

Honestly, I don't think that's really it. I think it's more "Oh god we are going to have this rammed down our throats for a month." The HBO Documentary is proof of this. I mean, Jeter is a fine player and full credit to him when (if!?) he reaches 3000 hits. But it's not a national event and I don't need live look-ins of every at-bat.

Why didn't anyone make a documentary of Craig Biggio's 3000 hit and as an Astros fan I am totally unbiased in that statement.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Edawg06 posted:

Honestly, I don't think that's really it. I think it's more "Oh god we are going to have this rammed down our throats for a month." The HBO Documentary is proof of this. I mean, Jeter is a fine player and full credit to him when (if!?) he reaches 3000 hits. But it's not a national event and I don't need live look-ins of every at-bat.

Why didn't anyone make a documentary of Craig Biggio's 3000 hit and as an Astros fan I am totally unbiased in that statement.

Cause Derek Jeter has an EDGE.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Because as much as it is aggravating people who watch baseball everyday the audience outside of that small group gives a lot of fucks about Derek Jeter and eats this stuff up. Same as why the Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs/whoever are always on Fox/ESPN/TBS.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

DONT READ THIS POST posted:

There is literally nothing cool or interesting about a boring rear end dude reaching an arbitrary round number of a marginally meaningful counting stat, it's not about gently caress da Yankees because I like the Yankees it's just really not interesting at all.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

A drat FOG posted:

There is literally nothing cool or interesting about a boring rear end dude reaching an arbitrary round number of a marginally meaningful counting stat, it's not about gently caress da Yankees because I like the Yankees it's just really not interesting at all.

There's nothing interesting at all about sports, it's just boring rear end dudes hitting arbitrary round balls

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

A drat FOG posted:

Baseball is futility

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

morestuff posted:

There's nothing interesting at all about sports, it's just boring rear end dudes hitting arbitrary round balls

I don't see your point. DRTP basically accused people of having double standards about 3000 hits, I'm just saying in my opinion 3000 hits is a pretty dumb thing in general and the icing on the cake is that Jeter is a boring guy who I don't care about. The complaint was silly, especially since you can't compare the media coverage of "player X" to the media coverage of Derek Jeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

A drat FOG posted:

I don't see your point. DRTP basically accused people of having double standards about 3000 hits, I'm just saying in my opinion 3000 hits is a pretty dumb thing in general and the icing on the cake is that Jeter is a boring guy who I don't care about. The complaint was silly, especially since you can't compare the media coverage of "player X" to the media coverage of Derek Jeter.

First, I read your original comment as mainly a response to him saying that "a cool thing is happening."

Second, what is OK to get excited about? It's fine to not care about it personally, but saying there's "literally nothing cool or interesting" about Jeter's accomplishment just sounds like you're being jaded for no reason.

In the grand scheme of things, Jeter hitting 3000 doesn't really mean anything. But someone getting excited about an arbitrary number does make some sense, as it's more or less all that sports is about.