Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Flatscan posted:

I'm the one that said "grow up" to Rapey Joe Stalin in response to his sperg-out about not getting characters names right.
Oops, I c&p'd the wrong post :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Cerv posted:

Fair enough.

I wasn't going to say anything, but since other people have opened the sexism can of worms...
ChuckDHead - why did you list the three male characters but not Maxine?

Oh for gently caress's sake, I knew this was going to come up again. Thanks for singling me out on this, really.

Essentially, I went into the show thinking of the three guys as in the first advert for the show as the main characters. She wasn't in that. End of loving story.

But hey, I'm probably a privileged misogynist and in my desire to marginalise women, somehow blanked her out of my memory.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 5, 2011

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

ChuckDHead posted:

But hey, I'm probably a privileged misogynist

Yeah probably.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Boy, you all really must have enjoyed that programme about the inherent misogyny in modern society last night, what channel was it on?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

goatface posted:

Boy, you all really must have enjoyed that programme about the inherent misogyny in modern society last night, what channel was it on?

If you weren't looking through your male gaze and privilege, you'd have realised that it was on every patriarchy-owned channel all the time :colbert:

Seriously though, the above post was probably an overreaction (unless Cerv really was calling me out). I genuinely do have an interest in issues of marginalisation in media, and actually studied it back at uni for a time. I was also an active poster in the Games subforum minority issues thread. However, there are times when I would just like to talk about a drat TV show without being reminded that I am essentially evil.

Tardstar posted:

Yeah probably.

This coming from ths guy who posted this:

Tardstar posted:

Fatty, dorky, Lt Mctits, angry black man, bad commander, Lt. Bland Jesusfinder, Chloe, Asian Chloe, Other asian Chloe, A lesbian, Beefy lucian alliance man and Rush.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 5, 2011

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

goatface posted:

All of them.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Ah summer, when nothing is on TV and TV fans don't know what to do.

(watch DVDs, stop this)

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

incredible bear posted:

Ah summer, when nothing is on TV and TV fans don't know what to do.

(watch DVDs, stop this)

Luther is on tonight, don't forget. And there's that thing on BBC2 Scotland tonight about Scottish bands at SXSW, that looks to be pretty interesting, at least worth a watch on iPlayer at some point.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The Hour on BBC looks good. That should be starting soon. It has McNulty SORRY DOMINIC WEST and the super-sexy-made-me-watch-Emma-in-2008 Romola Garai in it.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Hey guys lets all talk about an American TV and sexism etc in [UK] The Great British programme discussion.

Please shut the gently caress up already and let us talk about how good Luther is.

Anyone have any idea when the next IT Crowd will be showing? I'm hurting for some good weekly TV at the moment.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The best thing is, no one even referred to any female characters using the wrong name, let alone an offensive one.

Edit: Did anyone else tune in to the paper review on Sky News for a laugh last night? They couldn't wait to move on from the broadsheets and start talking about sandwiches, cheryl cole and poo poo.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 5, 2011

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

ChuckDHead posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, I knew this was going to come up again. Thanks for singling me out on this, really.

Essentially, I went into the show thinking of the three guys as in the first advert for the show as the main characters. She wasn't in that. End of loving story.

But hey, I'm probably a privileged misogynist and in my desire to marginalise women, somehow blanked her out of my memory.

Haven't actually seen any of the TV ads. That's interesting though, because all the other promotional material (website, promo photos) show the four, and the programme's structured about the four of them.
Makes you wonder if the TV ad is a gently caress up, or a deliberate sexist ploy because they don't think people will respond as well to women in comedy.

stevey666 posted:

Please shut the gently caress up already
no

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
God this is one stupid debate/discussion.

In regards to Luther, do you need to watch the first series to understand the second? I am thinking of watching the second series now but I haven't seen the first. Does it really matter?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

You'll be ok since all the characters are reintroduced in ep 1.
But it will spoiler the exciting build up towards the end of series 1, which might be a shame.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Christ these baddies MURDER TWINS on Luther are creepy. They always get really good villain actors on this show.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Cerv posted:

Haven't actually seen any of the TV ads. That's interesting though, because all the other promotional material (website, promo photos) show the four, and the programme's structured about the four of them.
Makes you wonder if the TV ad is a gently caress up, or a deliberate sexist ploy because they don't think people will respond as well to women in comedy.

This trailer was the entirety of my exposure to Sirens prior to seeing it last night. Well, that and the "that was a bit crap" comments about it in here after the first episode.

I'm done with the subject though, since nobody here seems to want this thread getting massively derailed over this.

Also: Angry Boys tonight.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 5, 2011

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

MURDER TWINS

God loving drat what a ludicrous show.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

Mr. Squishy posted:

God loving drat what a ludicrous show.

Sorry let me try again ROLE PLAYING GAME NERD INTERNET TROLL MURDER TWINS

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Anyone else find it incredibly amusing when that American researcher guy on Planet of the Apemen refers to neolithic axes and spears as 'weapons systems'?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

Sorry let me try again ROLE PLAYING GAME NERD INTERNET TROLL MURDER TWINS
I'll never think of grinding mobs for XP the same way again.

Demented, ludicrous, brilliant. Oh, Luther :allears:

I also loved the 'use' of Alice this episode, Pam Ferris just didn't know what the gently caress.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Not enough Paul McGann this series. Didn't like how they left the DS Grey story just hanging there.

Was still awesome though.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I thought it was pretty good. Would have liked more hammering though.

New Vic and Bob thing sponsored by Fosters comedy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fguFfc5y3mo

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

justcola posted:

New Vic and Bob thing sponsored by Fosters comedy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fguFfc5y3mo

That free running one is great. Not sure about the other one, I laughed, but I felt kind of bad as I'm not sure if it's racist or not, and I don't want to be branded a racist and/or a misogynist lest this thread be derailed once again.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Luther was pretty good, don't want to be a dick but I miss the first series. People like Vorenus' wife, that one Doctor and Jewel Diamond. Stringer Bell owns still but everyone else sucks apart from the villains and that Kamp from Octopussy.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Wafflecop posted:

Luther was pretty good, don't want to be a dick but I miss the first series. People like Vorenus' wife, that one Doctor and Jewel Diamond. Stringer Bell owns still but everyone else sucks apart from the villains and that Kamp from Octopussy.

I'm convinced Ma Larkin will be back next season, she's too big an actress to get that small an appearance over the two episodes. I really enjoyed this run and four episodes was far too short. There are things to nitpick of course but compared to most of the shite on telly atm this is well worth putting up with the little bits for the sheer entertainment of the storyline. I like they left a lot of things open, gives more hope to the viewer they will be back. Alice is *somewhere* around and at worst case they can use Alice finally going completely bonkers as the wrap up storyline when Elba has had enough of Luther.

As someone who plays MMOs and other games, I couldn't help laughing like a loon at "grinding mobs."

Elba has said he is up for a third season, he'd really like a Torchwood style five day event format but considering how much film work he is getting (filming Ridley Scotts Alien prequel atm for example) it might be a while :argh:

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

Fazana posted:

Elba has said he is up for a third season, he'd really like a Torchwood style five day event format but considering how much film work he is getting (filming Ridley Scotts Alien prequel atm for example) it might be a while :argh:

Wait, what? I did not know he was involved in that. This is the best news I've heard all day.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

justcola posted:

Meh, my mates made a funnier video about free running back in 2006 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVZOkWiGGw

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
So did anybody else watch Waterloo Road? I've gone from taking the piss to just enjoying it. Today there was unplanned industrial action against the horrible slimey Tory bloke from the LEA. Great stuff.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Newsnight is pretty drat good right now, focusing on the crazed inhumans running News International.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah? It was horribly toothless last night.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've got newsnight on, but I'm getting slightly weird out by the guy discussing the child abuse images.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The Irish Interpol guy seemed way too upbeat and enthusiastic about what he was showing the reporter.

Look at this one!

Now check this poo poo out eh, eh, what do you think of *that* !

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

The Supreme Court posted:

Newsnight is pretty drat good right now, focusing on the crazed inhumans running News International.

Did i hallucinate or was that John Prescott sitting in Paxman's seat during the intro? I don't remember seeing him on it again before it cut to newsnight scotland.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I like Sirens. gently caress you guys.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

thehustler posted:

I like Sirens. gently caress you guys.

No, gently caress you.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Sion posted:

No, gently caress you.

OK fine.

I dunno, it seems harmless enough, with quite a few properly laugh-out-loud moments. I agree some of the characters need to be fleshed out a bit more, but I'm treating it as 40odd minutes of fun, I'm not analysing it to a massive extent.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I don't like Sirens purely because Rhys Thomas is and always will be Gary Bellamy to me.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
So Question Time is going to be hopelessly out of date tonight already? Haha

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Leyburn posted:

So Question Time is going to be hopelessly out of date tonight already? Haha

It's a good day for British journalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Remember, do NOT watch The Killing.