Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'm having a difficult time understanding what the 6120 series boxes actually do that isn't covered by other Nexus product. Is it just the embedded manager?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

jwh posted:

I'm having a difficult time understanding what the 6120 series boxes actually do that isn't covered by other Nexus product. Is it just the embedded manager?

That's all I've gotten from my team who've been trying to sell us on Nexus. Embedded manager, and I guess moving your FC stuff down to the agg switches instead of plugging it all into distribution.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

jwh posted:

The Nexus 6120 is their converged networking switch (data and storage over one cable). We are migrating to the UCS platform over the next few months. I will be getting rid of 80% of our cables, FC switches, Nexus 5020's, and all attached FEX's. Of course, we get to do that because we're 95% virtualized and our whole environment will be UCS boxes...

I'll let you know how this pans out in reality.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

routenull0 posted:

Yeah I heard that there are many quality of life changes in the NX-OS and IOS-XR line. I believe one of them has already started the "commit 10" idea that Juniper uses to rollback the configuration in a set number of minutes instead of the ole trusty "reload in 10" :) I thought they were pushing IOS-XR to the 7600 line? Did that change? After I deployed a bunch of 7600s at my old ISP job, that was the rumor.

My knowledge of NX-OS barely extends beyond knowing it exists, but XR has a "commit confirmed [<#sec>|minutes <#min>]" command where you can commit the configuration changes for anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes - at any time during that, you can do a regular "commit" to make things permanent.

I can't conclusively say it's not true and I'm no expert on the 7600 platform, but I haven't heard any indications of an XR release for it. If it did happen it would almost certainly work like the 12000, where many older/lower-end modules are unsupported because they don't have the proper architecture to run XR - you can't very well use a distributed operating system that runs on all linecards if some of your linecards are little more than switching ASICs tied to ports.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
"Software version is so extracting the whole bundle" Mentioned something about microcode?

WTF does this mean and why is my 3750's CPU maxing out?

One of my co workers rolled out IPservices 122-58.SE1 as a bug fix last night and only one stack is having issues. Sadly, this is our master stack for this office. Other stacks on the floor for different departments are running fine.

The only difference between master stack and the others is that the master stack is an older 3750. Co worker had to delete the old iOS out of flash before he could upload 122-58.SE1. Did so, reloaded. Had no issues until we had some departments running backups this morning. That's when we saw the CPU freaking out.

CPU did not spike until 6am this morning. IP Input was causing the issue at %67 alone.

EDIT

NVM

Thinking that maybe that iOS was corrupted when transferring via TFTP.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 8, 2011

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Thinking that maybe that iOS was corrupted when transferring via TFTP.
This is most certainly not the case, as before IOS loads and the device boots it will do a checksum on the image, and crash to rommon if the embedded checksum doesn't match the computed checksum.

IP Input means that many packets are being process switched instead of fast switched. You should check the log file, also check the CEF is enabled, and that all the interfaces came up as expected, trunking, duplex, etc. It's always important to verify before and after when you do code upgrades.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

This is most certainly not the case, as before IOS loads and the device boots it will do a checksum on the image, and crash to rommon if the embedded checksum doesn't match the computed checksum.

IP Input means that many packets are being process switched instead of fast switched. You should check the log file, also check the CEF is enabled, and that all the interfaces came up as expected, trunking, duplex, etc. It's always important to verify before and after when you do code upgrades.

All that came back solid. Trunks came up, interfaces came up, etc. No errors on duplex mismatches. There's a point in the reload where it's unpacking ucode/Microcode or something, and it hung there for maybe 10 minutes before it resumed loading. IP cef is on according to summary.

CPU is running dandy right now. However, if our PC support guys run a backup the CPU spikes to 99% every time.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 8, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Also getting this error.

front_end/ (directory)
extracting front_end/fe_type_1 (34760 bytes)
extracting front_end/fe_type_2 (78520 bytes)
extracting front_end/fe_type_3 (78520 bytes)
extracting front_end/fe_type_4 (78520 bytes)
extracting front_end/front_end_ucode_info (172 bytes)
extracting ucode_info (76 bytes)

% Error: unable to microcode file from: flash:/microcode_update/front_end/fe_type_2
% Error: to: flash:/front_end_ucode_cache/ucode.1

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Also getting this error.

front_end/ (directory)
extracting front_end/fe_type_1 (34760 bytes)
extracting front_end/fe_type_2 (78520 bytes)
extracting front_end/fe_type_3 (78520 bytes)
extracting front_end/fe_type_4 (78520 bytes)
extracting front_end/front_end_ucode_info (172 bytes)
extracting ucode_info (76 bytes)

% Error: unable to microcode file from: flash:/microcode_update/front_end/fe_type_2
% Error: to: flash:/front_end_ucode_cache/ucode.1

Open a TAC case. This switch has Fast Ethernet ports? The error is IOS trying to patch the microcode that runs on the NIC controller, and failing.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Tremblay posted:

Open a TAC case. This switch has Fast Ethernet ports? The error is IOS trying to patch the microcode that runs on the NIC controller, and failing.

Think the Switch has some memory errors. loving thing completely poo poo the bed on me just now.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Anyone else going to be at Cisco Live next week?

elite burrito
May 9, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

As far as roll-backs and commits...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up_62oY7B_s
;)

If they implemented roll-backs and commits wouldn't you have less incentive to buy CiscoWorks?

Kind of silly, but maybe the reality of the situation.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

elite burrito posted:

If they implemented roll-backs and commits wouldn't you have less incentive to buy CiscoWorks?

Not really, Ciscoworks cant save you as a commit / rollback would be able to.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Think the Switch has some memory errors. loving thing completely poo poo the bed on me just now.

Maybe it's haunted by evil spirits. Sprinkle some holy water on it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Does anyone actually use Ciscoworks?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Tried to roll back to ipservicesk9 53. TFTP'd it. Boot statement. Reload. ROMMON. Boot statement still pointed to 53, but the flash was completely empty.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008
Anyone ever get a Windows 2008 NPS Radius server to authenticate PEAP for a 2100 WLAN controller? I feel like I'm just running around in circles on this.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Tried to roll back to ipservicesk9 53. TFTP'd it. Boot statement. Reload. ROMMON. Boot statement still pointed to 53, but the flash was completely empty.

You didn't verify the ios before you reloaded? Welp.

Anyway I'd suggest you just RMA the switch, memory issues and unexpected microcode upgrade failures = just dump it on to TAC.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Harry Totterbottom posted:

Anyone ever get a Windows 2008 NPS Radius server to authenticate PEAP for a 2100 WLAN controller? I feel like I'm just running around in circles on this.

What isn't working?

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

jwh posted:

What isn't working?

Clients are unable to authenticate onto the wireless network. The WLAN controller is able to use Radius to authenticate ssh login without a problem.

It looks like it might be on the NPS side, I'm continuing to get "An error occurred during the Network Policy Server use of the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP). Check EAP log files for EAP errors."

It is grabbing the Connection Request Policy, but the Network Policy Name is blank. It is reading the Authentication type as PEAP, but it's still firing off reason code 23. Everything that I've found so far has either been generic or abandoned.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Is NPS configured to respond appropriately to PEAP?

I know in ACS, you have to more or less explicitly define the EAP types that authentication server will support.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

jwh posted:

Is NPS configured to respond appropriately to PEAP?

I know in ACS, you have to more or less explicitly define the EAP types that authentication server will support.

Yes, It's setup for Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP). It is setup to do EAP || CHAP || MS-CHAPv1 for the authentication method as well. I've tried it with and without alternative authentication methods as well as adding and removing various PEAP authentication options (EAP-MSCHAP v2 && Smart Card or other certificates).

I was able to get wireless authentication working fine with an ACS, but the price was too high even for the vm appliance version to bring into production.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

You didn't verify the ios before you reloaded? Welp.

Anyway I'd suggest you just RMA the switch, memory issues and unexpected microcode upgrade failures = just dump it on to TAC.

Yes, it was verified that it was there.

TAC's going through the show tech now. What they've found that's strange is that, according to them, the flash file structure looks like we decompressed a .tar image for the install.

We've only used .bin for as long as I've been here.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

Does anyone actually use Ciscoworks?
For inventory management? Yep. For everything else it does? Nope.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Clients are unable to authenticate onto the wireless network. The WLAN controller is able to use Radius to authenticate ssh login without a problem.

Check the server certificate in the EAP settings on the NPS.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

TAC's going through the show tech now. What they've found that's strange is that, according to them, the flash file structure looks like we decompressed a .tar image for the install.

Would you mind sending me the TAC SRN? Really curious about this one.

ior fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 11, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
eMail?

Gonna do a WebX install so they can watch for themselves. They said the !oo! I was seeing also was a symptom of memory issues.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

ior posted:

Check the server certificate in the EAP settings on the NPS.

Thanks man this put me on the right track. I had been using the main CA cert on the NPS box and flipped it over to a PEAP issued one I had setup, made some changes to the SSID settings on my laptop and it looks like it's working.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

eMail?

Gonna do a WebX install so they can watch for themselves. They said the !oo! I was seeing also was a symptom of memory issues.

daniel@fnutt.net

Thanks man this put me on the right track. I had been using the main CA cert on the NPS box and flipped it over to a PEAP issued one I had setup, made some changes to the SSID settings on my laptop and it looks like it's working.

Great :) Trying to interpret the NPS logs is hell on earth.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
I am almost half way through the CBT Nuggets for CCNA: Security and I am a bit unimpressed by its difficulty. Perhaps its because I already knew more about ACL's and VPN connections then the CCNA taught, but a lot of this stuff seems straight forward. Hopefully it will be a quick and easy test.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008
Any recommendations on QoS testing software? I need to check the jitter on a P2P Wireless connection to determine if it's feasible to run VOIP traffic over it. Bandwidth wise things look great in iperf, buf I just want to verify that this is going to work right before relocating everything from the main office to the Data Center.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Any recommendations on QoS testing software? I need to check the jitter on a P2P Wireless connection to determine if it's feasible to run VOIP traffic over it. Bandwidth wise things look great in iperf, buf I just want to verify that this is going to work right before relocating everything from the main office to the Data Center.

Ixia IxChariot is totally awesome and really expensive.
On the cheap side:
ip sla (in IOS)
Qcheck http://www.ixchariot.com/products/datasheets/qcheck.html

workape
Jul 23, 2002

IP SLA is an easy way to do it. Have you built your QoS policies or are you just going to send traffic across the link without a policy?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I used to like the Viola networks NetAlly agents, but they've since been bought by Fluke, and I'm not sure what happened to the software.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
When talking VPN's, what type of VPN's are out there? I know of the following:

Frame Relay
IPSec

....That's it. What other ones am I forgetting?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
There's MPLS Layer 2 and 3 VPNs, I believe.

On an unrelated note...

code:
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:CRS-H#sh ipv4 int br | i Hundred
Wed Jul 13 12:19:45.884 EDT
HundredGigE0/4/0/0             unassigned      Up                    Up
Not sure what we're going to use this for exactly, but it's neat to see.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Bardlebee posted:

When talking VPN's, what type of VPN's are out there? I know of the following:

Frame Relay
IPSec

....That's it. What other ones am I forgetting?

SSL
MPLS
EVN

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
So helpin out some guys transport side with some Cisco stuff. They want to do some testings with their DACs via serial.

So... they need a 2550. Got it setup, copied over the config they wanted, setup the IPs they wanted. Can't telnet into it. No CDP neigh either but this is an old switch so may not support it. Can ping across just fine. 2550 just kills any telnet session that gets opened.

It does not have a dedicated eth int. Has some kind of module plugged into a port labeled AUI (_NOT_ AUX). There's a Serial 0 and Serial 1. Serial 1 has something in it. It has a standard RJ45 Console and AUX jack. There's a third Serial like interface but I do not recall what it was labeled, I just know it's not serial or AUX.

Here's how my virtual lines are provisioned.

line con 0
transport input telnet
line 1 16
no exec
no exec-banner
exec-timeout 0 0
no vacant-message
transport input all
stopbits 1
flowcontrol software
line aux 0
no exec
no exec-banner
password 7 135445415F5952
transport input telnet
line vty 0
no exec
no exec-banner
exec-timeout 0 0
password 7 08701E1D5D4C53
login
transport preferred telnet
line vty 1 3
no exec
no exec-banner
exec-timeout 0 0
password 7 08701E1D5D4C53
login
transport input telnet
line vty 4
exec-timeout 0 0
password 7 040A59555B741A
login
transport input telnet
line vty 5 15
password 7 040A59555B741A
login

Just got a junky password in there at the moment. Regardless, no idea what's killing the connection.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Please paste a full sanitized config

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

is transport input telnet even valid on a console line? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Current configuration: