Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Of course, chocolate records are no innovation but in the past (I forget which decade, I'm guessing 1930's) they used to be covered in tin foil, at least. (I read this in the same book from which I learned there used to be chocolate spoons to make giving medicine to children easier.)

You're thinking of the Stollwerck Phonograph from 1903.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharredBronson
Jan 22, 2004

Ended up jumping on one last night, grabbed a shure m97xe to go with it. 5 grams on the stylus seems a little ridiculous. I've read of some people having success with dialing it down to 2, but I'd rather have a proper hifi cart anyway.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CharredBronson posted:

Ended up jumping on one last night, grabbed a shure m97xe to go with it. 5 grams on the stylus seems a little ridiculous. I've read of some people having success with dialing it down to 2, but I'd rather have a proper hifi cart anyway.

5g? Where'd you get that? Even whitelabels max tracking is 3g. I have a M97xE on one of my tables and have it ~1.25g. The specs from Shure are 0.75 - 2g:
http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/tech_pubs/@global_managed/documents/webcontent/us_pro_m97xe_ug.pdf

CharredBronson
Jan 22, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

5g? Where'd you get that? Even whitelabels max tracking is 3g. I have a M97xE on one of my tables and have it ~1.25g. The specs from Shure are 0.75 - 2g:
http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/tech_pubs/@global_managed/documents/webcontent/us_pro_m97xe_ug.pdf

I was talking about the cartridge/stylus that comes with the deck, I guess I wasn't particularly clear there. I meant to say that I was buying the m97xe because the stock cart is kind of horrible.

From the manual:

Audio Technica posted:

Cartridge Specifications (ATP-2)
Frequency response 15 – 22,000 Hz
Channel separation 23/17 (dB at 1 kHz/10 kHz)
Vertical tracking force 3.0 – 5.0 grams
Stylus construction Bonded round shank
Output 5.3 mV at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec
Channel balance 1.5 dB
Stylus shape 0.4 x 0.7 mil elliptical
Cantilever Alloy tube
Mount Half-inch

I think it's intended for scratching, or possibly for installing it in off-road vehicles.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've been submitting photos and information for a bunch of singles for Discogs. Somebody out there better appreciate the efforts to have a database that includes Kitty Wells 45s.

There is some terrible schlock in the collection. Of what I was given a few years back, one of my uncles had won a radio station contest somewhere for a whole bunch of free records. On the good side, I think it included Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and a promotional single for The Zombies' Time of the Season. On the bad side ... let's just say it sinks pretty low.

How low? This low.

As if the Paul Anka single, (You're) Having My Baby wasn't bad enough, she altered the lyrics a bit and covered it.

No wonder I ended up with this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Is anyone here a Third Man Records Vault Club member? If you are, are you still waiting on the recent package? Because I am and I don't remember it ever taking this long. I'm starting to worry that evil mail goblins snuck into the post office somewhere along the line and ate mine. It figures that this would happen for the package that I consider to be the best yet.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Is anyone here a Third Man Records Vault Club member? If you are, are you still waiting on the recent package? Because I am and I don't remember it ever taking this long. I'm starting to worry that evil mail goblins snuck into the post office somewhere along the line and ate mine. It figures that this would happen for the package that I consider to be the best yet.

I'm pretty sure they only started shipping the packages a week ago. They have a blog post about it, if I recall correctly.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
It takes aaagggeeess to add your collection to Discogs, but it is easier than an excel spreadsheet provided they have the records in their database. Even with the entered collection this small, I have a TextEdit list full of others that aren't there yet. The collection so far is very dadrockish because it's the ones I keep at my girlfriends house where I live. Once I go home to tackle the 2000+ collection it will look more impressive. Welp, here's what i've added so far.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I got mine last week. The final show LP is amazing! Your in for quite the treat when it arrives.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
This week, Insound is discounting select vinyl titles by 30%. Take a look.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

fozzie dunlop posted:

That's a really awesome price for Millionyoung's Replicants. It's on limited translucent blue too. One of my favorites of this year.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm pretty sure they only started shipping the packages a week ago. They have a blog post about it, if I recall correctly.

I guess that makes sense. In the past they've usually gotten these out sooner. Maybe membership has increased. Do you happend to know where they posted that? I looked in the usual place and it never mentioned anything about this.

Harry Privates posted:

I got mine last week. The final show LP is amazing! Your in for quite the treat when it arrives.

I've been especially excited about this one because I never got to see the White Stripes live. So I've basically been buying every live recording I can get my hands on. But hearing the last ever show will be a special treat. All the live stuff from the Icky Thump tour that I've seen/heard is really good.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

fozzie dunlop posted:

Bleeding money from my wallet.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

flippin thru lps at value village this morning & up comes:

Fela Ransome Kuti w/Ginger Baker & Africa '70 - Live!

English press w/insert ~undamaged~ $2

:slick:

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

milk teeth posted:

howly mowly, stuck amongst the Laurence Welks or was it amidst some other goodies?

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

right behind it was an immaculate copy of Whipped Cream & Other Delights :)

I checked everything after I found it - I got a Hugh Masekela album, and the Super Fly soundtrack was there, but it was too beat to buy.

Everything else was the usual.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

milk teeth posted:

The only time I ever came across this it looked like someone had used it as a cutting board. Nice find!

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

milk teeth posted:

right behind it was an immaculate copy of Whipped Cream & Other Delights :)

I recently stole this from my father, who has a ton of Herb Alpert stuff mint original pressing. That album is great. Are the others just as sublime?

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Looks like The Avalances - Since I Left You is getting reissued next year. I'm ecstatic as I don't have the funds to responsibly buy pricey OOP records. Not that $80 or $100 is too extreme, but I've been really close to grabbing that one on ebay and just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Found this awesome LP from the 60s with Vera Lynn singing "We'll Meet Again" and "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire"

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

hatelull posted:

I recently stole this from my father, who has a ton of Herb Alpert stuff mint original pressing. That album is great. Are the others just as sublime?

Herb Alpert is still releasing albums. His 60's output is all of a similar quality, with possible standouts being The Lonely Bull and the Christmas album. This track from 1979 might sound familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ennMD1fPtXA

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Not an Anthem posted:

Yea one of my favorite places in Chicago has a demo turntable for customers (a handful of stores do) and it was out for a while because someone slapped the tonearm and bent the needle and they didn't want a repeat performance.
I've seen kids put needles on slipmats so many times (once resulting in a bent and twisted cantilever). one of them even put a record on the listening station then scrubbed the needle back and forth across the record to listen to the sound it made.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wilbur Swain posted:

Herb Alpert is still releasing albums. His 60's output is all of a similar quality, with possible standouts being The Lonely Bull and the Christmas album. This track from 1979 might sound familiar:

I can only imagine living in a day and age when sober people dancing like that was considered OK. (Well, I was alive in 1979 but probably didn't dance much.)

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
They're not sober :ssh:

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Wilbur Swain posted:

My favorite Herb Alpert fact is that he founded A&M records

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Speaking of Whipped Cream... I was working yesterday and started digging in our clearance boxes under the bins, since there are thousands of albums sitting under there than never get any attention. The second album in the first box I looked in was a copy of Whipped Cream, still in it's shrinkwrap. The one edge had been opened, and it looked like it had been played maybe once or twice. Almost no scratches, just a ton of dust. $4!

And re: that Avalanches reissue, I think it's only a CD reissue, correct? I got the Modular 2xLP release as a birthday gift last year, and I found out that the person who bought it for me paid $80 for it. It's my favorite album but I still feel guilty.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

wait I can't tell if we're joking anymore, Whipped Cream is insanely easy to find. In fact, it would be fun to have a Whipped Cream race to see who can accumulate the most copies of that album in one day.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
I've never been somewhere that didn't have it. I was surprised to find that I didn't do I actually bought it. A taste of honey is a cool song. I bought the one with Spanish flea too cuz I love the poo poo outta that song. I almost bought the reel of it once too but I figured that was pointless ha.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
I wish they would repress Since I Left You.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I wish they would repress Whipped Cream & Other Delights and then replace every other vinyl reissue with Whipped Cream & Other Delights.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

I wish they would repress Whipped Cream & Other Delights and then replace every other vinyl reissue with Whipped Cream & Other Delights.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Farts Domino posted:

My favorite Herb Alpert fact is that he founded A&M records

Me too buddy. Alpert & Moss. It's one of the song facts I like to recite every time a HA&TTB song comes on. Much to the dismay of my girlfriend, who has heard every single song fact a million times since for some songs I only have one.

Admin Understudy posted:

Looks like The Avalances - Since I Left You is getting reissued next year.

Is it going to be the crap version with generic samples? The expensive ones are usually the original pressings with samples intact.

Farts Domino posted:

wait I can't tell if we're joking anymore

This. It's like saying

"Hay guyz i found the south pacific soundtrack it looked barely played"

I bought Herb's entire 60's output in one day for like 5 bucks from 2 charity stores. Also the MFSL pressing of Rise. :smug:

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Washed Out's new LP:

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Fabulous Diamonds' first LP:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

In case anyone here is a big a fan of The Protomen (and you should be): Act I will be available on vinyl any minute now. According to the band's newsletter the sale begins at 10am central, so I am just ready to burst from waiting.

e: Get 'em while they're hot! Got one for me and one for a friend's birthday gift. Yes we can!

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 10, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Space Fish posted:

In case anyone here is a big a fan of The Protomen (and you should be):

Do they still have a singer who sounds terrible?

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Has anyone purchased any of the Third Man Live series Vinyl? What is the quality like on these? I understand that it's direct to tape. I would like to get the Jacuzzi Boys one but $15 seems a bit expensive for 6 songs or is it double sided.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Space Fish posted:

In case anyone here is a big a fan of The Protomen (and you should be): Act I will be available on vinyl any minute now. According to the band's newsletter the sale begins at 10am central, so I am just ready to burst from waiting.

e: Get 'em while they're hot! Got one for me and one for a friend's birthday gift. Yes we can!

$35 for a nerdcore band? I was able to get a limited, 250 print edition of Decapitated's new album for like $15 who are a little bigger.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Includes a 22x22 poster and 10x10 stencil, I'm fanboy enough to pay up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

$35 for a nerdcore band? I was able to get a limited, 250 print edition of Decapitated's new album for like $15 who are a little bigger.
How the heck are the protomen nerdcore? They don't even rap.

PS: the less they sell of a release, the more they have to charge for it. Economies of scale and all.