Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Start posting goddamned mechanical failures or I'm handing out bans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
This looks pretty drat treacherous. Incredibly overgrown weeds engulfing railroad track.

Be careful of the site (liveleak.com); some of the links are :nws:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=41b_1309811215

Could any of you railroad guys shed some insight? Is there any practical reason why continuing to use that track (all though it looks like it isn't used much) would be unsafe?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Holy crap. Not a railroad guy by any means, but it would seem that a track that isn't used often that obviously hasn't had a visual inspection in a few months would be some sort of pucker factor.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
It looks likes there's not even any ballast. In America (at least the parts that I've seen) the kind of rock they put around the track and ties seems like it couldn't support life of any kind.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Motronic posted:

Holy crap. Not a railroad guy by any means, but it would seem that a track that isn't used often that obviously hasn't had a visual inspection in a few months would be some sort of pucker factor.

To be fair they are in a high-rail car. They're what the guys who go out to inspect things ride in to inspect the things that they're riding out to inspect... That's a horrible mechanical failure of a sentence, I think.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sponge! posted:

That's a horrible mechanical failure of a sentence, I think.

Oh, well that makes more sense at least. Like I said, not a RR guy at all. Just looks kinda puckery to me.

So does "inspect" mean "let's see if this sombitch derails as we power on through!"?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Motronic posted:

Oh, well that makes more sense at least. Like I said, not a RR guy at all. Just looks kinda puckery to me.

So does "inspect" mean "let's see if this sombitch derails as we power on through!"?

A high-rail is little more than a gasoline powered go-kart with rail wheels. Gravity alone should keep them in place. The only way I could see that they'd derail in that video is of a large tree root somehow spread the rails.

Here's a video I took one day at a traffic light in the town where I grew up... They do a toy drive around Christmas. Also I apologize for the horrible noise, I've determined that if I have the fan blowing in my car, directed through the defroster vents, it resonates with the microphone of that particular camera like blowing over a coke bottle when I hold it up near the windshield. Course I didn't know about that till I got home and watched the clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k84ApPq_moQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrbDV9z59OE

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Short bus. The term you were looking for is short bus.

And that's hilarious. I want one.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
I'll be impressed if anyone identifies where I took those videos at.

They're not too hard to actually buy one. The problem is you need serious special dispensation from the RR itself to actually play with it on the rails. Or maybe if you bought it and then put it on a loan to a railroad museum nearby, which has some tracks of their own, that in exchange for them having it for display, you get to come out and hoon around it it.

Sponge! fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 6, 2011

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Started here and turned up US 11 parallel to the train tracks?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=6th+s...efox-a&t=h&z=18

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Plinkey posted:

Started here and turned up US 11 parallel to the train tracks?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=6th+s...efox-a&t=h&z=18

I am duly impressed! You know the area, or just clever sign-watching?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
There's a good chance my uncle was in that lineup, he owns 3 or 4 of those and often attends and leads outings in PA and other parts of the US. They're called "speeders" and have pretty much been replaced by those pickup trucks fitted with lower-able train wheels for actual inspection purposes.

I've been on rides similar to that video where you just go plowing through weeds:

Going over train bridges in them can also be a bit rear end-puckery:

Since they are old, owner maintained things, you usually get a horrible mechanical failure or two a ride.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sponge! posted:

I am duly impressed! You know the area, or just clever sign-watching?

A bit of both. I've been up in that area once or twice. I saw some phone number on a banner and that pretty much did it. I figured you were in either York or Reading at first.

And now for a picture:

Here is what happens when a hangar get hit by lightning and it manages to set off the foam system while the hanger is full of planes.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
I mean, I know we don't have an image size limit anymore, but...seriously? 3264x2448 ain't gonna fit on anyone's screen.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Puddin posted:

See this bullshit right here? That red line costs you $2.42. It is less than 200m long.

Approximately 3 people use this per day.

You don't know how much I just tripped out looking at that picture. I didn't expect to see where I was all of 30 minutes ago.

That bridge is exxy, yes, but you'd be surprised how useful it can be in a pinch. For example, with the Origin on tonight, I was able to drive in and out piss easy using it. Also useful if a smash occurs along the riverside expressway or something.

The toll is too hih for general usage, sure. Same with the Clem 7. They're still small change if you're running late and traffic's being a slut though.

The Scientist posted:

Could any of you railroad guys shed some insight? Is there any practical reason why continuing to use that track (all though it looks like it isn't used much) would be unsafe?

If you were to have a rail move, as touched on, that'd screw you up. Otherwise, you could have rocks/dirt/something else that isn't as easily crushed as weeds having built up over the rail (by an animal, for example) that could derail you.

Also, stuff *can* grow in ballast. It's not easy, but it can. Ballast will get contaminated with all kinds of poo poo. That's why you have ballast machines like undercutters to pull out, clean, and re-insert the ballast, or regulators to ensure it's all in the correct profile and your track hasn't warped due to ballast movement or anything.

Plinkey posted:

Here is what happens when a hangar get hit by lightning and it manages to set off the foam system while the hanger is full of planes.

Reminds me of this incident at Ellsworth AFB.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 6, 2011

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Plinkey posted:

I think thats quite a pretty picture :3:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrSaturn posted:

I mean, I know we don't have an image size limit anymore, but...seriously? 3264x2448 ain't gonna fit on anyone's screen.

Sorry, it's just the size I had...that's why I used timg (does that not work for everyone?)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hillridge posted:

There's a good chance my uncle was in that lineup, he owns 3 or 4 of those and often attends and leads outings in PA and other parts of the US. They're called "speeders" and have pretty much been replaced by those pickup trucks fitted with lower-able train wheels for actual inspection purposes.

I've been on rides similar to that video where you just go plowing through weeds:

Since they are old, owner maintained things, you usually get a horrible mechanical failure or two a ride.
In the traffic engineer thread we had a long discussion about how rail bridges are always about 5 cents away from falling down.

Plinkey posted:

A bit of both. I've been up in that area once or twice. I saw some phone number on a banner and that pretty much did it. I figured you were in either York or Reading at first.

And now for a picture:

This is an awesome mechanical failure if you don't own the plane or cars involved.

nm fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 6, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Stolen from the cycle pictures thread in CA:

That swingarm used to be straight :gonk:

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Hillridge posted:

This looks fun as hell, is there anyway to sign up for one of these rides or do you need to know someone?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Stolen from the cycle pictures thread in CA:

That swingarm used to be straight :gonk:
Rear-ended by something?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Leverage. The sprocket was installed incorrectly, allowing the attachment bolts to contact the swingarm as the sprocket rotated. Equal/opposite reaction: axle bolt forced upward.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Rear-ended by something?

No. The owner has replaced the sprocket but missed a spacer so the bolts (swinging around counter-clockwise) holding it smashed into the swingarm, deforming it and generally causing terrible things.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The F-150 Raptor apparently isn't as sturdy as its made out to be.

Found On Road Dead am i rite? :haw:

http://raptorforumz.com/showthread.php?t=14208
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/houston-we-have-problem-bent-frame-thread-3103/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuuUSUmwP8

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 6, 2011

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
99.99% of them will never see anything but pavement anyway.

Since when do people expect to be able to drive their car like in the commercials?
http://youtu.be/GveDVITQ5H4

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

oxbrain posted:

99.99% of them will never see anything but pavement anyway.

Since when do people expect to be able to drive their car like in the commercials?
http://youtu.be/GveDVITQ5H4

That was amazing. Looking under the Raptor, though, you would think it could do just about anything.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Veeb0rg posted:

This looks fun as hell, is there anyway to sign up for one of these rides or do you need to know someone?

Check out http://www.narcoa.org for information on local runs near you. http://www.narcoa.org/excursions/clubs.htm seems to be a list of various clubs. Find a club or an excursion that is nearby, contact the guy running it, and chances are they'll be able to find someone with room in there car who will take you along.

If you're near PA, PM me and I can put you in touch with some people.

It's pretty fun as you get to see parts of the country that there are no other easy ways to access.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Skyssx posted:

That was amazing. Looking under the Raptor, though, you would think it could do just about anything.

Not if you really look under it, like on a lift. A friend of mine has one and I was at the shop when it was up. The first thing I saw was the conspicuous lack of frame boxing where it just got too "hard" to do easily. I wasn't aware of this issue, but as soon as I saw that picture I though of exactly that spot on his frame.

Once again, they've done a half-assed job of gussying up something off the line with a bunch of bolt ons. Be rest assured, they will follow the SVT playbook of not fixing it for existing owners yet it will be redesigned correctly next year/two years from now, just like the 02-ish Lightning debacle.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Ok. I only got to stick my head in the wheel wells and engine compartment at an auto show.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Throatwarbler posted:

The F-150 Raptor apparently isn't as sturdy as its made out to be.

Found On Road Dead am i rite? :haw:

http://raptorforumz.com/showthread.php?t=14208
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/houston-we-have-problem-bent-frame-thread-3103/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuuUSUmwP8

I would've thought that big impacts from jumps etc etc taking up all the travel would bend the middle down, not up.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

It's bending the bottom of the frame forward, that pulls the top backwards and down.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

According to the pictures linked in that thread, the frame is actually bending down at the rear bump-stops, which lifts the front of the bed.

So they take a huge jump, the truck smashes down onto the bump-stops, and the frame can't handle all the weight hitting at that one small point (the bump-stop attachment), and it bends right there.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Raptor thing is going to be a huge :munch: event. Reading through one of the linked threads, 14 Raptor owners had a get-together. 10 went away with bent frames. This isn't something Ford is going to be able to deny for long.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

The Raptor thing is going to be a huge :munch: event. Reading through one of the linked threads, 14 Raptor owners had a get-together. 10 went away with bent frames. This isn't something Ford is going to be able to deny for long.

Just you wait and see. I would again like to remind you of the 02 Lightning motor, as well as the 03-04 PowerStroke 6L.

I like Fords, and I've owned them for years. But they have a history of pulling crap like this, sticking the early model holders with a problem which they don't acknowledge, and fixing it on subsequent model years.

Edit: I'm going out to look at an 03 powerstroke today. I'm an idiot. But I might be able to get it for drat near scrap iron price, so.......yeah, I'm still an idiot.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 7, 2011

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Well... Ford did manage to stay solvent.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Motronic posted:

I would again like to remind you of the 02 Lightning motor, as well as the 03-04 PowerStroke 6L.

Can you elaborate a little on these problems? I wasn't able to find anything specific with a little bit of googling.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Wojcigitty posted:

Can you elaborate a little on these problems? I wasn't able to find anything specific with a little bit of googling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36MCcRPRTc

That's the powerstroke issue at least.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

^^^^^ nice one in the post above!....that's a different problem on newer trucks with the 6.4 PowerStroke though

Wojcigitty posted:

Lightning: inadequate spark plug thread depth. They would blow out (never addressed). Intercooler issues (that one was addressed via recall), and piston slap (never addressed).

6.0L PowerStroke (all of them, but especially 03-04): FICM dies, constantly. This is the fuel injection control module, which is right on top of the motor. It gets hot and the solder joints break/discreet components smoke. You end up with a no start condition. Also, the EGR cooler rots out, and you end up with black coolant. The EGR cooler and oil cooler need to be changed as a unit. This is pretty much expected at about 100k miles or so. It costs you about $3k in parts to replace it all with factory parts, although a lot of people just block the EGR and cooler and there are several places that reman the boards in the FICMs.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 7, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Skyssx posted:

Well... Ford did manage to stay solvent.
Ford got lucky and don't let anyone tell you different.
Ford had the "luck" of nearly going insolvent first when credit markets were still open. They mortgaged everything from factories to the blue oval (no, really) to get financing right before the bubble burst.
GM and Chrysler had the fortune to me slightly less messed up and only run out of money after the bubble burst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

nm posted:

Ford got lucky and don't let anyone tell you different.
Ford had the "luck" of nearly going insolvent first when credit markets were still open. They mortgaged everything from factories to the blue oval (no, really) to get financing right before the bubble burst.
GM and Chrysler had the fortune to me slightly less messed up and only run out of money after the bubble burst.

Please. Look at the vehicle that each manufacturer is putting out right now and tell me that Ford's quality and attractive vehicles have nothing at all to do with their current success. GM had the misfortune of selling poo poo vehicles and Chrysler hosed themselves on the Daimler deal.