Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there a proper way to save state? I'm having a lot of problems with games freezing when I try to load a saved state after closing the window/the emulator. I usually have to close/re-open Dolphin half a dozen times until it magically loads. I'm used to being able to use save states instead of having to actually save in-game, is this not the case with Dolphin or is this just a general stability issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Can we get some shots of what Metroid Prime looks like? Either on GC or the Wii Collection version. Really curious to see how that holds up.

Also MGS: Twin Snakes and Twilight Princess.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
How are saves stored? I've got two folders, one for compatibility and one for speed, moved the roms so both emulators can share them but neither emulator can see the others game save files.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Carecat posted:

How are saves stored? I've got two folders, one for compatibility and one for speed, moved the roms so both emulators can share them but neither emulator can see the others game save files.

I think copying over the User/Wii and User/GC folders will transfer your saves.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Carecat posted:

Savestates don't work very well between different versions of Dolphin. In fact, you'll probably just get a lot of crashes if you try to load a savestate made in a different revision.

Also, older versions of Dolphin had a lot of bugs with savestates. Newer versions should crash and hang less.

EDIT: Whoops, he was talking about saves. This might help that other guy talking about savestates though.

Toad King fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 7, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Carecat posted:

Wii saves are stored in \User\Wii\title\00010000
GC saves are stored in \User\GC

Generally when I'm copying stuff over to another build I copy my save folders, everything in \User\Config, and my dsp dumps in \Sys\GC for using DSP LLE.

edit: 1UP put up a feature on Dolphin yesterday
http://www.1up.com/features/chances-play-mario-zelda-today

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 7, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How well does this work with PAL releases? Like, say if I wanted to import Another Code R, Xenoblade, and Last Story. Since NoA isn't bringing those games over, it's either Dolphin or unlocking my Wii.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

How well does this work with PAL releases? Like, say if I wanted to import Another Code R, Xenoblade, and Last Story. Since NoA isn't bringing those games over, it's either Dolphin or unlocking my Wii.

Dolphin doesn't care about regions. It will work on any game as long as it's considered playable.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Can we get some shots of what Metroid Prime looks like? Either on GC or the Wii Collection version. Really curious to see how that holds up.

If you give me a bit, I can grab some GC Prime 2 screens. I don't have a wiimote setup going to play the Wii versions, but so far, the GC version looks really good. But in the world of two-stick FPSes, it feels a bit dated moving and looking with one stick.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is this legal? I thought piracy and emulation were frowned upon around here.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Fire posted:

Is this legal? I thought piracy and emulation were frowned upon around here.
Emulation does not equal piracy.

There have been similar threads for earlier versions of Dolphin and whatever the PS2 emulator is called with no blowback. Technically, anyone in any game thread could be pirating said game, but if they don't brag about it, no one knows. That could be said with this thread as well.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's legal as long as you own the discs, same thing with PS2 emulation, since you can rip the discs and use the .iso files. It's pretty nice to have your entire game collection saved on your computer. The illegal part comes in if you actually obtain the games or image files illegally, but just owning the emulator and playing your own games on it is perfectly fine. The 1up article talks about this a little bit:

quote:

Despite three years of active development as an open source project, Rydgård told me Nintendo has never contacted the group with legal threats or demands. Dolphin actually skirts the legal issues that concern most emulators--while it's entirely legal to dump your own ROM images and system BIOS files, obtaining those files online enters shady territory. Rydgård explains:

"Unlike the UltraHLE guys (of N64 emulation fame), we've never heard from Nintendo at all. . . .The emulator itself is legal: as long as you rip games that you buy and play them with Dolphin there's nothing that's even questionable going on. Dolphin does not require the use of a BIOS file due to the 'OS' on Nintendo systems being built into each and every game."

Thanks to the Internet connectivity and optical media of modern consoles, legally backing up games is far easier now than it used to be. The Wii hosts a thriving modder scene thanks to the Homebrew Channel, which is great for Dolphin: anyone with enough patience to read a walkthrough can now dump their own GameCube and Wii games to a harddrive and easily transfer them to a PC. That's when the fun starts.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Fuzz posted:

There are a couple of good shots of Prime running under Dolphin here:
http://nintendoeverything.com/38965/.

No Twin Snakes or Twilight Princess screenshots in that gallery, but there are a few Wind Waker shots that look really nice.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

VDay posted:

It's legal as long as you own the discs, same thing with PS2 emulation, since you can rip the discs and use the .iso files. It's pretty nice to have your entire game collection saved on your computer. The illegal part comes in if you actually obtain the games or image files illegally, but just owning the emulator and playing your own games on it is perfectly fine. The 1up article talks about this a little bit:
Extending this further is the fact that the emulators tend to actually provide better play experiences for a variety of reasons. Up-scaling in particular is a very nice feature and some people really love to play their games with save-state support.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Gyoru posted:

Can I use another input method like a mouse, keyboard, or gamepad?
  • You can emulate a Wiimote by using your mouse and keyboard. You can also use controllers like the Xbox 360's controller or PS3's Dualshock 3.

So how does this emulator handle waggle controls when you're using a normal gamepad? Can you just bind them to the right stick, or something?

Playing 1080p Mario Galaxy with an xbox controller sounds amazing, but I'm not sure about the controls :ohdear:

general chaos
May 20, 2001
In the spirit of the Earth Defense Force revival, I for one would love to see some screenshots of Zangeki no Reginleiv. Does it bring the emulator to its knees like a frost giant caught unawares?

Doc Monopoly
Feb 18, 2011

Elman posted:

So how does this emulator handle waggle controls when you're using a normal gamepad? Can you just bind them to the right stick, or something?

Playing 1080p Mario Galaxy with an xbox controller sounds amazing, but I'm not sure about the controls :ohdear:

When I playing Galaxy, I used a mouse and keyboard so I don't know about the pointing, but for waggle(spin move) theres a button for shake. It works just fine.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does this thing support 360 controllers more or less natively, or do I have to do some xpadder/joy2key shenanigans? I find that a lot of software has trouble with the d-pad for some reason.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Doc Monopoly posted:

When I playing Galaxy, I used a mouse and keyboard so I don't know about the pointing, but for waggle(spin move) theres a button for shake. It works just fine.

Man, I'd kill for the real Wii to let you use a button for waggle.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm on a Phenom II X4 945. Unfortunately, I'm right on the cusp of playability for the LLE plugin on most games. No More Heroes 2 runs at 90% speed with it, for example, which wouldn't be too much of a problem if not for the stuttering sound. It doesn't seem like the LLE is getting much faster in the future either, so I'm just kind of stuck screwed with a lot of games. In the future I think I'm getting a better cpu cooler and overclocking this thing more.

jromano posted:

General: Enable dual core, enable idle skipping, JIT recompiler, lock threads to core
Audio: HLE with only "Enable DTK Music" checked, XAudio2 backend
Graphics: D3D9, internal resolution to auto (window size), scaled efb copy, ignore format changes, efb copy to texture, disable external frame buffer, fast mipmaps, cache display lists, disable per-pixel depth, openMP texture decoder

I haven't had much success using Lock Threads to Core. Usually it will run a tad bit slower or just be a bit glitchy. DEFINITELY do "DSP LLE on Core", though. Maybe I'm not understanding the option completely, but I think it processes the LLE DSP on a free third core giving you better speed. I get a speed boost in every game I try it on (when I'm using LLE)

Chinaman7000 posted:

Man, I'd kill for the real Wii to let you use a button for waggle.

You have no idea how much easier the "shake" button makes DKCR. It's awesome.

Emulating actual motion rather than simple waggles is a bit trickier. Stuff like the Mario Galaxy ball rolling or Kirby tank controls can be a bit wonky. The emulator lets you bind gyroscope controls and accelerometer controls to various axis. By binding tilt to the right joystick on my 360 pad, I can get around most games that use it for gimmicky stuff, but I can't imagine playing a game that relies primarily on motion controls with a controller. Just buy a real wii remote and sync it up with Dolphin, it's really easy it seems (I haven't done this yet because there aren't too many motion focused games that interest me)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 8, 2011

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Ledneh posted:

Does this thing support 360 controllers more or less natively, or do I have to do some xpadder/joy2key shenanigans? I find that a lot of software has trouble with the d-pad for some reason.

It has native support, in the sense that you can map whatever you like to something on the controller, change the deadzone, etc. The reason the 360 d-pad has horrible support elsewhere is because if you use the Microsoft driver, it's forever mapped as a POV hat, where the left stick is your 'd-pad'. If you're using a wired controller, the XBCD drivers are the way to go. If not, it'll be the same deal with a wireless controller, just no rumble, but for that road, I just recommend dusting off an old Xbox S controller and buying a $3 USB plug for it, it's the greatest for emulators and older DInput titles (and has the superior d-pad)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Ok, at the moment I have a Phenom 2 x4 955 that's overclocked to 3.8GHz, yet I STILL can't get DKCR to run at full speed, even with HLE emulation. I'm using very up to date SVNs and I have a good video card. What gives? Is it just AMD CPUs being worse at emulation or what?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

cat doter posted:

Is it just AMD CPUs being worse at emulation or what?

They just aren't as fast as the newer Intel stuff. Also, Dolphin has optimizations for SSE41 and SSE42, which AMD doesn't support. The Phenom II SSE support only goes up to SSE3. (They also support something they call SSE4a, but it's kind of a joke and Dolphin isn't compiled to use it)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I pulled up some 1080p Pikmin on youtube and I'm jealous.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

boner meter posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea emulation had gotten to this level. Anybody tried playing Eternal Darkness on this?

XboxPants posted:

Count me in as another

It ran fine a few months ago when the emulator was slower than it was right before 3.0.

Hell, I even posted screenshots back in uhh.. January: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=387072863

That 3.0 release hosed a few things up... anyone know if the past week or two have ironed out the merging? I'm too lazy to try it myself.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Maxwell Adams posted:

They just aren't as fast as the newer Intel stuff. Also, Dolphin has optimizations for SSE41 and SSE42, which AMD doesn't support. The Phenom II SSE support only goes up to SSE3. (They also support something they call SSE4a, but it's kind of a joke and Dolphin isn't compiled to use it)

Could CPU instruction sets really provide that much more performance though? That seems odd.

The Phenom 2 quad cores are quite powerful CPUs and are excellent for their price, I just think that the developers seem to prioritise development on intel CPUs, rather than intel's stuff being straight up faster. I mean, 3.8GHz by all accounts should be enough.

DKCR seems to sit around at 50-55fps and jumps up to 60 rarely. I just need to squeeze out that extra bit somehow.

Anyone have a good setup for Metroid Prime? Seems it's broken on the latest revisions (visor doesn't work) so a good SVN/setup would be awesome.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Since people were curious, TWIN SNAKES

First thing I've noticed is transparency isn't working for text

Another thing that isn't too hot is particle effects, that rainbow streak thing should be snow, and it shows up outside randomly

Ditto with decal textures, ALL of them - bulletholes, blood, etc. - show up black, check my box prints

NO HUNGRY FOR WORDS AHAHAHAHAHA. Codec convos are all green

The ghosting and tearing on the side is mostly because of the widescreen hack. Character models looking like they're covered in cum is most likely a result of bad shader emulation

Rendering issues aside, it looks pretty

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I have an AMD x4 quad core and a Geforce GTX 460 1gb card. I've tried a couple of Dolphin versions but can't get Skies of Arcadia Legends to work properly. The graphics seem fine and the emulator says the speed is at 98-100% but the music still skips around like crazy and the whole thing crashes when I try to go full screen.

Any tips? Right now I'm using the Dolphin 3.0 r7617 x64 ICC build with XAudio 2 and Lock Threads to Core enabled.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

cat doter posted:

Could CPU instruction sets really provide that much more performance though? That seems odd.

The Phenom 2 quad cores are quite powerful CPUs and are excellent for their price, I just think that the developers seem to prioritise development on intel CPUs, rather than intel's stuff being straight up faster. I mean, 3.8GHz by all accounts should be enough.

DKCR seems to sit around at 50-55fps and jumps up to 60 rarely. I just need to squeeze out that extra bit somehow.

Anyone have a good setup for Metroid Prime? Seems it's broken on the latest revisions (visor doesn't work) so a good SVN/setup would be awesome.

It's got nothing to do with favoring Intel. The truth is that Intel's i-Series chips are just plain faster. AMD chips are a good value, but Dolphin is a serious CPU hog and it's going to run better on faster hardware.

And don't confuse chip speed for actual performance. If a Phenom II and i5 are both running at the same clock speed, the i5 has better performance.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The optimized 6515 gives amazing performance, give it a go if your games are too slow.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Renoistic posted:

I have an AMD x4 quad core and a Geforce GTX 460 1gb card. I've tried a couple of Dolphin versions but can't get Skies of Arcadia Legends to work properly. The graphics seem fine and the emulator says the speed is at 98-100% but the music still skips around like crazy and the whole thing crashes when I try to go full screen.

Any tips? Right now I'm using the Dolphin 3.0 r7617 x64 ICC build with XAudio 2 and Lock Threads to Core enabled.

HLE sound emulation for Skies of Arcadia is crazy buggy. You want to use LLE sound emulation on it. Unfortunately, LLE for SoA is for some reason really slow.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Carecat posted:

The optimized 6515 gives amazing performance, give it a go if your games are too slow.

I tried it but the game (Skies of Arcadia) gets so many graphical glitches it's unplayable, unfortunately.

VVVV OK, I applied the hack and it looks better. The sound is still glitchy, though. Almost there...

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 8, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, the other solution is to just play it without any sound at all. That's really the only option until they fix HLE support for it (probably isn't going to happen) or they fix whatever is causing LLE to be so incredibly slow with it.

Also, make sure you have the right projection hack enabled for Skies. The one it defaults to isn't right. Right click the game in the games list, go to properties, set up a custom projection hack, and set the zFar correction to 1.99998

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 8, 2011

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really understand not working on the HLE core because imagine if there was someone working on making N64 emulation faster these days? Computer's are still getting faster and cheaper and compatibility is more important.

It kind of sucks for some people right now, but in 2 or 3 years even the cheapest computers should be able to run it fine. I only spend 3-400$ for a computer every couple of years and even that's already running it pretty well.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, the other solution is to just play it without any sound at all. That's really the only option until they fix HLE support for it (probably isn't going to happen) or they fix whatever is causing LLE to be so incredibly slow with it.

Also, make sure you have the right projection hack enabled for Skies. The one it defaults to isn't right. Right click the game in the games list, go to properties, set up a custom projection hack, and set the zFar correction to 1.99998

I tried using LLE and the sound seemed to work better. Unfortunately the game runs incredibly slow, as you said. I guess I'll have to wait a few years until I have enough reasons to buy a new computer again...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Toad King, how well supported is multicore processing other than Dual Cores? The compatibility in general is ridiculously high and I'm seriously impressed at the performance I am getting, but I've got the feeling there's some sort of CPU bottleneck - two of the cores hardly ever go about 50%, while the other two are stuck around only 80% or so despite performance being only 60% in Mario Galaxy 2. Is this an issue with multicore architecture or a graphics thing?

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I can't believe this works so well out of the box with so few config settings that need adjustments. I was a little bit surprised when I put Kirby's Epic Yarn in and it just kind of worked. Now all I need is a bluetooth thingy for my PC.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Golashes posted:

I can't believe this works so well out of the box with so few config settings that need adjustments. I was a little bit surprised when I put Kirby's Epic Yarn in and it just kind of worked. Now all I need is a bluetooth thingy for my PC.

I got the recommended one, works well.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Bluetooth-Laptop-Adapter/dp/B001E96JBK/

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Cardiovorax posted:

Toad King, how well supported is multicore processing other than Dual Cores? The compatibility in general is ridiculously high and I'm seriously impressed at the performance I am getting, but I've got the feeling there's some sort of CPU bottleneck - two of the cores hardly ever go about 50%, while the other two are stuck around only 80% or so despite performance being only 60% in Mario Galaxy 2. Is this an issue with multicore architecture or a graphics thing?

This isn't my area of expertise but I'll try to explain it to the best of my knowledge.

There is definitely a CPU bottleneck. In fact, the video card is almost completely insignificant in emulation. You can probably run the same game on a brand new Radeon 6990 or my old GeForce 8800 and get about the same speed.

The problem is Dolphin uses only two cores and will probably stay that way. In order for emulation to work, everything has to run in sync and if one part, like audio, slows down, everything else has to slow down with it. If we don't, emulation breaks very very easily. We can split some of the more isolated portions from each other, like the emulated CPU and the emulated GPU, but since lots of resources are shared (a big one being RAM) we can't just throw more processor threads at it.

Also, to everybody with LLE slowdown problems: Try checking the run LLE on a thread box in the audio options. If it doens't break the emulator, it might give you a speedup if you have a tri or quad core CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Toad King posted:

Also, to everybody with LLE slowdown problems: Try checking the run LLE on a thread box in the audio options. If it doens't break the emulator, it might give you a speedup if you have a tri or quad core CPU.

Yeah, it definitely helps, just not quite enough to get to full speed on most games (certainly not Mario Galaxy for me). I don't know why, but Skies of Arcadia is just way slower on the LLE than pretty much every other game I try. I don't know if there's a bug causing it or what.

Quick question: What do you do on Dolphin, anyways?

• Locked thread