Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Could anyone recommend me a few books that summarize and describe the Israel/Arab/Middle East/Possibly Palestinian conflict? Hopefully it (or they) touch on the complexity of the situation and why fixing one problem would create many more. I'm not so much looking for a history of how the issues today came to be but if it's a history lesson that is necessary to understand a particular issue that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translations are well respected. I haven't read their version of War and Peace, but their Brothers K is great and if I were snagging War and Peace I'd definitely get their translation.

Edit: What's a good history of the French Revolution?

I'll second the Pevear and Volokhonsky recommendation. I've read their War & Peace as well as Constance Garnett's, and P & V was vastly superior.

My favorite history of the French Revolution was Simon Schama's Citizens; an interesting rundown of the events surrounding the Revolution while also examining the cultural influences that formed the people and ideas involved. It also has a bunch of pretty pictures.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Can someone recommend me books similar to Robopocalypse..? I need more...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Brace posted:

Can someone recommend me books similar to Robopocalypse..? I need more...

World War Z, if you haven't read it, is essentially the same story, but with zombies instead of robots. It is also much better. You could try watching The Animatrix, too.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

funkybottoms posted:

World War Z, if you haven't read it, is essentially the same story, but with zombies instead of robots. It is also much better. You could try watching The Animatrix, too.

I'll check it out. Anything else? I love the survival aspect and how helpless they are throughout the book, it was a great atmosphere.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Any good book blogs I can follow?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
The best book I've ever read is The Black Company by Glen Cook (and it's sequels). I still read it about once a year just because it's just fun to read. I'm looking for something similar in terms of writing and storytelling style. I think what appeals the most to me is the absence of needless and drawn-out descriptions and explanations, and the fast pace of the storytelling.

I've tried some of Cook's other books but didn't find them very interesting.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
A rather specific request, but can anyone recommend a translation of the Poetic and Prose Eddas (the "classics" of Norse Mythology)? I grabbed the version on Project Gutenberg, and it is awful, i.e. "The sun knew not where she a dwelling had," which reads like what I'd expect from Google Translate.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
My mom's birthday is coming up in a few weeks and she loves getting books but I don't know what to get her this year. She reads a lot of David Baldacci, Norah Roberts, Dan Brown, etc. According to her, she likes "thrillers and mysteries". I dunno poo poo about any of those authors or those genres and have officially exhausted all my ideas in previous years.

ZeeBoi posted:

Any good book blogs I can follow?

http://toomuchhorrorfiction.blogspot.com/ was recommended by somebody in this forum, I think. I guess it's pretty specific so you have to be into trashy pulp horror paperbacks from the 80s. If you are, there's lots of nostalgic appreciation for the artwork that appeared on the covers and stuff.

Born to Hula
May 28, 2008
I've read through several other posts of people asking about post-apocalyptic literature but would like some more suggestions.

When it comes to reading I generally go for non-fiction but the post-apocalyptic/dystopian future setting excite my imagination for fiction. For those of you who are gamers, I love S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and the Fallout series. They really sparked my interest. I find my self creating mental fan fiction about these environments all the time. I've seen some recommendations for The Road and I Am Legend, planning on starting those.

Any other suggestions, especially if you are familiar with the games I mentioned? All ideas are welcome.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Born to Hula posted:

I've read through several other posts of people asking about post-apocalyptic literature but would like some more suggestions.

When it comes to reading I generally go for non-fiction but the post-apocalyptic/dystopian future setting excite my imagination for fiction. For those of you who are gamers, I love S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and the Fallout series. They really sparked my interest. I find my self creating mental fan fiction about these environments all the time. I've seen some recommendations for The Road and I Am Legend, planning on starting those.

Any other suggestions, especially if you are familiar with the games I mentioned? All ideas are welcome.

I really liked "On The Beach". It's about a post-nuclear apocalypse, but more realistic than a lot of those games are. I loved it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

My mom's birthday is coming up in a few weeks and she loves getting books but I don't know what to get her this year. She reads a lot of David Baldacci, Norah Roberts, Dan Brown, etc. According to her, she likes "thrillers and mysteries". I dunno poo poo about any of those authors or those genres and have officially exhausted all my ideas in previous years.

Do you know who the authors are in her collection? Michael Connelly, John Sandford, James Patterson, Harlan Coben, and Lee Child would all work, but they're big names and she's surely familiar with them. Slightly less popular are Steve Berry, Brad Meltzer, and Daniel Silva, with the latter being one of the best current writers of spy/thriller-type stories. For something she might not have heard of, Taylor Steven's The Informationist is a real grab-you-by-the-throat thriller and Brad Parks has two excellent mysteries featuring an investigative reporter named Carter Ross. For some international flavor, Keigo Higashino's The Devotion of Suspect X is great (except the end, but...) and, if she can deal with some heavy violence, Jo Nesbo's unfortunately-named Harry Hole books are several cuts above some other popular Scandinavian pot-boilers.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Doc Faustus posted:

A rather specific request, but can anyone recommend a translation of the Poetic and Prose Eddas (the "classics" of Norse Mythology)? I grabbed the version on Project Gutenberg, and it is awful, i.e. "The sun knew not where she a dwelling had," which reads like what I'd expect from Google Translate.

Penguin has one. I can't speak to it's quality, but I thought their edition of Njal's Saga read pretty well.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Mung Dynasty posted:

Has she read Agatha Christie? You really can't go wrong, especially with an omnibus like this one which has 4 novels, including 2 of her most famous (ones that are considered some of the best mystery stories of all time).

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Mung Dynasty posted:

Ruth Rendell writes fantastic stuff.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Thanks for the suggestions. This thread owns. I might end up getting her one from each suggested author or something like that.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Mung Dynasty posted:

Plum Island by Nelson DeMille. He's better known for military fiction, but this is a great read and a fun mystery/thriller. Another good one is Child 44 for Tom Rob Smith, basically takes a page-turning serial killer thriller and shifts it to Stalinist Russia which changes all the rules.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
I'm looking for a book that my Dad and I could read together. He's in his 70s and tends to prefer mysteries and thrillers. I know he read that Steig Larson trilogy, and I think has been through a lot of Michael Connely. I prefer hard sci-fi, authors like Asimov and Neal Stephenson. He's also very catholic, and while he's not entirely old fashioned, I wouldn't want to offer him a cyberpunk novel. He's mentioned he read and enjoyed Dune a long time ago. What's a good thriller/mystery novel with a very simple sci-fi premise we might both enjoy? Something along the lines of Gattaca I think would work well.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Gravy Jones posted:

Plum Island by Nelson DeMille. He's better known for military fiction, but this is a great read and a fun mystery/thriller. Another good one is Child 44 for Tom Rob Smith, basically takes a page-turning serial killer thriller and shifts it to Stalinist Russia which changes all the rules.
Yeah, I'm going to second Child 44. That was one of the better thrillers/mysteries I've ever read. I still need to get the sequel at some point...

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Elijya posted:

I'm looking for a book that my Dad and I could read together. He's in his 70s and tends to prefer mysteries and thrillers. I know he read that Steig Larson trilogy, and I think has been through a lot of Michael Connely. I prefer hard sci-fi, authors like Asimov and Neal Stephenson. He's also very catholic, and while he's not entirely old fashioned, I wouldn't want to offer him a cyberpunk novel. He's mentioned he read and enjoyed Dune a long time ago. What's a good thriller/mystery novel with a very simple sci-fi premise we might both enjoy? Something along the lines of Gattaca I think would work well.

Greg Bear wrote a FBI vs terrorist thriller set in the near future called Quantico. The writing and pace were terrific. Not too many sf elements.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Yeah, I'm going to second Child 44. That was one of the better thrillers/mysteries I've ever read. I still need to get the sequel at some point...

I've always held off because it gets such bad reviews, especially from fans of the first book. Which is a drat shame. There's a third one out soon as well.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Elijya posted:

Don't know if I'll be much help, but PKD's Ubik comes to mind, as does Crichton's The Andromeda Strain. The former is a bit weird at times and, depending on how "cool" your dad is, might be something he is unwilling to read, but it is at heart a fairly classic whodunnit.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Anyone that could recommend an old non-fiction book about life between the 17th to 19th century? It doesn't matter about the context of it. It could be a biography, or diary, or anything really. I just want some historically accurate and detailed visuals that can keep me immersed long enough to read the entire thing.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Imapanda posted:

Anyone that could recommend an old non-fiction book about life between the 17th to 19th century? It doesn't matter about the context of it. It could be a biography, or diary, or anything really. I just want some historically accurate and detailed visuals that can keep me immersed long enough to read the entire thing.
Any particular country/culture?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Imapanda posted:

It's not quite what you're looking for, but I'm reading War and Peace right now, and it's absolutely amazing. Here's a quote from wikipedia about the novel's realism:

wikipedia posted:

Tolstoy incorporated extensive historical research. He was also influenced by many other novels.[9] A veteran of the Crimean War, Tolstoy was quite critical of standard history, especially the standards of military history, in War and Peace. Tolstoy read all the standard histories available in Russian and French about the Napoleonic Wars and combined more traditional historical writing with the novel form. He explains at the start of the novel's third volume his own views on how history ought to be written. His aim was to blur the line between fiction and history, in order to get closer to the truth, as he states in Volume II.
The novel is set 60 years earlier than the time at which Tolstoy wrote it, "in the days of our grandfathers", as he puts it. He had spoken with people who had lived through war during the French invasion of Russia in 1812, so the book is also, in part, accurate ethnography fictionalized. He read letters, journals, autobiographical and biographical materials pertaining to Napoleon and the dozens of other historical characters in the novel. There are approximately 160 real persons named or referred to in War and Peace.

You have to take a little bit at the beginning to remember all the characters, but it's been completely riveting since then. The key to helping me keep track of the characters was learning that Russians use different forms of names for different levels of respect. (i.e. Natalya is the same person as Natasha, Pierre is the same person as Pyotr is the same person as Petrushka) I had tried to read it 5 years ago or so, and couldn't get into it because the names confused me. I got past that this time and it's turning out to be one of the best novels I have ever read.

It's definitely fiction, but the events and some of the characters are as true to real history as possible. (Unless an actual historian comes in here and calls me an idiot for thinking that. In which case, sorry, I know embarrassingly little about history.)

Adrenalist
Jul 8, 2009
Could anyone recommend me an introduction to Plato's metaphysics? I have no real philosophy background, but platonic absolutes sound very interesting.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Just dive right in and read The Republic, it's pretty good and still stands tall today.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 22, 2016

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

Imapanda posted:

Casanova's History of My Life is worth the time if you have the patience for the unabridged editions (the abridged version is a bit of a hatchet job). Downside is it's about as long as In Search of Lost Time, and Casanova seems to be a somewhat less than reliable author. And, yeah, there's a bunch of sex, but, as with the 1001 Nights, it's just one element in an excellent book.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Imapanda posted:

These two are long, but they're cool reads: The Diary of Samuel Pepys and Boswell's huge biography of Samuel Johnson. Boswell's book is especially good reading - it's a really detailed look at the life of a cool writer - but Pepys' has it's charms too.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Elijya posted:

I would second the already-recommended Ubik. I'm tempted to add A Scanner Darkly, but it might possibly be too close to cyberpunk and/or too drug-oriented for your purposes.

Throwing another recommendation into the mix, try some Alfred Bester: The Demolished Man or The Stars My Destination are his best-known ones.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Born to Hula posted:

Check out a book called Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse. It's a compilation of post apocalyptic short stories by a small handful of writers. Stephen King and Orson Scott Card just to name a few. Also, for what it's worth, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? takes place on a post nuclear war earth.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I need something to read next. I'm about halfway through The Scar by China Mieville and I find myself lost in parts of the book about the world, but maybe that's because I didn't read Perdido Street Station. Before that I read Ship of Fools by Richard Russo and very much enjoyed as a great short self-contained sci-fi story with a very easy to follow plot and enjoyable characters. Other books I've liked were Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion, Illium/Olympos, lots of Heinlien, The Magicians, Discworld and Harry Potter. Also, must be available as a Nook book.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The Nastier Nate posted:

I need something to read next. I'm about halfway through The Scar by China Mieville and I find myself lost in parts of the book about the world, but maybe that's because I didn't read Perdido Street Station.

It's okay, I read The Scar first of all his books too. It barely has any connection to Perdido so it's fine to be read first. However make sure you don't read Iron Council before Perdido because you really will be lost.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I Just finished The Plot Against America by Philip Roth.

I really liked this book, does anyone have any recommendations for something similar in the alternate history genre?

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I'm looking for nonfiction books about the Italian fascist movement, particularly Mussolini and his rise to power. Additionally, I'm looking for some fairly digestible books on 20th century Russian history and 10th-18th century English history. All of the books I pick up seem to be written as a textbook for academics and as a nice cure for insomnia for the rest of us. Any suggestions?

Boondock Saint posted:

I really liked this book, does anyone have any recommendations for something similar in the alternate history genre?
Harry Turtledove is the king of alternate history, but he can get a little cheesy at times. (WW2 and aliens :downs:) I'd recommend How Few Remain for a less fantasy and more realistic alternate history version of the Civil War where the Confederacy beat the Northern Aggressors and established the Confederate States. The Confederate States proceed to buy Cuba and expand their empire. And so on.

Another pretty decent one was The Yiddish Policemen's Union which is kinda about what would happen if the Jewish state was set up in Alaska instead of Israel after WW2. Yeah.

Bazanga fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 12, 2011

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Boondock Saint posted:

Personally, my favorite alt-history author is Robert Conroy. I've read 1945, which assumes that the attempted military coup against the Japanese emperor succeeded and the war continues after the nuking of Nagasaki, forcing America to invade the Japanese mainland, and 1945: Red Inferno, where an American unit is sent to occupy a Berlin suburb to dissuade the Soviets from rolling past Berlin, which the Russians mistake for an attempt to take Berlin by force, which sets off a war between America and Russia. I also own but haven't read 1901 about a war between Germany and the US over the territories taken from Spain during the Spanish-American War. Both the ones I read were really awesome, and the third seems pretty cool, too. He has two or three other books, but they're all along the same lines--an American-centric military alt-history. Personally, my favorite was Red Inferno but that's because the scenario in particular interested me, and it was a little more action-heavy than 1945, not necessarily because it was any better, per se.

Also going to second How Few Remain, and then continue on in the series that ends up explaining how a Confederate victory in the Civil War would affect the world up through WWII. Stop after WWI, though. The WWI trilogy is really good, but the interwar period and WWII basically becomes (I don't know if this counts as a spoiler but I'll do it anyway)the real history of inter-war Germany and WWII except replace "Germany" with "CSA" and "Jews" with "African-Americans" but otherwise everything's exactly the same and it just becomes obvious that he stopped really thinking about the alt-history aspect, which ruined a previously interesting series. :( But yeah, How Few Remain and the Great War trilogy are really good.

Sorry for the long, rambling post, but I'm a huge alt history dork :shobon: tl;dr: Robert Conroy and seconding How Few Remain+The Great War Trilogy by Turtledove

edit: You might also like the What If? books by Robert Cowley. The first one is also military-centric, but What If? 2 is more general history--still has a lot of war stuff, but not exclusively. The difference though, is that instead of being novels, they're collections of essays by historians, with a more academic--but still enjoyable!--bent.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 12, 2011

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 22, 2016

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Wow, I just finished this last week as well. Excellent book. I also have Chabon's book in my queue.

A friend of mine passed this link along to me for when I finished reading it, http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2008-10-29/readers-review-plot-against-america-philip-roth

It's pretty much just a round table discussion, but it's worth listening to the last five minutes where a Nazi sympathizer type calls in and pretty much loses his poo poo :lol:

Speaking of Chabon, I tried to start reading The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try again, since I only read the first thirty pages. I'm worried the same thing might happen with The Yiddish Policemen's Union.

I started reading the sample of How Few Remain on my kindle and I enjoyed it so I think I'll go with that for now. Thanks guys!

EDIT: What's a good place to look at review of Turtledove's books? I find Amazon isn't really a good choice since the majority of reviews aimed at his books tend to go "Gahhh liberals ruining my Confederacy white knighting!" and as a result heavily skew things.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Can someone recommend me another Vonnegut book to read?

I've read Slaughterhouse Five about three times, Breakfast of Champions once, and Cat's Cradle once. I'm going to reread the last two again but I want another one to move on to!