Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
I'm binging through Moral Orel right now. Holy. loving. poo poo.

I caught a couple of episodes from season 1 when it originally came out and thought "Okay, I get the joke, but whatever." For some reason through I decided to track it all down and go through it.

I just finished season 2, and it is some of the most uncomfortable TV watching I've ever seen. The season finale of season 2 is distrubing on a level I never expected out of a stop motion animation show about a good little christian boy. This show does such a fantastic job of pulling back the thin curtain of middle America and exposing just how hosed up some of the people are who you'd least expect it from. It feels like the humor is being burned away from the show to reveal something far more real than it has any right to be. I can't wait for the Season 3 DVD. I ordered it from a somewhat shady looking website that I'm really hoping turns out to be legit.

This show seems like the guy who created it was doing everything he possibly could to make his show impossible to air and then the programming guys decided to air it anyways just so they wouldn't have the appearence of blinking first. I really need to find what else this guy has made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I caught a couple of episodes from season 1 when it originally came out and thought "Okay, I get the joke, but whatever." For some reason through I decided to track it all down and go through it.

I just finished season 2, and it is some of the most uncomfortable TV watching I've ever seen. The season finale of season 2 is distrubing on a level I never expected out of a stop motion animation show about a good little christian boy. This show does such a fantastic job of pulling back the thin curtain of middle America and exposing just how hosed up some of the people are who you'd least expect it from. It feels like the humor is being burned away from the show to reveal something far more real than it has any right to be. I can't wait for the Season 3 DVD. I ordered it from a somewhat shady looking website that I'm really hoping turns out to be legit.

This show seems like the guy who created it was doing everything he possibly could to make his show impossible to air and then the programming guys decided to air it anyways just so they wouldn't have the appearence of blinking first. I really need to find what else this guy has made.

Yea Morel Orel is hardcore. The creator has a show, "Mary Shelley's Frankenhole" on adult swim. He also writes for and appears as Starburns on Community.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Just have to warn you season 3 is more hosed up. Also I am currently rewatching the Stargate series then its on to West Wing. However I am also watching Breaking Bad this summer. I might also start True Blood.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Fooz posted:

He also writes for and appears as Starburns on Community.

This just completely blew my mind.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Why do you think the claymation episode worked so well? He was involved in it.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

bobkatt013 posted:

Just have to warn you season 3 is more hosed up.

This made me curious enough to youtube the first six episodes of season 3.

Mother fucker. I feel dirty after watching that. I can't even imagine how it will end.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MelvinTheJerk posted:

This made me curious enough to youtube the first six episodes of season 3.

Mother fucker. I feel dirty after watching that. I can't even imagine how it will end.

You will be surprised.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just saw the 10 episodes of Game of Thrones over the last week. Great show and I can't wait to see what comes next

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I am just about finished with the second season of Six Feet Under and have to say it is probably the greatest TV drama I've ever seen. I love and hate every single character. Obviously it's still a TV show, but everything just feels so drat believable and real. Really, really, really impressed so far.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Eggnogium posted:

I am just about finished with the second season of Six Feet Under and have to say it is probably the greatest TV drama I've ever seen. I love and hate every single character. Obviously it's still a TV show, but everything just feels so drat believable and real. Really, really, really impressed so far.

Wait till you get to the end. The finale is one of the most amazing things ever.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

bobkatt013 posted:

You will be surprised.

Just binged through the rest of Season 3.

99% of that was the most cynical TV I've ever seen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Just binged through the rest of Season 3.

99% of that was the most cynical TV I've ever seen.

But the last minute was happy.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

bobkatt013 posted:

Wait till you get to the end. The finale is one of the most amazing things ever.

Yeah, I already heard about the premise of it long before I started watching which is a bummer but I still can't wait to see it. Man, these characters just refuse to ever be vulnerable in front of one another and frustrates the living gently caress out of me. But then I look at my own family and I'm like, "Yeah, I get that".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd never seen someone so frustratingly wound up on TV than Ruth. Just get a goddamn dildo or something

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I'd never seen someone so frustratingly wound up on TV than Ruth. Just get a goddamn dildo or something

Or some E

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I've been flying through The Wire, just started Season Two, Episode 9. Wow, the startup on that one. :smith: I'd hate to live in a part of city like that. Too loving dangerous.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

der juicen posted:

I've been flying through The Wire, just started Season Two, Episode 9. Wow, the startup on that one. :smith: I'd hate to live in a part of city like that. Too loving dangerous.

Wait it gets worse. As A future teacher season 4 is the worst for me

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

bobkatt013 posted:

But the last minute was happy.

You're right, it's not what I was expecting at all. Here's what I was expecting:

Orel would basically grow up to accept that religion was all a big joke and if anything it made everyones life worse rather than better. Instead we got Orel becoming mature enough to somehow be an adult who could balance religion with a real life. Earlier in the show he couldn't be friends with someone because they had a different version of the Lord's Prayer. Now in adulthood he's married to that person with two loving kids, his family has seemingly none of the issues he had growing up, and if what the radio sermen implied was real than he had one of those rare families that was just perfect and ideal. He still had some religious symbols lying around, but I got the sense that he didn't grow up to be the kind of Christian he was surrounded with. There were even little things in the background like Shapey and Blocky grow up to be firemen and police officers. He has a picture of parents on the wall as well, meaning he somehow found a way to honor his mother and father and if you're sappy enough you can even believe that they somehow worked things out and fell in love again, which I could see happening if you combine Clay's bar speech with getting rejected by Coach Stopframe. Also, he has a dog again which is a much bigger step for him than you would expect.

It's outstanding how I could feel like a terrible person watching so much of that show only to have a minute of payoff at the end redeem everything. Outstanding stuff and really a hidden gem of sorts for TV. I'm trying to think of another show that could pack in that emotion 10 minutes at a time and I don't see it. I feel like a real rear end in a top hat now for writing it off when it first came out. I really should have stuck with it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just bought the first 4 seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm, and I'm halfway through those. Best Buy was selling them for like 17 bucks apiece.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

bobkatt013 posted:

Wait it gets worse. As A future teacher season 4 is the worst for me

I hope it doesn't sway me from wanting to teach.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

der juicen posted:

For me it shows the reality. DO NOT LET POLITICS GET TO YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Harmonica posted:

If you can't tell the difference between those two shows then yes, you should definitely stop watching. Big Bang Theory is writing via committee, is definitely mugging and all that crap, IT Crowd has one of the most celebrated comedy writers of recent decades working on it. They are night and day.

Honestly, after a few episodes the computer stuff doesn't even matter. I only watched the beginning for Richard Ayoade, but around the time Richmond (and later Matt Berry) showed up it really just took on a new life. My dad started watching it and the last time he called he was raving about how great "The It Crowd" was.

Honestly, I'll watch anything with Garth Marenghi's Darkplace alumni. I still remember being bored late one night and seeing that it was on the Sci-Fi channel thinking it was something serious, and then seeing The Apes of Wrath episode.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I just started watching Skins (UK) on netflix. I knew nothing about it, except I heard that Misfits was like Skins + Heroes, so I figured it was a British teen dramedy.

I really liked the first episode, but I'm on episode 5 now, and I seem to be liking each one less and less. I'm not giving up though, and hopefully it will turn around for me again, and I'll make it through to season 2 and beyond.

Master Kush
Aug 8, 2007

Right now, smallville, its been freaking awesome except that abortion of season 6. Then onto watching current tv shows like futurama, breaking bad,falling sky's and true blood.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Near being halfway through Six Feet Under Season 2, some thoughts about the main characters:

-Peter Krause/Nate has some serious range -- between the accidental hit of X, falling apart when telling David about his condition, his freak out on the ridiculous blonde chick with the chipped casket, his outrage towards Billy's crazy poo poo, and the list goes on...it just amazes me how seamless he transitions into these different states of mind/emotion. Good poo poo.

-David is easily, hands down the best character on the show, though.

-Claire is less annoying to me in Season 2...the whole drama with Gabe toned her down for me/made me feel sympathetic to the character I guess. I don't immediately feel the need to fast forward through her scenes anymore, which takes me to...

-Ruth get the gently caress off this show.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

der juicen posted:

Unless you're just completely unaware of the current problems the US school systems are having, it won't.

I think at the time there was basically nobody else showing what the school systems are really like, but since then there's been a lot more public discussion.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's getting pretty bad in California. Lot of layoffs and forced furloughs on professors. My advisor from last year is gone :(

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Just binged through My So Called Life and man what another great show that died too soon. It just brought back memories of being a high school student good and bad.

Also watched Charles Dickens Bleak House mini series which was another excellent adaptation.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

precision posted:

Also chiming in with "If you haven't watched The Misfits you drat well better." What a fantastic show. If the characters annoy you at first, don't worry, they're supposed to. You grow attached to them real quick.

closing in on the end of season 2 here. Some of the powers in season2 are so fantastic, this show completely breaks the mold.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Binging through Fringe right now. Started the 2nd season recently and it's pretty good. It's gone alot deeper into the supernatural/sci-fi side than I had expected from the show.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I just started season 4 of The Wire and it's already pretty discouraging!

I
Am
Lovable
And
Capable!

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010
Just binged Moral Orel within 2 days.
Must say it was great, especially when it started to arc with intertwining story-lines and all.
I just didn't feel it as really depressing somehow, which is strange because I teared up at way simpler stuff like the ending to Cowboy Bebop.
I guess I just couldn't identify with any of the characters, maybe because of the veil of religion that covered them all.
Anyway great show, full recommendation.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm halfway through The Cape. It's laughably bad. This show would have been at home in the 70s. When the bad guy actually said, "I want him eliminated...permanently", I knew I was in for a bumpy ride.

Network TV needs to just stop trying to make superhero shows for a while.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm halfway through The Cape. It's laughably bad. This show would have been at home in the 70s. When the bad guy actually said, "I want him eliminated...permanently", I knew I was in for a bumpy ride.

Network TV needs to just stop trying to make superhero shows for a while.

The show is so horrible but there's a pretty awesome flashback in one of the last few episodes where it's revealed Scales hates midgets because one denied him cake that is one of the funniest things I've seen on TV all year.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Chamberk posted:

I just started season 4 of The Wire and it's already pretty discouraging!

I
Am
Lovable
And
Capable!

I'm so envious of you, getting to watch that season for the first time. Season 4 of The Wire and Season 2 of Deadwood are basically the two greatest seasons of television that I've ever seen, I think. I don't know that I'd ever be able to really choose between one or the other.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Scott Adsit (Pete from 30 Rock) also did quite a bit of work (writing, voicing, producing) for the show.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MelvinTheJerk posted:

You're right, it's not what I was expecting at all. Here's what I was expecting:

Orel would basically grow up to accept that religion was all a big joke and if anything it made everyones life worse rather than better. Instead we got Orel becoming mature enough to somehow be an adult who could balance religion with a real life. Earlier in the show he couldn't be friends with someone because they had a different version of the Lord's Prayer. Now in adulthood he's married to that person with two loving kids, his family has seemingly none of the issues he had growing up, and if what the radio sermen implied was real than he had one of those rare families that was just perfect and ideal. He still had some religious symbols lying around, but I got the sense that he didn't grow up to be the kind of Christian he was surrounded with. There were even little things in the background like Shapey and Blocky grow up to be firemen and police officers. He has a picture of parents on the wall as well, meaning he somehow found a way to honor his mother and father and if you're sappy enough you can even believe that they somehow worked things out and fell in love again, which I could see happening if you combine Clay's bar speech with getting rejected by Coach Stopframe. Also, he has a dog again which is a much bigger step for him than you would expect.

It's outstanding how I could feel like a terrible person watching so much of that show only to have a minute of payoff at the end redeem everything. Outstanding stuff and really a hidden gem of sorts for TV. I'm trying to think of another show that could pack in that emotion 10 minutes at a time and I don't see it. I feel like a real rear end in a top hat now for writing it off when it first came out. I really should have stuck with it.
If you're curious (and if you didn't know this already), there were seven unproduced episodes for a 20-episode season before it got cut down to 13, as well as a script for one of them.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Coupling Season 1- drat this is a funny series..hooked now

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
^ It gets better and better as it goes on. The end of series 3 is the high water mark, though, so just prepare for that going into 4.

Power of Pecota posted:

Honestly, I'll watch anything with Garth Marenghi's Darkplace alumni. I still remember being bored late one night and seeing that it was on the Sci-Fi channel thinking it was something serious, and then seeing The Apes of Wrath episode.

Haha, when anyone goes into that show expecting a drama it is delightful :)

I've pretty much run out of shows to binge through. The few I haven't seen are things like Smallville and Grey's Anatomy. I have just started rewatching NYPD Blue, which is an excellent show but very difficult to marathon through, and I'm even considering Dawson's Creek. Yeah, sad times. Still, there's the project of watching Star Trek in canonical order on the go. I'll get through a few TNG episodes a week and there is a lot of episodes ahead...

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tomm posted:

Just so you guys know, Robert Sheehan (Nathan) won't be returning for the third series. So the show is going to suck.

What confuses me about people who say this is that their argument is usually Nathan IS Misfits. But that's just not true. He may be the comic relief, he may chew up the scenes he's in, but in both seasons so far the most "misfit" character, and the focus of both major plot arcs, has been Simon. I'd also say that Iwan is a better actor than Sheehan. Nathan is great and all but what I really want is him to play Juice Terry in an adaptation of Irvine Welsh's Porno or something, I don't think he's crucial to the show and the real plot of "did Simon change the future correctly, did he create a paradox, will he ever learn Parkour" etc.

And yeah, Kelly's accent, my God. I can understand a very wide range of very heavy European accents (seriously, anyone needed subtitles for Trainspotting?) and I'm vaguely aware of "chavs" because I loved the first Lady Sovereign album and other UK hip-hop but I had no idea they sound so... loving weird. "Chack'n nog-gets".