Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
Is this a good deal on a Huey Pro calibrator?

Its $50 with coupon code EMCKDGK33

I have an HP ZR24W but all I use it for is gaming and movies/video really. I gently caress around a little with web design and forum styles but I'm no photographer or professional. I'm just wondering if its worth getting. The only thing I did to my monitor out of the box was gently caress with the brightness and contrast until I liked it, though I still fiddle with it occasionally. This seems like a decent deal because most calibrators are $100+, but I'm just wondering if it will make a noticeable difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Adhesion posted:

Anybody have any experience ordering monitors direct from Dell? I would go with Newegg but it looks like they don't stock it.
Ordering direct from Dell is the suggested way of obtaining said monitors. The only oddity is their shipping/tracking system is apparently run by retarded palsy monkeys or something, so it's entirely probable that you will order one on Monday, be told it'll ship in three weeks, and have it silently show up at your door by Friday. And then you'll get a shipping notification about it sometime on Saturday.
It's not a bad deal, but it's not a particularly good calibrator--there's a reason all the others are much more expensive. Not that you need one, anyhow. If you're happy with the colors as-is, and don't have any particular need for exact color matching (eg, you're not a digital artist or something), then it really won't do much for you. Color calibration won't make colors look better in any objective sense, unless your colors are currently WAY off, which you'd probably be able to tell. So really you'd just be spending $50 to say that your colors were calibrated, and that's about it.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 1, 2011

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ok, so I'm kind of confused about the 120hz options available right now.

It looks like only a few manufacturers make the panels. Right now the best deal I can find is $269 shipped for a refurbished BenQ XL2410T on their site (I guess the whole refurb panel thing is a whole other can of worms, but anyways). Reviews are pretty scant and those that do exist seem to vary a lot.

I'm not adverse to getting a more expensive panel either, I just want to make sure that the cost is justified. I have seen that there are supposed to be new Samsung 120hz panels floating around- some people appear to have them for some reason- but on the Samsung site the only listed dealer is some Korean website or something. Also the stand design makes me think it will be expensive.

If anyone could shed some light on what the best option is for these panels in the 23-24" range, I would appreciate it. I've read through the thread but you have to read pretty far back, and I don't know if that information is current.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Bazanga posted:

Gunna pull the trigger on one of these two:

ASUS VW246H
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

Just got this one this week. It took a little bit of tinkering to get the colors how I wanted them but I really like it. The stand sucks and the monitor itself is NOT glossy, just the bezel is. That bummed me out a little but honestly for $200 it's hard to go wrong.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Taima posted:

Ok, so I'm kind of confused about the 120hz options available right now.
tl;dr: There aren't many 120hz options, and they only really benefit you if you want to do 3D gaming (you don't) or feel that you're the upper 0.1% of the FPS community that will actually notice and benefit from having virtually zero latency. For everybody else, it's just an extra $100-$200 tacked on to the monitor's price, and the monitors that are out now are (except for supporting 120hz) utterly unremarkable. You're better off either picking up a generic TN (if you just want to game) and saving yourself the money, or picking up an IPS (if you want visual quality) for the same price as the 120hz.

metachronos posted:

Just got this one this week. It took a little bit of tinkering to get the colors how I wanted them but I really like it. The stand sucks and the monitor itself is NOT glossy, just the bezel is. That bummed me out a little but honestly for $200 it's hard to go wrong.
Yeah, as was stated before, NewEgg product descriptions with the word "glossy" in them are typically talking about the bezel, not the actual screen. The only way on NewEgg to determine if it's a glossy screen or not (unless the term "glossy screen" or something similar is there) is to actually look at the pictures: anything where you can see a little dip or stair-step between the panel and the bezel will be matte. Anything with just a single solid surface from edge to edge will be glossy.

e; and it's still a pretty great monitor for $200.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 3, 2011

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
Nothing much to add, but I got my U2410 this week. It's pretty great. :)

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Guys, I got a dilemma. I'm absolutely in love with the Apple Cinema Display 27". The glossy finish, the IPS panel, the resolution, all of it is just great for what I want in a monitor. However, there is one major problem. Apple's loving insistence on using Thunderbolt/DisplayPort which is not compatible with DVI or HDMI and the lack of HDCP compatibility. This is a problem because I have a Windows PC and a PS3, both of which I would like to be able to use on whatever monitor I get. This is seriously a deal-breaker for me.

I've heard about a $150 HDMI-to-MiniDisplayPort converter box that has horrible lagtime, which just sounds awful. Unless someone knows of a better solution to get DVI or HDMI input to the Apple displays, I'm probably going to need to go with a different monitor.

Are there any comparable 27" IPS monitors with a glossy finish that have DVI/HDMI support at a similar pricepoint to the Apple Cinema? I seem to be able to find non-glossy versions pretty easily but Apple appears to be one of the only ones with enough huevos to make a glossy version.

metachronos posted:

Yeah, I placed an order for the Asus on Thursday of last week and Newegg hadn't shipped it out by Saturday night, which gave me enough time to reconsider the purchase and think about upgrading to a 27" :argh:. I'll still probably get one sometime this week depending on whether I can find a good enough 27" that fits my "dream display" requirements.

Bazanga fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 4, 2011

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

I have an old NEC 20WMGX2 that has been kicking rear end and taking names for about 6 years now. Unfortunately, the power button is dying. I'm going to attempt to replace it, but I'd like some ideas as to what would be a good replacement in case things go horribly wrong. I primarily game on this computer, and do a little bit of everything else with it. I wouldn't want to go over $700 but would consider it depending on the quality of the monitor.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I'm building a new computer, and am looking to replace my 17" NEC 90GX2 that I've been beating around for eight years with something bigger and widescreen-y.

I'm not picky, in fact the image quality for what I have would be great if I could get it to to somewhere around 1920x1080 on a bigger screen. (It's resolution is 1280x1024). I'm looking to spend somewhere under 200, $150 would be ideal, even!

I've dug around and found a LG W2243T-PF for 129.99 Canadian with free shipping, so I figured I'd check in here to see if that's good or if there's something better!

If it helps, I'm going to run this on an HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Bazanga posted:

Are there any comparable 27" IPS monitors with a glossy finish that have DVI/HDMI support at a similar pricepoint to the Apple Cinema? I seem to be able to find non-glossy versions pretty easily but Apple appears to be one of the only ones with enough huevos to make a glossy version.

I too was looking around for non-Apple glossy IPS monitors and found out Hazro now ships to the U.S. They have this 27" that looks like what you want and there are a couple of different version. Review here. I would love a 24" version of this but they don't make one.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Or, buy the best thing for your money, and get a Dell U2711. If for some perverse reason, you miss the glossy coating, just keep a mirror next to your screen and look at yourself every few minutes.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Generally, this thread talks about the midrange & higher end monitors, rather than the mass market TN panels. But since the 16:10 format is getting hard to find, I thought I'd post this Newegg deal for an Asus 22", 16:10 "2 ms" TN panel for $129 using the promo code, and $109 after mail-in rebate. I ordered one a little while ago. Free shipping too.

User reviews on this model are generally decent, the most common complaints are limited viewing angle range, some backlight bleed. And some complaints that it does not display text very well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-24236050-L014A

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 6, 2011

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Number_6 posted:

Generally, this thread talks about the midrange & higher end monitors, rather than the mass market TN panels. But since the 16:10 format is getting hard to find, I thought I'd post this Newegg deal for an Asus 22", 16:10 "2 ms" TN panel for $129 using the promo code, and $109 after mail-in rebate.

It's 1680x1050, why wouldn't I just get one of the ubiquitous 1920x1080's out there?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

shrughes posted:

It's 1680x1050, why wouldn't I just get one of the ubiquitous 1920x1080's out there?

Agreed. 16:10 is only worth it for the extra vertical height.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yeah, I think I'd rather have 16:9 IPS than 16:10 TN.
Of course, I'd rather have 16:10 IPS... (Well, I do, but that's not the point).

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Any comments on the ASUS VE247H ? I'm just seeing LED, HDMI and a sub £150 pricetag and looking to jump on it. The U2311H is 50£ more expensive

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

CactusWeasle posted:

The U2311H is 50£ more expensive
That's because the U2311H is an IPS screen while the ASUS there is a TN, so the ASUS is never going to look as good as the Dell will. Otherwise there's nothing at all wrong with the ASUS, and it should be a fine TN general-purpose monitor.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low
I have a 360 plugged in to a big hdtv right now but I would like to use it with my old 4:3 pc monitor. It has vga and dvi ports and 1280x1024 native resolution. If I get an hdmi to dvi converter will it work? I don't care about black bars but I don't want a stretched image. I know that getting a new widescreen monitor with hdmi is the best option but I'm not going to use it enough to justify that.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Trickyrive posted:

I have an old NEC 20WMGX2 that has been kicking rear end and taking names for about 6 years now. Unfortunately, the power button is dying. I'm going to attempt to replace it, but I'd like some ideas as to what would be a good replacement in case things go horribly wrong. I primarily game on this computer, and do a little bit of everything else with it. I wouldn't want to go over $700 but would consider it depending on the quality of the monitor.

Anyone?

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
My Dell U2410 came in last night. This sucker is huuuge compared to my LG 23" monitor. :woop:

Any recommended Brightness/Contrast ratios? I think I'm going to go blind even at 30/50.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Trickyrive posted:

Anyone?
Really depends on what you're looking for and what you're willing to spend. A $700 limit is pretty high for replacing a 20" monitor, and gives you a lot of options. Do you want a big gently caress-off screen? Do you want one that's got the best colors and viewing angles? Do you just care about refresh rate? Or do you not care much about any of the above, and would be happy with a 20-22" modern replacement, and then blow the other $550 on booze and hookers?

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

ElProducto posted:

I have a 360 plugged in to a big hdtv right now but I would like to use it with my old 4:3 pc monitor. It has vga and dvi ports and 1280x1024 native resolution. If I get an hdmi to dvi converter will it work? I don't care about black bars but I don't want a stretched image. I know that getting a new widescreen monitor with hdmi is the best option but I'm not going to use it enough to justify that.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083005&p_id=4010&seq=1&format=2

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Trickyrive posted:

Anyone?

My personal opinion is always going to be biased heavily towards Dell, but their 21.5" monitor is the same price as their 23" right now, so I'd just get that..

That said, if you had $700 in mind, go nuts. Either get a U2410 like so many happy people in this thread, or maybe wait for an offer on the U2711.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 8, 2011

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

Thanks, I never remember about monoprice, as much as I love it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

That said, if had you $700 in mind, go nuts. Either get a U2410 like so many happy people in this thread, or maybe wait for an offer on the U2711.
Speaking of which: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423465 Goon has a U2711 for $700. Sounds like a match made in techno-heaven.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

DrDork posted:

Speaking of which: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423465 Goon has a U2711 for $700. Sounds like a match made in techno-heaven.

This man has good advice. Assuming the guy is legit, poo poo, I'm tempted (but only if I could get it shipped to the UK :()

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 8, 2011

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

DrDork posted:

Really depends on what you're looking for and what you're willing to spend. A $700 limit is pretty high for replacing a 20" monitor, and gives you a lot of options. Do you want a big gently caress-off screen? Do you want one that's got the best colors and viewing angles? Do you just care about refresh rate? Or do you not care much about any of the above, and would be happy with a 20-22" modern replacement, and then blow the other $550 on booze and hookers?

I care about refresh rates and colors. Don't care much about the rest. I guess I make my price point high because I want it to last me as long as possible.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Trickyrive posted:

Anyone?

If you like size then just get the biggest TN panel you can find for under $700. For primarily a gaming monitor, a TN is usually your best bet.

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I know this thread is primarily about buying monitors but I figured this was the most appropriate place for a care question.

What are you guys using for cleaning? I use distilled water only with a soft cloth. I know microfiber is better, where do you get yours?

Every commercial LCD cleaner I've tried leaves nasty streaks, distilled water is the only thing I can manage. I've got a lot of screens to keep clean so I'm looking for a better method.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

archangelwar posted:

If you like size then just get the biggest TN panel you can find for under $700. For primarily a gaming monitor, a TN is usually your best bet.

I'm worried about getting a TN panel (color reproduction) when the past 7 years I've been using this IPS panel. At the same time, I was something with a refresh rate at least as good as what I have.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Trickyrive posted:

I'm worried about getting a TN panel (color reproduction) when the past 7 years I've been using this IPS panel. At the same time, I was something with a refresh rate at least as good as what I have.
Get an IPS. Modern TNs still don't really compare well to IPS screens for color, but IPS screens are now competitive with non-120Hz TNs when it comes to lag/latency. The only downside for a modern IPS screen vs TN is price, really.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

DrDork posted:

Dell was selling them new for $730 during their Days of Deals the other week.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Well, my 7 year old BenQ 4:3 monitor just poo poo the bed.

Looks like I'll be upgrading to a 16:9. I read the OP, and it seems a little harsh on TN monitors. Do I really need an IPS? They seem way more expensive, and I'm sure my old monitor was a TN and it did just fine.

Is there any reason not to buy this ASUS 24" for $199?

Here's my video card. It was the sweet spot card to get from the pc thread 2 years ago. Can it handle 1920 x 1080 ? I know it says "max resolution 2560 x 1600' on the specs, but i mean, reliably, consistently, push 1920x1080 for another few years?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

End of Life Guy posted:

Well, my 7 year old BenQ 4:3 monitor just poo poo the bed.

Looks like I'll be upgrading to a 16:9. I read the OP, and it seems a little harsh on TN monitors. Do I really need an IPS? They seem way more expensive, and I'm sure my old monitor was a TN and it did just fine.

You don't need an IPS monitor, as long as you understand that with a TN, you'll take some hits to color reproduction and viewing angles. If your usage is mostly staring at it head on playing video games and surfing the internet, TN is probably fine.

quote:

Here's my video card. It was the sweet spot card to get from the pc thread 2 years ago. Can it handle 1920 x 1080 ? I know it says "max resolution 2560 x 1600' on the specs, but i mean, reliably, consistently, push 1920x1080 for another few years?

I'm not up-to-date on my AMD cards, but I can tell you that the max resolution spec is just maximum resolution it could output to a display. It looks like your card is from 2008 though, which means that yes, it will probably suffer performance wise for upcoming games. You should look at getting a new videocard and look at benchmarks that tell you what settings you can run with at 1920x1080.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

End of Life Guy posted:

Is there any reason not to buy this ASUS 24" for $199?
If you've been perfectly happy with your old monitor, and are more interested in keeping a replacement cheap than making it an upgrade in terms of color and whatnot, then no, there's nothing wrong with that monitor at all. People in this thread are harsh on TNs because once you get used to IPS monitors, going back to TNs kinda sucks, and the only tradeoff these days really is the higher price.

End of Life Guy posted:

Here's my video card. It was the sweet spot card to get from the pc thread 2 years ago. Can it handle 1920 x 1080?
No. Not unless you're playing games from 2 years ago, anyhow. And Portal 2 and a few other games which were designed for consoles and therefore aren't in any way challenging for PC hardware, I suppose. But modern PC games? Not really. It's a 2-year old card that was mid-range when it was released, so even if it can run 1920x1080 on a current game, it would be with a poor framerate and all the pretties turned down.

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
this garage sale had two 30'' dell LCDs for $75 each. Bought both.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
There is so much hate for you right now.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

DrDork posted:

There is so much hate for you right now.

This. You total and utter bastard.

Well done!

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

DrDork posted:

words

Thanks. I bought the monitor and a new Radeon 6850.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

probably drunk posted:

this garage sale had two 30'' dell LCDs for $75 each. Bought both.
This is more :smug: than the thread title - by more than double. Even if they were broken and needed new power inverters you got a massive deal.