Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I don't know who told Ian O'Connor he was the next Roger Angell, but I want to punch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
CC Sabathia just threw a complete game shutout. His last 4 starts: 31.2 IP, 22 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 6 BB, 42 K.

Seems like a good time to remind everyone what a retarded piece of poo poo Mike Lupica is!!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

We could quite seriously devote an entire thread just to the tales of Mike Lupica's legendary assholishness.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

zakharov posted:

I don't know who told Ian O'Connor he was the next Roger Angell, but I want to punch them.
Better to have Roger Angell murder him and kill himself.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Crazy Ted posted:

We could quite seriously devote an entire thread just to the tales of Mike Lupica's legendary assholishness.

And it still probably wouldn't be enough.

At least Mitch Albom has done some likable things, and for gently caress's sake he's working in Detroit. Lupica is just the worst of the worst of the worst.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Captain Charisma posted:

CC Sabathia just threw a complete game shutout. His last 4 starts: 31.2 IP, 22 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 6 BB, 42 K.

Seems like a good time to remind everyone what a retarded piece of poo poo Mike Lupica is!!

That's so stupid. CC and Johan were like comparing apples and oranges at that point. It looks like he was just pissed that Johan turned down the Yankees, which is some sort of mortal sin.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Johan didn't turn down the Yankees, the Twins decided they preferred the Humber/Gomez package :laugh:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

zakharov posted:

Johan didn't turn down the Yankees, the Twins decided they preferred the Humber/Gomez package :laugh:

Stil lthe point being YANKEES DESERVE ALL HALL OF FAME PLAYERS HOW DARE THEY NOT GET (INSERT X PLAYER HERE)!!!!!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah Lupica sucks no argument here

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Bigass Moth posted:

That's so stupid. CC and Johan were like comparing apples and oranges at that point. It looks like he was just pissed that Johan turned down the Yankees, which is some sort of mortal sin.

The column in question was actually about Brian Cashman being so wrong and stupid rescinding the Santana offer because Johan is so much better than CC, who he predicted would be decent enough BUT NO JOHAN.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Wow, Daulerio. I'm not going to say this is a great idea, but it's certainly an interesting one.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

morestuff posted:

Wow, Daulerio. I'm not going to say this is a great idea, but it's certainly an interesting one.

I laughed pretty hard, so he has that going for him.

I hope he paid Craggs good money to watch that fiasco.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
He might have done better if he weren't using the retarded gesture pitching mode

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
For his next trick he should pound a bunch of Natty Light and try to recreate Boomer's perfect game during the hangover.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

morestuff posted:

You would think if you were going to do this that you would be good at the game, or at least practice beforehand. You know, so that the people that have to sit there and watch you don't make comments about how you suck and should have practiced.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 11, 2011

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

hcreight posted:

For his next trick he should pound a bunch of Natty Light and try to recreate Boomer's perfect game during the hangover.

Or as I like to call it, Sunday.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Mike Barnicle had his first piece go up on Grantland today. Who is Mike Barnicle? Let's go to The Big Lead and find out.

The Big Lead posted:

Mike Barnicle was a prominent columnist for the Boston Globe from 1974 to 1998. He was a distinctive, trusted voice throughout New England until multiple scandals forced his resignation. Journalism has two cardinal rules: don’t make poo poo up and don’t plagiarize. Mike Barnicle did both.

Yep, Barnicle is somebody who made stuff up, like a column about two families bonding in a hospital, and somebody who rips off jokes and quotes. He lost his job because of it. Why does this matter? Let's go to Deadspin.

Tom Socca posted:

"Now it's all on these things, computers." What an uncannily dialogue-like bit of dialogue, there. Terry Francona is known for being a good talker, but Mike Barnicle is known for stuff too. Such as not worrying too much about the relationship between the words people say and the words he decides to write.

Not to mention other direct quotes, like "It works pretty well, the numbers stuff." Or the wildly inaccurate numbers he uses in the story. Socca/Deadspin are offering $500 for a recording of Francona actually saying these lines. I'm curious, too. Could it be -horror of horrors - that somebody who's made poo poo up in the past made poo poo up again?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Plagiarism or not, the most questionable thing about that article is:

quote:

The season, longest of all the majors and quite exhausting, is a bit like dating a nymphomaniac; it demands daily performance.

Also, there is no way that Mike Barnicle is not a made up name, LET'S SEE THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE, "BARNICLE"

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I hate three things about this.

One, that story was nowhere near as good as it could have/should have been.

Two, that struck me, too, as a bunch of "imagined" quotes.

Three, god dammit Deadspin stop loving caring so much, you petty bitches.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

zakharov posted:

...and in the end, that package ended up being better (i.e. not injured to death). Especially considering what they got for the players in return.

Why didn't we trade for Lester/just keep Santana :negative:

Oh right Bill Smith :downs:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I once took a tech support call from Barnicle regarding a malfunctioning Mac G4 Cube in 2000. He was easy to work with.

Because he was not the usual bitchy, entitled jackpipe we usually got on the phone, I didn't ask him, "So, how's the plagiarism and making-poo poo-up game these days?"

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I hate three things about this.

One, that story was nowhere near as good as it could have/should have been.

Two, that struck me, too, as a bunch of "imagined" quotes.

I hate Daulerio and a lot of the bullshit he stirs up, but Mike Barnicle deserves every bit of nit-picking he gets. It's a pretty damning statement about the journalism industry that he managed to fail upwards after the Boston Globe stuff.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
He deserves it but this is a textbook example of "A broken clock is right twice a day"

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Whatever he's done in the past, Barnicle is a good tv guy and a calm, reasonable voice in an era of hyperbole. There's no point in him responding to deadspin, because that will just set a precedent. They know that too, and when he doesn't indulge them they'll claim victory but honestly they just look petty.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

BackInTheUSSR posted:

This is probably the most persistent and reductive response to internet crit — "you're just caremad" or "you're just jealous" — and I really don't get it. Deadspin covers sports media, especially online sports media. It's also in the business of talking about popular things of interest to the readership. Like it or not, Grantland's easily the biggest online sports media story of the year, and it's helmed by an insanely popular dude. Of course Deadspin's going to talk about it; we all are, too. What else should they do? Something that's not their job?

Besides, it's not like Grantland didn't set the tone for this and establish the standard of the discussion. It was pitched with a lot of aspirational rhetoric about being a haven for high-quality longform journalism, promoting and mainstreaming the most lauded form of sports journalism for the online world. Simmons took off his Daniel LaRusso helmet and said, "I'm Bill Simmons, and I'm here to rescue you! I'm here with Malcolm Gladwell!" Okay, but if you're going to bill yourself as a repository for that kind of high-quality product, people are going to take you at your word and hold you to it. At worst, Scocca's accepted their standards and said, "You are not meeting them," by pointing out that they had a shameful first week of basic errors that went unacknowledged and were "disappeared" without citation, and now they've moved on to meeting their journalistic bona fides by hiring a guy who repeatedly committed the most fundamental sin in journalism.

If Grantland had been billed as a vanity project for a waterheaded cultural critic with a luddite homer streak, featuring an all-star cast of navel-gazing narcissists, a corporate boardroom junk-science pimp and some forgettable TV-talk Tumblr bimbo, nobody would have given a poo poo. But they made their bed, and now other journalists — many more than just the Deadspin staff — are now making sure they lie in it.

Or maybe they're all just :qq:ing real hard because the "u mad? idiot fucker bitch" button is glowing on their PCs.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Ace Jameson posted:

Whatever he's done in the past, Barnicle is a good tv guy and a calm, reasonable voice in an era of hyperbole. There's no point in him responding to deadspin, because that will just set a precedent. They know that too, and when he doesn't indulge them they'll claim victory but honestly they just look petty.

I have just about the complete opposite view of Barnicle's current incarnation as a MSNBC talking head. I think his smug, faux-"common man" schtick, his lack of insight into anything beyond the blandest conventional wisdom and his general boorishness is symptomatic of just about the worst elements of the mainstream political press.

That said, gently caress Deadspin.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The only problem I had with the Deadspin article is that their accusations were pretty baseless. They basically cherry-picked a folksy sounding quote and said that it sounded fake, then tried to legitimize their claim by offering a cash prize.

Grantland probably shouldn't have thrown him work, but Simmons fetishizes that old Boston Globe sports section and I'm sure he's the one that brought him in.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

This is probably the most persistent and reductive response to internet crit — "you're just caremad" or "you're just jealous" — and I really don't get it. Deadspin covers sports media, especially online sports media. It's also in the business of talking about popular things of interest to the readership. Like it or not, Grantland's easily the biggest online sports media story of the year, and it's helmed by an insanely popular dude. Of course Deadspin's going to talk about it; we all are, too. What else should they do? Something that's not their job?

More dick pix, obviously.

The fact is that Deadspin can do no right as long as Daulerio is running the show, because anything they write is tainted with his long history of being an unethical hack (and a smug rear end in a top hat about it to boot).

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Mornacale posted:

The fact is that Deadspin can do no right as long as Daulerio is running the show, because anything they write is tainted with his long history of being an unethical hack (and a smug rear end in a top hat about it to boot).
That's just silly. One of the reasons Craggs stated for staying at Deadspin was the leeway he had to write what he wanted without interference, because that's how Daulerio runs his ship. Scocca was brought in to have his own brief and try to do harder journalism crit and work with other writers, but he's also basically on his own to do stuff that interests him. If Daulerio's some kind of tentacular stain on the entire organization, he sort of sucks at actively doing that.

Pigeonholing Deadspin as solely a sports journalism site is silly for the reasons you stated, but thinking of it as basically a rumor-mongering dick factory is equally mistaken. In the last year, they published leaked financial reports from an NBA team and a handful of MLB teams, showing how ownership buries profits, cooks the books for tax breaks and manipulates the discussion with fans and with cities — to say nothing of other MLB teams, in terms of revenue sharing — to falsely claim greater financial burdens than actually exist. Those were really sharp pieces of work that contributed enormously to the ownership/fan dialogue. Both were written during Daulerio's stewardship.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Deadspin has a lot of salacious junk because salacious junk gets you pageviews. Pageviews mean you can charge more for ad space plus it's factored into the pay of the writers. More pageviews = get paid more.

I don't like Deadspin's normal content at all (I'm not the demo anyway so they don't care), but those pageviews they get from the junk are also how they get people to leak them financials/etc.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

That's just silly...

I meant that Deadspin is going to get a bunch of criticism no matter what it does, because of the rep that Daulerio has built it.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Mornacale posted:

I meant that Deadspin is going to get a bunch of criticism no matter what it does, because of the rep that Daulerio has built it.
Ah, I couldn't tell if your "do no right" was about your own attitude or a general one. My bad, man.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Stop bitching about Deadspin and read this: http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201107/jerry-joseph-scandal-hs-basketball

Guarantee it's the best thing you read all week.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Stop bitching about Deadspin and read this: http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201107/jerry-joseph-scandal-hs-basketball

Guarantee it's the best thing you read all week.

Thanks for the link. The author was presented with a fascinating story and nailed it, great read.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Here's to You, Ryan Howard

quote:

ON THE DAY AFTER the All-Star Game was played in Phoenix without Ryan Howard, this column is directed at the haters and bashers who have been coming out of the woodwork in larger numbers than usual.

They are predictable as smog in a heat wave. They pretend to be knowledgable baseball fans, but trip themselves up every time because they are dead wrong. And egregiously stupid.

I hear the reason why he was not voted into the All-Star Game by the fans - and Phillies fans basically ignored him while stuffing the ballot box for an injured Shane Victorino - is because the National League has all these great first basemen. And RH is no longer one of them . . .

So, chew on this: Prince Fielder went to the All-Star Game and captained a Home Run Derby team that was blown out of the water by a couple of real hitters named Adrian Gonzalez and Robinson Cano, who put on one hell of a show.

Not that Fielder is chopped liver. He is, after all, tied for the league RBI lead with some slipping, already over-the-hill guy named Ryan Howard. Each had 72 at the break. Oh, and Prince did rule last night, with a three-run homer that helped the National League win, 5-1.

But let me mention that Howard bats cleanup for a first-place team that leads the majors in wins and has the biggest division lead at the break in either league.

Oh, but he's a butcher with the glove (all of four errors), clogs up the bases (as if Fielder is Michael Bourn) and is not providing close to acceptable return for the $125 million salary. (And since that contract just kicked in and he's on pace for 140 RBI, maybe you should wait a while on that.)
[NOTE THAT CONTRACT DID NOT ACTUALLY JUST KICK IN]

Here's a typical email from a regular who has been on Howard's case since Day 1. He posted it just as the Phillies were about to explode for that 14-1 destructo of the Braves Sunday:

The Phillies are paying Howard more than the Sox are paying Adrian Gonzalez a professional hitter. That would be funny if it wasn't so embarrassing.

I replied: " . . . There's not one [censored] player worth what he's being paid . . . That's why there should be a statue of Marvin Miller in front of the MLPA headquarters."

Just then, Howard singled home the lead run off Derek Lowe in what was still a tight game.

The emailer's reply:

Only because for some reason Lowe didn't throw a breaking ball in the dirt. He doesn't get paid to hit singles off the trademark. He's killing this team like he did in 07 09 & 10.

This was the generic chant from the Tab-and-Scrapple Choir. He doesn't hit for high enough average, he never hits in the clutch (See Mike Schmidt abuse files from the 1970s). He needs to bunt or slap the ball to left against the shift. Yada, yada, yada . . .

One guy even invoked the despicable, undecipherable WAR stat. That's a totally bogus acronym for "Wins Above Replacement." It presents a patentedly unsupported hypothesis that measures the "projected" performance of an "average" Triple A player called up to replace Major League regular A . . .

I'm laughing too hard to continue. You saw what happened last season when Howard missed 19 games with an ankle sprain and was off-form the rest of the season, yet still managed 31 homers and 108 RBI.

In the words of Edwin Starr at Woodstock: "WAR, what is it good for? Absolutely nothin.' [Hunh!]"

For the record - and I'm giving Michael Jack a pass for his dismal rookie year - in his first five full seasons after 1973, MJS averaged 34.2 homers and 99.4 RBI.

So let's move on to some serious power hitting by the man considered to be the greatest all-around hitter in franchise history. That would be Hall of Famer Chuck Klein.

Klein was a candle who burned briefly but brightly in his five full seasons playing in a lopsided Baker Bowl that was tilted favorably for both his lefthanded pull power and defensive prowess as a rightfielder.

So let's put Howard's first 5 full years up against the Great Chucker. And I'm throwing out RH's Rookie of the Year 2005 because he played in only 88 games.

Klein had a 1930 for the ages. So did the Phillies. He batted .386, but failed to win the batting title in a National League consumed by an orgy of offense. He scored 158 runs, flogged 250 hits, ripped 59 doubles, eight triples and 40 homers for a gargantuan 170 RBI. Unfortunately, that was the year when Hack Wilson drove in 190 for the Cubs.

They must have been playing slo-pitch softball because the Phillies' team batting average was an incredible .315. That offensive juggernaut managed to lose 102 games in a 154-game schedule.

Howard is tied for the NL RBI lead despite being an island in the stream. Until Chase Utley came back after missing 2 months, there was a mostly inept revolving No. 3 hole in front of him and a No. 5 hole committee that underperformed.

In 1930, Klein had the best protection since the invention of the kevlar vest. He batted No. 3 with Lefty O'Doul hitting .383 in front of him. The cleanup hitter was third baseman Pinky Whitney, who batted .342.

Klein was traded to the Cubs after his fifth full season:

* The Chucker drove in 693 runs for an average of 138.6.

* Howard has driven in 680 runs for an average of 136.

* The Chucker hit 180 homers for an average of 36.

* Howard has hit 229 homers for an average of 45.8.

I'd rest the defense right there, but feel compelled to add that Klein spent most of his seasons here on teams in or near last place.

I don't have to tell you where Ryan Howard has spent his five seasons.

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 13, 2011

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

quote:

In the words of Edwin Starr at Woodstock: "WAR, what is it good for? Absolutely nothin.' [Hunh!]"

Whoa, nobody's made THAT joke before!

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

He has a point about WAR, which is like 1.something. You're telling me Howard is only good for 1 more win than Ross Gload would be?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
McCutchen not an All-Star ... not yet

quote:

McCutchen is first at his position in walks, but that barely deserves more than the cliché “good eye, kid” acknowledgment.

In a good year so far for NL outfielders, McCutchen is just the odd man out. Sabremetrically speaking, he’d probably be in over a few others but I doubt NL manager Bruce Bochy had the time to sort through the stacks and stacks of nerd statistics to find out why.

I don't know why, but for some reason I thought we had mostly gotten past all of the "Hur hur look at those NERDS with their NUMBERS in their moms' basements!"

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
As if the sports part of the article wasn't bad enough,Edwin Starr didn't even loving play at Woodstock. He didn't record War until almost a year afterward.

This is clearly the biggest problem with that piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Instead of picking at the obviously ridiculous parts of that I'm going to also posit that Big Ed Delahanty was a better hitter than Chuck Klein :colbert: