Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I wouldn't. Why would you support that kind of practice? Shaw is better than Rogers is still worse than everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Especially since they appear to be out to screw the independents with low data caps claiming its to relieve congestion while simultaneously offering higher caps to their own customers as a retentions tactic. Its scummy as hell.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Michael Geist files Access to Information request into CRTC's net neutrality enforcement history lately. Discovers many complaints, minimal CRTC response.

Canada's Net Neutrality Enforcement Failure

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Yes they are bad, greedy bastards. Any adjective you can come up with , yes they deserve it.
But 100 Mbps? With a 400 or so GB cap? For a decent price?
No matter how you look at it is sweet.
Now, I would love to see competition, i would have loved to see NDP split them up in 10 pieces, and have 10 ISPs at my door tomorrow each and everyone with sweet sweet deals.
So..im taking what i can get. And now, for me, Teksavvy is the best option (as soon as i get out of the Rogers contract). Should Rogers step up their game (equal or better than Shaw), no, I'm sorry, but I'm not married with Teksavvy. I am not supporting the small guys just for the hell of it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

rhag posted:

But 100 Mbps? With a 9.1 hour or so cap? For a decent price?
No matter how you look at it is sweet.

Fixed this so you can understand how stupid it is. You'd blow that cap in 9 hours and 6 minutes if you used the speed you had. You can only use your speed for 1/80 of the month, in other terms.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

fishmech posted:

Fixed this so you can understand how stupid it is. You'd blow that cap in 9 hours and 6 minutes if you used the speed you had. You can only use your speed for 1/80 of the month, in other terms.

That is true. Compare that with 50Mbps with 175GB cap though at 99$.
Is it stupid? Yes it is.
Should "caps" be banned? Yes of course.
Do I have an alternative? Well... Teksavvy's 15Mbps unlimited is nice , but drat slow.
Who is to blame for that? As far as i know, the government, as they let Rogers (and Bell) get away with it.
So, is Shaw's offer better than Rogers? Definitely.
Is it better than Teksavvy's? Debatable. For you to have unlimited is probably essential. I would prefer to have a higher speed even with a decent (for me) download cap.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
TekSavvy and other IISPs are wrangling with Bell, Rogers, et al about their download speed. CRTC enforced that they had to open up higher speeds so everyone is working right now about it. Bell is also trying to push something new on the IISPs called AVP: Aggravated volume pricing. It's UBB wrapped up in a neat new package which has a lot to do with losing the UBB case and now being forced to give higher speeds to the IISPs.

It's very much a work in progress, but TekSavvy will be getting faster download/upload soon. How soon? Nobody knows.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

TekSavvy and other IISPs are wrangling with Bell, Rogers, et al about their download speed. CRTC enforced that they had to open up higher speeds so everyone is working right now about it. Bell is also trying to push something new on the IISPs called AVP: Aggravated volume pricing. It's UBB wrapped up in a neat new package which has a lot to do with losing the UBB case and now being forced to give higher speeds to the IISPs.

It's very much a work in progress, but TekSavvy will be getting faster download/upload soon. How soon? Nobody knows.

Does this mean the plans that already exist will become faster at all, or just that new ones will pop up?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

StealthArcher posted:

Does this mean the plans that already exist will become faster at all, or just that new ones will pop up?

No idea. We're still talking to the big ISPs. Bell doesn't want to agree to much until AVP gets accepted/shut down and the other companies are waiting too.

Seeing as when TekSavvy was about to have to accept UBB and it got overturned, they boosted their original GB limit on existing accounts, I wouldn't be surprised if similar occurs. But again, it's up in the air still. Lots of negotiation has to happen and there's a lot of CRTC stuff going on as we speak.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Did you find out anything about the Cogeco-controlled area of Oakville?

I called Distributel recently and the most I could get out of them was that things have changed very recently and they have serviced former Cogeco customers in Oakville, so I decided to sign up and try it out. I won't know for sure if it works until the technician tries to set it up, but fingers crossed.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

rhag posted:

So, is Shaw's offer better than Rogers? Definitely.
Is it better than Teksavvy's? Debatable. For you to have unlimited is probably essential. I would prefer to have a higher speed even with a decent (for me) download cap.

For the record, Shaw does have unlimited plans, and even if you go past the cap on the non-unlimited plans, it just bumps you up to the unlimited plan for that month anyway.

(Note: this is not yet active afaik (the automatic upgrading). Currently if you go over-cap pretty much nothing happens, unless you go way, way over cap, and then you will probably get a grumpy phonecall. However, once it is active, the unlimited plans are a fair bit more pricy than the teksavvy ones, so unless you absolutely need to be able to pull down a terabyte a month at over 25 Mbps, teksavvy will be cheaper.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Drakkus posted:

For the record, Shaw does have unlimited plans, and even if you go past the cap on the non-unlimited plans, it just bumps you up to the unlimited plan for that month anyway.

(Note: this is not yet active afaik (the automatic upgrading). Currently if you go over-cap pretty much nothing happens, unless you go way, way over cap, and then you will probably get a grumpy phonecall. However, once it is active, the unlimited plans are a fair bit more pricy than the teksavvy ones, so unless you absolutely need to be able to pull down a terabyte a month at over 25 Mbps, teksavvy will be cheaper.)

They don't seem to give a poo poo yet. i'm on the 750gb cap plan and hit ~1.8TB mark last month, and still only got charged $80 instead of $120. Just checked today and the "view usage" button is gone, but the bill is still the same.

For an enthusiast user, Shaw is really the best. $120 for all you can consume basically as fast as you can consume it. The only problem is they still seem to throttle during peak hours on week days, but being on 100mbit and being throttled to 50 is a little easier to swallow than paying for 25mbit and being throttled to 6.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dudebro posted:

Did you find out anything about the Cogeco-controlled area of Oakville?

I haven't got an answer because we've been sidetracked due to getting TekTalk (VoIP) launched. Sorry!

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Powershift posted:

The only problem is they still seem to throttle during peak hours on week days, but being on 100mbit and being throttled to 50 is a little easier to swallow than paying for 25mbit and being throttled to 6.

Technically speaking if your speeds are going down during peak, it's not throttling, it's straight up saturation of either the node or the backhaul leading to the node. Practically speaking, it's the same to the end user, but the former is illegal (Unless we tell you we're doing it), the latter is not. ;)

(Though the CRTC doesn't really seem to care about neutrality at the moment anyway)

(Shaw Staff, by the way. My posts are not to be taken as official statements, but this can be: )

quote:

As of: June 7, 2011
Shaw uses traffic management policies to ensure proportional access to its network for all Shaw Internet customers. Some Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications used for non real-time file sharing can consume a disproportionate amount of upstream bandwidth causing disruption to other customers on Shaw’s network. Shaw’s traffic management policies were introduced to quickly address any upstream congestion caused by these P2P applications while standard network expansion activities are undertaken to increase the bandwidth availability for all users.
Shaw’s traffic management policies come into effect only if upstream network congestion occurs on a network segment. If congestion occurs, the traffic management policies reduce the amount of upstream bandwidth available for P2P applications completing non real-time file transfer activity to 80 kbps per end-user.
Shaw’s traffic management policies do not affect download speeds and will not affect real-time interactive activities such as on-line gaming, banking, e-mail or VoIP services. For the majority of Shaw customers the Internet experience is unaffected by our traffic management policies and both upstream and downstream bandwidth will be available to ensure the full operation of any application.
The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw use IP addresses to make real-time traffic management decisions in relation to Shaw’s network. Since IP addresses have the potential to be linked to an individual’s customer account, IP addresses could be considered personal information. The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw do not involve capturing, storing or archiving this information in any way.

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008
CRTC hearing going on now with Bell

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/streaming/stream1-eng.htm

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
Well after dealing with tekksavvy for 2 days on orders i can't even believe i bothered with this. Now i'm out $300 i wont have service for upto 2 weeks and i get a lovely old modem that i will have to throw away in a year. Really there is no reason at all to bother with this company.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

jizzpowered posted:

CRTC hearing going on now with Bell

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/streaming/stream1-eng.htm

I've never listened to one of these before... so awkward... and smarmy from time to time.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sprawl posted:

Well after dealing with tekksavvy for 2 days on orders i can't even believe i bothered with this. Now i'm out $300 i wont have service for upto 2 weeks and i get a lovely old modem that i will have to throw away in a year. Really there is no reason at all to bother with this company.

One bad thing happens, we don't have the full details of either side, and we're supposed to abandon a great company? Sorry, not happening.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Pweller posted:

I've never listened to one of these before... so awkward... and smarmy from time to time.

I'm guessing you heard Marko Bibic talk.

I'd feel bad for him if it wasn't for the fact he's clearly well paid.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Rawrbomb posted:

One bad thing happens, we don't have the full details of either side, and we're supposed to abandon a great company? Sorry, not happening.

1 bad thing? no there was a series of 4 bad things.

I was supposed to get a dociss 3 modem and now i'm going to be stuck with a SB5102

They went ahead and billed me for that modem and said oh you should get a credit the next bill. Because on my original order i was getting a different one.

It was supposed to be installed tomorrow ish, now its delayed upto 2 weeks and they'll get back to me.

And the tech that did all that didn't even bother to try to phone me to explain what in the hell was going on. I saw a few emails go by and one said they couldn't get a hold of me despite the fact i had my phone beside me the entire time.

Just a really shady loving company.

I never had any of these issues with telus or shaw despite the gently caress they are both shithole companies.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Teksavvy is going through some growing pains but they are generally very customer service oriented. Your experience is an outlier, it happens but it's not the norm. You should definitely escalate the issue to a supervisor so that they can properly take care of things here. I had a similar experience when I moved, things up to that had been fine but there was a mistake in the transition and I wasn't happy with the result. In the end I ended up switching ISPs due to a line profile dispute with Bell but Teksavvy refunded me a bunch of money and went the extra mile.

Anyway give it a shot, it sounds like you're owed something there to me. If nothing else works use the direct support forum on dslreports or contact that Teksavvy goon who posts in this thread.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 11, 2011

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Installs AFAIK are all fubard with your local major ISP. So if it was cable, rogers/etc is the one at fault for not putting the line in.

I opted to buy my own modem, the price paid was less than what I would have paid them + the discount.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Sprawl posted:

1 bad thing? no there was a series of 4 bad things.

I was supposed to get a dociss 3 modem and now i'm going to be stuck with a SB5102

They went ahead and billed me for that modem and said oh you should get a credit the next bill. Because on my original order i was getting a different one.

It was supposed to be installed tomorrow ish, now its delayed upto 2 weeks and they'll get back to me.

And the tech that did all that didn't even bother to try to phone me to explain what in the hell was going on. I saw a few emails go by and one said they couldn't get a hold of me despite the fact i had my phone beside me the entire time.

Just a really shady loving company.

I never had any of these issues with telus or shaw despite the gently caress they are both shithole companies.

Complain on the DSLReports forums. It'll get fixed in no time.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

EngineerJoe posted:

Complain on the DSLReports forums. It'll get fixed in no time.

That's what I was about to suggest. I'm no TSR. They'll get things figured out for you. Just try to change your tone a bit. We'll treat you fair either way but it's regular people up there who want to help you so you keep our service. No need to make their day any worse by cussing up a storm.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Does anyone else barely care about the download speed and is more angered by the limited bandwidth? I can't even download GTA 4 (30 gbs) without using up 30% of my monthly allocation.

I can write a clear and concise letter to my MP about how bandwidth is an almost unlimited resource and that some government regulation is required to fix the unchecked greed, but I can't help but feel that it will have zero effect, for obvious reasons.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Pr0phecy posted:

Does anyone else barely care about the download speed and is more angered by the limited bandwidth? I can't even download GTA 4 (30 gbs) without using up 30% of my monthly allocation.

I can write a clear and concise letter to my MP about how bandwidth is an almost unlimited resource and that some government regulation is required to fix the unchecked greed, but I can't help but feel that it will have zero effect, for obvious reasons.

Yeah. I'm fine with something like 15mbps service, but in order to get a decent transfer allocation I have to purchase EXTREME 250 MEGABIT CABLE EXPRESS PLUS or something.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

The Gunslinger posted:

Teksavvy is going through some growing pains but they are generally very customer service oriented. Your experience is an outlier, it happens but it's not the norm. You should definitely escalate the issue to a supervisor so that they can properly take care of things here. I had a similar experience when I moved, things up to that had been fine but there was a mistake in the transition and I wasn't happy with the result. In the end I ended up switching ISPs due to a line profile dispute with Bell but Teksavvy refunded me a bunch of money and went the extra mile.

Anyway give it a shot, it sounds like you're owed something there to me. If nothing else works use the direct support forum on dslreports or contact that Teksavvy goon who posts in this thread.
It's not the only time I've overheard something like this. Teksavvy isn't as shady as, say, Bell...but customers shouldn't be paying for an SB5102, and customers should be kept in the loop if there are delays.

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

Pr0phecy posted:

On the bright side there was a CRTC meeting yesterday morning with Bell, and it went pretty well. The CRTC is actually starting to understand whats going on.

quote:

CRTC Chair Konrad von Finckenstein asked why - if Bell was facing network congestion - sister company Bell Aliant has not implemented UBB. Bell argued that Bell Aliant "supported" UBB, but acknowledged that competitive forces and marketplace conditions in Atlantic Canada were such that UBB is currently not needed.

Their approach isn't a function of congestion, but rather competition. In fact, when Bell was asked whether it planned to keep data caps for its retail customers, it responded that it did, subject to "competitive dynamics." The effects of competition was further confirmed when Telus appeared as it noted that it doesn't use UBB, it isn't a pressing issue, and that competition with Shaw has led to far more generous plans than those found in other parts of the country.

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5925/125/

After that the CRTC actually sounded a little pissed off at Bell.

Meeting is on again, OpenMedia is talking now.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/streaming/stream1-floor.htm

jizzpowered fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 12, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

less than three posted:

Yeah. I'm fine with something like 15mbps service, but in order to get a decent transfer allocation I have to purchase EXTREME 250 MEGABIT CABLE EXPRESS PLUS or something.

This was what I was trying to get across when I pointed out the guy with a 100 mbit connection could only use it for 9 hours before overrunning the cap. Is it really so much to ask that if you pay an ISP for 30 days of internet service and a certain speed, you could at least use that speed for say, 2 hours a day before you exceed the cap? For example, that means a 395 GB cap for 15 megabit service, 131 GB for 5 megabit service, etc.

Not to mention - if you ran a 56k modem at full utilization up and down (which works out to 64 kbps combined incidentally) you could pull 19.8 GB a month. The fact that there are plans in Canada right now for home internet service that are lower than that or even only 3 times as big or less is just plain wrong.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
There is nothing wrong with using a Motorola SB5100. They are rock solid and easily handle teksavvy's fastest service.

On the other hand it won't handle much beyond that since it is a DOCSIS 2 modem.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
If any of you have been missing the CRTC hearing, goto http://twitter.com/!/search/realtime/%23UBB or follow @mgeist and @anotherkady.

There's been some weird issues with it during the CNOC portion. I have a feeling stuff will get missed. I blame Bell.

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008
Actually seems like there might be a big change coming the CRTC are actually listening and understanding what's going on with all the small ISP's and how much bullshit Bell has been spreading.

Next monday there is going to be a debate between Bell and some small ISP's to see who is exaggerating. Should be interesting to see what Bell has to say.

jizzpowered fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 12, 2011

l33t HAXOR
Jun 21, 2000

Whats the matter, You dont like Fuckin Pearl Jam?
How did those last 2 witnesses get to testify to the CRTC? If your going to testify at least have your facts and sources straight and answer the questions you are asked.
The last guy could have responded to the question shouldn't people pay for the amount of data they? use by reminding them that bits are not a limited resource and the speed, utilization % and the total number of connections is what is important for dealing with congestion instead of ranting about how much Bell's CEO makes.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

We added some new high speed packages.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Do you know if/when you'll be getting faster/better Cable packages?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

thexerox123 posted:

Do you know if/when you'll be getting faster/better Cable packages?

These actually sneaked up on me. That should answer your question.

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

Lone Rogue posted:

LOVE YOU.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

:woop: When I get a raise I'm upgrading my DSL service. Thanks for the news!

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

Do you know why all of a sudden this happened? Was this always possible and you guys just never had the tech or did Bell just say " Ya you're allowed higher speeds now".

If it's the latter i'm guessing it's because of the poo poo storm going down now. And once that 25/7 DSL is up good loving bye Videotron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

jizzpowered posted:

Do you know why all of a sudden this happened? Was this always possible and you guys just never had the tech or did Bell just say " Ya you're allowed higher speeds now".

If it's the latter i'm guessing it's because of the poo poo storm going down now. And once that 25/7 DSL is up good loving bye Videotron.

Well, it didn't, "All of a sudden just happen" since I mentioned earlier that we were waiting for the go ahead on this stuff and wrangling with Bell. This was something that the CRTC agreed we deserved *last year*, actually right before the UBB decision that got overturned. It was pretty hilarious. CRTC made a decision that the big telecoms hated (IISP deserved matching speeds) and then right away made a decision the big telecoms loved to smooth it over (IISP have to enforce UBB). It's really the biggest issue with CRTC decisions. They always try to find a compromise instead of trying to make the best decision for Canadians.

It snuck up on me because there was no memo of when it was going out. Maybe for the CSRs/TSRs but there wasn't even anything on the Intranet posted. Then again, I got Intranet access so I might end up posting it for TSI employees that don't know about it. It just surprised me that we decided to just slide it in under the radar. I expect the cable speeds will be similar.

Then again, maybe it shouldn't surprise me. VoIP is being introduced on DSLReports before we introduce it to the public, so being under the radar to start seems to be our MO on a lot of stuff.