Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Completed my Subaru A/C project, the result: 420 blow ice cubes with Freon 12 everyday. I think I'll have the windows tinted, not very dark as the car is already ricey enough with its 2.5in exhaust and gold wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's awesome, I should do something like that as a run-up to my ramps - my MS3's low air dam rubs before my wheels hit the ramp unless I drive onto some plywood first.

Is it as bad as the HIDs on the 3? Step 1: Remove front bumper.

I was worried that's what it would be like. The projectors are nearly outside of the front tires! Thankfully these can be done in situ. But getting the clip undone on the bulb is a bear, seeing that it's inside the fender.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Started out by finally renting a Rug Doctor and cleaning the back seat - it was stained with soda and looked horrible. Then realized the back seat now looked really clean and the others looked terrible in comparison. Took over 2 hours, 1 of those spent solely on the front passenger seat. As soon as I hit that seat with the rug doctor it turned dark brown :wtf: (my upholstery is gray), whoever had this car before me was a dirty motherfucker.

Finally got a complete set of hubcaps that don't look absolutely terrible. Wonder if Discount will shatter these next time my tires get rotated, fuckers broke 3 out of 4 last time. :argh: I realize they were old, but goddamn you'd think they'd be a little more careful after breaking 1.

Looking for a front bumper cover now, and probably either a polishing kit or new headlamp housings. I'm guessing these were polished before I got the car, they looked new when I got it and look like rear end now (1 year later).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Doing a full brake replacement on my shitbox 99 Protege, and what do I see?

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that should still be connected. Wonder what the other side looks like...

Oh. Maybe the sway bar not being connected to anything is why the front end shakes so bad at highway speeds.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Oh. Maybe the sway bar not being connected to anything is why the front end shakes so bad at highway speeds.
It shouldn't have anything to do with it. Check tire balance, check wheels for bending/damage, try to rotate the wheels to see if the shaking follows a wheel, jack it up and see if you can shake the wheels, check for bad control arm bushings ball joints and wheel bearings.

niec
Mar 23, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Well it was technically yesterday but I installed a 3.5" core front mount intercooler on my Evo IX. While I had the bumper off I resprayed all the grills because of how beat up they were from various rock chips and other road debris. Taking off the undertray and front bumper was a pain in the rear end though. I never want to see one of those plastic rivet style screws ever again.

Before:
http://i.imgur.com/x6gjk.jpg

After:
http://i.imgur.com/onhhG.jpg

Tomorrow it's going in for a 60k service (waterpump, timing belt etc.), cams, springs, retainers, injectors and a fresh dyno tune.

Also my brothers (stock!) 98 Eclipse GSX stopped shifting into anything past 2nd so hoping for an easy fix we flushed the transmission fluid. The stuff that came out of it was black and disgusting but we didn't see any metal shavings or flakes. Once the new oil went in it shifted perfectly.

A good, productive day.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
94+ 300zx and all 2+2 that did not come with a spoler have a third brake light which is directly above the head lights and spans them horizontally. It is a much nicer look than the 90-93 spoiler and tail light combo. Concept Z Performance sells a $20 black vinyl stripe which goes below the spoiler to improve the look of the turbo spoiler and tail light combo.

Here is my stock look:

Here is how it looks now:

Really need to get my rear bumper painted..

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Paul Boz_ posted:

94+ 300zx and all 2+2 that did not come with a spoler have a third brake light which is directly above the head lights and spans them horizontally. It is a much nicer look than the 90-93 spoiler and tail light combo. Concept Z Performance sells a $20 black vinyl stripe which goes below the spoiler to improve the look of the turbo spoiler and tail light combo.

Here is my stock look:

Here is how it looks now:

Really need to get my rear bumper painted..

You need to get rid of those drat fart cannons.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Rhyno posted:

You need to get rid of those drat fart cannons.

No I don't. There's nothing wrong with my exhaust. It sounds great, isn't loud, and looks fine. HKS POWER.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Just ordered coilovers. With this and my new exhaust on the way, it's shaping up to be quite the summer for my car.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Full inspection on the ITR, including a check of the timing belt and valve clearances. The belt looks ok, but needs replacing.

Then charged the battery, took it out for a spin and car wash.

Now I'm pulling CV axles out of a 89 Integra and replacing them, heat index is 105. Blech.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Man that is a beautiful top end. You keep that car so drat clean.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

niec posted:

Well it was technically yesterday but I installed a 3.5" core front mount intercooler on my Evo IX. While I had the bumper off I resprayed all the grills because of how beat up they were from various rock chips and other road debris. Taking off the undertray and front bumper was a pain in the rear end though. I never want to see one of those plastic rivet style screws ever again.

Weird, I had thought you were from California from your autocross video. What site was that at again?

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Ugh, found out the passenger side axle boot on my Accord is torn. I just finished replacing the ball joint and wheel bearing on that wheel so I obviously screwed something up.

What's ridiculous is that it is $50 cheaper to buy one from Rock Auto and drive 200km to pick it up than to buy one locally.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Detailed two of the three that are in 'would drive farther than a block' condition. Replaced my aftermarket cheapo floormats with OEM rubber mats I got off of CL for a pittance. The 2000 is back to 100% stock, with the exception of not-year-correct centercaps, but I don't really feel they're worth the rape fee.

Them cars be so clean and shiny!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

trouser chili posted:

Now I'm pulling CV axles out of a 89 Integra and replacing them, heat index is 105. Blech.

Heat index hit 120, CV axles did not want to leave the car, but I made them, eventually. The ball joints were all crusty and didn't want to separate. Once separated, the castle nuts would spin the ball. I didn't realize this, but 1989 Integras have torsion beam front springs. That was interesting, and added a different element of challenge to the job. I used a suicide jack to reconnect the lower balls. After completing the passenger side and failing to install the driver's side, I came to realize I was putting the wrong CV axle in each side. So now I get to do the whole job again. I quit for the day, feeling light-headed and really tired.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

trouser chili posted:

That was on Friday - it was 88 when I woke up that morning at 4 loving am. gently caress this summer.

Though I'm still trying to figure out how the heat index was lower than the actual temp..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 11, 2011

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

heat posted:

Isn't replacing something like that with some random poo poo from the hardware store a really bad idea?

The rounded off bolt was a grade 10.9 (142ksi tensile). I replaced it with a grade 8 bolt (150ksi tensile). It should be OK.

Anyway, the Volvo's been making a racket and I figured I had a pretty good exhaust leak. Sure enough, right at the rear O2 sensor, I found an enormous crack. Sanded the rust off and wrapped it in exhaust tape and she's good to go.

I also tried replacing the rear O2 sensor since it hasn't been providing a signal for some time, but it bested me. Fucker's seized something good. I'll get back to it later.

Also, just because I can, a screenshot of totally awesome poo poo (tm) from work:

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 11, 2011

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Though I'm still trying to figure out how the heat index was lower than the actual temp..

A little breeze can make a big difference.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mr.Peabody posted:

A little breeze can make a big difference.

I'm relatively sure if he wears daisy dukes and a baby tee, he's still going to get jumped - even if he IS holding a wrench.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I checked fitment of my new 15mm spacers. The wheels are Mangels, made in Brazil. I got them for free with one flat spotted Kumho V710. My plan is to run these as summer wheels for my 318.

Also, I had the front valence and lip of my 325is repainted after some autocross damage.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Lightbulb Out posted:

Also, I had the front valence and lip of my 325is repainted after some autocross damage.

I'll never understand why people value the smiley headlights so much. I think the regular ellipsoids look a lot cleaner. Cool car though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Viggen posted:

I'm relatively sure if he wears daisy dukes and a baby tee, he's still going to get jumped - even if he IS holding a wrench.

Last time I tried that I was told that muffintops and man boobs don't go well with baby tees. And chest hair is still up for debate.

But I totally have the rear end for daisy dukes. :butt:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Lowclock posted:

I'll never understand why people value the smiley headlights so much. I think the regular ellipsoids look a lot cleaner. Cool car though.

It's a euro thing. I think they look a lot neater than the regular ellipsoids.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

CornHolio posted:

The rounded off bolt was a grade 10.9 (142ksi tensile). I replaced it with a grade 8 bolt (150ksi tensile). It should be OK.

That's good, also I think I mixed up the bolt you replaced with the much bigger and far more important ones that actually hold the calipers onto the car, my bad!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

heat posted:

That's good, also I think I mixed up the bolt you replaced with the much bigger and far more important ones that actually hold the calipers onto the car, my bad!

These were the bigger bolts, holding the carrier to the knuckle. The ones that hold the caliper to the carrier are smaller though I don't know their strength.

It doesn't really seem like either set of bolts would really take all that much load though, apart from whatever braking force is being applied. Unless I'm imagining it wrong in my head...

niec
Mar 23, 2004
STUPID
DICK

kimbo305 posted:

Weird, I had thought you were from California from your autocross video. What site was that at again?

I think you've got me confused with somebody else. I know there's a few other Evo owners here.

Anyways I dropped it off today to get all the rest of the work done. Hopefully by week's end I'll have another 60 or so whp/torque to play with.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Did the oil/fluids in the last of the trio that are drivable. Looks like it might start weeping from around the crank even though it's been treated well it's whole life. Glad it's under warranty still. :downsgun:

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

CornHolio posted:

These were the bigger bolts, holding the carrier to the knuckle. The ones that hold the caliper to the carrier are smaller though I don't know their strength.

It doesn't really seem like either set of bolts would really take all that much load though, apart from whatever braking force is being applied. Unless I'm imagining it wrong in my head...

You're imagining it wrong. When you go to stop or slow down, the weight of your entire car is attempting to continue forward and continue turning the wheels. Your car is attempting to rip its own brakes off every time you use them and those bolts are the only thing stopping that from happening.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Breast Pussy posted:

You're imagining it wrong. When you go to stop or slow down, the weight of your entire car is attempting to continue forward and continue turning the wheels. Your car is attempting to rip its own brakes off every time you use them and those bolts are the only thing stopping that from happening.

If they break free of the bolts the inside edge of the wheel will keep them from ripping off completely. Been there. They sort of act like half disc-brake, half drum, using the outside edge of the caliper as the shoes and the inside edge of the wheel as the drum. I don't recommend it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Breast Pussy posted:

Ah, OK that makes sense I think. Though the disc would slip on the friction pan before a whole lot of force was applied at the bolt, right? It's not like somebody is sticking a stick through imaginary spokes in the wheel (which would stop the wheel immediately and throwing the entire momentum of the vehicle on those bolts), it's just the friction pads squeezing against the rotor, so there'd be a limit to how much force is applied to each bolt rather than the weight of the entire car. I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I mean it doesn't really matter since I used roughly the same grade bolt to replace it, but I did always wonder why those bolts were always so large.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

trouser chili posted:

If they break free of the bolts the inside edge of the wheel will keep them from ripping off completely. Been there. They sort of act like half disc-brake, half drum, using the outside edge of the caliper as the shoes and the inside edge of the wheel as the drum. I don't recommend it.

If the opposite bolt falls out or breaks, it uses the inside of your rim. It doesn't go well with aluminum wheels. Just trust me on that one.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

CornHolio posted:

I mean it doesn't really matter since I used roughly the same grade bolt to replace it, but I did always wonder why those bolts were always so large.

The torque spec is pretty drat high as well - 80 ft-lbs for my car

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

CornHolio posted:

Some things are worth over-engineering.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Wrestled the radiator out of the truck (thing took over an hour to drain!), borrowed my dad's truck to take it to the radiator shop. Sign on the door says they're closed all this week. :doh:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
replaced my 12V outlet fuse after a PENNY somehow fell into my outlet and literally fused itself in there, causing much sparkage. Still don't know how it happened, now I have a cool charred and deformed penny.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CornHolio posted:

replaced my 12V outlet fuse after a PENNY somehow fell into my outlet and literally fused itself in there, causing much sparkage. Still don't know how it happened, now I have a cool charred and deformed penny.

"It was a million to one shot, Doc. Million to one."

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Grenaded the shifter in the Scirocco so I could put the golf ball in my Golf :v:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
That looks cool but seems like it would be uncomfortable to shift with unless it's just an automatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Lowclock posted:

That looks cool but seems like it would be uncomfortable to shift with unless it's just an automatic.

Its a 5 speed but I positioned it so it seems like it will be comfortable enough. The palm of my hand pushes against the handle for forward and one finger goes around the round top part to pull back so it seems like it should be ok. I'll give it some time and see how it goes. For now I'm just going to sit in it and make engine noises and do mental burnouts in all 5 gears.