Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

the gulper caper posted:

unending praise

:siren: GEORGE R R MARTIN ACCOUNT SPOTTED :siren:

You understand that people are calling it a failure because the main plotlines seemingly go nowhere, and actually regress in one case? Maybe that Selmy poo poo is really awesome, but people mostly care about Tyrion, Jon, and Dany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Holy poo poo I can't believe it's out tomorrow.

I tried to re-read all the books before then but only managed to get through the second one (had little time to read as of late... :negative:)

Oh well, at least I have synopses on Wikipedia...

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'm not sure I understand Dany's ending from what I've heard about it. Is she actually heading west "permanently" or just taking a dragon-enabled day trip?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
It seems like a lot of people who don't like the book haven't read it yet.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I just finished my series re-read with AFfC this morning. I had forgotten about the last page. The one that reads, in summary, "Hey everyone I had to cut half of the book out, but don't you worry, it will most likely come out next year. Cheerio, Absolute Fucker, February 2005."

What an absolute fucker.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
So, wait

This whole thread

The entire thread

is full of dudes who just absolutely hate the poo poo out of GRRM and A Song of Ice and Fire but keep reading the books?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Habibi posted:

I just finished my series re-read with AFfC this morning. I had forgotten about the last page. The one that reads, in summary, "Hey everyone I had to cut half of the book out, but don't you worry, it will most likely come out next year. Cheerio, Absolute Fucker, February 2005."

What an absolute fucker.

You know, he's apologized for that about a dozen times.

Yes, it's annoying it took close to 6 years for the second half of a book he originally split to come out. We're all a little peeved about it. At some point though doesn't it just become a little tiresome to keep bitching about it? That horse is beyond dead. It's corpse has long decayed and even the bones have been carried off by scavengers - it's time to move on.

Tonight - when the book actually comes out - would be a good time to do so, don't you all think? Plenty of stuff to bitch about in the new book, I imagine.

Red Cat
Nov 4, 2008

Habibi posted:

What an absolute fucker.

Due to the large viewership of the HBO series, this scenario is almost certainly happening right now: somewhere there is some guy who just started reading the books for the first time a few weeks back. He saw the HBO series, went to a used bookstore, and bought them all. Today, July 11, 2011, he finished A Feast for Crows and got to "Meanwhile, Back on the Wall...". He's like, "poo poo, when do I get to learn about Dany, Jon and Tyrion?" A quick Google shows that "A Dance with Dragons" comes out tomorrow -- what marvelous luck! -- so he goes to the store the next day and buys it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SlipkPIe posted:

So, wait

This whole thread

The entire thread

is full of dudes who just absolutely hate the poo poo out of GRRM and A Song of Ice and Fire but keep reading the books?

No. Wild Cards came together in mutual appreciation for rape, underage sex, and descriptions of food.

We all bow in reverence to the great girth of the GRRM.

That absolute fucker.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

SlipkPIe posted:

So, wait

This whole thread

The entire thread

The books are great. GRRM is the problem. If only we could take him out of the equation and assemble a team of authors to finish the series in his stead, in a timely fashion. Bret Easton Ellis can handle the creepy sex, clearly, so he's in.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

SlipkPIe posted:

So, wait

This whole thread

The entire thread

We don't hate A Song of Ice and Fire at all. If you had waited a whole six years for a book that seems to consist of a lot of filler, you might be a little upset too. I plan on finishing this whole series to the end no matter what (if there ever is an end)

I am pleased that the Jon chapters look interesting at least and have him try to accomplish something. Tyrion's seem to consist of him being a complete loving goon to all the women he meets. Dany had been an increasing disappointment and it sounds like she has regressed so far back that I am considering skipping her chapters all together.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

SlipkPIe posted:

So, wait

This whole thread

The entire thread

As is the case with many (most) discussion forums, there is little room for the middle on any given topic. Either you love something unconditionally, find it without flaw (or the occasional token flaw that in no way diminishes the majesty of whatever it is), and are total, slobbering, blind fanboy who honestly believes that anyone who thinks otherwise has a severe mental condition that requires medication to treat
- or -
whatever the topic is, is the worst thing ever produced, said, or thought. Worse than nuclear war or the black plague; a stain upon humanity. It is punishment sent by God for the sins of man, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a simpering suck-rear end who's opinion on all topics, related or otherwise, can hereby be rendered moot.

Whether it's politics, cars, tv shows, books, philosopy, or religion, it's all the same: there is one Right Answer, and everything else is Wrong. Nothing really new here; it's been like this forever. In the case of this book, the fact that no one has had much to do in the last 6 years but bitch about how long it has taken while re-reading the existing books and finding new flaws with them (familiarity, as always, breeding contempt) has led us to the current situation, where hating the books, and the author, is considered high sport, with points awarded for extra creativity.

Hopefully now that we have a new book the thread can evolve in to discussing it, but the vitriol train has been running for so long now it's going to be hard to stop.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Red Cat posted:

Due to the large viewership of the HBO series, this scenario is almost certainly happening right now: somewhere there is some guy who just started reading the books for the first time a few weeks back. He saw the HBO series, went to a used bookstore, and bought them all. Today, July 11, 2011, he finished A Feast for Crows and got to "Meanwhile, Back on the Wall...". He's like, "poo poo, when do I get to learn about Dany, Jon and Tyrion?" A quick Google shows that "A Dance with Dragons" comes out tomorrow -- what marvelous luck! -- so he goes to the store the next day and buys it.

Joke's on those new-fan assholes when they have to wait 7 years for Winds of Winter.

Their bitter tears and weeping wails of "when is book 6 coming out?" is going to be the driving force behind every masturbation session I have from here on.

Until the GRUM eats himself to death while blogging about football, leaving the series, unlike any meal that has ever been placed before him, unfinished. The desecration of his grave will serve as a bitter reminder to authors that they should write first, and attend creepy conventions where they grope the underage female attendants when they're finished.

God drat fat fucker.

e: all will be forgiven if we get a Hodor POV.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 11, 2011

cuddlefish
Nov 11, 2003

That was a game.

This is paintball.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The books are great. GRRM is the problem. If only we could take him out of the equation and assemble a team of authors to finish the series in his stead, in a timely fashion. Bret Easton Ellis can handle the creepy sex, clearly, so he's in.

All told from the perspective of the :zombie: Mountain.

I can't remember if I raped her before. Did I rape her already? Huuuuuu

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Ixian posted:

Hopefully now that we have a new book the thread can evolve in to discussing it, but the vitriol train has been running for so long now it's going to be hard to stop.

We just need a new bad thread so that those people can post there and the other people can post here.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 11, 2011

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

the gulper caper posted:

It's not? It's never explicitly stated that he has been castrated and he only goes down on her the one time.

What else could this previously quoted passage mean:

quote:

Ramsay rose, the firelight shining on his face. "Reek, get over here. Get her ready for me."
For a moment he did not understand. " I...do you mean...m'lord, I have no...I.."
"With your mouth," Lord Ramsay said.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
It's been awhile, thread.

I literally just finished a feast for crows and have been avoiding these threads at all costs.

TOMORROW HELL SHALL RING

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Sexpansion posted:

We just need a new bad thread so that those people can post there and the other people can post here.

The spoiler-free thread has been great about serious discussion and asking actual questions as opposed to calling for the blood of the author every other post. They are also normal human beings who understand how the spoiler blocks on this forum work and will not complain if you post them unlike another certain spoiler-free thread.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

SlipkPIe posted:

So, wait

This whole thread

The entire thread

Nah. It's full of people who are just really loving annoyed with how long it's taken him to get the last two books out, and the litany of excuses / diversions that have preceded them.

Ixian posted:

You know, he's apologized for that about a dozen times.

Apologies squeezed out between bites of cake and bacon don't count. :colbert:

quote:

Yes, it's annoying it took close to 6 years for the second half of a book he originally split to come out. We're all a little peeved about it. At some point though doesn't it just become a little tiresome to keep bitching about it? That horse is beyond dead. It's corpse has long decayed and even the bones have been carried off by scavengers - it's time to move on.
Eh, it's not like I've been bitching about it for years. I've been annoyed for years, but have posted maybe twice about it. This just came up because I just finished AFfC and it reminded me what his initial projection was.

quote:

Tonight - when the book actually comes out - would be a good time to do so, don't you all think? Plenty of stuff to bitch about in the new book, I imagine.

I just hope the last page isn't all, "Hey guys expect the next book next year!" again. We'll have enough bitching about the length of time it'll take even without that provocation.

the gulper caper
Feb 22, 2004
tastes like candy

:siren: GEORGE R R MARTIN ACCOUNT SPOTTED :siren:

You understand that people are calling it a failure because the main plotlines seemingly go nowhere, and actually regress in one case? Maybe that Selmy poo poo is really awesome, but people mostly care about Tyrion, Jon, and Dany.

Alright, well the first two do advance, and I would say Dany's does too, unless your only criteria for her progressing is getting from essos to westoros and not how her character changes in between. And if you're dismayed that I'm not being more critical it's because I read with the belief (perhaps erroneously) that the book is supposed to be complementary to AFFC, so I wasn't disappointed when Dany, Tyrion, and Jon didn't storm king's landing on dragons to reclaim the iron throne. ADWD doesn't wrap up the ASOIAF series, but it does reconnect major characters to the post-ASOS world and moves the story where the next major war is on the horizon.

I've always enjoyed the minor characters more than Tyrion, Jon, or Dany (Jaime, Tywin, and Peytr are my favorites in that order), so maybe I wasn't expecting much from them. I was disappointed that Jaime only had one chapter, but it's cool because he got to shine some in AFFC.

edit:
too much unending praise. for the sake of balance: sansa and catelyn are vapid cunts, brienne is morally unipolar, not enough tyrion + bronn, and pretend i made an esoteric joke about lemon cakes or wildcards here <~~~

the gulper caper fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 11, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

e: all will be forgiven if we get a Hodor POV.
"Hodor hodored the hodor to the hodor. The hodor riding in a hodor on his hodor put a hodor on his hodor, hodoring him to hodor up and hodor for the other hodors. Hodor."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

A Hodor POV would be filled with the most prosaic of prose, artfully constructed facades of shadow illuminating the long night of war blanketting the Seven Kingdoms. His thoughts would run deeper than any ocean, the breadth of his understanding wider than any sea, his ability to cut through the gossamer bullshit of others like a blade sharpened to a molecular edge.

And all his dialogue would be "Hodor."

A poet, a scholar, a philosopher. All these and more, locked away in a cage of meat and bone, never to be let out.

Truly, Hodor is the tragic hero of our story.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Pedro De Heredia posted:

What else could this previously quoted passage mean:

It's a weird thing to leave ambiguous, though. I'm no dude but if I was I feel like my POV chapters would be 12 pages of THIS DUDE CUT OFF MY DICK and not mumbling in the back of my cell wondering where a few of my fingers and toes went.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Contra Calculus posted:

Good god, Gurm isn't even trying with Ramsay or any of the Boltons really. They're so hilariously over-the-top. Seriously, they live in a place called "The Dreadfort," they have a family tradition of skinning people and then wearing their skins, and they have a loving flayed man as their house sigil. Top it all off by having them murder/torture some of the main characters and there you go. Remember when he wrote villainous characters that were still somewhat sympathetic?
The thing is i think GRRM is obviously building up Ramsay as Sansa's main antagonist in the North. Yeah now we just need Sandor Clegane Knight of the Cart and we have the whole Good Virginal Queen/Evil Rapist Lord/Brave White Knight package for Sansa to live a real fairy tale* story. But for the first three books i suspected that GRRM was going to use Gregor as the Evil Rapist Lord, so i guess it may be wishful thinking from my part.

*because GRRM knows good fairy tales are all about RAPE.

Stardunk
Jan 19, 2009

Yes, it's really good.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Taschenrechner posted:

Yes, it's really good.

Is it out in most German stores now? Would've driven to Leer or Emden if I had known earlier today.

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

commish posted:

Midnight pacific, to be exact. Which is unfortunate...

What the gently caress? This is one last kick in the nuts

Everyone knows the world revolves around the goddamn east coast

Stardunk
Jan 19, 2009

Koesj posted:

Is it out in most German stores now? Would've driven to Leer or Emden if I had known earlier today.

No, I am in Northeastern Pennsylvania.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

Ixian posted:

At some point though doesn't it just become a little tiresome to keep bitching about it?

At some point doesn't it just become a bit tiresome to come to the bad thread and tell people what is OK to post about?

I see a ton of book talk going on... maybe there should be a separate thread for people who want to bitch about the bad thread.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

A Hodor POV would be filled with the most prosaic of prose, artfully constructed facades of shadow illuminating the long night of war blanketting the Seven Kingdoms. His thoughts would run deeper than any ocean, the breadth of his understanding wider than any sea, his ability to cut through the gossamer bullshit of others like a blade sharpened to a molecular edge.

And all his dialogue would be "Hodor."

A poet, a scholar, a philosopher. All these and more, locked away in a cage of meat and bone, never to be let out.

Truly, Hodor is the tragic hero of our story.

How is a dead dude going to have a POV?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Taschenrechner posted:

No, I am in Northeastern Pennsylvania.

Got a friend in the area, or state, at least, tipped him about that. Thanks. I'm still stuck waiting for Amazon, myself, through.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

uncle jimbo posted:

How is a dead dude going to have a POV?

As Lady Stoneheart's stalwart vassal, Ser Glisteningmanhood, of course!

Stardunk
Jan 19, 2009

neongrey posted:

Got a friend in the area, or state, at least, tipped him about that. Thanks. I'm still stuck waiting for Amazon, myself, through.

Sorry to disappoint, but I didn't get it in a store, it came early from Amazon.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Oh, oh well. I'll let him know then before he heads out into the apparently burning heat.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Red Cat posted:

I literally finished book 4 last night, and laughed at the note at the end.

I had to deal with the Dark Tower series wait, so I can kind of sympathize. However, the difference there is that King's auto accident and writing falling off of a cliff as a result has tempered my expectations of any long-going series. Now, I don't get as worked up for waits any more; although if it had been like 10 years ago, I'd be pissed at GRRM as well.

I mean, even now, I'm not really excited; I'm actually somewhat dreading having to wade through Dany chapters again.

Reading through the books for the first time in quick succession also probably makes it easier to see GRRM's "gimmicks." After a while, some of them get annoying - mainly the "this person hears accurate information that would help them out tremendously but does not believe it" and "I'll purposely make you get attached to a P.O.V. character and the moment that you do, I'll kill them or have something horrible happen to them for a nut-punch to the reader!"

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

:unsmith:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The only thing I regret is having to lug around a 1000 page hardcover for the next few days. :(

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
http://isadancewithdragonsoutyet.com/

Someone email the webmaster.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Darko posted:

I literally finished book 4 last night, and laughed at the note at the end.

I had to deal with the Dark Tower series wait, so I can kind of sympathize. However, the difference there is that King's auto accident and writing falling off of a cliff as a result has tempered my expectations of any long-going series. Now, I don't get as worked up for waits any more; although if it had been like 10 years ago, I'd be pissed at GRRM as well.
Never having read King I have to ask out of curiosity: his writing falling off is attriibuted to a car accident?

quote:

I mean, even now, I'm not really excited; I'm actually somewhat dreading having to wade through Dany chapters again.
I wasn't before, but having seen some of the spoilers, I'm dreading her chapters now. :( I probably shouldn't be, but still...

quote:

Reading through the books for the first time in quick succession also probably makes it easier to see GRRM's "gimmicks." After a while, some of them get annoying - mainly the "this person hears accurate information that would help them out tremendously but does not believe it" and "I'll purposely make you get attached to a P.O.V. character and the moment that you do, I'll kill them or have something horrible happen to them for a nut-punch to the reader!"
This isn't really a gimmick. A good author will get you attached to a character whether he means to off them or not. And when you get down to it, way more characters whom you're not attached to get killed off than those whom you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Fatkraken posted:

http://isadancewithdragonsoutyet.com/

Someone email the webmaster.

He is busy with his cool new site.

http://isthewindsofwinteroutyet.com/