Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I dunno. It was what was shipped to me. So far though I like it a lot. More features and than Hyper-V for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

XenServer licenses come with any XenDesktop licenses you purchase, and I think XenApp now a days too. Also there is a free version that still allows you to have a central management console. I haven't played with Hyper-V too much, but it seems to be about feature par with VMware ESX 3.5, which is how old our VMware infrastructure is. I think Hyper-V and XenServer fill a niche role at this point. Some of us can't justify spending that amount VMware licensing requires. And I just typed all this up and realized this was the SAN thread. ugh.

For content: Anyone messing around with the new EMC VNX or VNXe lines? We are pretty happy with our Equallogic boxes, but we are looking at SANs and EMC's offering seem pretty nice.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 16, 2011

HorusTheAvenger
Nov 7, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Any thoughts on Sun's 7000 series, specifically the 7120 or the 7320 (as I imagine that's all that would be in our price range? Most of us are on the Compellent side, but one guy is super on the Oracle side, so we basically have to fight against Oracle for this. Would something like that work well as a VMWare Image store? How much access to the OS does the 7000 series give?

Ask Oracle if the bug still exists that you have to manually reset the service processor every 30 days.

If you want access to the OS, build your own box. 7000 series gives you a WUI and very limited shell.

Rumour has it the 7120 at my old workplace became much more performant after installing a new 10Gig network to it. It crashed and rebooted itself randomly quite often while I worked there (a year ago). Support usually refused to help until you upgrade the OS to latest point release.

Personally, I've never used Compellent and I would choose them in this match.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

HorusTheAvenger posted:

Ask Oracle if the bug still exists that you have to manually reset the service processor every 30 days.

Does it require rebooting the whole machine? That bug existed on an x4500. SP was locked up and wouldn't so something properly, it was fixed in a firmware upgrade, upgrade required a reboot of the machine.

We probably still haven't fixed whatever was wrong, and I found that bug years ago.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
I read the OP's and am still not entirely sure I'm in the right thread, but you guys can firmly point me to the door if I am here in error!

I'm looking at using a NAS for our small office. Basically what I want is a small server (say 1-2TB) in RAID 1 that autosyncs with ~5 laptops, remotely over SSH. From what I can gather I can get a QNAP TS-210 or something similar, then use deltasync on a schedule to have everyone's stuff backed up on there. All of them are Windows machines, if that makes a difference. I'd also like for all the stuff to be accessible at all times from these five computers, so I was thinking a virtual disk with an FTP would also work.

Also, version control is possible on these as well and would be attractive.

So in short, are these things going to be possible with such a cheap device, and will I (a moderately computer literate person) be able to set it up? Any reading or software you guys can recommend would be immensely helpful.

HorusTheAvenger
Nov 7, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Does it require rebooting the whole machine? That bug existed on an x4500. SP was locked up and wouldn't so something properly, it was fixed in a firmware upgrade, upgrade required a reboot of the machine.

We probably still haven't fixed whatever was wrong, and I found that bug years ago.

No. Just requires rebooting the Service Processor (their name for the management co-processor thing that works a lot like iLo, DRAC, BMC, and the like). Machine stays up. Doesn't change the annoyance of having to log in to the thing and click the refresh icon on the Service Processor screen. Which reminds me, it's also very disconcerting they used a refresh icon for things like restarting services and rebooting things.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
I am trying to register support to emcs powerlink website and i am thinking of banging my head on my desk until i die or just pass out to make the pain stop.

What the gently caress are they thinking? This page is designed like a 1998 geocities page made by some 14 yo girl living in the projects.

Instead of just having a link to enter serial numbers/contract numbers and an adress and be done with it you have to do some sort of running man game to register on one million places, get other companies "site numbers" added to your account.

EMC hates their customers and i will actively avoid buying EMC poo poo unless they arrange a live streaming of them shooting all the developers of powerlink in the neck.

gently caress paying $100k in support and having to deal with this poo poo.

Edit: i guess i nerd raged about this before? it fill me with a hatred more powerful than a thousand suns to have to deal with lovely portals.

conntrack fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 20, 2011

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
lol

Try searching for something, tell us how that goes!

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
I guess the EMC gods heard me pissing on their name. Just got a double disk error in a clariion raid5. This array is going to be put down like an unwanted dog.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

conntrack posted:

Edit: i guess i nerd raged about this before? it fill me with a hatred more powerful than a thousand suns to have to deal with lovely portals.

And yet your management will continue to buy EMC because it's 'cheaper'.

Intraveinous
Oct 2, 2001

Legion of Rainy-Day Buddhists

FISHMANPET posted:

...it's just a matter of convincing the big boss that the Oracle solution probably isn't very good. We've also been burned recently by Oracle support, so really not sure why we would even consider it. If the 7000 series is a blackbox, that's a knock against it.

The big boss is basically deciding between Compellent or some Dell servers with MD1200 arrays connected to them, running ZFS. The need to discredit Oracle comes from the third party that has way too much influence.

That White Paper looks good, even if it took some serious drug deals to get a copy of it. The link you posted didn't work, so I snipped the end off and got a registration page, registered and got a link, and that just gave me a header png hosted on dropbox. Googled for the paper, found the link on the DCIG site, registered with NEXSAN, the link they gave me 404ed, googled the file name, and found a copy: http://www.adn.de/media/CMS_Bilder/Nexsan/2010_DCIG_Midrange_Array_Buyers_Guide.pdf

I'll have to keep an eye out for the 2011 buyer's guide.

Crap... sorry about that. I should have just uploaded it somewhere.

Before too much longer, the Compellent array will be just that: a couple of Dell Servers with MDxxxx drive shelves. Currently, the controllers are 3U Supermicro boxen. The shelves are Xyratex OEM, who make quite a few different array vendor's shelves. The difference will be that the secret sauce is the Storage Center software rather than the ZFS software.

If you have an experienced admin who can spend time keeping it running/tuned to the workload; advantage may go to ZFS whitebox due to the ability to use cheaper SSDs for L2ARC/ZIL. I'd still advocate using "enterprise" SSD over a Vertex 2, but at least you could use ~$700 SSDs that are approved/supported by the server manufacturer, vs the $10K+ most array vendors seem to charge per SSD.

If array maintenance is going to just be another task on a list of CJ duties, having someone you can call at 3AM to help you through recovery from a problem is obviously a plus. The advantage goes to Compellent there. CoPilot is outstanding, especially for the company that can't afford a dedicated storage admin.

This assumes iSCSI connection, since last time I set up any ZFS/commodity hardware based "SAN", you didn't have an option for presenting it out over fibre channel. That may have changed by now, so I might be wrong.

Best of luck to you, I'm sure whatever you end up with will work fine, and it'd be (it was) a harder decision against anyone other than Oracle.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Intraveinous posted:

Crap... sorry about that. I should have just uploaded it somewhere.

Before too much longer, the Compellent array will be just that: a couple of Dell Servers with MDxxxx drive shelves. Currently, the controllers are 3U Supermicro boxen. The shelves are Xyratex OEM, who make quite a few different array vendor's shelves. The difference will be that the secret sauce is the Storage Center software rather than the ZFS software.

If you have an experienced admin who can spend time keeping it running/tuned to the workload; advantage may go to ZFS whitebox due to the ability to use cheaper SSDs for L2ARC/ZIL. I'd still advocate using "enterprise" SSD over a Vertex 2, but at least you could use ~$700 SSDs that are approved/supported by the server manufacturer, vs the $10K+ most array vendors seem to charge per SSD.

If array maintenance is going to just be another task on a list of CJ duties, having someone you can call at 3AM to help you through recovery from a problem is obviously a plus. The advantage goes to Compellent there. CoPilot is outstanding, especially for the company that can't afford a dedicated storage admin.

This assumes iSCSI connection, since last time I set up any ZFS/commodity hardware based "SAN", you didn't have an option for presenting it out over fibre channel. That may have changed by now, so I might be wrong.

Best of luck to you, I'm sure whatever you end up with will work fine, and it'd be (it was) a harder decision against anyone other than Oracle.

We are currently an Equallogic shop and are looking into going to Compellent. Do you think it's worth pursuing?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Wrong thread. Disregard.

TobyObi
Mar 7, 2005
Ain't nobody Obi like Toby ;)

Intraveinous posted:

FC works fine* out of Solaris 10/11 and the 7000 series.

*Last time I tried the 7000 series, fine was synonomous with slow, but that was a long time ago.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I am experimenting with implementing a drbd/pacemaker/corosync cluster, following this guide:

http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/Cluster_from_Scratch.pdf

On page 62 of the PDF it tells you to use a heartbeat resource agent called 'drbd' - I don't appear to have this ra and so obviously the config doesn't work. I have not figured out how to get it, googling just seems to yield examples of instructions telling me to use it. It may be a stupid question, but how can I get the heartbeat drbd ra?

Edit: I'm not trying to use the heartbeat drbd ra - I'm trying to use the linbit one. It's found in /usr/lib/ocf/resource.d/linbit/drbd but for some reason pacemaker doesn't find it, I think.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 23, 2011

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

paperchaseguy posted:

lol

Try searching for something, tell us how that goes!

Hey EMC isn't just storage, they're "information management" now too, and as you can see from their support site, they're great at it.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Information Lifecycle Management

gently caress if anyone else knows what that means, either.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

paperchaseguy posted:

pretty sure it's a fancy way to say "automatic storage tiering"

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Anjow posted:

I am experimenting with implementing a drbd/pacemaker/corosync cluster, following this guide:

http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/Cluster_from_Scratch.pdf

On page 62 of the PDF it tells you to use a heartbeat resource agent called 'drbd' - I don't appear to have this ra and so obviously the config doesn't work. I have not figured out how to get it, googling just seems to yield examples of instructions telling me to use it. It may be a stupid question, but how can I get the heartbeat drbd ra?

Edit: I'm not trying to use the heartbeat drbd ra - I'm trying to use the linbit one. It's found in /usr/lib/ocf/resource.d/linbit/drbd but for some reason pacemaker doesn't find it, I think.

My problem was actually that it was looking for /etc/drbd.conf when it didn't exist. Copying the contents of /usr/local/etc/drbd.d/global_common.conf or whatever it was to /etc/drbd.conf solved the issue.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
What would be a good option for a SMB/NFS virtual machine/appliance with deduplication? I am looking to run something on top of esxi that I can pass iscsi luns to that can act as a file server for my network. You can only get Windows Storage server as an OEM product and I would much rather run the gateway as a VM so I could take advantage of vmotion and HA.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

paperchaseguy posted:

Think of an automatic paper shredder tied to your data retention policy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Syano posted:

What would be a good option for a SMB/NFS virtual machine/appliance with deduplication? I am looking to run something on top of esxi that I can pass iscsi luns to that can act as a file server for my network. You can only get Windows Storage server as an OEM product and I would much rather run the gateway as a VM so I could take advantage of vmotion and HA.
Nexenta

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Anyone used ScaleComputing's products? I had a VAR talk them up the other day and while I've heard of them in passing I don't know anything specific.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

Zerotheos posted:

What we've ended up doing is building our own system using Dell servers and DAS storage arrays. We're running Nexentastor on this. I felt much more comfortable spending my budget on this equipment. This because in the worst case scenario, for example a vendor dying or the product sucking, all that has been wasted is about 3 grand in licensing fees. The hardware is general purpose and reusable for other projects. I was previously in a situation where my predecessor had purchased 4 MPC Dataframe arrays. These were Lefthand appliances. They always sucked, but that was the least of our worries. MPC imploded, Lefthand got bought and we were left with completely unsupported, under performing and useless pieces of hardware.

Nexentastor on the other hand, is basically a build-your-own Sun 7310. Our filers are Dell R710s attached to MD1220s. The hardware config is completely flexible as long as you stay in OpenSolaris hardware compatibility. 10k SAS drives, SSDs for ZIL(write caching) and L2ARC(read caching). These are obviously using ZFS, raidz2 specifically. The units do iscsi (also can act as an initiator to frontend other storage), FTP, rsync, NFS v2/3/4, CIFS, async/sync replication and full controller HA. They support compression and deduplication without volume size limits like Netapp FAS2000s have. We're primarily using these for vSphere shared storage and their performance absolutely rocks, they're a fraction of the cost of the alternatives and we can upgrade and reuse the hardware, which is a huge deal for us.

If you aren't keen on putting the pieces together yourself, I suggest you at least take a look at Nexentastor, 3.0 community edition is out of beta and is available for free up to 12TB of storage. Pogolinux also sells preassembled certified appliances for very reasonable prices.

http://nexenta.com
http://nexentastor.org
http://www.pogolinux.com/

Hey there Zerotheos, as old as this post is, you seem to be the only one I could find that has really jumped into the deep end with NexentaStor. Given that it sounds like you guys dove in a little over a year ago at this point, how is the platform working out? My organization is considering a very similar deployment, for many of the same reasons you mentioned. However, in-vivo opinions on NexentaStor seem to be hard to find. Really curious to know how this one worked out for you (or anyone else that's gone this route).

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I am pretty curious about this too. Based on a pointer just a few posts up I started researching into Nexentastor and on paper the concept looks fantastic and like a perfect fit for an upcoming project.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Syano posted:

I am pretty curious about this too. Based on a pointer just a few posts up I started researching into Nexentastor and on paper the concept looks fantastic and like a perfect fit for an upcoming project.
The only thing I'd be worried about is that Oracle has killed off OpenSolaris, so who knows who's going to take up the reins on that.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Certainly a concern but I am not sure how big of one it is at this point. The product still seems to be trucking along even almost a year after the announcement.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Serfer posted:

The only thing I'd be worried about is that Oracle has killed off OpenSolaris, so who knows who's going to take up the reins on that.
One of their engineering leads heads up the Illumos project, so as long as there's some other steam behind that it should be alright. I wouldn't be surprised if Illumos peters out and dies once Linux has an up-to-par ZFS implementation, though.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
I wonder if Oracle is going to ax their LSI-based StorageTek gear now:

quote:

On June 29, 2011, Oracle announced that it has agreed to acquire Pillar Data Systems, a leading provider of innovative SAN Block I/O storage systems. The proposed transaction is subject to customary closing conditions and is expected to close in July 2011. Until the transaction closes, each company will continue to operate independently, and it is business as usual.

Pillar's advanced SAN storage technology with leading Quality of Service provides customers with superior performance, an easy-to-use interface and a scalable architecture. Nearly 600 customers running 1,500 systems store their mission-critical data on Pillar. Pillar storage products are extremely efficient with 80% utilization at performance, approximately twice the industry average.

The combination of Oracle and Pillar's products are expected to help Oracle deliver to customers a complete line of storage products that runs Oracle software faster and more efficiently. Customers can optimize the value of their Oracle applications, database, middleware and operating system software by running on Oracle's storage solutions.

Oracle President, Mark Hurd and I will be hosting an Oracle Storage Strategy Update on June 30, 2011. Register at https://www.oracle.com/storage for the live event and Webcast to learn more about how Oracle is redefining storage. More information about the proposed combination of Pillar and Oracle can be found at https://www.oracle.com/pillardata.

I have a StorageTek 6140 and a 6580 that I can't wait to get off of. These bastards want over $50K for just one 16-disk 2TB 7,200 RPM tray. Even Netapp is half the price and they have 24-disk trays. Oracle can just die in a fire. Just wait until you Pillar guys have to deal with Oracle. :)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Bluecobra posted:

I wonder if Oracle is going to ax their LSI-based StorageTek gear now:

I have a StorageTek 6140 and a 6580 that I can't wait to get off of. These bastards want over $50K for just one 16-disk 2TB 7,200 RPM tray. Even Netapp is half the price and they have 24-disk trays. Oracle can just die in a fire. Just wait until you Pillar guys have to deal with Oracle. :)

I've got another meeting today, this time with our local Oracle reseller. It will be completely unproductive, because the question I want answered is "What the hell is Oracle doing?" and he won't have any idea either.

Confused_Donkey
Mar 16, 2003
I don't suppose anyone on here is still running McData 4700 Spheron switches? One of mine decided to nuke its web interface (and telnet for that matter) and I cannot find my CD that had EFCM Basic on it so I can get back into it. I don't want to reset it as my port feature keys are in there.

Brocade was no real help as the switches are old.

Anybody have a copy of EFCM Basic? or perhaps knows any of the commands in the Console SSP> interface that I can use to turn the web interface/telnet back on?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Does anyone know anything about the Engenio systems? Especially in regards to NetApp hardware/software?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

I've got another meeting today, this time with our local Oracle reseller. It will be completely unproductive, because the question I want answered is "What the hell is Oracle doing?" and he won't have any idea either.

Welp, he brought 3 Oracle sales engineers, and they assure us that they have a plan, but they can't show it to us until we sign an NDA.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Welp, he brought 3 Oracle sales engineers, and they assure us that they have a plan, but they can't show it to us until we sign an NDA.
To be fair, this is basically SOP for any vendor, and Sun would have told you the exact same thing prior to the Oracle buyout (I had to sign an NDA for their HPC roadmap back in '08). I'm actually surprised they didn't automatically bring along the appropriate presentation along with the NDAs for your staff to sign, though, given that they surely knew the nature of the meeting. Still, I'd blame it on lovely reps rather than (outlandishly) lovely corporate policy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Misogynist posted:

To be fair, this is basically SOP for any vendor, and Sun would have told you the exact same thing prior to the Oracle buyout (I had to sign an NDA for their HPC roadmap back in '08). I'm actually surprised they didn't automatically bring along the appropriate presentation along with the NDAs for your staff to sign, though, given that they surely knew the nature of the meeting. Still, I'd blame it on lovely reps rather than (outlandishly) lovely corporate policy.

They also agreed to come in and give us a "brown bag" (whatever the gently caress that means) presentation on how to game Oracle support to get actual support.

So basically, they at least claim to have fixed my biggest problems.

It was so much easier when I could blindly hate Oracle, but then I get put in a meeting where I discuss Solaris Express build numbers with the engineer on the phone :stare:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

It was so much easier when I could blindly hate Oracle, but then I get put in a meeting where I discuss Solaris Express build numbers with the engineer on the phone :stare:

This is the magical support that you're looking for from Sun. I haven't used them in a few years so I don't know if Oracle has broken this ability, but once you get a good support person keep them. Cut your ticket and just email the number to the person.

When we were having persistent problems with our fleet of X4500's we eventually got put in touch with a guy who had been with the company since back in the day. He was openly hostile about "Those new programs they've crammed into Solaris 10." Kids these days. He got the job done though when the others were stumped.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

So does any one in this thread have experience with coraid products ?

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Looking for anyone with experience with HP's P4800 BladeSystem SAN.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

complex posted:

Looking for anyone with experience with HP's P4800 BladeSystem SAN.

Is that a Lefthand? I too, have been searching the world for an actual HP Engineer for my Lefthand problems for the last few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

complex
Sep 16, 2003

ghostinmyshell posted:

Is that a Lefthand? I too, have been searching the world for an actual HP Engineer for my Lefthand problems for the last few days.

It uses LeftHand's SAN/IQ software platform, yes, but it pairs it with a BladeSystem C7000 chassis and MSA 600 shelves (or drawers, really).