Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Does dropping a wrench into a pan full of 95k mile old gear oil count as a mechanical failure? I ended up getting it all over my face and neck, in my mouth, eyes, etc. I can still smell it the next day, I think I'm traumatized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

gear oil
I can still smell it the next day, I think I'm traumatized.

Just burn any clothes it touched. And get ready to smell it for the next 3 days or so.

I hate getting gear oil on me.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Geoj posted:

The clutch packs in my transmission poo poo the bed after the reflash. To be fair I guess the damage could have started before, but the dealer ended up covering the service under warranty when I was outside of the factory warranty. The car has been pretty reliable otherwise, even when the transmission was acting up it never left me stranded. I do drive more than just about anyone other than OTR truckers (took delivery on new year's eve 2009, its currently sitting with just a hair under 70,000) so YMMV.

How common is that sort of thing? It sounds like you lucked the gently caress out. Is it common for cars to get repaired free of cost for problems inherent in the design even when not under warranty?

MomJeans420 posted:

Does dropping a wrench into a pan full of 95k mile old gear oil count as a mechanical failure? I ended up getting it all over my face and neck, in my mouth, eyes, etc. I can still smell it the next day, I think I'm traumatized.

Eat a habanero pepper.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Scientist posted:

How common is that sort of thing? It sounds like you lucked the gently caress out. Is it common for cars to get repaired free of cost for problems inherent in the design even when not under warranty?
Sometimes. It can be good will, or it can be to stave off a lawsuit.
With something like an auto, it can be claimed that it actually started failing a few thousand miles ago and you can be covered.
Similarly, with an issue that is due to a well known defect, there are basis for lawsuits after warranty period (see the Audi sludge issue), so they can save themselves a lawsuit buy fixing these cars.
That said, most of it is for good will.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Also when there's a common defect its not unusual for a manufacturer to extend the warranty on the effected part(s.) When my '02 Focus was outside of its factory warranty I had my fuel pump replaced free of charge because of an extended warranty on it (pump failure was a common issue in the first three model years.)

OTOH I do have a fleet car, so there's a good chance Ford would rather eat the cost of transmission repair (esp. that close to the factory warranty) and not step on the toes of a major car fleet company that buys ten of thousands of units per year.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 11, 2011

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

MomJeans420 posted:

Not gear oil, but I have a shirt that I got brake fluid on two years ago that I wear when working on cars to remind myself to be careful about draining fluids.

Note to Self: Use brake fluid as base for perfume, make killing on longest-lasting perfume ever.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Vanagoon posted:

Ah, sweet vindication.

Do you happen to know what it was exactly that makes the 1-2 shift in an AXOD Family member so terrible? I swear every loving time it made that shift it would shudder. EVERY time. Mine (in my late '98 Taurus) also had a severe "coastdown bump" they called it where sometimes if you didn't wait for the bump when slowing down and tried to take off again the trans would start freewheeling and then slam into gear hard enough to chirp the tires. The first time this happened it was so violent that I thought that someone had hit me.

I am beginning to believe that by law the American automakers ought to be banned from ever making any front wheel drive automatics and instead should have to be shamed by being forced to purchase them from Toyota and Honda until they learn to make an Automatic Trans-axle that is not such a monumental piece of lovely poo poo.

Edit: because this is a pics thread, here is a - plastic - GM 4L60 accumulator piston.

Found at http://www.tuckertrans.com/tips/fixes.html

Plastic parts in the transmission, gently caress You GM.
Ahh yes, the 1-2 and 3-4 shift accumulator pistons.

The piston rides on a little chrome pin. The fit is supposed to be good on that pin. The piston's fit in the bore is also supposed to be good.

On V8 applications I would hammer a check ball into the case and just block the 3-4 accumulator altogether.

On V6 if you do that you get a little uncomfortable jerk and so you cannot do that except on a performance car. I did a trick where I would take the used aluminum piston (or a get new one for replacing a plastic) and give the pin bore on it a couple good hammer whacks to "smoosh" it. Then tap the pin back through it using my hand as the anvil. Its not about sealing the pin leak so much as avoiding piston wobble.

For the 1-2 on V8 or V6 I always replaced the spring with a better spring that we had huge boxes of that were always just right and more durable. On the V6 I used this same spring in the 3-4.

On both V8 or V6 in the 1-2 and 3-4 you give the bore a good scuffing, put new seals on the piston, check for smooth but tight movement, toss in the spring, and move on to the other wonders that are the required builder updates to the 700R4/4L60/4L60e.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dave Inc. posted:

Note to Self: Use brake fluid as base for perfume, make killing on longest-lasting perfume ever.
Creosote and used engine oil is a very manly smell. Manly enough to make most normal women run a mile.

Their loss. :clint:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Pour pure toluene in there and come back in like a couple days.

"Green" alternative: introduce a colony of ants into that chamber.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Creosote and used engine oil is a very manly smell. Manly enough to make most normal women run a mile.

Their loss. :clint:

MY GIRLFRIEND apparently finds it sexy when I'm done working on a car and my hands are covered in oil and whatever other poo poo was caked to whatever I was removing.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

MikeyTsi posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND apparently finds it sexy when I'm done working on a car and my hands are covered in oil and whatever other poo poo was caked to whatever I was removing.

MY FIANCE is excited by watching anyone work on a car. This should work out nicely.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slow is Fast posted:

I must be going blind. What am I looking at?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Cigarette butt in a combustion chamber?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

I must be going blind. What am I looking at?

The stem of an exhaust valve that got pretty hot for a while. It's not really all the bad or out of the ordinary from what I'm seeing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Oh! I see it now. I also see the bell of the valve is, uhh, no longer circular or flat...

Or whatever it is girdling the stem. Whatever it is, it ain't right

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Scientist posted:

Anecdote ahoy!

I got the center differential on my Forester replaced under warranty, despite the vehicle being well outside the normal warranty time and mileage.

I had taken the Forester into the dealer a few times (when it was still under warranty) for the center diff binding up when it got hot, but the dealer gave me a "couldn't reproduce the problem" excuse, and refused to remove the differential and see if it was showing signs of wear.

Some time after the warranty expired, the problem started occuring pretty much constantly, and Subaru of America agreed to cover the work under the warranty if it turned out to be a problem with the differential. After a dealer determined that the problem was indeed the center differential binding up, Subaru covered the entire cost of the replacement without any attempts to backtrack or otherwise aviod paying for the work.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Wow, all this transmission talk reminds me of my family's old 1989 Ford Aerostar. I think it ended up needing trans work every 60-75K miles (I can't remember exactly what, that was drat near 20 years ago). After the 3rd or 4th trans work, my dad decided to get a new Aerostar (I wanna say a 94), which lasted nearly a year before a motorcycle t-boned it and the insurance company ended up writing it off (I was told because it was worth more in parts than its blue book value or something).

I'm expecting my 02 Focus to be having transmission problems any day now that I am approaching 150k miles.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
In other transmission news, how big a piece of poo poo was the auto in mid 90's mitsubishis? I know I spent essentially all my summer money rebuilding one in Galant over and over again.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Motronic posted:

Just burn any clothes it touched. And get ready to smell it for the next 3 days or so.

I hate getting gear oil on me.

Protip: Don't change the fluid in your rear end when you're hungover.

I stared dry heaving as soon as I got the cover off.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

tactlessbastard posted:

In other transmission news, how big a piece of poo poo was the auto in mid 90's mitsubishis? I know I spent essentially all my summer money rebuilding one in Galant over and over again.

Depends on what one it was.

The basic 4-speed isn't too bad, but the fancy 5-speed tiptronic one has a terrible reputation (it didn't help they put it behind some fairly powerful engines)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Shroomie posted:

Protip: Don't change the fluid in your rear end when you're hungover.

I stared dry heaving as soon as I got the cover off.

I'm glad that I don't have that genetic disposition to barf when I smell molybdenum disulfide. Gear oil has a distinct smell, but it's not :barf:-inducing by any means. How many AI posters get rumbly in the guts whenif they service their differentials?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It smells terrible but its never made me sick. That said I haven't tried it while hungover.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

lazer_chicken posted:

90's domestic autoboxes are the worst. The A4LD in our '91 explorer exploded at 40k. I really don't understand it, either. The old 2 and 3 speed autos were rock-solid, and as soon as they added gear #4 they all went to poo poo.

That's true. My big Ford has a C6, and while it's not the world's best transmission, it IS reliable.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Fire Storm posted:

Wow, all this transmission talk reminds me of my family's old 1989 Ford Aerostar. I think it ended up needing trans work every 60-75K miles (I can't remember exactly what, that was drat near 20 years ago). After the 3rd or 4th trans work, my dad decided to get a new Aerostar (I wanna say a 94), which lasted nearly a year before a motorcycle t-boned it and the insurance company ended up writing it off (I was told because it was worth more in parts than its blue book value or something).

I'm expecting my 02 Focus to be having transmission problems any day now that I am approaching 150k miles.

My Dad`s `89 Aerostar went through at least 3 transmissions and an engine before he sold it. Of course we hauled a solid body trailer behind it and taught 3 kids to drive in it.

He finally got rid of it when the hood latch let go on the highway.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fire Storm posted:

What engine/transmission? The manuals tend to be almost bulletproof; the only "widespread" issue with the MTX-75 (Zetec 5-speed) was losing the 3rd gear synchro on turbocharged setups. The IB5 (SPI 5-speed) is a rock-solid transmission dating back to the mid-80s, and I've never heard complaints about the SVT's 6-speed Getrag box.

If you have an automatic, god help you with that many miles.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

EightBit posted:

I'm glad that I don't have that genetic disposition to barf when I smell molybdenum disulfide. Gear oil has a distinct smell, but it's not :barf:-inducing by any means. How many AI posters get rumbly in the guts whenif they service their differentials?

With a bad enough hangover, any offensive odor can turn into :barf:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Gear oil doesn't bother me at all. I drained my diff in the Z last weekend and I'm pretty sure it was full of the oil used in 1992 when it was built at the factory. It had the consistency of mud and smelled bad but come on people.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I don't get the gear oil hate it just smells like oil to me even scorched atf.

Brake cleaner(either type) or simple green though, those things are absolutely toxic.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

MomJeans420 posted:

You should try Gear Oil from a Burned Out Rear Axle. Good god that smell is vile.

Also, I would buy a Brake Cleaner scented air freshener.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Arrived at work one day to find this in the parking lot:

Broken ball joint maybe?

Oh. :stare:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I know I an a little late to this party, but as a driveway mechanic let me say gently caress drum brakes.. I can do disks is 1/2 - 1/4th the time, the only saving grace is that they don't need to be done as often because they are in the back.

Speaking as someone from the land of salt and rust, I can say that I don't think I've ever had drums that I have bled without some rust related issue (broken valves, stuck valves, rounded / mis-sized valves from rusty buildup or wearing away, for done reason I've never had bleeder issues with rear or front disks.

I have announced to all my friends that I will only do disks as favors/ because I like them

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
gently caress my brothers Daewoo, and especially gently caress it's 97,000mile seized OEM waterpump.
I had a terrible god drat time getting that fucker off, and by terrible, I mean I have never had a water pump give me so much poo poo, and I have replaced Cadilac 4.9 V8 water pumps.

The aluminum water pump has RUST around the inside edges. RUST. I can only imagine that the coolant was original OE as well, and that the poo poo from the cast iron block wedged itself between the water pump and block and rusted.

Oh, and even though I drained the coolant, and had the car a good 3 feet up in the air, coolant still went every loving were, and I don't know why, and by everywhere, I mean a whole bag of Jonny Cat. gently caress.

Yeah gently caress YOU waterpump, meet my goddamn mini-sledge.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 13, 2011

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

lazer_chicken posted:

90's domestic autoboxes are the worst. The A4LD in our '91 explorer exploded at 40k. I really don't understand it, either. The old 2 and 3 speed autos were rock-solid, and as soon as they added gear #4 they all went to poo poo.

90's Dodge Dakota transmissions are pretty good, in my experience anyway.

My first one just needed a fluid and filter change, at 175K miles

My second one needed replacing, and once I saw the insides I realized why it was so reluctant to find 3rd gear. I told them to save the parts because I wanted to post pictures here, but they didn't. :arghfist:

Just picture planetary gears with almost no teeth and shards of metal everywhere inside the transmission, yet that fucker still got me to and from work, 30 miles to and from every weekday.

Landerig fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 13, 2011

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Root Bear posted:

Arrived at work one day to find this in the parking lot:

Broken ball joint maybe?

Oh. :stare:

Rusted-out LCA mounts are the deathknell for many Metros, along with horribly burnt exhaust valves.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Tell me that the Metro was towed...

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Of course it wasn't.

I once watched a cadillac(?) with a missing outer tie rod end drive into my parking lot, with the right wheel cut all the way right, and the left wheel cut all the way left(so it would roll roughly straight I guess?), buy said tie rod end, back out doing a full 180 due to said cocked up steering, then pull out onto the street and drive about 150 yards before a loud bang brought it to rest blocking the entrance of the mechanic he was trying to pull into.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
It sounds like he was able to run all of his errands, I'm not sure I'm seeing your point here.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

The Scientist posted:

It sounds like he was able to run all of his errands, I'm not sure I'm seeing your point here.

People are too cheap/inconsiderate for a tow, thats what I got from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
You're right, I was just joking around man.