Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MusicJustus posted:

I find this thread extremely STRANGE and ALIEN to what I understand

We WRITE and post PICTURES of GEAR we either WANT to purchase, or HAVE purchased. THEN we DISCUSS the merits OF each OTHER'S purchases. It MAKES perfect SENSE>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
I just got the next piece for my "party-in-a-suitcase" gimmick setup :)

The KORG monotribe, a cheap ghetto 303 + analogue drumcomputer / sequencer combination that I immediately fell in love with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuqJfAWkN2c

Next weekend I'll modify a small metal suitcase I bought specifically for my setup to accomodate the Monotribe, Kaossilator and Mini Kaosspad aswell as a Behringer Xenyx 1002B mixer. There should also be enough space left to put my Netbook running Reason and maybe a small Midi Controller. All this will be run into a Roland Mobile Cube.

The whole setup can run on batteries and should work like that for 4-5 hours if needed. Looking forward to spicing up some homeparties with my setup, yay! :D

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Das Butterbrot posted:

I just got the next piece for my "party-in-a-suitcase" gimmick setup :)

The KORG monotribe, a cheap ghetto 303 + analogue drumcomputer / sequencer combination that I immediately fell in love with.

Holy poo poo, and it's only $200 and change? WANT. The moment I have a job again, I am getting this.

...even though all I know about analog synthesis is TURN KNOB FOR SPACE NOISE.

(I am music history's worst criminal, yes.)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

oh are we talking about how much we love relics in here?

This is from several pages back, but is it possible to fit a bridge guard like that onto an ordinary strat?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Caddrel posted:

This is from several pages back, but is it possible to fit a bridge guard like that onto an ordinary strat?

Yes, it's a simple clip-on. I have one on a '57 sorta clonem because I want the strings to ring out. But they can be used to hold down a mute - or as an emergency ashtray of course. That's what everybody used the old Tele bridge covers for.

e: hang on, I don't know if it will fit the American Standard bridge; only ever used it on traditional models

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Quick question, a Presonus TubePre is on sale for $90 bucks. I'm a guitarist so I see Tube-Powered stuff and instantly pop a chubby. I'm running a Focusrite Saffire 24. 2 questions:

1) Is it worth me buying this if I want to warm up some vocals?
2) How would I use it? I actually like the Saffire's preamps so would this be used instead of one of the Saffire Preamps or would it just add some tubey goodness to the already warm preamps?

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001

Hammer Floyd posted:

Quick question, a Presonus TubePre is on sale for $90 bucks. I'm a guitarist so I see Tube-Powered stuff and instantly pop a chubby. I'm running a Focusrite Saffire 24. 2 questions:

1) Is it worth me buying this if I want to warm up some vocals?
2) How would I use it? I actually like the Saffire's preamps so would this be used instead of one of the Saffire Preamps or would it just add some tubey goodness to the already warm preamps?

I have one of these and it's pretty sweet. I lent it to a friend (who does mic pre / eq / filtration design) when a bunch of his gear was in limbo and he was impressed by it.

I'd say it's worth 90$.

edit:
whoops , tubepre is the single channel version.
I have this : http://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-BlueTube-2-Channel-Vacuum-Dual-Path/dp/B0007DA7S0

Don't know if there's difference in the design.

glennnyc fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 14, 2011

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

No pics, but during a little second hand store crawl I found a BOSS ME-5 multi-fx thingy for about $30 (equivalent)

I mainly got it cause it looks all old school and I'd kinda wanted to play with a multi-fx board anyways, but is it actually any good?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.fender.com/features/telebration?EDID=UUX2WFS-262LP-PR00QR-B4JQ5-RTCM-v1

Oooh. New limited edition teles. The Old Growth and Flame Top are really pretty.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

RillAkBea posted:

No pics, but during a little second hand store crawl I found a BOSS ME-5 multi-fx thingy for about $30 (equivalent)

I mainly got it cause it looks all old school and I'd kinda wanted to play with a multi-fx board anyways, but is it actually any good?

Yes you scored. It is all analog, has midi, distortion, delay, compressor, reverb, flanger, and a noise gate. My friends dad had one and I remember it sounded ten times better than my digitech rp-50 which I believe is universally hated by everyone.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I bought an AT2035 Condenser mic today!

Here's how it sounds. Dry signal, just double-tracked.
http://tindeck.com/listen/touf

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

Hammer Floyd posted:

I bought an AT2035 Condenser mic today!

Here's how it sounds. Dry signal, just double-tracked.
http://tindeck.com/listen/touf

Wow! So did I! Just got here today. Can't wait to test it out on vocals. That guitar sounds real good.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Krustic posted:

Yes you scored. It is all analog, has midi, distortion, delay, compressor, reverb, flanger, and a noise gate. My friends dad had one and I remember it sounded ten times better than my digitech rp-50 which I believe is universally hated by everyone.

Nice! It sounded pretty cool playing around with it last night but hearing the guts are quality stuff is definitely good news.

Now, 64 patches to program and not a dial in sight..

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

It will be mine. Oh yes - it will be mine.

Picking one up at Guitar Center this weekend. :neckbeard:

edit: tables

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

bam thwok posted:

It will be mine. Oh yes - it will be mine.

Picking one up at Guitar Center this weekend. :neckbeard:

edit: tables

I know that guitar! Got one in '04... saved up all summer at my internship for it. Its still the flagship of my collection (though with seymour duncan distortions in it while I am in metal bands, will put the 490r/498t back in when I calm down in the future).

Congrats, you will love it!

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Snagged this Peavey T-40 off eBay for 420 dollars (plus 89 dollar shipping to Finland). It didn't come cheap because of the taxes etc. but goddamn if this isn't a quality instrument! It has a wide range of tones, plays beautifully and I dig the design in general.

The body has a few dings and scratches here and there and I'm not really digging the black so I'm probably going to take it to a luthier to get it refinished in seafoam green.

Here's a mock-up pic:

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Your back is going to hate you! Nice score though, I've heard those T-40s can ape convincing Rickenbacker tones.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Ibanez RGA121VLF Prestige

Took 1 1/2 months to ship, finally got it. The neck and bridge are just perfect, it will be gettting a BKP Aftermath ASAP.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Nice! I have a natural finish RGA121 - really sweet guitar. I'm going to go Liquifire/Crunch Lab in mine I think.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

These Loving Eyes posted:

Snagged this Peavey T-40 off eBay for 420 dollars (plus 89 dollar shipping to Finland). It didn't come cheap because of the taxes etc. but goddamn if this isn't a quality instrument! It has a wide range of tones, plays beautifully and I dig the design in general.

The body has a few dings and scratches here and there and I'm not really digging the black so I'm probably going to take it to a luthier to get it refinished in seafoam green.

Here's a mock-up pic:

Ha, I saw your posts on Talkbass. I think that seafoam is going to look really awesome. I was keeping my eye out for a T-40 but then I found a killer deal on this:

Apparently the active electronics aren't working but that isn't a big deal to me. Unfortunately every demo I could find was a slappy/Jaco type thing, but I'm assuming it's versatile enough to do more old school tones as well. Worst-case scenario I can easily make my money back, so it's worth a shot.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Narwhale posted:

Ha, I saw your posts on Talkbass. I think that seafoam is going to look really awesome. I was keeping my eye out for a T-40 but then I found a killer deal on this:

Apparently the active electronics aren't working but that isn't a big deal to me. Unfortunately every demo I could find was a slappy/Jaco type thing, but I'm assuming it's versatile enough to do more old school tones as well. Worst-case scenario I can easily make my money back, so it's worth a shot.
You're not missing too much without the active electronics. The tone controls are passive bass and treble cuts so they aren't affected. The regular active position sounds almost the same as passive, though active with treble boost does help your sound punch through.

The neck pickup in series will be about as old school as that gets, its like a P Bass on steroids. The only other good settings are both pickups on, in either series or parallel. Series is kinda Jazzy, parallel is similar. The other settings are pretty weak, especially without having the active with treble boost available.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

DrChu posted:

You're not missing too much without the active electronics. The tone controls are passive bass and treble cuts so they aren't affected. The regular active position sounds almost the same as passive, though active with treble boost does help your sound punch through.

The neck pickup in series will be about as old school as that gets, its like a P Bass on steroids. The only other good settings are both pickups on, in either series or parallel. Series is kinda Jazzy, parallel is similar. The other settings are pretty weak, especially without having the active with treble boost available.

Yeah, that's about what I expected. In demos I didn't really notice too big of a difference between active and passive, and I don't think I would use the treble boost. I would possibly consider some mods eventually to get some use out of the extra knobs and switches, but I probably won't deal with that until I'm sure I'm going to keep it. Maybe something like volume, blend (so I can add in the bridge PU without having to have it full blast), and master tone, with the switches being series/parallel and coil taps maybe? But I don't even have the bass yet, so it's a little early to decide about that.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Narwhale posted:

Ha, I saw your posts on Talkbass. I think that seafoam is going to look really awesome.

Thanks! First I was going to go with the purple burst but then I thought it could look too gothic or something which I definitely don't want. A transparent wine red could look awesome too but I guess the simple solid vintage colour is the best choice in the long run. :)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I love everything about G&L's except the preamp. An Aguilar OBP2 or something really wakes the bass up. Control wise, you can do something like Volume, Blend, Treble/Bass, with switches for active/passive, coil tap, and series/parallel.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

I really shouldn't have, but I walked into a guitar store when I was out of town (Long and Mcquade) and there was a used Laney VH100R sitting there for a decent price. I never come across these amps and I just love them, so I bought it. Haggled them in to shipping it to the Long and Mcquade in my city for free, which is awesome because my jam space is 2 blocks from there. :dance:

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

ethan posted:

I really shouldn't have, but I walked into a guitar store when I was out of town (Long and Mcquade) and there was a used Laney VH100R sitting there for a decent price. I never come across these amps and I just love them, so I bought it. Haggled them in to shipping it to the Long and Mcquade in my city for free, which is awesome because my jam space is 2 blocks from there. :dance:

Prepare for lifelong ear damage :) Those things are l o u d.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I have one and yes it is stupid loud.

Great sound though, like a more modern voiced JCM800 with a built in boost. Not an ultra smooth metal amp but a great crunch machine.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm a beginner on guitar, and while I have both a cheap acoustic and electric, my electric guitar has been gathering dust because it sounds so terrible through the crappy free amp I had been using.

This thing however, sounds amazing through headphones, and has a ton of effects that can be used to imitate a whole bunch of different guitar sounds. It even has a decent acoustic model.

Apparently it can also loop and play drum tracks, and I can hook it up to my computer to record and fiddle with the presets even more. Pretty good for the some $130 it goes for.

It's vain, but I love the look of Marine Bands. Other diatonic harmonicas, even the really good ones, kind of look like toys in comparison.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Fender American with Lollar Steel pup in bridge, vintage Teisco pup in neck.

Always try to talk it's owner into selling it to me.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Underflow posted:

Prepare for lifelong ear damage :) Those things are l o u d.

I'm going to run it in stereo with my Rivera Knucklehead for twice the ear damaging fun! :)

Mister Clancy
Feb 18, 2007

5 Bux
My sister bought me a Univox U1970F from the local music store a few days ago. Just picked it up today and have been playing it non-stop. I've never played a fretless before so it's a bit of an adjustment, but it's still pretty fun. Fretboard is all trashed from roundwound strings and someone drew some lines on the edge of the fretboard with a permanent marker... but for the price it's still pretty awesome.

Came in a Gibson case of some kind.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
4th of July Weekend I bought this beauty:

A Takamine G Series EG463SC Acoustic/Electric guitar. I am really loving this instrument!

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I love everything about G&L's except the preamp. An Aguilar OBP2 or something really wakes the bass up. Control wise, you can do something like Volume, Blend, Treble/Bass, with switches for active/passive, coil tap, and series/parallel.

What I mind more is the weight. Jesus Christ the one I played was heavy.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Got a Seymour Duncan Hot-Rodded Humbucker set to replace the stock pickups in my Agile AL-2000. Loving these pickups so much.

deluxeg
Jan 19, 2001
New USA Fender Precision from hellomusic.com for $800 bucks. Awesome deal. This thing is so light it makes my MIM Jazz bass feel like it's made out of lead.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Just got this in the mail today:

Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra

I'm currently in the process of setting up a new rack (i've been lazy and had my few rack pieces just laying about), so when that happens I'll update the pic with a real one. This is pretty much the prize piece of my studio now, since I've had to deal with two separate things breaking (a BLUE Mouse mic and my BlueSky ProDesk monitors...:().

I'm hoping to slowly build my studio back up, and I wanted something that could cover any and all guitar sounds in both studio and live settings. The Axe pretty much covers both, with some interesting uses in-between (the effects are equal-or-better-than the Eventide and T.C. processors currently out). I've only got to play through the monitors so far, but I'm loving the sound of it. It's definitely not for the non-tweaker though. Just like working with a real amp, you need to build your sound from the ground up, unlike a POD or GT8 where you spin a few knobs and have a pre-processed sound.

It's really so deep it'll take me 50 hours of use to understand and be able to review it, but even now I can tell the complexity is worth it.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

The Gasmask posted:

Excuse me while I hide my boner.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
I'll preface this pic by saying there is no way in hell that I deserve a guitar this amazing. I used to play guitar back in college and recently decided to get back into it. My wife, knowing that I've been obsessed with Rickenbacker guitars since I first heard Life's Rich Pageant, decided to spoil me. So for my 35th birthday she got me this:

Yes, I have the coolest wife ever.

Slow Graffiti fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 22, 2011

The Apathy Party
Nov 7, 2005
lost to apathy

The Gasmask posted:

Just got this in the mail today:

I'm currently in the process of setting up a new rack (i've been lazy and had my few rack pieces just laying about), so when that happens I'll update the pic with a real one. This is pretty much the prize piece of my studio now, since I've had to deal with two separate things breaking (a BLUE Mouse mic and my BlueSky ProDesk monitors...:().

I'm hoping to slowly build my studio back up, and I wanted something that could cover any and all guitar sounds in both studio and live settings. The Axe pretty much covers both, with some interesting uses in-between (the effects are equal-or-better-than the Eventide and T.C. processors currently out). I've only got to play through the monitors so far, but I'm loving the sound of it. It's definitely not for the non-tweaker though. Just like working with a real amp, you need to build your sound from the ground up, unlike a POD or GT8 where you spin a few knobs and have a pre-processed sound.

It's really so deep it'll take me 50 hours of use to understand and be able to review it, but even now I can tell the complexity is worth it.

You will not regret it. My Ultra is the best piece of gear I have ever owned. The only way I would ever part with it would be if I bought an AXE II...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Since I've been doing more stuff with orchestral instruments lately, I got myself one of these for my birthday:

It'll be a bit of a challenge to learn to play it, but I made huge progress just on the first day. Switching octaves is weird and difficult, but there's a logic to the EWI fingering system that makes it fairly easy to pick up.

The included sounds are mostly not great, but this + Miroslav Philharmonik sounds freakin' fantastic.