Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I just watched Flesh for Frankenstein and I think it may be the worst thing Criterion has released. This isn't even campy fun or outrageously shocking, it's just a tedious badly acted and badly shot mess. The worst part is that it does seem like it had some sort of budget but it wasn't used for anything other than cheap gore and quality sets and costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Adding to the Eclipse discussion, you can't go wrong with Kurosawa and I highly recommend The First Films of Samuel Fuller. The Steel Helmet is overlooked excellence. Watch I Shot Jesse James just to see how someone can write a movie in 2 weeks, shoot it in ten days with a $10,000 budget, and have something that isn't complete dogshit and actually good. The Baron of Arizona is kinda dry, but it starts Vincent Price and the camerawork by James Wong Howe keeps it interesting.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm waiting to find it for $20 or cheaper (used or new), but the Lubitsch Musicals set is wonderful. The Love Parade is hilarious.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I agree. Before I saw all of them, people had talked up 'One Hour With You' as the best of the set by far, but I really, really loved 'The Love Parade.' All of the Schertzinger tunes are just great, super memorable and witty, and I think MacDonald and Chevalier are both at their freshest in it. Oh, geez, and of course also Lupino Lane and Lillian Roth, both way under-rated and very good in 'The Love Parade' in an extraordinarily broad and unabashed way.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I just watched Flesh for Frankenstein and I think it may be the worst thing Criterion has released. This isn't even campy fun or outrageously shocking, it's just a tedious badly acted and badly shot mess. The worst part is that it does seem like it had some sort of budget but it wasn't used for anything other than cheap gore and quality sets and costumes.

Yeah, but Blood for Dracula is really good. It's baffling how they could do one so good and one so bad. Great score, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjqD3aLnPrY

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Criterion just put up the original version of Gojira on their Hulu account. It also looks like all of the films licensed from Castle Hill (Walter Wanger and John Cassevetes) are available for free viewing.

Here's all the free viewing films I've found so far...

Shadows (1959, John Cassevetes)
Room at the Top (1959, Jack Clayton)
I Married a Witch (1942, Rene Clair)
Gojira (1954, Ishuro Honda), plus Godzilla, King of the Monsters!
Foreign Correspondent (1940, Alfred Hitchcock)
Breaker Morant (1980, Bruce Beresford)
History is Made at Night (1937, Frank Borzage)
The Long Voyage Home (1940, John Ford)
Quadrophenia (1979, Franc Roddam)
Faces (1968, John Cassevetes)
A Woman Under the Influence (1974, John Cassevetes)
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976, John Cassevetes)
To Be or Not to Be (1942, Ernst Lubitsch)
Stagecoach (1939, John Ford)
The Ruling Class (1972, Peter Medak)
Hopscotch (1980, Ronald Neame)
Hoop Dreams (1994, Steve James/Frederick Marx/Peter Gilbert)
For All Mankind (1989, Al Reinert)
General Idi Amin Dada (1975, Barbet Schroeder)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Is that an indication that those are coming eventually? Cause if so I might need to sell my Quadrophenia DVD.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I will loving explode if Criterion releases Quadrophenia on Blu-Ray, but I won't take these as an indication of anything until they say so.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I would say the big names are safe for a release: Gojira, Quadropenia, To Be or Not to Be, etc. Who knows when they'll get around to working on them, but they'd be crazy to just dump those on Hulu

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

penismightier posted:

Yeah, but Blood for Dracula is really good. It's baffling how they could do one so good and one so bad. Great score, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjqD3aLnPrY

Really, any movie that contains the line "the blood of these whores is killing me!" and features Udo Kier puking blood into a tub can be nothing but fantastic.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Foreign Correspondent's been on the list for ages now.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

So does the half off B&N sale start on tuesday then?

The Lucas fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 11, 2011

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

The Lucas posted:

So does the half of B&N sale start on tuesday then?

Yep.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Gojira already has a good quality DVD, I'm surprised Criterion would waste their time.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

zandert33 posted:

Gojira already has a good quality DVD, I'm surprised Criterion would waste their time.

DVD != Bluray

Edit: Oh it seems there is a Gojira bluray. That is odd then, but I'm sure it'd still be a moneymaker for them. People love monsters.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

kaujot posted:

DVD != Bluray

Edit: Oh it seems there is a Gojira bluray. That is odd then, but I'm sure it'd still be a moneymaker for them. People love monsters.

The existing Gojira blu-ray that we have in the States is god awful, for what it's worth.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

If Criterion puts out The Long Voyage Home I will march right up to their offices and blow the first dude I see.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Recommendations on one of Naked, Crumb, or Diabolique?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
My personal choice would be Naked. It is a film that had me mouth agape the entire running time my first viewing. Now it's agape 95% of the time, but that missing 5% is the opening credits.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cacator posted:

Diabolique would be my choice but Naked is pretty close. Crumb is ok in that it's a film about a really weird and creepy guy and makes you think "how can someone be this broken?" but it's not really a movie I'd want to own.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Hahaha, 10 minutes into the B&N sale starting, and the website's already keeling over. You'd think they'd be prepared for this by now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
As a complete nerd, I am angry that this was scheduled right after the Steam sale ended.

:qq: my wallet :qq:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just another heads up. A couple of weeks ago, the B&N coupon system noticeably changed. Now, instead of one number for a coupon that anyone can use, each coupon has a unique number/letter combination that, once used, will no longer be active. Whether or not this is company-wide, I have no idea, but if it is, you can forget about the old stacking/reusing coupons routine.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Origami Dali, I believe that's just on certain coupons. There's a decent chance I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that there's still a few general use coupons floating around. I wouldn't be surprised to see that change across the board soon, though. Unfortunately, they've done away with the $5 off coupon that was the real meat and potatoes of the past Criterion sales.

The sale is live now; some titles don't show the discount but I've found that adding them to your cart usually fixes that. For the time being, there are two 15% off codes you can use online:

L7C8F9D
T9P8A9P

They're each one-time use only. BN disabled coupons early in the last sale, so act swiftly as they're likely to do so again.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Hey I dont need to pay any bills this month! Ordered: High and Low, Blow Out, The Great Dictator and Kiss Me Deadly.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

zeroordie posted:

The sale is live now; some titles don't show the discount but I've found that adding them to your cart usually fixes that. For the time being, there are two 15% off codes you can use online:

L7C8F9D
T9P8A9P

They're each one-time use only. BN disabled coupons early in the last sale, so act swiftly as they're likely to do so again.

They worked for me. Thanks. :)

Picked up a few things I've been meaning to pick up for a while...

Diabolique
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Kiss Me Deadly
Louie Bluie
Late Spring
My Dinner with Andre
Simon of the Desert
Zazie in the Metro

Sounds like a nice haul this time around. Can't wait for them to get here.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Really tempted to buy some of those Eclipse sets, I think those 15% off coupons will push me over the edge.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Eyes Without a Face. Any good?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

As a complete nerd, I am angry that this was scheduled right after the Steam sale ended.

:qq: my wallet :qq:

Haha, I've got F for Fake, Ikiru, The Naked City, Rififi, and The Friends of Eddie Coyle in my cart and I keep waffling on purchasing them :negative:

I hate this sale :argh:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I already own so many Criterions that it's getting harder and harder to decide what to get, as I'm left with nothing but blind buys. Makes these sales bittersweet.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

gently caress i hate this. That was hard. I got Solaris and My Dinner with Andre. Two blind buys, over Brazil and Peeping Tom, which I have seen.

e: so i'm not the most obscure criterion shopper sue me

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 12, 2011

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Eyes Without a Face. Any good?

Amazing. Buy it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
How long is this sale going on? I need to wait til Friday to have money but I REALLY want The Thin Red Line and Days of Heaven on proper Blu Ray :ohdear:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
End of the month.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Man, I forgot about tax. Tax sucks.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
J3M9D8K is a coupon code for 10% off everything in your cart (except preorders).

Rambro
May 1, 2008

kaujot posted:

J3M9D8K is a coupon code for 10% off everything in your cart (except preorders).

Any idea if this coupon has an expiration date?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
No idea. I purchased my entire haul when I woke up this morning. :negative:

Slavman
Jun 11, 2011

Cacator posted:

Naked.

Johnny: You from Scotland?
Archie: EH?
Johnny: Are you Scots?
Archie: Aye.
Johnny: What's it like up there?
Archie: Fuckin' shite.
Johnny: D'you dream in Scotch?
Archie: Eh?
Johnny: Like dream about sporran-clad, caber-tossing haggis galloping over porridge-covered glens?
Archie: FUCKIN' shite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I don't care what anyone says, I love the new Naked package design. :colbert: