Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Chocobuckle? It deals damage equal to the times you've ran.

Ah, fixed damage attacks that run on their own internal counter. :allears:

I think FF6 started that with Traveler/Step Mine, and paved the way for legions of sperglords who had to get every last one of those attacks up to doing 9999 damage.

...And then in FF9 they gave like four characters moves like that. All with different requirements. :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

KataraniSword posted:

Ah, fixed damage attacks that run on their own internal counter. :allears:

I think FF6 started that with Traveler/Step Mine, and paved the way for legions of sperglords who had to get every last one of those attacks up to doing 9999 damage.

...And then in FF9 they gave like four characters moves like that. All with different requirements. :bang:

In 5 there's the Chicken knife and Brave knife though which depend on fleeing, I think. :spergin:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

KataraniSword posted:

Three, and they're all super grindtastic to get. By far the worst offender was Zidane, with Quina a close second. Freya's is easy as poo poo to get.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

factorialite posted:

There are those who were waiting for a double update today.

They are still waiting.

I'm so sorry to disappoint you guys. I just got so much work to do this weekend that I didn't have time to do anything else :smith:

I already got the videos and notes ready, I'm just trying to find free time. I literally didn't have any this weekend. I promise that as soon as I can I'll catch up.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

El Belmondo posted:

In 5 there's the Chicken knife and Brave knife though which depend on fleeing, I think. :spergin:

It took me about 15 minutes to grind up the chicken knife for my FFVAdvance LP. Considering you have three different instant flee methods it's not as bad as Chocobuckle or Step Mine.

Nidoking posted:

Step 1: Get Chocobuckle
Step 2: Run from 9999 battles
Step 3: Realize that you just wasted that much of your life to get yet another way to deal maximum damage in a single attack, when there are much better options available by the time you'll ever meet an enemy that warrants doing that much damage.

2222 times so you can trigger Lucky 7s whenever you want! :eng101:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Chocobuckle? It deals damage equal to the times you've ran.

So it's effectively useless then (aside from what you posted above I guess). At least that explains why I've never had it do anything; so long as I can help it, I never run from a fight. I'd rather fight a few fights pointlessly and maybe end up slightly overlevelled than struggle along because I ran from one too many.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kalonZombie posted:

Three, and they're all super grindtastic to get. By far the worst offender was Zidane, with Quina a close second. Freya's is easy as poo poo to get.

No way, man. You can just steal from every enemy in every normal encounter and you'll probably have Thievery at 99, or at least very close to it, by the end of the game while getting a bunch of free poo poo. Plus if you gear yourself to gain/have extra Speed, that's your multiplier, and I think you only have to successfully steal like 200 times or so at 50 Speed (even after grinding to the high 70s with non-optimal equipment, I still got it to 41 or 42 I think, not counting equipment bonuses). You'll easily get into at least 200 encounters, most with at least two enemies in them, before the end of the game, and Marcus's steals count too.

Quina? poo poo, you gotta get Quina to Level 99, definitely, which is a lot harder than getting 200-400 successful Steals by the time you hit 50 or 60. And then you have to catch 100 frogs, which takes not only the entire normal game for them to repopulate enough times, but I just barely made it after having done absolutely everything while keeping their populations in check the entire time.

MC Jigsaw
Aug 1, 2008

Monocles are the staple eyewear of villainy.

2222 times so you can trigger Lucky 7s whenever you want! :eng101:

This would be ingenious if it weren't so tedious.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can get two Enemy Skills to do that and go for low level runs. You would be better with the materia/item trick to get those 7's.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
All the Key Items images that people have posting aren't user-generated. The images were included in FFVII - International, which oddly enough was released only in Japan.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

kalonZombie posted:

Seriously, Freya's Dragon Crest is ridiculous. I love IX to death, but the fact that they have an attack that can do max damage fairly early in the game with only an hour or two of grinding is a little insane.

The White Dragon posted:

Quina? poo poo, you gotta get Quina to Level 99, definitely, which is a lot harder than getting 200-400 successful Steals by the time you hit 50 or 60. And then you have to catch 100 frogs, which takes not only the entire normal game for them to repopulate enough times, but I just barely made it after having done absolutely everything while keeping their populations in check the entire time.

Who is this "Quina" you speak of? From now on, s/he'll always be Iz to me. :allears:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MC Jigsaw posted:

This would be ingenious if it weren't so tedious.

I remember seeing a particular setup somewhere that would get Barret's max HP to 7777. It won't trigger at the start of a battle like that, but you can just wait until he takes damage and then heal him back up.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Dauntasa posted:

It won't trigger at the start of a battle like that

edit - You know what, on second thought, I'm gonna take that it since it's more than just a little spoilerriffic. Suffice it to say, you can start a fight on lucky 7's

If you don't believe me, google search "ffvii lucky 7's" and watch.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 11, 2011

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

edit - You know what, on second thought, I'm gonna take that it since it's more than just a little spoilerriffic. Suffice it to say, you can start a fight on lucky 7's

If you don't believe me, google search "ffvii lucky 7's" and watch.

All of the things I found show people going into the battle at 7677 and using a potion or going in with 9999 and being hit by a certain attack that does 2222.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
I always thought Sephiroth was pretty cool before the fanbase(and Nomura) got ahold of him. He basically is a badass hero guy who completely flips his poo poo when he finds out something that makes him question his very existence.

Hell, in all of the newer FF games all it takes is a bit of doubt or vague problems to make a character break down.

Also when I first played FF7 as a kid, I ended up getting to this part late at night, alone, with no idea it was going to happen. Fun stuff. :tinfoil:

Rockdash
Jan 5, 2010

FillInTheBlank posted:

All the Key Items images that people have posting aren't user-generated. The images were included in FFVII - International, which oddly enough was released only in Japan.

I think the "International" part refers to the fact that though Japan always gets Final Fantasy games first, other countries get extra stuff in exchange for waiting, including bug fixes. So when they re-release the game in Japan, the Japanese get that extra "International" stuff, and more. :goonsay:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Dauntasa posted:

All of the things I found show people going into the battle at 7677 and using a potion or going in with 9999 and being hit by a certain attack that does 2222.

Warning, extremely spoilery for a certain endgame enemy, do not watch if you've not played the game.

Go to this dude's page, and look in his videos. He's got one where he starts with lucky 7's firing off.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 11, 2011

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Elentor posted:

I'm so sorry to disappoint you guys. I just got so much work to do this weekend that I didn't have time to do anything else :smith:

I already got the videos and notes ready, I'm just trying to find free time. I literally didn't have any this weekend. I promise that as soon as I can I'll catch up.

It's cool man, I'd be more angry if you shirked real-life stuff to do this. I was just channeling my inner Joe Morgan, after which I self-flagellated.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Captain Bravo posted:

Warning, extremely spoilery for a certain endgame enemy, do not watch if you've not played the game.

Go to this dude's page, and look in his videos. He's got one where he starts with lucky 7's firing off.

Two cars drag racing in pitch black conditions is a spoiler?

*EDIT*
NM, found it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Since there's been a lack of updates, this could be interesting to both new fans as well as those who have played FFVII multiple times...

The FFVII demo:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN2tpE4wYxk
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PES-UntD8Lw

You'll notice a lot of things that are different from the final version... such as starting out with Aeris in your party, even crappier dialogue, and text added to the opening, among other things.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Those demo movies leave out the battles, which were also different. They supported a ton more enemies in battle at once in the demo than they did in the actual game.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I remember the first time I saw that demo in a store. I thought "man, they're just ripping off Final Fantasy and everyone's super impressed". Then I saw the end of the demo and was angry nobody had told me about it.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Interesting, so Barret didn't always sound like a completely incoherent baboon then. Wonder why they went with the inferior release script.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I remember playing a demo way back when, but I remember the party having Tifa, not Aeris. It also had ridiculous mid game stuff like Neo Bahamut.

I could just be remembering wrong about Tifa though.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
They did the same thing with the FF8 demo and gave you Leviathan as a summon during the whole radio tower invasion scene. That's fairly common.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
The Xenogears demo gave you two party members in the mountains, and they even lampshade the fact that they won't be in there in the real game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Death Priest posted:

Interesting, so Barret didn't always sound like a completely incoherent baboon then. Wonder why they went with the inferior release script.

One of the Youtube comments say that Sony translated the final game while the demo was translated by Square themselves. No idea if that's true, though.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Renoistic posted:

One of the Youtube comments say that Sony translated the final game while the demo was translated by Square themselves. No idea if that's true, though.

Considering that I think Sony translated one of the other paragons of early PSX-era bad JRPG localizations, Legend of Dragoon, that would not surprise me at all.

It's surprising how much more coherent that demo is than the game itself. Clunkier, yeah, but things make a bit more sense. I'd love to have just a port of FF7 along the lines of Chrono Trigger DS or FFV Advance -- same essential game, but polished script and loc work. If there's any game that could use it, it's FF7.

EDIT: It's also interesting that Jessie wasn't the only one you had to save during the reactor mission in the demo. I kind of wonder why they changed that.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 12, 2011

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

dumb brunette posted:

EDIT: It's also interesting that Jessie wasn't the only one you had to save during the reactor mission in the demo. I kind of wonder why they changed that.

I'm guessing they cut it for better flow and to make Jessie a little more special.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Renoistic posted:

I'm guessing they cut it for better flow and to make Jessie a little more special.

I can just imagine some smart rear end at Square going, "Heh, wouldn't it be cool if we faked the player into thinking Jessie was gonna be Cloud's girlfriend? But then we introduced his actual friend from when he was a kid, and then we had him hook up with yet ANOTHER girl right afterwards??? The player won't know what the gently caress :smug: :hf: :smuggo:"

Unfortunately they edited out the scene where Hojo tries to have Cloud mate with Red XIII

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Minrad posted:

Unfortunately they edited out the scene where Hojo tries to have Cloud mate with Red XIII

: I honestly didn't believe Cloud would have given in so quickly! I'm sensing that boy has some issues.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
I actually prefer the real game dialog to the demo dialog. The demo dialog reveals a bit more of the story, but I actually like that a good chunk of the plot and setting are reserved to be revealed at a later date.

The demo worked really well as a demo, in that it exposed you to enough of the game to give you a good idea of what it was about and make you sufficiently hooked to want to see what's next, but if I'm to sit down and play the game, I like the dialog we got.

Also the lines in the demo seem a little bit wordy (contrasted against the lines in the game being a bit sparse).

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

The Xenogears demo gave you two party members in the mountains, and they even lampshade the fact that they won't be in there in the real game.

I remember the Legend of Legaia demo had Noa in the first town explain how she wouldn't be there in the original game. Same with the other character you get.

I had the demo for FFVII too, I remember Tifa being in my party. Not Aeris.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Renoistic posted:

The European translations were done by Sony at least. (Based on the english translation of course, so you've got a bad translation of a bad translation...actually that's true for most european non-english translations of japanese games.)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Elephantgun posted:

I remember the Legend of Legaia demo had Noa in the first town explain how she wouldn't be there in the original game. Same with the other character you get.

I had the demo for FFVII too, I remember Tifa being in my party. Not Aeris.
I was hoping they would continue the romance angle between Elly and Bart in Xenogears demo, rather than the incest and inbreeding of the family tree they were pushing in the release.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Hokuto posted:

They did the same thing with the FF8 demo and gave you Leviathan as a summon during the whole radio tower invasion scene. That's fairly common.

I remember at the end, when you're running from the mech spider, the gun turret was being operated by some random soldier instead of Quistis. I think the party for the demo was Squall, Zell and Selphie (all in their usual outfits instead of their Seed uniforms).

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

John Luebke posted:

The European translations were done by Sony at least. (Based on the english translation of course, so you've got a bad translation of a bad translation...actually that's true for most european non-english translations of japanese games.)

At least the german version loved it's unreadable characters and offered several translations for the weapon beasts.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I remember at the end, when you're running from the mech spider, the gun turret was being operated by some random soldier instead of Quistis. I think the party for the demo was Squall, Zell and Selphie (all in their usual outfits instead of their Seed uniforms).

No it was Squall, Zell, Rinoa (with Leviathan). Rinoa never talked.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

No it was Squall, Zell, Rinoa (with Leviathan). Rinoa never talked.

I forgot about that. I guess the demo really was the better game. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

The White Dragon posted:

And then you have to catch 100 frogs, which takes not only the entire normal game for them to repopulate enough times, but I just barely made it after having done absolutely everything while keeping their populations in check the entire time.

That is odd, I remember getting enough frogs for the Silver Fork before even getting to Burmercia due to obsessively playing Chocobo Hot and Cold for a few hours. But the thing is I always left at least three frogs, one male, one female, one gold.

• Locked thread