Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I hate these sales because I always pre-order everything I want. Then the sale comes around and I feel obligated to take advantage of it and end up buying a bunch of stuff I eventually get rid of. So this time I'm being a little more conservative. Just this for me:

Kiss Me Deadly - I hate Mike Hammer, but maybe I'll feel better about this movie now that I'm so into noir. Also I love Ursini/Silver commentaries.

Lubitsch Musicals - Worth it for One Hour With You and Love Parade, but the others are okay too

And that's it. I almost went for Late Ozu, but there's really only one movie in there I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

kaujot posted:

J3M9D8K is a coupon code for 10% off everything in your cart (except preorders).

This coupon code worked and cut my shipping charges to Canada in half! Much appreciated.

Picked up: The Music Room, Kiss Me Deadly, Bigger than Life, and Night and the City. That should do just fine until the fall/winter sale.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I just grabbed Red Desert. Was going to get more but I can't justify rebuying Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (have it on HD-DVD) and I still have to finish working my way through The BBS Story boxset and watch The Last Emperor (which has been sitting on my shelf forever)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

Kiss Me Deadly - I hate Mike Hammer

I always thought you were supposed to.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

I always thought you were supposed to.

Yeah but I don't hate him in a way that's enjoyable to watch. He's not like an Alex DeLarge. I dunno, I'm hoping I'll have a different perspective on him now. I listened to the "Out of the Past" podcast episode about KMD and it got me curious to watch the movie again.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It is a really weird one, isn't it? The middle 45 is essentially a montage of the same scenes over and over, with different characters. Hammer feels like he should be someone's sidekick.

It's also the slappiest movie in the Criterion Collection behind Human Condition 2.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Just this for me:

Can't you cancel your Music Room preorder from wherever you got it and buy it during the sale when it comes out next week?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Can't you cancel your Music Room preorder from wherever you got it and buy it during the sale when it comes out next week?

Yeah that'll save me a few bucks. Looks like the discount applies to Beauty and the Beast and High and Low too.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

zeroordie posted:

The sale is live now; some titles don't show the discount but I've found that adding them to your cart usually fixes that. For the time being, there are two 15% off codes you can use online:

L7C8F9D
T9P8A9P

Just used these for Le Trou and Last Days of Disco. Thanks a lot!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

codyclarke posted:

Just used these for Le Trou

You are all about that movie, huh.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Blind-bought 'Berlin Alexanderplatz' just because I love Fassbinder and haven't found any place to rent or watch it anywhere else.

'Kiss Me Deadly'-- I don't know. I considered it but it's such an aggressively unpleasant movie I don't know if I'd have the energy to sit down and watch it again. Although that hellish roar at the end is kind of a masterpiece of sound production, isn't it?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

So I'll probably go with Naked. Now considering and need opinions on: one of Shock Corridor, Z, Homicide (but I'm mainly interested in Shock Corridor)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Archyduke posted:

Although that hellish roar at the end is kind of a masterpiece of sound production, isn't it?

Absolutely. I don't think I've ever heard a better shrieking, force-of-god explosion. It seemed to inform the hell out of the Indiana Jones (which the whole last five minutes clearly influenced) and Poltergeist soundwork.

Cacator posted:

So I'll probably go with Naked. Now considering and need opinions on: one of Shock Corridor, Z, Homicide (but I'm mainly interested in Shock Corridor)

Shock Corridor rules.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cacator posted:

Z, get Z. It's an amazing political thriller. Shock Corridor is an entertaining movie but it's not in the same league.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cacator posted:

As for me, I'd go with Homicide

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Cacator posted:

Go gently caress...yourself if you don't buy...Homicide...you loving scumbag.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Unless you know you already love Mamet, as a director, I would not recommend blind buying Homicide.

Slavman
Jun 11, 2011

penismightier posted:

It seemed to inform the hell out of the Indiana Jones (which the whole last five minutes clearly influenced).

Never made that connection but it's pretty obvious now you mention it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, some DVDs have Blu editions coming within the next year like Z and My Dinner with Andre. The latter isn't a big deal since the DVD has an ultra high bitrate.

I'm probably going to order more for gifts than myself this time. My cousin's 12 year old daughter loves Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast, which I got her last year. :)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Blind bought Last Year At Marienblad, High and Low, Days of Heaven, Kiss Me Deadly, and The Music Room. Haven't been disappointed at a Criterion yet, so either I just know my tastes well enough or I delude myself into liking things that I buy. Either way, looking forward to watching these!

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Bought "Music Room", which is a blind buy for me (though I love the Apu trilogy) and "Diabolique".

Anybody know if Scenes for a Marriage is discontinued or something? I ordered it during the last BN sale, and it never shipped. I'm now looking around it appears to be sold out everywhere.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

penismightier posted:

You are all about that movie, huh.

Yeah, I love it. Haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I saw it a few weeks ago!

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

penismightier posted:

Absolutely. I don't think I've ever heard a better shrieking, force-of-god explosion. It seemed to inform the hell out of the Indiana Jones (which the whole last five minutes clearly influenced) soundwork.
Man, I mentioned this up in the general chat, but nobody bit. I think there's more in common between Kiss Me and Raiders than the sound, actually. A lot of the major plot beats are the same, the protagonist's involvement has little impact on the villains' efforts, some other stuff I can't remember…

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.
So, I was looking through the Criterion site trying to work out what I could buy in the B&N sale, and I discovered that outside of Japan, Criterion's representation of East Asian cinema is criminally minimal. Between South Korea, China, Taiwan and Hong Kong they have seven releases, one of which isn't out yet and two of which are out of print (also one is The Last Emperor, and that film is terrible). I'm disappointed - I can't buy anything and convince myself that it's relevant for my Honours dissertation.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Pigeon Shamus posted:

So, I was looking through the Criterion site trying to work out what I could buy in the B&N sale, and I discovered that outside of Japan, Criterion's representation of East Asian cinema is criminally minimal. Between South Korea, China, Taiwan and Hong Kong they have seven releases, one of which isn't out yet and two of which are out of print (also one is The Last Emperor, and that film is terrible). I'm disappointed - I can't buy anything and convince myself that it's relevant for my Honours dissertation.

At least they have "in The Mood For Love" which is one of the best Chinese movies ever

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Pigeon Shamus posted:

The Last Emperor, and that film is terrible

Whoa there, buddy.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Pigeon Shamus posted:

So, I was looking through the Criterion site trying to work out what I could buy in the B&N sale, and I discovered that outside of Japan, Criterion's representation of East Asian cinema is criminally minimal. Between South Korea, China, Taiwan and Hong Kong they have seven releases, one of which isn't out yet and two of which are out of print (also one is The Last Emperor, and that film is terrible).
How many Criterion films are not from America, France, Germany, Italy, Russia and Japan? How many actually come from South Asia, East Asia, Africa, Central America, and South America?

e: I mean, I'm sure other companies license those films, but how much of world cinema is Criterion missing out on?

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Went a little crazy and got...

The Great Dictator
Solaris
Kiss Me Deadly
Le Cercle Rouge
Army of Shadows
Pale Flower
Sweet Smell of Success
Night of The Hunter
Double Life of Veronique
Paths of Glory
M
Playtime
Mystery Train
Last Year at Marienbad
The Leopard

All blind buys except for Great Dictator and Solaris.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Has anybody found any coupons that can be used with the B&N 50% off sale? A Google search did not yield anything for me.

edit: found one, but not sure how reliable this site is http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/261656

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 13, 2011

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Colonel Whitey posted:

Has anybody found any coupons that can be used with the B&N 50% off sale? A Google search did not yield anything for me.

edit: found one, but not sure how reliable this site is http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/261656

There are a few right in this thread. Some were 15% off one item, others were 10% off the whole order. Neither applied for preorders. Just scroll up or go to the previous page.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

My haul for the sale, barring some sudden appreciation/fascination toward an obscure director:

Sisters
Schizopolis
Black Moon
House

If Black Moon is weird in a way I like, I may buy more of Malle's stuff. House is fun & bizarre. Schizopolis is overdue for me since Soderbergh's a favorite. Sisters is gold.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Space Fish posted:

If Black Moon is weird in a way I like, I may buy more of Malle's stuff.

None of Malle's other films are similar to Black Moon.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I know, and I want that variety. I love Elevator To The Gallows, so I know Malle can do noir, but thought My Dinner With Andre was godawfully boring, so he's currently batting .500 with me. Black Moon being "his good Weird movie" would tip the average into his favor and add another genre he delivered, giving me confidence enough to explore his other movies.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Space Fish posted:

I know, and I want that variety. I love Elevator To The Gallows, so I know Malle can do noir, but thought My Dinner With Andre was godawfully boring, so he's currently batting .500 with me. Black Moon being "his good Weird movie" would tip the average into his favor and add another genre he delivered, giving me confidence enough to explore his other movies.

Give 'Zazie dans la Metro' a shot. It's sort of exhausting, but in a very exhilarating way.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Zazie tempted me until I watched its trailer, which is full of precocious slapstick. Zazie hits a man on the head with a frying pan! A car's frame breaks apart, leaving a platform with wheels! Can anyone attest to something funnier in the movie?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Zazie tempted me until I watched its trailer, which is full of precocious slapstick. Zazie hits a man on the head with a frying pan! A car's frame breaks apart, leaving a platform with wheels! Can anyone attest to something funnier in the movie?

Here's a scene I liked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geP2eH39Rzs

I read an essay about the movie once that said that what's most exciting about is that it is so aggressively 'comedic' without actually being funny. The above clip is a good example of Malle deploying nearly every conceivable formal gesture of filmic comedy, for a tone that's, well, if not funny 'ha-ha' at least somewhat remarkably off-putting. I liked it as a long experiment in defamiliarization. These sombre, often quite grim plot beats consistently framed as really, really broad slap-stick.

It definitely lags, though, and by the end I had been ready for it to wind down for about 15 minutes or so. Still, supremely weird and quite compelling.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Space Fish posted:

Oddly enough, it was that kind of humor that attracted me to the film (Zazie was a blind buy for me). It looks like a cross between Hausu and a Jacques Tati film. Besides, I've always had a soft spot for these cartoonishly silly slapstick comedies.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Went with Blow Out, Last Year at Marienbad, In the Mood For Love and The wages of Fear. I'm intrigued by The Leopard. Is it worth a blind buy?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

Went with Blow Out, Last Year at Marienbad, In the Mood For Love and The wages of Fear. I'm intrigued by The Leopard. Is it worth a blind buy?

gently caress yeah it is. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Despite a couple of bland stretches, Black Moon won me over with its oddities and beautiful lead. Now I'll test out Malle's coming-of-age dramatic chops with his 3-movie set of Au Revoir Les Enfants, Murmur of the Heart, and Lacombe, Lucien. May not be blu, but still a terrific deal. If my wallet and interest are still kicking after that box, then the Eclipse documentaries & Zazie will flock in like vultures and peck away my remaining cash, especially with goon endorsements :)