Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Exactly my thoughts. My alternative choices were plain jane red, or sterling grey with red stripes (which was discontinued). I was never a fan of the white stripe package, especially since you end up with white stripes on the seats.

I saw this exact car at a dealership a year ago and had fallen in love, but didn't have room in my garage due to my vette. Luckily that GT500 sold before I could get myself in trouble.

I have a sterling grey with red stripe '11 GT500, and I'm kinda glad to hear it's been discontinued. Makes it a little more " unique", not that GT500's are exactly common around me. I'm also glad I got the glass roof, since it cuts down on the amount of stripe on the car.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

OrganizedEntropy posted:

I know this is a Recaro seat, but is this seat available as an aftermarket seat direct from Recaro's website? If so what is the model? I really like the fact that the logo isn't plastered all over the front of the seat in bright colors. Getting this seat in black leather w/o the badging and everything I think would look real sharp.

Also while on the subject of seats, I also really like the molded plastic on the back of the chairs like this one http://www.seats4cars.com/products/VX2000.htm . I am not sure if that is considered lame or anything.

Finally, I know that aftermarket seats come in 36 or 42 inches wide. I know I am not a fat rear end and could easily fit into 36" wide seat, but for a weekend warrior street ride, would it be better for comfort to get a fatter seat? or do you really not notice the hip hugging?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I have a sterling grey with red stripe '11 GT500, and I'm kinda glad to hear it's been discontinued. Makes it a little more " unique", not that GT500's are exactly common around me. I'm also glad I got the glass roof, since it cuts down on the amount of stripe on the car.
I've never liked this attitude (which is extremely common in muscle car/performance car forums). It's why Dodge can't sell any Challengers, because they keep trying to make all the colors unique for people that bought them X years ago and now you can't get standard red, hemi orange, or standard black Challengers, all of which are iconic colors.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Angry Grimace posted:

I've never liked this attitude (which is extremely common in muscle car/performance car forums). It's why Dodge can't sell any Challengers, because they keep trying to make all the colors unique for people that bought them X years ago and now you can't get standard red, hemi orange, or standard black Challengers, all of which are iconic colors.

Well I didn't buy it with that thought in my head, but it's nice having a car I won't see ten of every day on my way to work or whatever. Not that I see ten Shelbys on my way to work, but still.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I was actually relieved that I didn't get a glass roof. In Calgary we have to deal with a ton of rock chips due to the city gravelling the road in the winter. I've heard complaints from owners that caught rocks on the leading edge of the glass and ended up with cracked roofs. Hell, windshields nearly have to be replaced on a yearly basis here. 3M on the vehicles is a requirement to have paint that'll last more than a year or two.

No idea on the Recaros, but I'm really impressed with them in this application. The seat front also has a faint Cobra label between the slots for the shoulder harness, but nothing that screams "aftermarket seat".

I'll be picking up the car in about 45 minutes so more pictures will follow...of the rubber I'll be putting down in front of the office.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

OrganizedEntropy posted:

I was actually relieved that I didn't get a glass roof. In Calgary we have to deal with a ton of rock chips due to the city gravelling the road in the winter. I've heard complaints from owners that caught rocks on the leading edge of the glass and ended up with cracked roofs. Hell, windshields nearly have to be replaced on a yearly basis here. 3M on the vehicles is a requirement to have paint that'll last more than a year or two.

No idea on the Recaros, but I'm really impressed with them in this application. The seat front also has a faint Cobra label between the slots for the shoulder harness, but nothing that screams "aftermarket seat".

I'll be picking up the car in about 45 minutes so more pictures will follow...of the rubber I'll be putting down in front of the office.

The glass roof is a lovely option because you'll be super hot in the summer and cold in the winter. From what I understand the manual cover is kinda lovely so assume it'll be open all the time.

I had a glass roof on my tc and hated it. Nobody wants to spend all day driving in the sun and the covers were ugly and flopped if the windows were open. It's the worst part of owning a convertible with zero of the upsides. Plus it most likely adds weight.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

OrganizedEntropy posted:

If you don't permanently mark the dealer's front entrance with your burned rubber, then you don't deserve that GT500.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
This is why gear heads shouldn't attempt web design.
Jesus christ, my retinas! There is absolutely no rhyme nor reason to anything done there.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

frozenphil posted:

This is why gear heads shouldn't attempt web design.
Jesus christ, my retinas! There is absolutely no rhyme nor reason to anything done there.

It's literally a website from circa 1998 Geocities.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Q_res posted:

Last modified: February 08, 2010

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Which dealer did you buy from, out of curiosity?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Q_res posted:

There are no tacky .gifs, thats early 90s design right there.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

shodanjr_gr posted:

If you don't permanently mark the dealer's front entrance with your burned rubber, then you don't deserve that GT500.

Our parking lot at work is permanently painted with rubber from my Vette and my Silverado. Whenever it got to be time to mount new tires, I was simply burning the old hides off.

PT6A posted:

Which dealer did you buy from, out of curiosity?

I picked the car up from Advantage Ford on Macleod. They have a crapload of Mustangs there. I dealt with Evan and he was great, he made the entire process very easy!

No pictures yet, I left my camera at work and it has been raining anyhow so I'll need to wash and polish the car. Driving impressions? It's freaking fantastic to drive. It feels great, sounds great, and kicks you in the rear end when you stomp the gas pedal. It took me awhile to set up the Sync but it works great as well.

I love this car!

For those interested in a Recaro retro fit, this thread is on SVT performance: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/782868-power-2012-recaros-my-07-bunch-other-mods.html

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 12, 2011

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Our parking lot at work is permanently painted with rubber from my Vette and my Silverado. Whenever it got to be time to mount new tires, I was simply burning the old hides off.

I picked the car up from Advantage Ford on Macleod. They have a crapload of Mustangs there. I dealt with Evan and he was great, he made the entire process very easy!

No pictures yet, I left my camera at work and it has been raining anyhow so I'll need to wash and polish the car. Driving impressions? It's freaking fantastic to drive. It feels great, sounds great, and kicks you in the rear end when you stomp the gas pedal. It took me awhile to set up the Sync but it works great as well.

I love this car!

For those interested in a Recaro retro fit, this thread is on SVT performance: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/782868-power-2012-recaros-my-07-bunch-other-mods.html
The guy didn't actually say where you get them though, other than to say, "they are new."

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Angry Grimace posted:

The guy didn't actually say where you get them though, other than to say, "they are new."

I simply assumed he pulled them out of a convertible GT500 in a parking lot somewhere.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

You can see the base for the Recaros in the background. He just bought a pair of them and swapped them onto the base on his stock seats.

Edit: From looking around it looks like Ford hasn't even released pricing for the Recaros listed in the FRPP catalog yet, so all of the swaps you're seeing are people swapping seats with fatties who bought a GT500/BOSS with the Recaro option. According to the catalog, the seats come with the wiring harness to use your stock seat's powered base. Looks like a simple swap.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 13, 2011

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Hey Phil, thanks for the model number! now the next issue is when they are actually out for sale, If I can get them to fit in an 01, OR am I gonna have a machinist make some custom rails. I hope they can attach to my stock power rails.

kalvick fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 12, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

If you're buying exhaust stuff, especially Magnaflow stuff, go to http://www.performancepeddler.com/ and click "Log In" up top. Then, under "Wholesale Log In", enter clubgp. Congrats! That $860 cat-back is now $560.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Do the BOSS/GT500 Recaros come with the side-impact airbags as well?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

I don't know, but I doubt it. Seems like they'd have to be a lot wider to accommodate air bags.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
You'd be surprised the spaces you can shoehorn an airbag into. My Fusion has in-seat airbags and the seats are smaller than those Recaros.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I need those Recaros, and I wish they would release some in that stock charcoal-grey OEM leather so they won't look too out of place in my Mustang. I know leather isn't as grippy as cloth but still!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

kronix posted:

The glass roof is a lovely option because you'll be super hot in the summer and cold in the winter. From what I understand the manual cover is kinda lovely so assume it'll be open all the time.

I had a glass roof on my tc and hated it. Nobody wants to spend all day driving in the sun and the covers were ugly and flopped if the windows were open. It's the worst part of owning a convertible with zero of the upsides. Plus it most likely adds weight.

The glass roof on the GT500 is UV coated for the summer, so I don't even feel a difference; and I don't drive it in the winter so it's all good.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

frozenphil posted:

If you're buying exhaust stuff, especially Magnaflow stuff, go to http://www.performancepeddler.com/ and click "Log In" up top. Then, under "Wholesale Log In", enter clubgp. Congrats! That $860 cat-back is now $560.

Phil I love you

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

oRenj9 posted:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Phil I love you

Send half your savings to me as compensation. :)
I should probably add that to that reserve post I've never used.

OrganizedEntropy posted:

That, rather succinctly, answers that.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

Send half your savings to me as compensation. :)
I should probably add that to that reserve post I've never used.

That, rather succinctly, answers that.

Haha, I figured that would answer it pretty quickly. Still waiting to get some pictures, the weather here won't let up. Driving this car in the rain is hilarious.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

Be sure to email them for their best offer too. It should knock off another 20% off their "best advertised price" (which even with this clubgp poo poo is just the same price as everyone else on the internet..)

edit: if it doesnt have an "email for best offer" then youre probably paying the same, if not more, for that part than you can elsewhere. so beware

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 13, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

coolskillrex remix posted:

(which even with this clubgp poo poo is just the same price as everyone else on the internet..)

Really?

American Muscle (and everyone else, really):

Performance Peddler:

Are you sure you're logging in with the wholesale code clubgp?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Yes i am, and im searching older mustang stuff. I didnt check the newer 2011 exhaust, it makes sense though, everyone still has their heads up their asses and basically are charging msrp on 2011 poo poo because soooo many people will just buy it regardless.

my advice is to check amazon or autoanything.com in addition to performancepeddlers to make sure youre getting the best price possible.

autoanything.com constantly runs 15% off sales (so wait for one) and carry a ton of exhausts, my friend got his corsa extreme catbacks and heartthrob x pipe for about $850 from them AFTER tax

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

(which even with this clubgp poo poo is just the same price as everyone else on the internet..)

This is what I saw too. A flowmaster american thunder axleback for a 05-08 v6 came up as 291 "retail" and like 170 with the clubgp coupon. That same muffler on americanmuscle is 189.99. So it's a little bit cheaper but not very much.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Yes i am, and im searching older mustang stuff. I didnt check the newer 2011 exhaust, it makes sense though, everyone still has their heads up their asses and basically are charging msrp on 2011 poo poo because soooo many people will just buy it regardless.

my advice is to check amazon or autoanything.com in addition to performancepeddlers to make sure youre getting the best price possible.

autoanything.com constantly runs 15% off sales (so wait for one) and carry a ton of exhausts, my friend got his corsa extreme catbacks and heartthrob x pipe for about $850 from them AFTER tax

I actually was looking at the heartthrob X 3'' pipe, does anyone know if there's any benefit other than sound and will I need a tune?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

kronix posted:

I actually was looking at the heartthrob X 3'' pipe, does anyone know if there's any benefit other than sound and will I need a tune?

slight slight hp/tq increase, makes more of your tubing 3" (not sure if the headers are 3"). friend runs it without a tune... sounds loving mean as poo poo with the corsa extreme exhaust. Auditory memory sort of sucks but the x pipe seemed to add a lot more flow, so you hear all this back pressure as you back off the pedal.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
Bilstein is finally getting around to building a kit for the 2011+ Mustangs (and they're based off my car).

The new shocks are awesome; the springs I could probably do without. Even the engineer said that he prefers the stock springs with the Bilstein shocks as it is perhaps a little too low (-40mm in the rear) and taps the bumpstops on the rough stuff. If it sat the rear 10mm higher than it does, it'd be perfect.

I could also do with an adjustable panhard bar should I keep the springs on -- I'm going to give it a thousand+ miles before I make up my mind.

The ride feels a bit german -- reminds me of my previous car (BMW 330i ZHP). It is definitely quite a bit stiffer, but not harsh at all. You definitely feel more of the road, but it is completely flat in the corners now.

Excuse the crappy iPhone pic:

20mm lower in the front; 40mm lower in the rear.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

optikalus posted:

20mm lower in the front; 40mm lower in the rear.

I'd like it to be higher in the back, but I guess handling is more important than looks.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

optikalus posted:

I could also do with an adjustable panhard bar should I keep the springs on -- I'm going to give it a thousand+ miles before I make up my mind.

When you lower a car equipped with a non-adjustable panhard bar, especially that much, you end up forcing the axle towards the passenger side of the car. You're going to see some wonky tire wear pretty soon, not to mention crab walking, and eventually rear sub-frame tearing.
Do yourself a favor and get an adjustable panhard bar.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

frozenphil posted:

When you lower a car equipped with a non-adjustable panhard bar, especially that much, you end up forcing the axle towards the passenger side of the car. You're going to see some wonky tire wear pretty soon, not to mention crab walking, and eventually rear sub-frame tearing.
Do yourself a favor and get an adjustable panhard bar.

Yea, that was definitely the plan. However, the axle actually pushed towards the driver's side. It's about 1/2" further out on that side than the other.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

optikalus posted:

Yea, that was definitely the plan. However, the axle actually pushed towards the driver's side. It's about 1/2" further out on that side than the other.

I always get those confused. :(
Yeah, you'll start wearing out the control arm bushings in the rear if you drive with it like that for very long.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Or get a Watt's linkage setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Lamarque Ford near where I live has a silver Boss 302 LS for MSRP.