Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Of course naming a child is hard - that kid will have that name for the rest of his/her life! It's really important and a ton of pressure. I stressed out about it a lot, too. Fortunately my husband has had a good boy name in mind forever and we're going with it (sorry, but I'm not going to share it here). Girl names were extremely hard to think of, especially since I wanted something strong-sounding yet feminine, not too common and not at all bizarre. But it turned out not to matter since we're having a boy.

I admit that I get angry when I hear about parents giving their kids stupid names. I don't care if it's YOUR BABY. It's a human being. If you want to name something Rainbow Paisley, get a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's natural - The name is a much more important decision than what diapers to use. I think people put too much thought into the birth process, when all that matters is a healthy kid in a stable home without a stupid name. (Or stupid spelling.)

We're gonna try weaning around a year (I think.) She drinks half breastmilk and half powdered milk. I've gone back to work part-time since 6 months and having the flexibility of someone else feeding her is a lifesaver. Pumps don't work for me. Sometimes breastfeeding is the only thing that will put her to sleep so I'll keep doing it at night until she decides to stop.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

I've always heard that you should take into account that your baby will someday be an adult with the name you give them. If you can insert the childs name into a headline involving a political figure and not have it sound ridiculous you should be ok. I always pretend my kid will be appointed a supreme court justice and imagine the headline "So and so appointed to the supreme court." Little McKynzie Cheyenne will never be appointed, I'm afraid.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

bamzilla posted:

I've had several people ask us if we named Charlotte after the sex & the city character. Who would even do that was it even popular enough for that to happen 2 years ago? Basically who cares what people will think/say? No matter what someone's going to comment on whatever name you decide to give your kid. Go with what you've wanted since your heart is set on it. Unless it's something dumb like JaMichael.

My daughter's name is Claire, and when she was born someone asked me if she was named after Claire Huxtable. Really, how long ago was the Cosby Show even on?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

FretforyourLatte posted:

My daughter's name is Claire, and when she was born someone asked me if she was named after Claire Huxtable. Really, how long ago was the Cosby Show even on?

Hahaha! Wut?

Man, go with the name. By the time your child is old enough to care about her name, nobody is going to give a poo poo about the Beckhams. Besides, a lot of other celebrities have used the name, as well.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

I have a nausea related question, but I'll briefly fill in the background info.

I'm 20 weeks pregnant. At 4 weeks I had to have surgery because I had an ovarian torsion caused by a cyst which then ruptured, causing me to bleed internally. I lost 70% of my blood, but everything is fine now. We weren't sure if the pregnancy would survive. I had many follow-up appointments with my OB due to the surgery and we found out we were having twins. Then we found out one of the twins stopped growing at 6.5 weeks. As I was recovering from the blood loss related to my surgery, I got morning sickness. It was the throw up all day, everything you eat or drink, then dry heave when there is nothing left until you pass out on the bathroom floor type of morning sickness. They gave me Zofran for it, which felt like a gift from god since it let me stop puking.

12 weeks came and went and I remained on Zofran. I tried a day without it around 14 weeks but was still throwing up constantly. Around 15 weeks it was greatly alleviated, though I was very prone to nausea and the occasional vomit. At 16 weeks I thought I was ok, but when my husband and I had to travel, I needed to throw up on the plane a few times. The flight home was fine, though around 18 weeks I threw up again. I am still very prone to nausea. It gets worse in the car or if I'm hungry or if I smell something I can't tolerate (cigarettes, random foods, certain soaps), but there is a nearly constant thrum of nausea and the occasional dry heave. Since it hasn't abated at 20 weeks, does this seem like something that will continue throughout the pregnancy? I haven't thrown up recently, and it's completely manageable, but I am curious if anyone else has any idea what I can expect.

TL;DR - I'm 20 weeks and still nauseous after having rather bad morning sickness. Can I expect to be nauseous throughout the rest of the pregnancy?

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
yawnie, it would suck if you LOVE your doctor but if you end up not being happy with either hospital, you can still swap doctors.

I'd do a lot of research and tour more hospitals if you don't like the next one. I'd also call and ask them if you can decline the 3 hour nursery time and have the pediatrician check out your baby in your room.

I have no idea why they'd need to take your kid for 3 hours because the pediatrician was in and out of our room in a jiffy, and the only time they took him out of the room was for his hearing test. That took maybe ten minutes? Then we asked that he go to the nursery for a couple hours on the second night there, as we hadn't gotten any sleep. He was gone for probably an hour and a half, and the nurse brought him back because he was up and rooting.

As for breastfeeding, we're still going at 14 months.

enitsirk fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 12, 2011

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

TL;DR - I'm 20 weeks and still nauseous after having rather bad morning sickness. Can I expect to be nauseous throughout the rest of the pregnancy?

I ended up throwing up, even on a prescription right up until the day I had my daughter. I was hospitalized for it twice. If I were you I would keep up with the prescription and keep a few wheat crackers or the natural ginger gravol on you as well. Some people have luck with some other methods, like eating in bed, a million small meals, chewing candy and poo poo, but nothing worked for me except giving birth.

As for breastfeeding, I had to stop just shy of 8 months because of problems that arose. Pumps don't do poo poo for me, so now she is on formula. It bothers me a loving lot sometimes but she is doing much better now on formula than stressed out and not getting enough to eat on boob.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Just a few weeks ahead of you, and I'm still puking anytime I smell my husband's farts. Usually I find farts hilarious, but right now, bodily odors of any kind make me gag. I have to be careful about when I eat, because the longer I go between meals, the more likely I am to puke completely unexpectedly. I don't have the 24/7 nausea as much as I did in the 1st trimester, but I'm still puking just as much. Popsicles are my go-to food when I start feeling pukey, and it seems to reset my puke timer for another 108 minutes.

My mom had terrible morning sickness with my brother for all 9 months, so I figure this is just how my body is when it's pregnant.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

I'm 23 weeks, so only a few weeks ahead of you, but our stories sound similar. I had crippling nausea for the first 15-16 weeks, and Zofran did nothing for me, neither did Phenergan. I still vomit on occasion, but I've found the triggers (not getting enough sleep, not eating enough) so I can usually avoid it. But yeah, I am kind of accepting that I may be this way through the entire pregnancy. Which sucks because with all of my siblings and me, my mom stopped having nausea at 12 weeks. I seem to just be destined to puke.

enitsirk posted:

yawnie, it would suck if you LOVE your doctor but if you end up not being happy with either hospital, you can still swap doctors.

Thanks for the input!

I do kind of love my doctor, so I would probably deal with the three hour thing before switching doctors this late in the game. My guess is that if it came down to it (meaning if the 2nd hospital is lovely), I can call and talk them first hospital out of that. I imagine they want the business more than they want to argue with me about it, so hopefully I can just refuse and they'll get over it.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

My wife is about 22 weeks pregnant with our first. We've had a scare or two along the way but everything's tested out well and it's hopefully going to be smooth sailing from here on out.

My wife had terrible nausea in the first trimester. It was so bad that our doctor had to put her on medication for it. It's gotten better now but she still has to take a pill in the morning. She's tried to stop taking it with no luck so she might be stuck with it for the whole pregnancy.

We discussed the option of cloth diapers this weekend. She was really against it at first, mostly because she didn't know a lot about them and how much different they are now. I think she's on board now. My next step is to source some. Does anyone know of a place to get them in Canada that's reasonably priced? I've been searching for a couple of days and it's still cheaper overall to order them from clothdiapers.com and ship them here, even with the near $100 in shipping that it will cost me.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Number19 posted:

My wife is about 22 weeks pregnant with our first. We've had a scare or two along the way but everything's tested out well and it's hopefully going to be smooth sailing from here on out.

My wife had terrible nausea in the first trimester. It was so bad that our doctor had to put her on medication for it. It's gotten better now but she still has to take a pill in the morning. She's tried to stop taking it with no luck so she might be stuck with it for the whole pregnancy.

We discussed the option of cloth diapers this weekend. She was really against it at first, mostly because she didn't know a lot about them and how much different they are now. I think she's on board now. My next step is to source some. Does anyone know of a place to get them in Canada that's reasonably priced? I've been searching for a couple of days and it's still cheaper overall to order them from clothdiapers.com and ship them here, even with the near $100 in shipping that it will cost me.

I've been trying to figure out how to get the cloth diapers I want to Canada, too. There are several brands that are made in Canada, and in Montreal specifically. Bummis, AppleCheeks, and I'm there there's another one I'm forgetting at the moment. Costo.ca also sells GroVia bundles. I think we'll still be buying our prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers; they have a special policy for shipping to Canada, so some things are available and some aren't. I've also browsed a lot for cloth diapers on ByNature.ca, though I haven't actually purchased anything yet.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007
I was super sick and medicated for the first 22 weeks. Between 22 and 23 weeks, though, my nausea and most of my food aversions cleared up. There's hope yet for you ladies at the halfway point who are still dealing with "morning"(and all-day) sickness.

Canadian cloth diaperer chiming in. I got my prefolds, snappis, wipes and covers online through jamtots, and my Fuzzibunz pocket diapers from enfant style diapers. I stressed and researched a lot while pregnant to find those sites and highly recommend both. bynature.ca also comes well regarded from some other Canuck goons, but I found they have similar stock with slightly higher prices.

Can't believe Julia graduated from this thread last week! Some pictures:

Birth day - One month

Two months - Three months

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Had a scare today. Still kind of worried. I started spotting. It was brown spotting but I noticed it when I went to the bathroom. Called my doctor and they told me to go to the hospital. I'm 8.5 weeks along. So to the ER I went.

They checked me in, took blood and did a vaginal ultrasound. Then they made us wait for about 4 hours before they finally told us everything looked fine, but I do have a small UTI. Gave me antibiotics and sent me home on bed rest.

The spotting is still there, although it's still brown. I have an appointment with my OB tomorrow, so we'll see what he says, but I just don't feel safe yet. I feel like I'm still in the thick of the woods and poo poo could happen at anytime.

I am a high risk pregnancy due to my weight, but I've been following everything the doctor has been telling me to do. I'm scared and every little twinge I feel in my stomach makes me even more nervous. No serious cramping or anything, but my abdomen feels tight and I'm getting little pings of pain. I think that's the UTI, but who can be sure until things clear up. THIS SUCKS!

Anyone else have experience with bleeding and were you okay? They said it was just "incidental" bleeding. Everything I've read says about 30% of pregnancies spot at one time or another, but I need some reassurance from people who've actually gone through it.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I wrote about mine on the last page--if it was a tear, they'd definitely have seen it on the ultrasound! Mine was a GUSH of red, and baby was still okay. We're getting an ultrasound in 3 hours to check on our progress, but no red blood since then makes me think that things have started to heal. Of course any spotting makes you freak out, and I totally get what you're saying about every twinge being scary now.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
My son shares his name with Tori Spelling's kid and no one has ever mentioned it to me. I think I've only had 3 people in his entire life even manage to equate his name to "oh, isn't there some actor named that?" (Liam Neeson - yeah, totally obscure, right?) In the US, the Beckhams are pretty low on the celebrity totem pole, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you live someplace where the Beckhams are like celebrity royalty. Honestly, I think the only way you really need to worry about using a celebrity baby name is if you're using one of the hosed up weird ones, like Gwyneth Paltrow or Rob Morrow's baby names...in which case I wouldn't really think "Oh, they copied a celebrity name", I'd be thinking "Oh, they named their kid something really loving stupid. Poor kid."

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

So irritated right now! What kind of doctors office doesn't know how to fill out FMLA paperwork for pregnancy?! Anyone else have trouble getting it filled out?

For non-US goons, it's the Federal Medical Leave Act. Basically it says that if a person has to call out due to a medical sickness, they can't be fired. You get up to 12 weeks in one year for it. It's non-paid, but it protects your job. There is an entire section specifically for pregnancy and intermittent leave. So if I had to say, miss work due to going to the hospital for spotting, they can't fire me.

Ben Davis posted:

I wrote about mine on the last page--if it was a tear, they'd definitely have seen it on the ultrasound! Mine was a GUSH of red, and baby was still okay. We're getting an ultrasound in 3 hours to check on our progress, but no red blood since then makes me think that things have started to heal. Of course any spotting makes you freak out, and I totally get what you're saying about every twinge being scary now.

Thanks for this. I know I'm probably worried over nothing. The doctor today said it's most likely due to the placenta coming down to rest on my cervix. He says it's fairly common for it to do that at this time of the pregnancy and some women bleed from it. Having said that though, he wanted me to take two weeks off work for rest. Aye yi yi! That's a lot of missed money if I do that!

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 13, 2011

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

Bodnoirbabe posted:

That's a lot of missed money if I do that!

I'm already out of work for a couple weeks now. I could work if anyone would take me with my restrictions. I could have probably got the restrictions lifted if I didn't have twins growing in my belly. It looks like I'm out of work for the whole 9 months, probably longer. It's a good thing I have my family. I'd be screwed without them.

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Anyone else have experience with bleeding and were you okay? They said it was just "incidental" bleeding. Everything I've read says about 30% of pregnancies spot at one time or another, but I need some reassurance from people who've actually gone through it.

I had brown spotting right around 9 weeks too, probably less than a teaspoon of blood total over two days. I still freaked out, and my OB had me come in for my dating ultrasound/pap smear a week early. The doctor didn't seem worried, he said that the as the embryo grows, it can shift away from the wall of the uterus and release some old blood trapped there. I think it could have been either from sex or a prenatal pilates routine I'd never done before. The ultrasound showed a little wiggly embryo, and I'm now 27.5 weeks along with a healthy boy.

I totally understand where you're coming from, there are so many new sensations that accompany pregnancy. You read things like "don't worry if you spot as long as there's no cramping," and then you're wondering if every twinge of your expanding uterus is a cramp. And then some miscarriages happen with no spotting or cramping at all. I distinctly remember feeling... different abdominal sensations in early pregnancy, but it makes sense - there's a lot of activity going on in there right now! My policy was to just assume it's par for the course unless there was any serious pain. I do still check for blood every time I pee, though, but I am paranoid and will probably do that for the duration. Try not to worry too much :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Speaking of FMLA, I feel obliged to mention that FMLA isn't available for every single US employee. I know for a fact that the company for which you work has to have 50 or more employees for FMLA to kick in. My sister-in-law is dealing with insanity around that right now. What a clusterfuck. She is a teacher at a charter school with like 10 employees. She is due at the end of this month and school starts again in mid-August. They offer absolutely zero leave. Because she's the breadwinner in her family, she might have to be back at work as little as a week or two after her baby is born.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Dr. Octagon posted:

I had brown spotting right around 9 weeks too, probably less than a teaspoon of blood total over two days. I still freaked out, and my OB had me come in for my dating ultrasound/pap smear a week early. The doctor didn't seem worried, he said that the as the embryo grows, it can shift away from the wall of the uterus and release some old blood trapped there. I think it could have been either from sex or a prenatal pilates routine I'd never done before. The ultrasound showed a little wiggly embryo, and I'm now 27.5 weeks along with a healthy boy.

I totally understand where you're coming from, there are so many new sensations that accompany pregnancy. You read things like "don't worry if you spot as long as there's no cramping," and then you're wondering if every twinge of your expanding uterus is a cramp. And then some miscarriages happen with no spotting or cramping at all. I distinctly remember feeling... different abdominal sensations in early pregnancy, but it makes sense - there's a lot of activity going on in there right now! My policy was to just assume it's par for the course unless there was any serious pain. I do still check for blood every time I pee, though, but I am paranoid and will probably do that for the duration. Try not to worry too much :)

Thank you. You've made me feel tons better. Especially about the little twinges and wondering if that's cramping! I'm happy to report the spotting seems to be going away!

Fire In The Disco posted:

Speaking of FMLA, I feel obliged to mention that FMLA isn't available for every single US employee. I know for a fact that the company for which you work has to have 50 or more employees for FMLA to kick in. My sister-in-law is dealing with insanity around that right now. What a clusterfuck. She is a teacher at a charter school with like 10 employees. She is due at the end of this month and school starts again in mid-August. They offer absolutely zero leave. Because she's the breadwinner in her family, she might have to be back at work as little as a week or two after her baby is born.

That's really lovely. I can't believe they don't offer anything. So wrong! I hope things work out for her.

I have a question about those who are breastfeeding and are going to do child centered weening. What if the child doesn't want to ween? What if they turn three? Four? Five? and they still don't want to ween? I know it's not that common, but maybe that's because the mother eventually force weened, but what there are cases of people still breast feeding later in age. There's a documentary about it and everything.

Do you really mean you're just going to keep on going regardless of age? I plan on breastfeeding and I'd like to do child guided weening, but I'm worried they wont want to ween!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I have a question about those who are breastfeeding and are going to do child centered weening. What if the child doesn't want to ween? What if they turn three? Four? Five? and they still don't want to ween? I know it's not that common, but maybe that's because the mother eventually force weened, but what there are cases of people still breast feeding later in age. There's a documentary about it and everything.

Do you really mean you're just going to keep on going regardless of age? I plan on breastfeeding and I'd like to do child guided weening, but I'm worried they wont want to ween!

I think generally by that point it's down to at bedtime only or something like that, so it's not going to be as big of a deal as, say, nursing 5-10 times a day. However, there is something to be said for mom's comfort level. It's a nursing relationship, meaning it goes both ways. And if your child reaches 4, 5, 6 etc. and you're not comfortable with it, then you might want to think of both of you in the equation.

For what it's worth, a woman I know has a daughter the same age as mine (15 months) and a 5 year old, and the 5 year old just weaned, voluntarily. She says that she thought it was seriously never going to end, but her older daughter did one day decide that she wanted a glass of water instead of nursing, and that was the end of it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Bodnoirbabe posted:

My goal is to stop around 12 months, we're at nearly 8 months now. I honestly just want my body back, as in I'd love to get rip-roaring drunk one more time! Our goal is to have another kid when my first is around 2 years old, which means I have maybe a 6 month window of time for grandma to babysit a few times and momma to have some fun! I know that sounds immature, but I've been breastfeeding on demand for nearly 8 months and I could use a break.

I honestly never thought I could go this long but here I am, so I could see people going a few years. My mother-in-law loves to tell the story about how my husband just refused the boob one day, so self-weaning is possible.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Tons of women around the world, and more than you'd think in the US, breastfeed beyond infancy! There are a lot of resources online if you're interested in reading more - there's a forum on child-led weaning (CLW) on mothering.com, a list of benefits of extended breastfeeding on kellymom, here's a couple of posts about BFing toddlers. It certainly isn't a popular outlook, but I think nursing as long as you and your child are happy is the way to go. I'm planning to breastfeed Julia until she wants to wean, unless I hit a point where it's uncomfortable for me before then which would cause me to reevaluate!

A quote from Dr. Sears' Attachment Parenting Book that has resonated with me, in regards to putting your baby on a schedule, is "watch your baby, not the clock". In terms of breastfeeding, replace clock with calendar, and you have my thoughts. That said, whatever works for your family is the best choice to make - just try not to pay much mind to the people who disagree with you. You'll know what's best for your child.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

That makes sense about it being a relationship and stuff. I hope I didn't come off as being judgmental, I was just honestly curious. Thanks for the links, Starshine. I'll give them a read.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
Did anyone else not have the group b strep test at 35-37 weeks? I was expecting it at today's 36 week visit, and it didn't happen, nor was I asked to schedule it. I thought maybe since I was having a planned c-section that was why, but I'm reading that it should be done for every pregnancy. I'll call the doctor tomorrow and see what's up.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

That makes sense about it being a relationship and stuff. I hope I didn't come off as being judgmental, I was just honestly curious. Thanks for the links, Starshine. I'll give them a read.

No you sure didn't, I just wanted to share some stuff I've read. Hope it can help provide some info for you! I've heard plenty of actual judgment on extended BFing, from my own mother no less ;)

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

opie posted:

Did anyone else not have the group b strep test at 35-37 weeks? I was expecting it at today's 36 week visit, and it didn't happen, nor was I asked to schedule it. I thought maybe since I was having a planned c-section that was why, but I'm reading that it should be done for every pregnancy. I'll call the doctor tomorrow and see what's up.

I had mine between 37 and 38 if I remember correctly, because results can change between a four or five week period. My midwife did it later so she didn't have to do two for patients.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Has anyone experienced extreme rage during their pregnancy? I'm a pretty even tempered person, pretty happy for the most part, however for the last few weeks I've been experiencing unbelievable amounts of rage. I try to keep as calm as possible but its getting to a point where my blood pressure and heart rate are constantly up and I know its got to have an effect on my baby. I'm just wondering if anyone else had this and what they did about it?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

My goal is to stop around 12 months, we're at nearly 8 months now. I honestly just want my body back, as in I'd love to get rip-roaring drunk one more time! Our goal is to have another kid when my first is around 2 years old, which means I have maybe a 6 month window of time for grandma to babysit a few times and momma to have some fun! I know that sounds immature, but I've been breastfeeding on demand for nearly 8 months and I could use a break.

I honestly never thought I could go this long but here I am, so I could see people going a few years. My mother-in-law loves to tell the story about how my husband just refused the boob one day, so self-weaning is possible.

I think that sounds reasonable. There's nothing wrong with wanting to (responsibly) blow off some steam, particularly between babies. You sound like a good mom, you're allowed to have your own life as well.

Also, I am heartily recommending swimming to very pregnant women. I am so much more comfortable now and it somehow seems easier to swim now at ~35 weeks than it did back at 25.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Bahunter22 posted:

Has anyone experienced extreme rage during their pregnancy? I'm a pretty even tempered person, pretty happy for the most part, however for the last few weeks I've been experiencing unbelievable amounts of rage. I try to keep as calm as possible but its getting to a point where my blood pressure and heart rate are constantly up and I know its got to have an effect on my baby. I'm just wondering if anyone else had this and what they did about it?

Oh man, this was me. I didn't get weepy when I was pregnant but the closer to my due date, the shorter my temper got. There was one time a coworker was telling me about how her husband wasn't going to travel with her and her kids to visit family because he was worried about the snow accumulating on their roof at home. For what ever reason, this got me so angry that I was almost yelling about it. It took me by surprise and I apologized to her profusely. I'd never reacted like that before.

Unfortunately, the only thing that helped me was to get a lot of sleep, which isn't easy to do when you're pregnant, and avoid people. I pretty much embraced my hermit tendencies.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
I had a pregnant coworker rage at me the other day because I asked how part of the product she works on worked. I don't give a crap that she's pregnant - I'm pregnant and work in the same stressful environment and have never flipped my poo poo at anyone for no reason. Plus she's done this many times before when she wasn't pregnant, although I haven't seen it happen in the past few years. She's never apologized, and didn't in this case either. It's really like a cranky toddler having a tantrum.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive at this point, but in my opinion if she can't behave even remotely professionally at work, then she should stay at home. When I'm in a better mood to deal with her then I'll make sure she knows my feelings about her conduct, but for now I'm just doing my best to avoid her.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007
What got my pregnancy rage on like nothing else was the loving jerks on the bus who wouldn't give me a seat. When I was 8 1/2 months pregnant I got on a moderately busy bus, and a transit driver was hogging two seats in the disabled section of the bus, reading a newspaper and completely ignoring my huge belly right in his face. People would get this shifty look when they saw me, and pretend not to, to keep their seats. After 20 years of courteously riding transit, I would want to scream when the only person to offer me their seat was an elderly woman - this happened all the time. Lady, I don't want your seat, I want the seat of the healthy 30-something guy in a tidy suit next to you! Arghh. The nice thing about becoming a mom is the awesome take-no-prisoners attitude that seems to come along with it. I would certainly turf someone from their seat with no compunctions when I'm pregnant again, and I might embarrass them loudly, too.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
We were planning an IKEA run next week in Minneapolis for some crib hunting but from what I can tell they've pulled all of their cribs from the US as of last week or so. Anyone hear anything about this? Know of any other good baby stores in the area?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Chandrika posted:

What got my pregnancy rage on like nothing else was the loving jerks on the bus who wouldn't give me a seat.

I felt the same way, though I never got really rageful about it. I think I just noticed it more. Things like people not holding the door open for you and it whacking you on the belly. Stuff like that.

I wish I could say people were more considerate when you are hauling around a baby, but the lack of manners remains. I have had people muscle past me for a shopping cart, cut in front of me in line at the grocery store, and the classic wall of people filling the sidewalk who don't make move to make way for me and my child coming from the other direction. People can be assholes.

But I have also had a few awesome experiences, like the man who held my rolling shopping cart while I quickly unloaded it and the grocery store workers who loaded my food onto the checkout lane. People can be great.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

fosborb posted:

We were planning an IKEA run next week in Minneapolis for some crib hunting but from what I can tell they've pulled all of their cribs from the US as of last week or so. Anyone hear anything about this? Know of any other good baby stores in the area?

Target and Babies R Us both carry cribs and quite a bit of other baby items.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Bahunter22 posted:

I seriously have it at the moment. I'm only 9 weeks, but every little thing makes me crazy. So far only the husband has been at the receiving end of my rage. I usually sit there and seethe or make sarcastic remarks. Since nobody knows I'm pregnant they probably think I'm a big fat grumpy jerk. The other day I got murderous rage because someone was blowing bubble gum on the train and it stank. I gave them awful death stares.

I don't know what you can really do about it. Your heartrate is up during pregnancy anyway. I'm thinking of doing some meditation or yoga to try and calm myself a bit. Remove yourself from the situation and have some herbal tea?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

VorpalBunny posted:

My kid is 11 months now and is rapidly losing interest in nursing. I offer him boob before most meals (even activating letdown beforehand in case impatience is the issue) and he refuses, then eats solids like a fiend. He is down to one nursing per day, maybe two. It's a little sad actually because I get afraid he'll just wean completely any day and I wanted to keep going until he starts daycare, but I'm not going to force him ;) (even if it was possible). Like Starshine said, nursing is a relationship, and both parties have to want it.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Panne posted:

My kid is 11 months now and is rapidly losing interest in nursing. I offer him boob before most meals (even activating letdown beforehand in case impatience is the issue) and he refuses, then eats solids like a fiend. He is down to one nursing per day, maybe two. It's a little sad actually because I get afraid he'll just wean completely any day and I wanted to keep going until he starts daycare, but I'm not going to force him ;) (even if it was possible). Like Starshine said, nursing is a relationship, and both parties have to want it.

It's generally believed by boob gurus that babies won't self-wean before 18-24 months. Have you looked at the Kellymom page on nursing strikes? I'm not 100% sure it applies in A's case, but it never hurts to look. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I'm a fellow pregnant rager. Having to smell other people's terrible breath or body odor really just ruins my mood, and I just can't seem to let it go and get over it. I'll go from perfectly fine to wanting to seriously suffocate someone if I have to smell one more stale, reeking breath. A few weeks ago, I got stuck in a middle seat on a 6 hour flight seated between Mr. I-Haven't-Brushed-My-Teeth-in-2-Years and Mr. I'm-Going-to-Sleep-and-Invade-Your-Personal-Space. I was about to stab someone by the time we landed. I'm avoiding travelling and public transportation until I pop in November.

I also frequently dream about beating the poo poo out of people; about 30% of the time it's my husband, 30% is my little brother, and the remainder is zombies, rude strangers, and various celebrities.