Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

SmugDogMillionaire posted:

edit: Quentyn dying is "The Sun Rising in the West and Setting In the East"
Haha, yeah, wouldnt surprise me if this is true. Just like that dude dying because the giant tore him to pieces seems to be part of the Azor Ahai being reborn prophecy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

NihilCredo posted:

"If I look back, I am lost" is the new "You know nothing, Jon Snow" in that I'm sick of hearing it twice a page.

Except that Jon's mantra exhorts him to think, observe, and be careful with judgment, while Dany's mantra is basically "LA LA LA THINKING IS BAD LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU".

Ugh, seriously. I was thinking the exact same thing. "IF YOU LOOK BACK YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY LEARN SOMETHING YOU DUMB BITCH." Not to get all GBS woman hater or anything, it has nothing to do with her being a woman. She's just loving dumb and it's aggravating as gently caress having to read about her smug rear end making bad decisions left and right.

Barristan was completely right when he decided that Dany's love for Daario was a poison. She's too loving dumb to realize it, of course. What does it even say about her moral character that she's in love with a guy like Daario? She admits to herself that the dude has no conscience. He's pretty. That's pretty much his only good characteristic and Dany never elaborates on why she's in love with a complete piece of poo poo scummy dbag like Daario. It's not like the guy's Han Solo.
I did like what the shaved guy said: "Daario might piss on us if we were burning."

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

SmugDogMillionaire posted:

edit: Quentyn dying is "The Sun Rising in the West and Setting In the East"

Dear lord it'd be the funniest thing if Dany were pregnant. But who's the father?!? Tune in next week on Maester Phil!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

*Maester Phil is not a qualified Maester; his leechings are done for entertainment purposes only.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ray_ posted:

Ugh, seriously. I was thinking the exact same thing. "IF YOU LOOK BACK YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY LEARN SOMETHING YOU DUMB BITCH." Not to get all GBS woman hater or anything, it has nothing to do with her being a woman. She's just loving dumb and it's aggravating as gently caress having to read about her smug rear end making bad decisions left and right.

Barristan was completely right when he decided that Dany's love for Daario was a poison. She's too loving dumb to realize it, of course. What does it even say about her moral character that she's in love with a guy like Daario? She admits to herself that the dude has no conscience. He's pretty. That's pretty much his only good characteristic and Dany never elaborates on why she's in love with a complete piece of poo poo scummy dbag like Daario. It's not like the guy's Han Solo.
I did like what the shaved guy said: "Daario might piss on us if we were burning."

When did this sudden infatuation with Daario start? It feels really forced and out of nowhere. Yes, I think Dany did say he was attractive in ASoS, but never more than just in passing.

What are the odds of Illyrio and Varys being fed to Drogon when Dany finds out they've been hiding Aegon all this time and not telling her?

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Ray_ posted:

Dear lord it'd be the funniest thing if Dany were pregnant. But who's the father?!? Tune in next week on Maester Phil!

I don't think she's pregnant yet, but she's described as having an abnormal period in her last chapter which probably says something about her fertility.

Also: the sea of grass is described as dying = "When the seas dry up"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The show alreay gave a huge hint that Dany would eventually become fertile again when they left most of MMD's speech intact but omitted the "when your womb quickens" part.

Speaking of retcons:

quote:

[In Drogo's pyre] The fire burned away my hair, but elsewise it did not touch me. It had been the same in Daznak’s Pit.

So George, what's all that hubbubg about "no, Targs aren't fireproof, what happened in Drogo's pyre was a ONE-TIME THING"?

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 13, 2011

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
The worst chapters in the entire books so far for me are Tyrion's and Dany's. Dany is just whining about this mercenary shithead that no one gives a gently caress about and all of Tyrion's chapters have been one big :goonsay:. Jon's are at least tolerable so I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Victarion's chapters felt kinda shoehorned in. Not a lot of meat in his parts of the book. People say they dislike Tyrion's sections. I liked them because we got to see the ridiculousness of the Yunaki "soldiers".

Out of curiosity, was there ever a culture that fought primarily with mercenaries and slaves? That seems a recipe for disaster on the battlefield.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Aurubin posted:

Victarion's chapters felt kinda shoehorned in. Not a lot of meat in his parts of the book.

I actually liked Victarion's chapters but they needed more more of a conclusion and they needed to be in Feast. Jaime, Cersei, and Arya have the same problem. Their chapters should have been Feast.

I feel like if you were to meld the two books into one, cut a huge amount of the bullshit, and stick in some of the first chapters from Winds of Winter, we would have a SoS caliber book. These last two books have been an absolute pain in the rear end with the way the seem to cutoff mid plot and the eternal wait between books manages to kill all tension from the stupid cliffhangers.

SmugDogMillionaire fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 13, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Aurubin posted:

Out of curiosity, was there ever a culture that fought primarily with mercenaries and slaves? That seems a recipe for disaster on the battlefield.
The classical version of the Punic Wars goes that noble Rome's citizen-soldiers proved so much superior to Carthago's mercenaries. Of course, that's how Roman historians saw it.

In the world of ASOIAF, I can't see how slave soldiers could be any worse than peasant levies.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

In the world of ASOIAF, I can't see how slave soldiers could be any worse than peasant levies.

Peasants have more to fight for than slaves, I think the idea is. They also might actually believe in the cause they're fighting for.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Contra Calculus posted:

The worst chapters in the entire books so far for me are Tyrion's and Dany's. Dany is just whining about this mercenary shithead that no one gives a gently caress about and all of Tyrion's chapters have been one big :goonsay:. Jon's are at least tolerable so I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Yeah, I have to agree about both of those. Tyrion's started off entertaining but for the first time, I find myself wanting to skip them. I don't give two fucks about either Daario or Penny.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

VaultAggie posted:

I don't give two fucks about either Daario or Penny.

Same here.

Daenerys posted:

What have I done? she thought, huddled in her empty bed. I have waited so long for him to come back, and I send him away.

:suicide:

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking forward to seeing more interaction between the gods/magic and the POVs. Victarion (and his connection to both the Drowned God and R'hllor), I hope, will be awesome.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
This summarizes all of Dany's chapters:

quote:

Just past midday she came upon a bush growing by the stream, its twisted limbs covered with hard green berries. Dany squinted at them suspiciously, then plucked one from a branch and nibbled at it. Its flesh was tart and chewy, with a bitter aftertaste that seemed familiar to her. “In the khalasar, they used berries like these to flavor roasts,” she decided. Saying it aloud made her more certain of it. Her belly rumbled, and Dany found herself picking berries with both hands and tossing them into her mouth.

An hour later, her stomach began to cramp so badly that she could not go on. She spent the rest of that day retching up green slime.

Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was making GBS threads brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water. When she closed her eyes at last, Dany did not know whether she would be strong enough to open them again.

The great M
Sep 10, 2010

The prince.

And then you.
The more she drank, the more she shat,

American Tolkien.

Soviet
Jul 17, 2003

stick it in me

b0lt posted:

Right after this would have been the perfect time to kill dany off.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

b0lt posted:

What the gently caress christ.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

b0lt posted:

I'm having trouble believing that quote is real :colbert:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

^^^^
It is. poo poo is glorious.

Soviet posted:

Right after this would have been the perfect time to kill dany off.

The best moment to kill her would have been when Drogon shows up in the pit. I hoped she was about to get a mortal lesson of the "if you abandon Westeros to marry some random slaver, the dragons will also abandon you" kind. Plus a righteous Red Wedding moment for all the Dany fans.

Then the plot would become about which Westerosi could manage to tame the motherless dragons and bring them to the Seven Kingdom, and between Aegon's blood, Victarion's horn and Tyrion's knowledge there would have been plenty of options.

Edit: Lord Manderly might officially be the most awesome Northerner alive:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/53305-adwd-spoilers-menu-for-a-feast/
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Rat_Cook

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 13, 2011

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A close friend just posted about receiving the book on facebook, so I posted every spoiler I know. :unsmith:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/53305-adwd-spoilers-menu-for-a-feast/
Haha, holy poo poo. I should really pay more attention, because the GURM, even though he's an absolute fucker, really loves to put all this awesome little things in it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Fly Molo posted:

A close friend just posted about receiving the book on facebook, so I posted every spoiler I know. :unsmith:

Congratulations. Do you want a cookie for that?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Kjoery posted:

I'm having trouble believing that quote is real :colbert:
Oh its real. As real as A dance with dragons is. :stare:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

b0lt posted:

Oh Gurm :allears: We don't even need the old bad thread to come back. Just post random ADWD passages and it will be at the exact same level of quality as the previous threads.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

NihilCredo posted:

- I can't see Theon as being now a physical eunuch. It's really not GRRM's style to gliss over such matters over what, seven POV chapters? Also there is stuff like this:

which does not strictly imply he still has a cock, but I can't see those exact words being used if he did not.

*Cock talk*

Stuff like

"He has only taken toes and fingers and that other thing, when he might have had my tongue ..."

'"Do as she says," Ser Aenys said. "Show us your hands."
Theon peeled his gloves off and held his hands up for them to see. It is not as if I stand before them naked. It is not so bad as that.'

as well the obvious "but I have no..." bit with not-Arya and the foreshadowing in ACoK

'Last night in his dream he had been in bed with her once again, but this time she had teeth above and below, and she tore out his throat even as she was gnawing off his manhood.'

pretty strongly suggests he's been mutilated.

On the other hand Theon does want to gently caress the girls in Winterfell, and it seems to be fear of what would happen if he did rather than not being able to at all. And Ramsay asking if not-Arya makes his cock hard could be mockery or pride at having psychologically emasculated Theon so completely.

He probably has been gelded as GRRM doesn't gently caress around and it's a more interesting arc for the character. I just like Theon, he seems like one of the genuinely tragic characters right from the start and this just seems excessive. He could be a broken man who slowly redeems himself without it having happened.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I wonder what the dude who plays Theon in the show was thinking when reading the Theon chapters. :lol:

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
Hahahaha this book owns jesus christ

Tyrion went from one of my favorite characters to one of my most hated in the short span of four chapters :smith:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

NihilCredo posted:

Lord Manderly is indeed loving awesome. All he wants is his liege lord back when all these other assholes want money, power or dragons. In fact, this booko really brings out the awesomeness of the North. The Theon chapters and Davos chapters show how many people are loving pissed off at the Freys and want vengeance. :black101:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

b0lt posted:

Six. loving years.

NihilCredo posted:

Congratulations. Do you want a cookie for that?

Go away :unsmith:

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Hey guys I'm a freshly ran-away slave in the middle of a slaver army camp and I can't stop crying and asking about my annoyingly-named pig Pretty Pig and dog Crunch and complaining about getting delivered from slavery! It wasn't so bad being a slave!

Ugh, gently caress you Penny. Stop being so loving annoying. She's like Sansa in books 1/2, only a little shorter and dumber.

Denzer
May 15, 2009
This is a book about food, eating, and fat people.

minema
May 31, 2011
At least Tyrion doing backflips all the way back in GOT makes a little more sense.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Three thoughts for y'all:

1. There's no way Ramsay's letter to Jon is all truth. If it came to battle, Manderly would gently caress the Boltons up. The other northmen probably would too. I can't see many northmen fighting other northmen for the Boltons and Freys. Especially the Freys. Having them there is probably more harm than good for the Boltons.

2. The Green Grace is the Harpy. The dude Dany stupidly married isn't the Harpy, but he's obviously tightly involved. A harpy is a woman, after all.

3. No way is Jon dead.
I finally got to that chapter and he's got his two guards, Horse and Rory, Leathers (who apparently is a badass swordsman), a loving giant that likes Jon, and a slew of other people - Night's Watch brothers and wildlings both - that would probably rush to defend him.

Bowen Marsh has stewards. Wick is a "gangling" steward that looked scared, and was one of the guys Marsh had in the Shieldhall with him. He only had 2 other dudes, for a total of 4 including himself. It's possible he's recruited others to his cause, but somehow I don't see Marsh being cunning enough to plan anything more complicated than yelling "GET HIM!" We don't even know if Othell Yarwyck is with him. I tend to think not - Yarwyck seems a loyal dude, and not nearly as outspoken a critic as Marsh.

There's just no way they'll be allowed to finish the job on him, they were probably cut down 2 seconds after the last line in the chapter. Maybe the wounds we read about are enough to kill him, but I doubt it.

Besides all of that, Mel knew what was going to happen. No way she lets him walk into that ambush if he was going to die. I could easily see her letting it happen as another way to prove her power to him.

Finally, even if he somehow does die, Mel will resurrect him with the kiss of life or whatever it's called. It'll be the first time she's performed the right in years (we never see her do it) and will be surprised to find it brings Jon back, much like Thoros was surprised. Difference will be Jon not being dead for very long vs Beric being dead a few hours I think.

I'm not convinced he's Azor Ahai though. I guess the bloody Dallas Cowboys cloak the knight had on could be the red star bleeding, but where's the salt and smoke?

Dany just fits it a ton better. Dragonstone = smoke and salt. So does the funeral pyre she lit for Drogo - lots of people were crying. The most obvious is of course the comet appearing for the first time the night her dragons (Lightbringer, forged with the blood of her son and husband, duh) hatched.

It'd be cool if the comet came back the day/night Jon gets stabbed though. Just to make it more ambiguous.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Just finished. That'd have been a great 300-pager.

My only request for the Winds of Winter is that Darrio and Penny both drop off the face of the Earth. Good god Martin, what in the gently caress made you think you could write romance?

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coffeetable posted:

My only request for the Winds of Winter is that Darrio and Penny both drop off the face of the Earth. Good god Martin, what in the gently caress made you think you could write romance?

Do you really think it's romance? I don't think it is at all.

Penny is virtually Tysha, but I don't think he wants Tysha anymore, only his memory of her

Lenin Stimpy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 16, 2011

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

coffeetable posted:

Just remove Tyrion and Dany by having the dragons eat them. Unless Tyrion goes back to his bro4life Bronn for more wacky adventures, then he's cool again.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Also Daario is that one imbecilic relationship choice you made with a blue beard.

fe: wait, wait. just went on the wikia for ASOIAF: "He keeps his beard cut in three prongs, all dyed blue. His eyes are blue and his curly hair is dyed blue. His mustachios are painted gold and he has a large, curving nose. He is lithe, smooth skinned, has a golden tooth and dresses in loud colors and finery."

real edit: holy poo poo, Charlie Mopps just made me realize that we never liked Tyrion. It was Bronn's greatness reflected in him.

e3: from the IRC channel: [19:36] <Kylaer> I just realized [19:36] <Kylaer> THE DWARF'S PENNY

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
So yeah, I just finished the book. I wasn't expecting that much, but I was positively surprised by this one. It's a contender for my favorite book in the series. Some bad things though:

The Tyrion chapters were the Brienne chapters of the book, but I never really cared about him in the first place so oh well.
gently caress Baby-Aegon.
The Daario Naharis/Daenerys romance was terrible in Storms and it is terrible in this one as well. Yes, I get that she's 15 years old and has raging hormones, it still doesn't make much sense at all.

Other than that I had a great time reading it. The Theon chapters were particularly gripping.

e; Ramsay is lying about Stannis, Jon is totally dead.

This book also made me appreciate Lord Manderly. "Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey" indeed :drat: . He might me my new favorite northern lord, replacing Roose.

And gently caress you Varys. :qq: SER KEVAN :qq: .

e2; It was however obvious that he had to cut a lot of stuff out of this book as well, and it was fairly disjointed.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 14, 2011