Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
loving awesome. I just tuned them with a colorimeter, and they are perfect. No scratches, no dings, less than 5000 hours of use. I didn't ask any questions. Oh god yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

probably drunk posted:

this garage sale had two 30'' dell LCDs for $75 each. Bought both.

Where do you live? Unrelated question: would there be a lengthy investigation if you mysteriously died?

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
They are the original version, the non HC. Does this mean they are crappy?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

probably drunk posted:

They are the original version, the non HC. Does this mean they are crappy?
You just got two 30" monitors for $150 total. Shut your mouth! :argh:

In all serious, though, no, they're not crappy at all. The major differences between the 3007WFP and the 3007WFP-HC (which is what I'm assuming you're talking about, since I don't think the '08 or later had variants) is a jump from 72% to 92% NTSC coverage and a drop from ~14ms response time to ~8ms. It also has more inputs. So the WFP is basically just a really big (albeit, nice) TN monitor, while the -HC is a somewhat extended (for a TN) gamut monitor with a few more bells and whistles. It's still a loving fantastic monitor for $75, though!

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax

DrDork posted:

You just got two 30" monitors for $150 total. Shut your mouth! :argh:

In all serious, though, no, they're not crappy at all. The major differences between the 3007WFP and the 3007WFP-HC (which is what I'm assuming you're talking about, since I don't think the '08 or later had variants) is a jump from 72% to 92% NTSC coverage and a drop from ~14ms response time to ~8ms. It also has more inputs. So the WFP is basically just a really big (albeit, nice) TN monitor, while the -HC is a somewhat extended (for a TN) gamut monitor with a few more bells and whistles. It's still a loving fantastic monitor for $75, though!

Oh. Ugh. These are even TN? Huge but what a waste. I guess I'll give one to my mom and another to a friend.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

probably drunk posted:

Oh. Ugh. These are even TN? Huge but what a waste. I guess I'll give one to my mom and another to a friend.
Ack! No, sorry. I must have nodded off while I was typing that and didn't notice my mistake. The 3007WFP is a S-IPS monitor. However, due to the CCFL it uses, its color-space is pretty similar to a TN monitor (though it should still look a bit better). The 3007WFP-HC's CCFL lets it extend its color-space to what would be "wide-gamut" compared to a TN in 2007, but falls a little short of what most people mean today when they say "wide-gamut."

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
They're definitely not TN, and just looking at them would tell you that. you lucky bastard.

the panel: LG.Philips S-IPS LM300W01, (true 8-bit)
W-CCFL backlighting

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 10, 2011

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
guess mom has a new wide gamut professional monitor to play her rollercoaster tycoon on

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

probably drunk posted:

guess mom has a new wide gamut professional monitor to play her rollercoaster tycoon on

nothing says "requires wide gamut" like a game that runs in 256-colour mode

Mart
Jun 13, 2001

by T. Couchfucker
I hate reading posts like these, but it's another one of those 'tell me what to buy' posts.
I'm not sure if it's this thread, or the HDTV Megathread where this question is most appropriate, but I'll try here first. I've browsed around the AVS Forums and there's so many threads I'm not entirely sure where to start.

I currently have a 4 year old 32' Samsung LE32N73 as the display for my PC. I bought it at the time as it had a 1:1 pixel resolution and from what research I did, seemed to have a good response time/contrast. Unfortunately time has taken it's toll, I'm starting to get some image burn, the contrast isn't what it used to be and i'm getting horrific banding on greys.
I'm not sure how much PC to TV nativeness has progressed in the last 4 years but I'm now in the market for a £500-600 TV to be used as my monitor, preferably 42' but if image quality is substantially better on 32' at a similar price point I'll take one of those.

What reading I've done is pointing me towards the Sony KDL-40EX503, which I can pick up for around £550 and is 40'.

Any recommendation/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

probably drunk posted:

Does your mom frequently leave those monitors unattended? Unrelated question: is there a key to your mom's place stored secretively under a doormat?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Mart posted:

I'm not sure how much PC to TV nativeness has progressed in the last 4 years but I'm now in the market for a £500-600 TV to be used as my monitor, preferably 42' but if image quality is substantially better on 32' at a similar price point I'll take one of those.
Not a whole lot, sadly. There are still various issues with using a TV as a PC monitor, to the point where it's still not recommended. Still, if you're going to go that route, smaller TVs will always result in higher image quality than larger ones, and one that supports 1920x1080p input via a computer-aware HDMI/DVI port will minimize the fuckery that the TV will impose on the image. In that sense the Sony looks like a decent pick, but it'll still never look as good as a normal PC monitor.

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

Just recently moved to a dual monitor setup, my only problem is that when I switch to game it leaves the other monitor on as the 'desktop' and any mouse movement towards that edge ends up in it, making it a bitch to play RTS'. Is it possible to have Windows detect a switch to a video game and disable the other monitor or is that just something I have to do by hand everytime I want to play a game?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DrDork posted:

Not a whole lot, sadly. There are still various issues with using a TV as a PC monitor, to the point where it's still not recommended. Still, if you're going to go that route, smaller TVs will always result in higher image quality than larger ones, and one that supports 1920x1080p input via a computer-aware HDMI/DVI port will minimize the fuckery that the TV will impose on the image. In that sense the Sony looks like a decent pick, but it'll still never look as good as a normal PC monitor.

Coming from an older TV it shouldn't matter so much though (especially a 1366x768 model, I just don't know how you could cope with that resolution on a large screen)

For what its worth my Sony KDL40ex500 is fairly okay to use as a monitor but I wouldn't want to do it full time. It also looks pretty much the same through VGA and HDMI.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Detetsu posted:

Just recently moved to a dual monitor setup, my only problem is that when I switch to game it leaves the other monitor on as the 'desktop' and any mouse movement towards that edge ends up in it, making it a bitch to play RTS'. Is it possible to have Windows detect a switch to a video game and disable the other monitor or is that just something I have to do by hand everytime I want to play a game?
That's a per-game thing. Games which have a full-screen mode will "trap" the mouse to the screen and not let you mouse outside it. The downside is that, obviously, you then can't mouse outside it (at least not without alt-tab) in order to look something up or whatnot. But for RTSs, just set them to fullscreen and call it a day.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I'm looking for a new monitor now that my E2210 has started to die on me, I'm a poor college kid though, so no 30' Ultrasharp for me. What's the best I can get in the $200-300 price range?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Jaramin posted:

What's the best I can get in the $200-300 price range?
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?cs=19&c=us&l=en&sku=320-9270

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Don't know what to buy? The U2311H is good. Buy the U2311H.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
What's a good price for a U2311H? They are currently $279 with free shipping and I'm thinking of buying two. If I only really need one, should I get one now and wait for a cheaper price to buy the other?

Also, I saw some people mention that you can talk to the live chat sales rep and ask for a lower price/discount. Any tips on how to do that?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
$280 is a $40 discount, which isn't bad. It's not the best price we've seen--I think they've been close to $100 off during their blow-out sales, but it's a pretty "average" sale. The sales cycle every few weeks, so it's up to you to decide if you want to continue waiting. It's not a bad price, though.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

probably drunk posted:

this garage sale had two 30'' dell LCDs for $75 each. Bought both.
do you know how much I dropped on this 30" ACD? I hate you eternally

e: wait what kind of person owns two 30" monitors and doesn't know how much they are worth?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

e: wait what kind of person owns two 30" monitors and doesn't know how much they are worth?

A person who finds an opportunity to buy two 30' LCD monitors for $150 total?

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

BossTweed posted:

What's a good price for a U2311H? They are currently $279 with free shipping and I'm thinking of buying two. If I only really need one, should I get one now and wait for a cheaper price to buy the other?

Also, I saw some people mention that you can talk to the live chat sales rep and ask for a lower price/discount. Any tips on how to do that?

Call in and ask for a sales rep for Dell Accessories: Ultrasharp Monitors. Last week I spoke with an awesome guy who brought down the U2410 down an extra $40 (in addition with the special sales price) after speaking with his supervisor.

Subtotal: $449.00
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Tax: $34.80
Environmental Disposal Fee: $8.00 -- California :argh:
Total Price w/Discounts: $491.80

You just have to be nice to them on the phone. Let me know if you want me to shoot you a PM with his direct email.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I'm shopping to set up a monitor for an HTPC to be used in a smallish room, and was considering this 24" monitor that was mentioned a page or so ago here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

Then I just ran across this, which is 32" and on sale for only $299:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05771321000P?sid=I0084400010000100383&aff=Y

The ASUS is higher resolution, but since I won't be doing much if any gaming on it I'm not sure I care. Those extra 8" seem like they'd make a big difference and are worth $100. I had a 42" 1080p TV in that room at one point, but it seemed almost too big.

Does anybody know anything about that Toshiba or is there something really crappy about it that I'm missing?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
It really depends what you plan on using it for. If the ONLY thing you're going to be using it for is low-res movies (youtube, hulu, DVD's, etc) and TV, and you're going to be sitting a reasonable distance (more than 5') away, then it may make more sense to go with the larger TV, since the resolution difference will be reduced due to the poor source image and the viewing distance.

On the other hand, if you're going to be watching HD-anything, reading text of any sort (including web-pages), or sitting closer than a normal couch-to-TV distance, you'll definitely notice the resolution difference.

Either way, I strongly suspect you can get a better 32" TV for that price. http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AT3265-32-Inch-1080p-LCD/dp/B003WQ4U0A/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1310498835&sr=1-2 <-- 32" 1080p for about $300. If you're going to get a TV, I strongly suggest a 1080p one.

e; also, gently caress the Sears site. Who makes you go all the way to the logged-in checkout page before you can see special item pricing? Just show it when you add it to the cart, for gently caress's sake!

DrDork fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 12, 2011

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Oh nice, I don't plan on really doing anything with it except stream netflix, but if I can get something that much better for only $10 more I might as well leave those possibilities open for the future.

Funny, the last time I was shopping for a TV the consensus here was that 1080p was a ripoff because you could hardly tell the difference anyways, but I guess the price difference has gotten small enough that it's worth it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, the difference between a 720p and 1080p TV when all you're doing is playing DVDs is pretty minimal. But when you've got access to 1080p content, the minor price premium for 1080p is well worth it. Doubly so if you ever happen to have to read text on the TV.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Mitsune posted:

Call in and ask for a sales rep for Dell Accessories: Ultrasharp Monitors. Last week I spoke with an awesome guy who brought down the U2410 down an extra $40 (in addition with the special sales price) after speaking with his supervisor.

Subtotal: $449.00
Tax: $34.80
Environmental Disposal Fee: $8.00 -- California :argh:
Total Price w/Discounts: $491.80

You just have to be nice to them on the phone. Let me know if you want me to shoot you a PM with his direct email.

Awsome, thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot and PM you if I don't get anywhere.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Ok, I just bought the Acer. Thanks for the advice!

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Does a second monitor put a significant extra load on the graphics card if it's not doing anything heavy-duty? I'd like to get an HP ZR30W and keep my 1600x1200 monitor as a secondary. My video card is a Radeon 5850, which is supposed to handle 2560x1600 (with just the one monitor) decently. I was planning to just get the monitor and use it with what I have (mostly for CAD/CAM, at least until Arkham City comes out) until I find the money to get a new SSD alongside a new video card.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Cockmaster posted:

Does a second monitor put a significant extra load on the graphics card if it's not doing anything heavy-duty? I'd like to get an HP ZR30W and keep my 1600x1200 monitor as a secondary. My video card is a Radeon 5850, which is supposed to handle 2560x1600 (with just the one monitor) decently. I was planning to just get the monitor and use it with what I have (mostly for CAD/CAM, at least until Arkham City comes out) until I find the money to get a new SSD alongside a new video card.

1) Nope, the load of showing a non-gaming screen for general stuff like web and office work is miniscule compared to a GPU's power. Gaming on one and real-time rendering on another would choke it up, though, so watch it with the CAD/CAM stuff.

2) 2560x1600 refers to the highest resolution it can be set to, not the highest resolution it will game well at. A 5850 is a good card, but anything more strenuous than a Source game probably won't run as well as you'd want at 2560x resolutions. That really calls for a 5-/6950 or beefier.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cockmaster posted:

Does a second monitor put a significant extra load on the graphics card if it's not doing anything heavy-duty?
I have a 5850, and I run 2x 1920x1200 and a 1920x1080 monitors all at the same time with no problem. Adding extra monitors that aren't doing 3D isn't something you need to worry about with a modern card; they're fast enough they simply don't care how many 2D screens you're pushing--as can be seen by the ATI Eyefinity Edition cards which'll happily push 6 monitors at once (and even that's really only limited by the physical number of ports on the back). As Factory noted, the 5850's a decent card, but not top of the line anymore, so while it would certainly work for CAD/CAM and not-quite-current games, if you wanted to play Witcher 2 at full prettiness, it's not gonna happen on a 30" with that card.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dell Canada has the U2311H on sale today, $80 off.

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&oc=320-9270_R_1

$239.00

Also their 3D Alienware OptX 23", $120 off.

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&oc=320-8846_R_1

$379.00

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM
:smug:
Items Ordered Price
1 of: ASUS VW246H 24-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black [Electronics]
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
$199.00
Amazon Prime: Two-Day Shipping is free

Item(s) Subtotal: $199.00
-----
Total Before Tax: $199.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Gift Certificate/Card Amount: $172.86
Rewards Points: $26.08
-----
Total for This Shipment: $0.06
Total paid by Rewards Points: $26.08
Total paid by Gift Certificate/Card: $172.86

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

probably drunk out :smug:ed you pretty hard dude, you're going to have to do a bit better than that.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I'm currently using a Dell U2311h which is all sorts of awesome. However, I'm moving to Japan for a year or three in a couple of weeks, and I don't intend to lug the monitor with me.
Any suggestions on what to get? I'm focused more on where to get one - it's not like Japan isn't going to have nice monitors available, but the language barrier is kind of problematic. My plan at the moment is to just get something from Amazon.co.jp, like this.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

http://accessories.apj.dell.com/sna...arch&redirect=1

That's the U2311H on the Dell Japan site. A hair less than US$240 at current exchange rates.

Mart
Jun 13, 2001

by T. Couchfucker
So other than the Sony, would I be better off looking into a 32-inch monitor? I saw the Acer posted above and apparently they're incredibly difficult to buy in the UK.
Any recommendations for 32 inch monitors? Preferably around £500-600?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Dell U2711 (27 inches):
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...k=baynoteSearch

£559 is not a bad price at all for this monitor. You won't get any decent monitors at 30" or more around that price though, due to:

DrDork posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I don't know if this has been posted yet but, contrary to earlier rumours, it was confirmed that Dell's successor to the U2410 - the U2412 - is going to have a 16:10 aspect ratio.

It'll also be WLED backlit so will be a standard gamut screen, which will mean the more common and cheaper e-IPS, 6 bit+FRC panel should lower the cost of the monitor.

I don't think it's a bad move by Dell. I doubt many regular users cared about the wide gamut colour spaces, and the professional users who did bought NECs and Eizos anyway.