Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
Wretch was is awesome, gently caress the haters.

e: New page, thus content: Old Witch is a doomy black metal band from Toronto, awesome stuff.

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro_69
Jul 23, 2006

plester1 posted:

They're from Italy.

:smith:

More to the point, I think the main reason is that a lot of bands outside of the US find it prohibitively expensive to tour here.

On the note of Ufomammut, from what was posted at Last.FM, it looks like they did a couple shows in California.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So, am I the only one that actually liked Kyuss' Wretch? I got it for my birthday and love the album, but it looks like even the band has disowned it. I really don't get it. I'd cut Big Bikes off of the album, but other than that it's great.

You take that back about Big Bikes :colbert:

It's probably my least favourite Kyuss album, which still makes it a really good album, very enjoyable and I love that rumbling, muddy sound.

e: \/\/ the lyrics are childish but they also make me laugh almost every time.

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 30, 2011

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's the lyrics. They are childish. And since I have been listening to it with my windows rolled down, I have to skip it or turn it down out of shame.

I really like the extra speed a lot of Wretch has. I'm not knocking the slower style they settled into. I love it tuned low and played slow, but tuned low and played fast is a hell of a lot of fun too.

Oliveri's bass playing is especially great. Bass is one of those things that you can get away with slacking off on, but really stands out when you do it right.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Kamni has a new release, A.T.O.M. I haven't gotten yet, but I will be picking it up since I enjoy their first EP immensely.

EDIT - Oh, apparently Stoned Jesus also put something new out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My best friend and I were working on some stoner metal like we always do and decided to take a break by recording a cover of Weedeater's "Monkey Junction".

Uploaded for your enjoyment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZvL_lpSxts

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are you guys from New Jersey? I like the cover for the most part, but there are times where the vocals sound really off because it sounds like you (or your friend) have a Jersey accent.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are you guys from New Jersey? I like the cover for the most part, but there are times where the vocals sound really off because it sounds like you (or your friend) have a Jersey accent.

Nope, that's my friend Kelly. Cute tiny little girl with a huge gnarly voice.

And nope we're actually from North Carolina, about a 3 hours drive from Wilmington, where Weedeater is from :)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Nope, that's my friend Kelly. Cute tiny little girl with a huge gnarly voice.

is she hot

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I actually thought the timbre sounded like a female voice, but I didn't want to risk insulting a guy named Kelly in case I was wrong.

What's the story behind the waffle song you've got on there?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Regarding the cover I gotta say it's a perfect example why Weedeater rules so much. Your version is a simple riff played for 4 minutes with no variation. It's a good riff, but without the buildups, the octaves and both Dixies and Shep's tone it's just boring.

Vox are good though, I'd start a band with that chick.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
True, Shep's guitar doesn't actually play over the riff very much, a lot of it is slow textures and harmonies. I think if you learned them and put them in a new layer on the song it'd give it a fair bit more life.

Her voice is loving sick though, I hope she puts it to good use in the future.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I actually thought the timbre sounded like a female voice, but I didn't want to risk insulting a guy named Kelly in case I was wrong.

What's the story behind the waffle song you've got on there?

Haha. I ate a bomb-rear end waffle and wrote a goth song about it. There's no "story" per se.

Dyna Soar posted:

Regarding the cover I gotta say it's a perfect example why Weedeater rules so much. Your version is a simple riff played for 4 minutes with no variation. It's a good riff, but without the buildups, the octaves and both Dixies and Shep's tone it's just boring.

I can agree with that. Like I said, it's just something we threw together in 20 minutes while I was playing around with guitar tone and stuff.

Idioteque Dance posted:

Her voice is loving sick though, I hope she puts it to good use in the future.

Yeah, she's actually moving to Austin soon and already has plans to join a band she knows out there.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

NuclearGuru posted:

I'm going to this as well, it's gonna be awesome. I'll be seeing them in NYC, what about you?

nah, Pittsburgh

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I don't think anyone has posted this yet - I found this last week:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f19/bongripper-swd-684591/

Ron from Bongripper uploaded the bass and drum only tracks for Hail and Worship.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Do any of you musicians know of any good resource/forum for learning about amplification/technique/tips + tricks that's specifically tailored to playing sludge/doom metal?

I've been playing music for a long time and I'm finally starting to dabble into playing the genre, but with a genre that's basically defined by amazing tone and sound quality it would be nice to have a primer.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
You don't need any special equipment to play this kind of stuff, no matter what gear snobs may say (I'm not suggesting that anyone in this thread is a snob). Doom bands frequently tune down, so you'll need a guitar that can handle that. In my experience, almost any guitar can work as long as it's set up properly. In terms of guitar amplification, you'll want a tube amp that's loud enough to keep up with a heavy hitting drummer. Names like Matamp, Orange, Sunn, Hiwatt and Sound City are often seen as "holy grails" of stoner/doom tone, but I think any loud tube amp should work fine. If it doesn't have a good built-in overdriven tone, throw your overdrive/distortion/fuzz box of choice out in front. You'll probably want a 4x12 cab, or two of them if you're going for the full stack o' doom effect.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Juaguocio posted:

You don't need any special equipment to play this kind of stuff, no matter what gear snobs may say (I'm not suggesting that anyone in this thread is a snob). Doom bands frequently tune down, so you'll need a guitar that can handle that. In my experience, almost any guitar can work as long as it's set up properly. In terms of guitar amplification, you'll want a tube amp that's loud enough to keep up with a heavy hitting drummer. Names like Matamp, Orange, Sunn, Hiwatt and Sound City are often seen as "holy grails" of stoner/doom tone, but I think any loud tube amp should work fine. If it doesn't have a good built-in overdriven tone, throw your overdrive/distortion/fuzz box of choice out in front. You'll probably want a 4x12 cab, or two of them if you're going for the full stack o' doom effect.

Good advice, I'll add to it.

Choose a guitar with a fixed bridge - they offer better sustain which is almost essential for the style, and if you aren't experienced with setting up guitars, tuning low with heavy strings and a trem can be pretty difficult to set up and keep up. Gibson guitars are frequently used - heavier/denser woods are desirable, often mahogany, because of the low-mid resonance. Fender guitars are usually alder, Ibanez uses basswood often - neither wood is very well suited for doom. There are a lot of good guitars from smaller companies, but the big ones provide a pretty good reference point.

Bigger strings equals bigger tone. You don't need to use the heaviest, but try to go a bit heavier on the bottom string at the very least. You can use the top five of a standard 10-46 set for standard, but you should try a step or two heavier on the bottom. I use the 13-17-26-36-46 of a standard set and a 66 on the bottom for tuning to B standard and the extra tension on the lowest string helps with tone and stability since it takes a beating. I personally like SIT strings as they stay in tune well, especially with the heavier strings.

Finally, the amp is the majority of the tone you get from your equipment. The holy grails of doom are really awesome, really expensive amps, but they sound great. There are still guys who use amps that aren't like those holy grails though - I have seen Matt Pike use Blackstar, Green, Laney, Marshall, Matamp, Mesa, Orange, Soldano... from common/standard ones to the rare vintage ones, he gets a great tone out of whatever he uses.

You need to spend a lot of time tweaking your setup to make everything sound right in conjunction with each other, then you need to adjust that again so it sounds right when you're playing with a bassist and drummer. Getting your guitar/pickups/strings/pedals/preamp/amp/cabs/whatever all set up to your content takes tons of experimenting and tons of time. Finding the right one of each to work with the others, then finding the right settings of each in conjunction with the others, will test your patience. Your amp is the #1 priority, then everything else, as with a decent guitar and a great amp you can get a great tone. You should also strongly consider investing in an attenuator if your amp is over 30 watts, because you need to push the tubes to near their limit and you can't expect everyone to be able to adjust their volume to your max volume if you have a 200w amp.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Downtune, lotsa fuzz. That's where you start. IMO our demo sounds decent and we're using a tube hughes & kettner, an ss randall & a hybrid orange amp (guitar, guitar & bass respectively) and a shitload of different fuzz pedals. Fixed bridge isn't necessary, in fact I don't think any of my bandmates from either band uses one. I agree that the amp is the most important thing if you want a really awesome tone, but you can get decent results with just any amp and using a good fuzz pedal with it. Big Muffs (get a russian one!) are widely used if a bit generic.

If you're on a budget, I suggest buying a late 70s / early 80s Sunn O))) solid state from ebay. I've seen Concert leads go for less than 400 bucks all the time.

Greg Anderson with Goatsnake has the best guitar tone I've ever heard, and he uses one of those old Sunn O))) solid states for the tone. They're ridiculously underrated.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 7, 2011

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

At long last, Fanatics arrived.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
Congrats HMorg! I've listened to mine like 10 times over now.

In other news... the new Kamni is loving AMAZING. The production values are through the roof, and they've managed to amaze me once again. They combine bits of psychedelic-sounding, spacey stuff with back-wrenching riffs. The 2nd track in particular has a riff tone that some bearded brother in this thread must elaborate on, like how they achieved it. Incredible stuff. The 3rd track starts with a space-trip that leads to a crushing riff-filled end.

The final of 4 tracks (called A.T.O.M., the same title as the album itself) is a 15+ minute mystical haze designed to only sound fantastic after numerous rips off the biggest bong you have. I would kill 1000 hobos in bloody combat to see these guys live. They remind me of Mammatus crossed with early Electric Wiz combined with enough weed to nuke a planet.

Simply stunning, get it post haste.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Diseased Yak posted:

Congrats HMorg! I've listened to mine like 10 times over now.

In other news... the new Kamni is loving AMAZING.

Their EP last year or whenever it was was pretty great, can't wait to give ATOM a listen.

Psychedelius
Apr 24, 2010

The new Sungrazer LP Mirador is out and it's pretty good. The whole album can be streamed here.

They've got a really nice warm psychedelic sound, comparable to Colour Haze but a tad rockier with some spacey delay jams thrown in.

shiatza
May 15, 2005

shiatza fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 7, 2015

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, their first EP had a lot of potential so I'm glad to see them following up with something worthwhile. Anyone else get a big Bong vibe from this album? (the band I mean, although...) Particularly like the first half of track 3 for example.

I'm sober at the moment though so I look forward to listening to it tonight :)

Thanks also for people chiming in on guitar advice, I haven't quite got there with getting a proper amp yet (only just starting to get together with other fellow doomers), more getting the right guitar, pedal and tuning. Think I'm also gonna try out those ultra thick strings too, I usually go heavy but not quite 13-66. The very idea arouses me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bongripper had to cancel their current tour, their van broke :stare:

katatonic
Mar 14, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bongripper had to cancel their current tour, their van broke :stare:

Yeah, I was planning on going to their show in Allston tonight when I got a message about it on Facebook. The realities of being in a small, niche band are pretty lovely I guess :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hey, at least you have a small chance of seeing them. Those small little niche bands never come to Ireland, or even the UK :sigh:

Also apparently Down played in Dublin last month and neither I nor my doom loving buddy heard about it at all :stare: Nothing on last.fm or the other place I check for Irish metal gigs. :negative:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Weedeater has a new video. My buddy plays the Mancoon.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Was anyone at YOB at le Poisson Rouge last night? It was my first time seeing them live, and they played every song I was hoping for, including Prepare the Ground and a Grasping Air duet with the lady from Dark Castle. It was so drat amazing, and afterwards I got to hug Mike and thank him for being so awesome. He even asked my name and introduced himself :3:. Definitely one of the friendliest and most personable artists I've met, it's worth talking to him after the show.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The Gasmask posted:

Was anyone at YOB at le Poisson Rouge last night? It was my first time seeing them live, and they played every song I was hoping for, including Prepare the Ground and a Grasping Air duet with the lady from Dark Castle. It was so drat amazing, and afterwards I got to hug Mike and thank him for being so awesome. He even asked my name and introduced himself :3:. Definitely one of the friendliest and most personable artists I've met, it's worth talking to him after the show.

Did they play "Burning the Altar"? I'm seeing them Monday and I want my eardrums to explode out my butthole.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

QPZIL posted:

Did they play "Burning the Altar"? I'm seeing them Monday and I want my eardrums to explode out my butthole.

Yes they did. It was bonecrushing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

fozzie dunlop posted:

Yes they did. It was bonecrushing.

gently caress I CAN'T WAIT

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

QPZIL posted:

gently caress I CAN'T WAIT

The setlist at Tuesday's show was something like this:

Quantum Mystic
Prepare the Ground
Burning the Altar
?? (Probably Ether, now that I think about it)
The Great Cessation
Grasping Air

I didn't recognize the middle song and there might have been one more in there. It was awesome and I hope you have fun at your show.

E: Just remembered what the "??" one was.

Oh, and they were using Dark Castle's drummer - I don't know if that's a permanent thing now or what.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 13, 2011

Chest3r
Dec 8, 2003
nutsack.
Just saw Big Business and Torche, GREAT as always. The openers, Helms Alee were superb too AND 2/3 chick, had no idea! Now I get YOB/Dark Castle/Hollow Leg on the 22nd WOOOOOOO

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
So pumped for this poo poo tomorrow night in Toronto, thanks for the setlist, that is pretty much exactly what I want to hear (with maybe "The Lie That Is Sin" for an encore) but christ that must be about a 2+ hour set.

Agustin Cienfuegos
May 7, 2008
Tangentially related:

I thought my fellow stoner/doom/sludge aficionados might enjoy checking out Sir Christopher Lee's album "Charlemagne: By the Sword and the Cross". Part opera/part metal, all parts badass.

Agustin Cienfuegos fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 14, 2011

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
you've got to be kidding

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That album is pretty good but it's not doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

For any fans of psychedelic, heavy doom, here's some free music from an Estonian duo called Talbot. EOS is really good, IMO.

http://talbot.bandcamp.com/