Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

It would probably make for a stronger LP to use every character, even the one everyone hates.

You know the one. Yeah, even him. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
Cloud and Barret, and whoever the hell you want for the rest of the game. No one separates the original AVALANCHE bros

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Captain Bravo posted:

The next character's has a tier 3 limit which hits 15 times, whereas Barret and the last character we'll get both have a limit that can hit 18 times. This means team multi-hit has the ability to dish out the most possible damage from three single moves. However, due to that thing you mentioned, the next character we'll be getting is almost necessary to do any serious endgame statgain farming, and isn't really all that bad anyway.

Son of a bitch! I forgot about that chainsaw! At least it's reliable, once he has limit. Forever. Until he dies. Which shouldn't happen.

EDIT: Wait you mean the cheeser. COME ON DO YOU PEOPLE SERIOUSLY CONSIDER USING THE INSTANT WIN LIMIT BREAK? Especially thanks to the the Square trick, it's so broken, you're not even playing a game, it's practically slot machine in slomo!

Xaiter fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 14, 2011

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Xaiter posted:

EDIT: Wait you mean the cheeser. COME ON DO YOU PEOPLE SERIOUSLY CONSIDER USING THE INSTANT WIN LIMIT BREAK? Especially thanks to the the Square trick, it's so broken, you're not even playing a game, it's practically slot machine in slomo!

No, he meant the Conformer for statgain farming. Gotta love damage formula bugs.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

dancingbears posted:

It would probably make for a stronger LP to use every character, even the one everyone hates.

No, never use him ever. Ever. :colbert: :colbert:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Whatever you decide, don't use Barret on the boat, so you can show what he does in the town afterward. Also the next character has great unique dialogue so use her a lot for plot sections.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 14, 2011

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Elentor posted:

Look, I'm no expert in holding guns, but there's something very wrong with this image here. Paging TFR

Skaw posted:

Not a TFR poster but..

"Point Shooting"

I thought about commenting on that first image with "trigger discipline" but I was more amused by the cosplayer using a toy replica of the Robocop pistol in the second image.
The point shooting thing is something I've never heard of before though, that's quite interesting.

MGlBlaze posted:

It's why I love Tifa's limit-break chain so much. She can piledrive/suplex/whatever-it-is ANYTHING. It looks rediculous and it's always funny to see her pick up these massive dangerous things while they just hold absolutely still while she smashes their skulls against the ground.

As I'm sure most people here know, monks have a history of doing that in this series.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Xaiter posted:

Wait, really? I thought Yuffie's multi-hit limit hit only 8-10 times and Barret's Ungarmax hit like 16 times. By end game, number of hits is really the only thing that matters.

Unless you're talking about Conformer?

EDIT: Hell, the only character I see worse than Yuffie is Red XII. The OTHER character at least gets an ultimate weapon that can instant-kill anything in the game thanks to a damage overflow bug.

Yuffie has the best limit break in the game; thanks to it being Tier 3 rather than 4, it charges faster than Cloud's and Cid's, and Barrett's best limit break hits more but for considerably less damage overall. Her ultimate weapon is probably the most useful in the game, and being a ranged character is always a great bonus.

A party of Cloud and the two spoiled characters above is pretty much the best party in the game power-wise. And IMO, the best party dialogue-wise as well. Having played through the game with all the characters, I now always default to this party when it becomes available.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
For the purposes of story flow, I always preferred using Tifa as one of the characters. Extremely vague spoiler: It felt like it made some later scenes make more sense and have more weight and credibility if she'd been sticking close to him the whole time.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
How about Yuffie and Cait Sith? Huh? Am I right, guys? :iamafag:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Yuffie, Cait Sith, and Vincent. For maximum Goon Rage. :colbert:

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

dancingbears posted:

This.
But for the immediate future - Cloud, Red and Aeris, then replace Aeris with the next character. We haven't really seen much of Red yet.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

Lance Streetman posted:

Yuffie, Cait Sith, and Vincent. For maximum Goon Rage. :colbert:

I dunno, seems like people don't really mind Yuffie, given all the people saying to use her. I'm surprised, I like Yuffie but I'm used to people telling me I'm crazy for that..

Anyway, voting for Yuffie and Tifa or Barret.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Personally, I'd like to see whoever will destroy bosses in the most embarrassing fashion when it comes to the videos.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I always missed Yuffie when playing as a kid. I had no idea how to get her.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Cannot Find Server posted:

and Barrett's best limit break hits more but for considerably less damage overall.

I don't know who told you this, but it's wrong. Even if you were, for some retarded reason, min/maxing limit damage without hitting the attack cap on your characters, spoilered's attack hits 15 times for 5/8 damage, and Barret's hits 18 times for 1/2 damage. That's a whole 3/8 of an attack more damage, and since you're obviously not hitting for 9999's (Because if you were, then the 18-hit is going to easily trump damage) then Barret loses out on maybe 2-3k.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Noreaus posted:

I always missed Yuffie when playing as a kid. I had no idea how to get her.

To be fair it isn't exactly intuitive from what I remember. If you don't have a guide that outright tells you how to find her, you pretty much just have to get lucky.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

MGlBlaze posted:

To be fair it isn't exactly intuitive from what I remember. If you don't have a guide that outright tells you how to find her, you pretty much just have to get lucky.

Indeed. When I was younger I was lucky and got her without too much trouble. I bought the game again this year for my psp and was rather annoyed when I found out that what I thought was a set event was actually governed by RNG. Believe it or not, I had, until then, always gotten into a fight with her on my first time stepping inside a forest.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 14, 2011

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gonna have to say Barret and Yuffie, who, despite the fact that I do not like the character type she represents, isn't actually all that bad. Then switch her out with Cid the very instant he's available.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

MGlBlaze posted:

Finding her isn't that difficult(you have to go through the area she appears in), but the right dialog options to recruit her could be.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

U.T. Raptor posted:

Finding her isn't that difficult(you have to go through the area she appears in), but the right dialog options to recruit her could be.

I thought she could be found in any forest in the world. Just that the game conveniently places you practically in front of one and it's stupid not to go looking for her in there.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I thought she could be found in any forest in the world. Just that the game conveniently places you practically in front of one and it's stupid not to go looking for her in there.

I'm pretty sure she can only be found in certain forests, and even then some of them have ridiculously low chances.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I waited to get her in my initial equipment game so I could get to Wutai with little trouble and buy a ton of those combat items then get her so the whole part would be simple. It was simple.

I really don't have much to say about character selection since at this point they really aren't that different in battle, except for Barret having some long-range weapons.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Bang-up job so far, Elentor.

Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris until she leaves, at which point put in Cid. Actually, you could swap Tifa out for Yuffie too at some point; the C/T/[A,C] party is what I used for most of my playthroughs of the game, and while I enjoyed it I feel like I should be encouraging more variety.

I guess what I'm trying to say is 'use whatever (but not Cait Sith, gently caress him)'.

Also is there any chance we'll get a gif of Cid running around as the map avatar? It is the goofiest drat thing and the four people following this who have not seen it really should.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Geez, no love for Vincent?

Gotta be Cloud (w/ Long Range), Barret, and Vincent when you get to that point in the game for ultimate ranged fun.

And if you could swap out Cloud, I'd totally have thrown Yuffie in there.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys, I said "next update", not "in 120 pages".

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

Elentor posted:

Guys, I said "next update", not "in 120 pages".

Seriously. I started getting confused, thinking I missed out on some way to get some characters early.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Use a GameShark and make a party of three Cait Siths.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Why are we spoilering character names? You learn their names when you get to name them, and at that point the player can be 100% sure that he's a party member.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Why are we spoilering character names? You learn their names when you get to name them, and at that point the player can be 100% sure that he's a party member.

Plus they're all in the manual.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain Bravo posted:

I don't know who told you this, but it's wrong. Even if you were, for some retarded reason, min/maxing limit damage without hitting the attack cap on your characters, spoilered's attack hits 15 times for 5/8 damage, and Barret's hits 18 times for 1/2 damage. That's a whole 3/8 of an attack more damage, and since you're obviously not hitting for 9999's (Because if you were, then the 18-hit is going to easily trump damage) then Barret loses out on maybe 2-3k.
All Barett needs is a high enough number and he will always trump damage, not all 9s.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Mega64 posted:

Use a GameShark and make a party of three Cait Siths.

This is an idea I can get behind (it's easier to slit their throat if they don't see you coming)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Captain Bravo posted:

It might not be considerably less damage, but that IS less damage. And considering you're not going to be hitting 9999 with a half-damage attack unless you've jacked your stats through the roof with sources (in which case, nothing in the game is a challenge anyway), that means he does lag behind in overall damage. Plus the other character is considerably faster than him, and will do more damage simply from getting more turns.

Magicpokey
Feb 16, 2011
I just caught up with the thread (reading as much as I can for a week). I'm voting for the next character in the party as well, but keep the pimp cloud going with all girls.

Also, great lp so far elentor, I'm really enjoying it.

Did they release FFVII on iOS like they did FFIII? Id love to play this on my iPad!

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Schwartzcough posted:

It might not be considerably less damage, but that IS less damage. And considering you're not going to be hitting 9999 with a half-damage attack unless you've jacked your stats through the roof with sources (in which case, nothing in the game is a challenge anyway), that means he does lag behind in overall damage. Plus the other character is considerably faster than him, and will do more damage simply from getting more turns.

But, if I remember correctly, Barret's attack looks cooler.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
The game breaking tricks and attention to characters and dialogue in this thread has kept me really entertained. It's been a while since I played this game, and looking at this LP it makes me feel there's a ton of details I missed.

For your party, just use whoever breaks the game in the most hilarious fashion.

Chawaka
Oct 26, 2007
Aeris and Tifa

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
Balanced party. Aeris for magic, either Barret or Tifa for smashy. I can't remember if Red XIII gravitates more toward physical or magic, or whether he's mixed.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Schwartzcough posted:

Once again, incorrect! Most of the final weapons have a special thing which will boost their attack. New person's final weapon is mostly concerned around it's special (And amazing) gimmick, so it doesn't have that great damage scaling. Barret's final weapon increases attack with the amount of AP on the weapon. This makes Barret one of only two characters who can actually deal so much damage with his final weapon that he can break the game. Even if you don't sperg out with Mastered materia, with the stuff you'd have available at endgame you can easily top out Barret's limit without having to do any source grinding.

Although, this doesn't counter your second point, that by this point nothing in the game is a challenge. But seriously, it's FFVII. Look at all the myriad ways the game is being broken this early on. It's harder not to bend the game completely over your knee by the endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Balanced party. Aeris for magic, either Barret or Tifa for smashy. I can't remember if Red XIII gravitates more toward physical or magic, or whether he's mixed.

Red's an all-rounder (he's even got weapons that attack from the back row in case you want him to be a dedicated spellcaster), but he's not that great in battle thanks to his weak Limits.

• Locked thread