Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

io_burn posted:

Heads up: Couch Potato now supports Twitter. I've got a private account for both it and Sick Beard now, and it's just awesome how well it works.

Wait, are you saying you can tweet at Couch Potato and it will download what you tell it to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skyydude
Sep 26, 2010

I searched the thread and the forums for this specific question, but I couldn't find anything pertinent. In short, I'm looking for another (better?) usenet provider.

I've been using Usenetmonster for 6 years (they resell Astraweb), and they've been good for what I pay ($95 a year, unlimited, 25 connections, SSL). However, I'm wondering if there isn't anything better for and speed, price, and retention (in that order).

I'm in Japan, with a 100 Mbps NTT fiber connection (great ISP, BTW). Interestingly, Astraweb routes my downloads thousands of miles away, literally half the world from where I am, from their Europe server farm. My downloads max out at 6.5 MB/s (~50 Mbit/s, half my ISP's capacity) from EU. AFAIK, I don't know of any usenet providers with geographically closer server farms other than Giganews. They're the only one I know of with a Hong Kong server farm, but they're too expensive for what I want to pay for unlimited usenet. I already asked my Japanese ISP if they knew of any usenet providers in Japan, and they said there were none.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks SA!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Well, since Supernews is simply Giganews under a different name, the obvious choice would be their $99/year plan.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

skyydude posted:

My downloads max out at 6.5 MB/s (~50 Mbit/s, half my ISP's capacity) from EU.

Holy crap, I'm jealous. I'm lucky to get 1.5 MB/s, sometimes 2. How much do you pay monthly?

Edit: I also have a 250 GB cap every month. Yay Comcast.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 14, 2011

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I didn't realize that dyndns is free. I'll have to look into it.

I find my account gets deleted from there every few weeks and I have to remake it. Maybe I should log in once a week so it doesn't think I'm idle. One of the drawbacks of a non-paid account I guess.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

The pHo posted:

I find my account gets deleted from there every few weeks and I have to remake it. Maybe I should log in once a week so it doesn't think I'm idle. One of the drawbacks of a non-paid account I guess.

Check your spam box. I think once a month I get an e-mail asking me to login to keep my account active.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

plester1 posted:

Wait, are you saying you can tweet at Couch Potato and it will download what you tell it to?

No, it just tweets what you've downloaded. I'm not sure why anyone would want this when CouchPotato already supports notif.io

The pHo posted:

Most routers have a feature to automatically update your dyndns account. There's also lots of software that does this for you automatically as well.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Most modern router firmware supports DynDNS natively. And DD-WRT has for a long time as well. Your account won't get deleted and you won't get warning emails if you setup your router with your DynDNS info.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thermopyle posted:

Most routers have a feature to automatically update your dyndns account. There's also lots of software that does this for you automatically as well.

My router is the Virgin Media superhub which is a rebranded Netgear with a different frontend and a ton of useful features (like dyndns) missing. It is a massive piece of poo poo.

Didn't know they sent emails, I sign up to most non-monetary based sites with a spam account that I never read. I'll swap it out for a real email address next time, cheers.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

skyydude posted:

I searched the thread and the forums for this specific question, but I couldn't find anything pertinent. In short, I'm looking for another (better?) usenet provider.

Usenetnow has 6 months for $48 each. so that is a slightly better price. http://www.usenetnow.net/holidays.html Can not say one way or the other how they will perform on 100 MBits in Japan but my little 20 MBit slice of the pie in the states performs well.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

td4guy posted:

Well, since Supernews is simply Giganews under a different name, the obvious choice would be their $99/year plan.

Thanks for pointing that out! Switching from the 9.99 to the 99$/yr plan as we speak.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

xenilk posted:

Thanks for pointing that out! Switching from the 9.99 to the 99$/yr plan as we speak.

Is there a way to do this without emailing support?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SlipperyNipple posted:

Usenetnow has 6 months for $48 each. so that is a slightly better price. http://www.usenetnow.net/holidays.html Can not say one way or the other how they will perform on 100 MBits in Japan but my little 20 MBit slice of the pie in the states performs well.

Except that it's Highwinds and thus about the worst choice you could make.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

duz posted:

Except that it's Highwinds and thus about the worst choice you could make.
Except it isn't. UsenetNow is the same company as Blocknews / FrugalUsenet, which runs off their own feed, as best as we can tell.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

inpheaux posted:

Except it isn't. UsenetNow is the same company as Blocknews / FrugalUsenet, which runs off their own feed, as best as we can tell.

Man, I keep getting these lesser known providers confused.

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008
UseNetNow uses Readnews which is probably the most reliable serverfarm. Less incompletes than Astraweb and Highwinds and less DMCA requests probably makes their completion higher than even Giganews.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
Isn't it easier to get a cheap nonexpiring block account (possibly in NL) for a backup server, than switching around hoping that the provider has the lowest dmca compliance?

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006
Free 50gb acct at newsDeamon (or 30days):

http://www.facebook.com/pages/NewsDemoncom-Newsgroups/95891717050

Guess I'll check it out and see what this whole usenet thing is about.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

MasterColin posted:

Free 50gb acct at newsDeamon (or 30days):

http://www.facebook.com/pages/NewsDemoncom-Newsgroups/95891717050

Guess I'll check it out and see what this whole usenet thing is about.

Please dont come away thinking the "norm" of Usenet is anything close to the poo poo show that is Highwinds / Newsdemon.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

SlipperyNipple posted:

Please dont come away thinking the "norm" of Usenet is anything close to the poo poo show that is Highwinds / Newsdemon.

I have had almost no issues with newsdemon since black Friday. Paired with a blocknews account, it'd be unstoppable.

However, at regular rates, paying for a different provider is a good choice.

skyydude
Sep 26, 2010

Corbet posted:

Holy crap, I'm jealous. I'm lucky to get 1.5 MB/s, sometimes 2. How much do you pay monthly?

Edit: I also have a 250 GB cap every month. Yay Comcast.

Sorry for the two day latency.

quote:

Service Name: Hikari Premium Family
Paid Amount: 24.15 -USD-

This country really is ridiculously great in many aspects, especially internet/technology. Or perhaps ISPs in the USA are just that bad--I always had cable in the states, and never paid less than about $60 a month for it, and all of the BS caps and monitoring that came with it. :(

Well anyway, thanks SA for the supernews recommendation, I did not realize they were a value reseller of giganews. I'm going to try it for $9.99 and see who's faster, between astraweb and giganews. Will post results for reference.

skyydude
Sep 26, 2010

A Supernews tech told me that I get auto-connected to the closest server no matter what address I use. And, they do still have an HK server, it's just not advertised on their site for some reason.

Downloading a 50-day-old linux ISO. 563 is SSL.
Giganews (through Supernews):

news.supernews.com:563 - 6.7 MB/s
news.supernews.com:119 - 8.5 MB/s
news.eu.supernews.com:563 - 6.5 MB/s
news.eu.supernews.com:119 - 8.7 MB/s

Astraweb (through Usenetmonster):
bignews.usenetmonster.com:563 - 5.6 MB/s
bignews.usenetmonster.com:119 - 9.2 MB/s

For grins, I set sabnzbd to connect to both servers. Well, I just had to take a screenshot of that one, cause I had trouble believing it myself. I'm pretty sure downloading linux ISOs is legal, but I blued the name out just to play it safe with the SA forum rules:

ANYWAY...

In conclusion, I should have never attempted this experiment. As you know, my originally intent here was to migrate to a different (better) usenet server. Now that I've seen how fast I can really get things, with the ability to use a different server to get missing blocks, I have decided to keep BOTH accounts active. :lol: So much for being frugal!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

skyydude posted:

Astraweb (through Usenetmonster)
^Newsreader.com
That's well over the speed I get over Comcast, but how much of that can you pull just using one service?

skyydude
Sep 26, 2010

Hogburto posted:

^Newsreader.com
That's well over the speed I get over Comcast, but how much of that can you pull just using one service?

Err, I posted that information above individually--it's in the high 8's in MB/s non-SSL, 6.5MB/s SSL, and never more than about 10.5MB/s combined, for two servers simultaneously (either SSL or non-SSL, it makes no difference when combined). That's actually the max speed I have gotten with speedtest.net as well.

I'm pretty darned happy with 80% of advertised 100Mbps, and I don't think I'll ever top what I have now considering everything else that's so great about this service.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

skyydude posted:

Err, I posted that information above individually
Hahahah, I really have no excuse. Don't know how I skipped over all that. I guess I just like looking at pretty pictures.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

skyydude posted:

A Supernews tech told me that I get auto-connected to the closest server no matter what address I use. And, they do still have an HK server, it's just not advertised on their site for some reason.

Downloading a 50-day-old linux ISO. 563 is SSL.
Giganews (through Supernews):

news.supernews.com:563 - 6.7 MB/s
news.supernews.com:119 - 8.5 MB/s
news.eu.supernews.com:563 - 6.5 MB/s
news.eu.supernews.com:119 - 8.7 MB/s

Astraweb (through Usenetmonster):
bignews.usenetmonster.com:563 - 5.6 MB/s
bignews.usenetmonster.com:119 - 9.2 MB/s

For grins, I set sabnzbd to connect to both servers. Well, I just had to take a screenshot of that one, cause I had trouble believing it myself. I'm pretty sure downloading linux ISOs is legal, but I blued the name out just to play it safe with the SA forum rules:

ANYWAY...

In conclusion, I should have never attempted this experiment. As you know, my originally intent here was to migrate to a different (better) usenet server. Now that I've seen how fast I can really get things, with the ability to use a different server to get missing blocks, I have decided to keep BOTH accounts active. :lol: So much for being frugal!

These speeds are unbelievable. At the beginning of this year, I was downloading at 700kb/s, now the infrastructure's been upgraded .. 1.7mb/s.

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

Lenins Potato posted:

Isn't it easier to get a cheap nonexpiring block account (possibly in NL) for a backup server, than switching around hoping that the provider has the lowest dmca compliance?

At the rate Astraweb is going the block accounts to fill up the incomplete parts will end up using more data transfer than the main Astraweb account.

I don't understand why everyone is getting BlockNews accounts to help bandage their provider with poor completion when the BlockNews people sell unlimited accounts over at UseNetNow for comparable prices. They have the same amount of retention as Astraweb and Giganews.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I have had almost no issues with newsdemon since black Friday. Paired with a blocknews account, it'd be unstoppable.

However, at regular rates, paying for a different provider is a good choice.

Is NewsDemon still cutting people off for using more than a few hundred gigabytes on their so-called "unlimited" plans? They are the only Usenet provider I have heard of doing this and that's why they stick out in my mind. It's a scummy thing to do. Reminds me of Comcast selling "unlimited" Internet with a 250 GB bandwidth cap. I've had no problems pushing terabytes of traffic on UseNetNow.

Odette posted:

These speeds are unbelievable. At the beginning of this year, I was downloading at 700kb/s, now the infrastructure's been upgraded .. 1.7mb/s.

They're not really, symmetrical 100/100 Mbps is very common in Japan, South Korea, and much of Europe. Actually it's pretty slow for those countries, you can now get symmetrical 1 Gbps fairly easy in some of those countries.

The States isn't completely broken. Verizon FiOS is available in millions of homes but it's a giant country. There's some municipal fiber providers who offer symmetrical 1 Gbps over here in the States. They're dotted about in small areas that have broken free from the cable/telecom monopolies and seen the light. It really puts things into perspective of what you could have, should have, as an American citizen. The giant evil cable/telecoms like AT&T and Comcast with their slow rear end speeds and bandwidth caps try their hardest to make sure the general American populace remains sheep and doesn't realize what a short end of the stick they're getting.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Sly Pistachio posted:

At the rate Astraweb is going the block accounts to fill up the incomplete parts will end up using more data transfer than the main Astraweb account.

I don't understand why everyone is getting BlockNews accounts to help bandage their provider with poor completion when the BlockNews people sell unlimited accounts over at UseNetNow for comparable prices. They have the same amount of retention as Astraweb and Giganews.

My blocknews acct hardly ever gets touched when using Astraweb. This month I pulled down 38.1GB from Astraweb and 23 megs from blocknews. Not exactly a big deal breaker. But relying on one news feed doesn't always seem the best idea, especially when all the big providers are getting more dmca takedowns, hardware problems aside. I also have one NL block account loaded up, but it hasn't been touched. Just a matter of time.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Is there anyway to manage sab, sickbeard and couchpotato on a different computer on my network? I want to run it on my htpc downstairs and download to the external harddrive that is connected to it, but manage it on my computer upstairs. Is this possible?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Raffles posted:

Is there anyway to manage sab, sickbeard and couchpotato on a different computer on my network? I want to run it on my htpc downstairs and download to the external harddrive that is connected to it, but manage it on my computer upstairs. Is this possible?

Have you tried using the private IP of the htpc? For example, from your browser upstairs access 10.0.1.2:8080 (I'm using 10.0.1.2 as an example. Yours may be like 192.168.1.105)? Or you could use a VNC type protocol.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Of course, just use the internal network IP:port of the machine upstairs in your web browser.

Assuming its not a windows network - IP of HTPC:Port so something like 192.168.1.200:8080/sabnzbd, plop in the login/pass you setup and you're good to go. Many people manage SAB like this.

edit: beaten

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Awesome. Thank you so much.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sly Pistachio posted:

The States isn't completely broken. Verizon FiOS is available in millions of homes but it's a giant country. There's some municipal fiber providers who offer symmetrical 1 Gbps over here in the States. They're dotted about in small areas that have broken free from the cable/telecom monopolies and seen the light. It really puts things into perspective of what you could have, should have, as an American citizen. The giant evil cable/telecoms like AT&T and Comcast with their slow rear end speeds and bandwidth caps try their hardest to make sure the general American populace remains sheep and doesn't realize what a short end of the stick they're getting.

Slight derail, but is there anything that can be done if a telecom (Comcast) has a choke hold on your area? Write your congressman? The mayor? Who?

I don't think there are any alternatives around here.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Corbet posted:

Slight derail, but is there anything that can be done if a telecom (Comcast) has a choke hold on your area? Write your congressman? The mayor? Who?

Start your own ISP. You have a couple hundred million set aside to buy right of way access, right?

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

Corbet posted:

Start a campaign in your city and get a lot of residents on board. Go to city council meetings and get local elected representatives on board. It's no easy task but some municipalities like Chattanooga, TN and Wilson, NC have successfully started rolling out their own fiber networks and they are amazing. Muni fiber networks in North Carolina became such a threat that AT&T and Time Warner Cable successfully got the corrupt elected state representatives to pass legislation making it much harder to build community broadband networks. There's a great article on the subject here.

Here's a map of states with laws written by the cable/telco monopolies that create barriers to a municipality starting their own broadband network:
http://www.muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-preemption-map

And here's a handy map of all the communities that have started their own broadband networks:
http://www.muninetworks.org/communitymap

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sly Pistachio posted:

I don't understand why everyone is getting BlockNews accounts to help bandage their provider with poor completion when the BlockNews people sell unlimited accounts
Because the idea is that they all have incompletes, but that what is broken on one isn't broken on the other.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Odette posted:

If I download my Linux distros in school I can get about 25 MB/s sustained on a good day from Giganews. Still only 1.4 MB/s at home though :sigh:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sly Pistachio posted:

Are people really having that much of a problem? I'm into my second year with Astra and can count on one hand the number of times something couldn't be repaired from the par set.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FWIW, I regularly download at ~8MB/s using Supernews + Charter Communications 60/5 package in midwest, USA.

I'm thinking about downgrading my package, though. I'm almost never sitting around waiting for something to download. With CouchPotato and Sickbeard, things are just there ready to be watched in XBMC when I sit down to watch TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I regularly download at ~8MB/s using Supernews + Charter Communications 60/5 package in midwest, USA.

I'm thinking about downgrading my package, though. I'm almost never sitting around waiting for something to download. With CouchPotato and Sickbeard, things are just there ready to be watched in XBMC when I sit down to watch TV.

I have 22Mbps down, I always max it out. They offer 55Mbps service, I thought about trying it out, but Usenet is the only thing that'll ever max it out. Nothing streams at that high a bitrate, Steam doesn't hit the cap unless you download in a dead period between sales, even normal HTTP downloads of software and such don't always hit it. No reason to go any higher for me.