Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

ChampRamp posted:

The thing that made me know it was fake was the Saturn bit. He didn't stay in touch with his closest friends, but this guy/family, he did? Come now.

Yeah, I considered that too. I'll get more details in person. I can't imagine she'd make that up. She's not really a fan or anything. Although I suppose an old mark doctor could exaggerate when telling some stories. Hopefully he never slammed a 1,200 lb giant in front of 150,000 people, brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

You're forgetting that Daniel didn't have Fragile X Syndrome, or any other disease for that matter. He was a healthy child.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Timby posted:

You're forgetting that Daniel didn't have Fragile X Syndrome, or any other disease for that matter. He was a healthy child.

Awwwww man. Maybe she's just a regular wrestling fan then and thought that somehow I wouldn't find that awesome. I dunno, I'll figure it out.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I hated Bobby Heenan's announcing in WCW it just seemed so phoned in. The only time Bobby seemed to be on top of his game was when he was paired with Dusty and Tony Schiavone. Mainly because him and Dusty would rightfully poo poo all over Tony any chance they got.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chunky Delight posted:

I hated Bobby Heenan's announcing in WCW it just seemed so phoned in. The only time Bobby seemed to be on top of his game was when he was paired with Dusty and Tony Schiavone. Mainly because him and Dusty would rightfully poo poo all over Tony any chance they got.

He did phone it in. No doubt. But there were times during broadcasts where instead of just cracking jokes, Heenan would provide insight that only a former manager could bring to a match. Small details you wouldn't catch into the psychology of a wrestlers intentions. The kind of stuff Zybysko was supposed to bring but never did since he was playing WCW Chess.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm torn between the commentary on this match. The four guys in the ring (La Parka, Silver King, Ciclopse and Damien 666) are trying to put on a good hardcore match, but Tenay and Heenan are having the biggest giggle fit I've ever seen during a wrestling match.

It's like NXT, but somehow worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BksvEZ1o6ps

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

I'm torn between the commentary on this match. The four guys in the ring (La Parka, Silver King, Ciclopse and Damien 666) are trying to put on a good hardcore match, but Tenay and Heenan are having the biggest giggle fit I've ever seen during a wrestling match.

It sounds like they're already goofy from all the stupid poo poo that happened before that match on that episode at the beginning so it's probably one of those instances where you just say 'gently caress it, how much worse could it get?"

That was a really fun match that I'd never seen before so thanks for posting it. Some crazy luchador chair shots going on there.

That spot where LaParka powerbombed Damien into two setup chairs that had no give at all looked brutal.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 14, 2011

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It sounds like they're already goofy from all the stupid poo poo that happened before that match on that episode at the beginning so it's probably one of those instances where you just say 'gently caress it, how much worse could it get?"

That was a really fun match that I'd never seen before so thanks for posting it. Some crazy luchador chair shots going on there.

That spot where LaParka powerbombed Damien into two setup chairs that had no give at all looked brutal.
Damien and Ciclopse wrestle hardcore matches all the time. They still do, in fact so if you're looking for more of those kinds of matches they're all over XPW and occasionally CZW

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly

Flameingblack posted:

That's not Tenay, that's Schiavone and Heenan.

Never seen that match before, thanks for posting.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

El Patron posted:

That's not Tenay, that's Schiavone and Heenan.

Never seen that match before, thanks for posting.
I was trying to go off memory because I'm at work. I'm upset that Tony is burring the cruiser-weights then, because that seemed to be the reason why they brought him in. To call flippy moves.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

I was trying to go off memory because I'm at work. I'm upset that Tony is burring the cruiser-weights then, because that seemed to be the reason why they brought him in. To call flippy moves.

You have your Tenays and Tonys mixed up. Tenay was brought in to talk about the luchadores, Tony is the long time play by play guy who laughs at luchadores getting hurt.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Hirams Bitch posted:

You have your Tenays and Tonys mixed up. Tenay was brought in to talk about the luchadores, Tony is the long time play by play guy who laughs at luchadores getting hurt talks about the nWo while luchadores are putting on a clinic, pausing occasionally to call a tope con hilo a sidewalk slam.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Hirams Bitch posted:

You have your Tenays and Tonys mixed up. Tenay was brought in to talk about the luchadores, Tony is the long time play by play guy who laughs at luchadores getting hurt.
Yeah, that's exactly what happened. :downs:

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Chunky Delight posted:

I hated Bobby Heenan's announcing in WCW it just seemed so phoned in.

Do you know who really phoned it in? Lee Marshall.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rusty Shackelford posted:

This took me a second but made me giggle like an idiot.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Should I really be surprised while watching the Best of Nitro DVD that they took out even the smallest mention of Benoit? I even went back to a VHS recording to confirm it on some occasions.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Did he ever do anything other than those WCW road reports? I can't remember.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mr. Carlisle posted:

He was a color guy on Thunder.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Mr. Carlisle posted:

He was also the voice of Tony the Tiger.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

When they needed multiple announce teams for World War 3, he worked at least one of those. He got decked by Kevin Sullivan during the Horseman-Dungeon of Doom brawl at WW3 96 (I think).

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Schiavone reacted to people (well, Mexican wrestlers anyway) getting cranked in a match like my three year old does. The casual racism of the WCW commentary crew was always equal parts awful and hilarious. Like when Heenan would sometimes say I SMELL SALSA! when a mexican wrestler got smashed.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Flameingblack posted:

I remember that back in 99, I used to point to this match as why I liked WCW better than WWF. I think in the same week, you could watch both Raw and Nitro in Canada, because Nitro was aired on Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon, WWF featured a hardcore match where people were throwing popcorn at each other and some poo poo. In my 14-year-old mind, this blew that out of the water.

In typical WCW fashion, though, Macho Man got covered in a bucket of sewage by Nash earlier in the show, and it eventually led to the infamous white hummer storyline.

VSorry bout the edit

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 15, 2011

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I remember that back in 99, I used to point to this match as why I liked WCW better than WWF. This match blew my 14-year-old mind.

...But yeah, commentary sucks.
WCW was definately putting on the better undercard matches in terms of wrestling. DDP/Raven/Benoit from Uncensored is one of my all-time favorite matches, and there were a ton of great curiserweight matches between all the out-standing talent they had there.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

WCW was definately putting on the better undercard matches in terms of wrestling. DDP/Raven/Benoit from Uncensored is one of my all-time favorite matches, and there were a ton of great curiserweight matches between all the out-standing talent they had there.

Unfortunately there was also poo poo like a Jerry Flynn match on seemingly every Nitro.

I still have no idea why they had like 160 guys in the back yet Jerry Flynn got screen time every week. And all the Konnan matches. Jesus christ, the Konnan matches. He was terrible and had a match almost every week as well.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Unfortunately there was also poo poo like a Jerry Flynn match on seemingly every Nitro.

I still have no idea why they had like 160 guys in the back yet Jerry Flynn got screen time every week. And all the Konnan matches. Jesus christ, the Konnan matches. He was terrible and had a match almost every week as well.

Flynn was strange. He was a jobber favourite when he wasn't even good at taking a beating. I bet he was a Martial Arts buddy of Eric Bischoff's.

Konnan made sense though. Konnan was over as gently caress in WCW.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DangerDummy! posted:

Schiavone reacted to people (well, Mexican wrestlers anyway) getting cranked in a match like my three year old does. The casual racism of the WCW commentary crew was always equal parts awful and hilarious. Like when Heenan would sometimes say I SMELL SALSA! when a mexican wrestler got smashed.

HITTIN HIM LIKE A PINATA TONY

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist
Somebody please speak up, if you know the answer. What the gently caress was the deal with Jerry Flynn? I watched every WCW show (shut up), and I don't know why he was there. His chest hair? His redneck Steve Blackman vibe? His poo poo mullet? "Lightning Foot?" His inexplicable temporary association with Jimmy Hart's lovely WCWSN version of the First Family? His later Russo-created specialty of fighting in the basement in lovely hardcore matches? What the gently caress was the deal and why was he always there? For gently caress's sake, he was on Starrcade '98. That's like a middle-aged, immobile, ugly Darren Young being on Wrestlemania.

I'm sorry, I just forgot about that inexplicable son of a gently caress and all those high school memories of yelling about him with my friends just rushed back.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Minges posted:

Somebody please speak up, if you know the answer. What the gently caress was the deal with Jerry Flynn? I watched every WCW show (shut up), and I don't know why he was there. His chest hair? His redneck Steve Blackman vibe? His poo poo mullet? "Lightning Foot?" His inexplicable temporary association with Jimmy Hart's lovely WCWSN version of the First Family? His later Russo-created specialty of fighting in the basement in lovely hardcore matches? What the gently caress was the deal and why was he always there? For gently caress's sake, he was on Starrcade '98. That's like a middle-aged, immobile, ugly Darren Young being on Wrestlemania.

I'm sorry, I just forgot about that inexplicable son of a gently caress and all those high school memories of yelling about him with my friends just rushed back.

He has a legit black belt in taekwondo and fought in professional martial arts tournaments so he probably got a "legit badass" push from the bookers that never came across on TV.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Flameingblack posted:

That was in 98. By the summer of 99 WCW's undercard, especially on PPV was a loving mess. WCW didn't have a single decent PPV in the second half of the year. They massacred the undercard and the main events were as awful as ever.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

That was in 98. By the summer of 99 WCW's undercard, especially on PPV was a loving mess. WCW didn't have a single decent PPV in the second half of the year. They massacred the undercard and the main events were as awful as ever.

Yeah, 1999 was an example of how WCW really lost control but things weren't so bad in terms of ratings. Ratings were dropping but they still were getting good viewership.

If there's a year that's easy to re-book and give WCW some hope, it's 1999. Once Russo comes in, things got so hosed up it was impossible.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I just bid $5 on ebay for an autographed photo of Glacier. I'm sure it's fake, but it's still real to me dammit.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Moose Bigelow posted:

He has a legit black belt in taekwondo and fought in professional martial arts tournaments so he probably got a "legit badass" push from the bookers that never came across on TV.

There was a quote on one of the WCW pre or post shows from the start of the Russo reign where he commented he saw a lot of talent in Flynn. "Can you imagine if the WWE had him up against Butterbean, instead of Bart Gunn? He would've been a big star."

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I just bid $5 on ebay for an autographed photo of Glacier. I'm sure it's fake, but it's still real to me dammit.

I'm still mad that I was too late to bid on that autographed Norman Smiley trading card that went for like 2 bucks.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm still mad that I was too late to bid on that autographed Norman Smiley trading card that went for like 2 bucks.

I would buy so much stupid poo poo like that off ebay, if they didn't charge $10+ shipping on everything.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

I would buy so much stupid poo poo like that off ebay, if they didn't charge $10+ shipping on everything.

Oh god yes.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Speaking of ebay, some guy is selling treasures like WCW Slamboree 2000 on VHS for $143.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

MassRayPer posted:

I actually watched Mayhem that year, I didn't think it was that bad of a PPV. Certainly better than all the poo poo that would come afterwards.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

triplexpac posted:

Speaking of ebay, some guy is selling treasures like WCW Slamboree 2000 on VHS for $143.

I really hope you missed a decimal point there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

I actually watched Mayhem that year, I didn't think it was that bad of a PPV. Certainly better than all the poo poo that would come afterwards.

That is the one PPV that would strive for a C-, but in the end it is just so loving Russo. Sid/Goldberg is blown off in a 5 minute I Quit match, there are way too many tournament matches and Benoit/Hart isn't close to the level it was on free TV a month earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Was that the Sid/Goldberg where Sid looked like a murder victim and it was stopped or was that Halloween Havoc