Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Oh my god, and he's in a purple loincloth too. Excellent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sunder is the go-to feat for that fight.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

For those in the audience with a poor memory...

Roy and Thog are nothing alike.

For added irony, Belkar describes what Roy did as 'going all Lou Ferrigno'. Lou Ferrigno is who played the Hulk in the 70s tv series.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 11, 2011

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
"Do the refs call it now?" Seriously, Roy? You seriously think this was anything but a fight to the death? :raise:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
loving finally

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Affi posted:

I profusely apologize, you were right, I was much happier.

Remember when Christopher Judge first heard about furries? Yeah. You're there. :)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ha, I remember the whole 'Thog isn't really Roy's opposite' argument being played out on the OOTS forums over and over again. I wonder how long Burlow has had this scene stored up for.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

"Do the refs call it now?" Seriously, Roy? You seriously think this was anything but a fight to the death? :raise:
Not up on gladiatorial procedure, are we?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I'm trying to find that particular comic, I think it was order of the stick, where they're talking about "Yay I am a paladin" and then the other guy says something like "it's sad that you have to exist, it means there is great evil" and then something about the great evil king living a happy long life until the last 30 seconds during which he's vanquished by some paladin.

I've tried searching on many of those terms, any one have other clues? Is it indeed an OOTS comic?

I have the best taste in this whole damn place

Vehementi posted:

Is it indeed an OOTS comic?

Doesn't ring a bell to me. Then again my memory's sketchy at best.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Vehementi posted:

I'm trying to find that particular comic, I think it was order of the stick, where they're talking about "Yay I am a paladin" and then the other guy says something like "it's sad that you have to exist, it means there is great evil" and then something about the great evil king living a happy long life until the last 30 seconds during which he's vanquished by some paladin.

I've tried searching on many of those terms, any one have other clues? Is it indeed an OOTS comic?

I believe this is the sequence where Elan and his father are talking, the one with the wine glass sipping and so forth. I can't remember the exact comic, but I'll try to find it.

EDIT: This might be it http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html

Post poste fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 12, 2011

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Post poste posted:

I believe this is the sequence where Elan and his father are talking, the one with the wine glass sipping and so forth. I can't remember the exact comic, but I'll try to find it.

EDIT: This might be it http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html

That is exactly it, thank you!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Update! More proof which class is better, fighter or barbarian. :smug:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Poil posted:

Update! More proof which class is better, fighter or barbarian. :smug:

Whoa. That was brutal.

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn

I thought we were uploading the pages

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Roy Greenhilt: Fighter. Subclass; Two handed weapon ( exotic )

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

As someone who's never had the luxury of playing 3.5, is this accurate? If so, I think I've switched my choice of class for my first melee character.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

DrakePegasus posted:

As someone who's never had the luxury of playing 3.5, is this accurate? If so, I think I've switched my choice of class for my first melee character.

Thematically, yes. Mechanically, no.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

It's possible that Thog is a Frenzied Berserker, and just generally too stupid and mellow to ever frenzy. But GOOD GOD do not EVER piss of a Frenzied Berserker.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
More or less accurate. Barbarians are basically fighters only better, and they get some really overwhelming prestige classes, frenzied berserker being the most infamous. When in a frenzy, you simply attack literally everyone. Friends, enemies, uninvolved children.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

More or less accurate. Barbarians are basically fighters only better, and they get some really overwhelming prestige classes, frenzied berserker being the most infamous. When in a frenzy, you simply attack literally everyone. Friends, enemies, uninvolved children.

Not to mention a sincere amount of damage reduction. You can destroy nearby nurseries all day (10 rounds) and not even bloody your fists in the process.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Welp.

Would be hilarious if Roy ends up needing to be rezzed again.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Well not necessarily, Roy is a very poorly built fighter according a lot of what we know about him. He is incredibly specialized for his sword, and without it a barbarian can tear him to shreds. Also the barbarian is getting some gm houserules/judgement calls hardcore, since barbarians (criminally) do not get the ability to use enemy combatants as weapons. Fun Fact, there is a fighter feature and powerset in 4e that does exactly that.

Like melee vs melee in 3.5 is the only place where melee characters shine, but they shine in intensely situational ways. Thog has the upper hand right now because Roy cannot fight defensively, he cannot benefit from a great deal of his feats, and of course, the plot is against him.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Well, uh... I guess Roy's dead again.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Well, uh... I guess Roy's dead again.

Boulder to the head? He's fine.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Boulder to the head? He's fine.

Whether the head hits the ground or the ground hits the head, it's going to be bad for the head.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Roy is not dead yet (though its possible that he will in the future die then get a quick revive,) as there are no Xes in his eyes. You can see that he has a pissed off eyebrow in the last panel though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

DrakePegasus posted:

Play a cleric, you'll be a better melee fighter.

Poor Roy.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

If this was 3.5 they both would have been chargers and this battle would have been finished the strip it began in.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Hypocrisy posted:

If this was 3.5 they both would have been chargers and this battle would have been finished the strip it began in.

You mean "Whoever goes first, wins"? True, but that poo poo is boring.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Roy should be a Warblade and actually get a benefit from his Intelligence score sometimes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

wdarkk posted:

Roy should be a Warblade and actually get a benefit from his Intelligence score sometimes.
One of the subtlest jokes in the entire series is that the only character who's properly min-maxed is Elan.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Roy needs more badass scenes.

Roy always needs more badass scenes. I can't be the only guy sick of Thog by this point.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Roy is going to be totally useless from a numbers standpoint if he dies again. A fighter 2+ levels behind and minus 2 charisma may be useful as a torchbearer or a packmule I guess.

My guess is Deus Ex Belkara.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
You know who else hit Roy in the face and yelled at him to stop talking?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

CapnAndy posted:

One of the subtlest jokes in the entire series is that the only character who's properly min-maxed is Elan.

Durkon.

Apparently Thog too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hypocrisy posted:

Durkon.

Apparently Thog too.

There's not much min/maxing to a Cleric.

It goes like this:

"Be a Cleric"

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It goes like this:

"Be a Cleric"

Primary Stat: Wisdom
Secondary Stats: Whatever the gently caress you want

Clerics get the best spells for buffing and enhancing their abilities. They can improve their Base Attack to full progression (like a fighter or barbarian), have the "animal buff" spells (Bull's Strength, etc), early access to Deflection bonuses to AC, can make you immune to enchantments. Clerics rock!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

You can be a bad Cleric, it's just that they're called Shugenja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Captain Oblivious posted:

It goes like this:

"Be a Cleric"

Take Magic as a Domain.

Congratulations! You've beaten Dungeons and Dragons 3.5!

I hope things will start moving in this arc, finally.